Message Boards

Topic : Spanking: Useful or Cruel?

Number of Replies: 2264
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:50:41 pm
Author : dataimport
Is spanking a necessary evil or can you discipline effectively without physical punishment? Sound off about spanking.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 2, 2008, 2:02 pm CDT

Spanking useful,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I believe that spanking can be useful in certain situations, I do however do not believe that it is an opportunity to beat your child because you are angry. i think that each situation should be thought about before any type of punishment is given out.

September 2, 2008, 5:12 pm CDT

Spanking: Useful or Cruel?

I used to spank my kids when they were younger. I stopped out of fear of someone reporting me to MCFD for beating my children. Now they get time outs, which seem to be effective (so far).

September 2, 2008, 5:28 pm CDT

Spanking is cruel

I  speak from experience in saying that spanking is nothing but cruel.
It, in no way, promotes discipline int he home.

I am a victim of child abuse. The "discipline" used in my household was spanking or rather beating. If one of us did something wrong or even was blamed for doing something wrong there was no warning, no explanation, and worst of all no taking the time to figure out if it was even the right kid that was being punished. My mom would immediately start screaming at the top of her lungs and grab the closest thing to her and hit us with it. Or just slap our mouths or spank our butt. People may say that spanking doesn't hurt very much so it is okay but at least the way my mom spanked, it was quite painful especially when she was especially angry.

The only thing I can understand is if a child is about to touch a hot stove or something else that can hurt them it would make since to slap the\ir hand away so they can't touch it but even that would not be painful, shoking but not painful. However, the way I was "spanked" created a very hostile environment for me. Causing me to fear my mom and my brothers because they were shown by this form of "discipline" that it was okay to hit, kick, throw things, and bully me.  She would also name call especially after she had spanked me and if I cried she would threaten more physical abuse and call me names such as; cry baby, brat, B!tch, e.t.c.

I believe spnking leads to more physical punishment and causes children to fear their parents. I fear my parents and am often afraid to ask questions or to be open with them. I don;t feel comfortable with my family as I should or safe with them. And I know that the largest cause is the "discipline" they chose and the constent yelling and name calling.

Spanking is Cruel, plain and simple.

September 5, 2008, 4:11 pm CDT

Spanking is also sexual abuse

Spanking a child with their pants pulled down is often sexual abuse in addition to physical abuse. A child who is old enough to be embarrassed and humiliated by their private parts being exposed is experiencing sexual abuse whether or not the parent  means it as such. The buttocks are an erogenous zone. This type of spanking is particularly harmful to female children who often grow up associating pain and humiliation with sex. I grew up with a mother who turned me over to my father to be spanked in this way with a large wooden paddle until his arm was tired. Does this still affect my at 45?  Yes.  It should be against the law to do to a child what would send you to jail if you did to your neighbor.  Children are not chattel.

September 5, 2008, 10:24 pm CDT

Spanking: Useful or Cruel?

Quote From: jasper34

Spanking a child with their pants pulled down is often sexual abuse in addition to physical abuse. A child who is old enough to be embarrassed and humiliated by their private parts being exposed is experiencing sexual abuse whether or not the parent  means it as such. The buttocks are an erogenous zone. This type of spanking is particularly harmful to female children who often grow up associating pain and humiliation with sex. I grew up with a mother who turned me over to my father to be spanked in this way with a large wooden paddle until his arm was tired. Does this still affect my at 45?  Yes.  It should be against the law to do to a child what would send you to jail if you did to your neighbor.  Children are not chattel.
So...how about people who pinch or pat their child's butt out of affection?

Just so you know, not everyone feels the butt is an erogenous zone.  Different body parts can have different meanings depending on what is happening and how.

I have breasts, they can be sexual or they can be used to feed my off spring. When my daughter was sucking on my breasts it was not sexual. When my husband sucks on my breasts it's sexual.

When my mom, even now at 29, slaps my butt it is a sign of affection that I like and have liked since my childhood. I also pat and pinch my daughters butt out of affection. This is not sexual.

I am against spanking, but this argument falls short.

September 12, 2008, 6:13 pm CDT

spanking my tail bone

spanking are curl they are teaching your kids a lesson from right are. My mom spanks me. but in the end showing me that she care for me and wants me to do the right thing.

September 12, 2008, 7:14 pm CDT

spanking

ok i guess i need to break this down  my mother spank us my dad only if he had too

i think that if your don't  spank your kid some one else will do it for you being the police when they shoot them

FEAR worked and when i said grief is -- we never cause our parents to have to  come to the jail to get us out of trouble

See there is a difference with white folks and they way they raise there kids

and black people raise there different when  there is a two parent home.

so i spank them only if they need it ok

September 17, 2008, 12:09 am CDT

Can Someone help me?

OK

It sucks to have a name that is similar to a celebrity.  Gale Norton was the Secretary of the Interior.  On Dr. Phil's advice, I googled my name, Gail Norton, and all I get are articles/slams about her!  I guess I'm happy about that, but our names are not spelled the same, I have never been Secretary of the Interior, and I need to know what to do about this!  God on have mercy on you if your name is Brittnay Spears!

October 27, 2008, 7:14 pm CDT

Most Useful - Its Cruel Not To Spank

Today in Australia, Kids are becoming more and more unruly, due to the fact that no one can legally touch them anymore. Parents are not allowed to spank children, and teachers cant touch a child at all.

I have seen first hand, children who have decided they didnt like what was happening in class, so they left. Just got up and left the classroom. The teacher cant do a thing. Another child I know played up at school so much that he now gets to stay home everyday. He loves it, he is a very smart child, and knows exactly what he is doing, manipulating both the teachers and his parents to stay home each day, under the guise of ADHD. 

More so every day there are more and more kids, doing ridiculous things at school, and in our streets at night, all because of a lack of discipline. Spanking is not assault, it is a neccesary discipline tool.

I have spanked my son a few times, and generaly no longer have to.

As a rule, in my opinion, explain to the child what they have done is wrong, and why, and dont do it again. If they persist, then, whack!!!. "You Were Told"

In the future, a child with no discipline, or no idea of consequences for their actions, will continue to do as they please into adult hood, and once there, they will learn much more harshly what a real spanking is in jail.

Spare the Rod - Ruin the Child.  

October 27, 2008, 7:26 pm CDT

Spanking in schools

I come from a school in Australia. Corporal punishment is not allowed at my school and after watching an old episode of Dr. Phil I have become aware that corporal punishment is allowed in American schools. Having come from a school where punishment doesn't exist I can say that the teaching of right and wrong is still performed in my school.

Punishment isn't the correct way of teaching valuable life lessons as kids often resent people who preform these acts. I for one should know this. At my school problem students are excluded from class room activities and are sometimes removed from all their classes for a certain amount of time or even the school.

This type of discipline seems to be affective at my school as exclusion from peers seems to be more hurtful than writing lines. To find out that kids in America can be beaten with wooden paddles makes me glad to live in Australia.

Their should be no need to take a plank of wood to a child's behind. Actions like this are socially and ethically not acceptable. Kids who want to learn at my school often grow bad behavior and those who don't behave struggle to fit in and complete work. Problem kids at my school seem to disappear as the higher up we graduate the harder it is for them to learn.

People who like spanking kids should know that the kids that they do spank will remember and hold it against them for a very long time.

First | Prev | 219 | 220 | 221 | 222 | 223 | 224 | 225 | 226 | Next | Last