Message Boards

Topic : Things That Worked For Us

Number of Replies: 232
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:51:05 pm
Author : dataimport
Has one method of discipline worked really well for you? Don't keep it a secret - share it with us!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 13, 2005, 11:16 pm CST

Things That Worked For Us

Ok,im at a complete loss 

I have a son that is 3 1/2 and a daughter that 6 months. 

My son has over the last year became very trying(for lack of a better word), 

-He constantly cries over everything 

-never does what hes told,ever 

-Wont listen to simple requests(quiet ,go sit down etc.) 

-Always screaming demands 

-gotten sneaky and hides to do things hes been told not to do 

Now i know most of you are thiking,typical child,so whats the problem? 

I think it might be me, 

Ever since my daughter has been born ive lost all patience with my son,i get irritated really really fast and i cant stop it.I yell and scream,and ive even started to slap his thighs or upper arms in anger. 

Hes now started to repeat things  ive said to him and redirect them back at me,which is really not helping the situation. 

Im not sure what to do,sometimes i wonder if its possible that maybe it could be Postpardem since i have recently given birth (6 months ago) and i am also very emotional and can cry at nothing (and do!).When i had my son and daughter i had baby blues but they went away. 

Im not scared i'll hurt him physically (other that the odd slap to the leg/arm),im worried that he is picking up on my anger and is showing it now himself. 

I dont know what to do,i recently moved to a new city and know nobody and have no family here so i have nobody to talk to about it and i know if i did i would end up breaking down crying. 

My husband is also starting to show frustration at my sons behavior but hes not here during the day when my son and i battle. 

Anybody kinda understand , have gone through this or have any advise? 

I need to learn how to correct my sons bad behavior with patience.......how though? 

November 14, 2005, 9:20 am CST

Disciplining my step-son

I need help!  I have a step son that moved with my husband and me in April.  He is nine.  On his last report card, his grades went from A's and B's to B's and C's.  He has "needs improvement" on everything including "effort and attitude".  We sit down just about every night and have homework time.  We've taken away privilages such as watching television.  My step-son lied just last night about having homework.  My husband and I don't know how to go about making my step son care about anything other than sports. 

November 19, 2005, 10:56 pm CST

19 month old - and in need of advice

I have a 19 month old son, I am in need of advice from those of you "wiser" ones ;) I am at a loss for ideas for disciplining, he is getting into the terrible twos, throwing fits, pulling hair, throwing things and otherwise doing things he knows he's not supposed to do. He doesn't act up ALL the time, just sometimes, and when he does I had tried time out, first I started with a minute, set up a good time out place in his room.  

I was concerned about having to make him stay put (due to his age) so I set up an old playpen (that he never uses anymore) to use as time out, the first few times he would cry, then he stopped. I tried increasing the time to a minute and a half and that didn't work either. He doesn't have anything to do in there but yet it seems like its a game to him, sometimes I even go back in to get him and he doesnt want out!!!! What a punishment, huh.  

I have been trying spanking his butt, he can't really feel it since he has a diaper on, and that seems to work. He stops what he's doing, lays on the floor, throws his fit like he's upset because he was told no and I walk away. He normally doesn't go back to that behavior immediately. The problem I have with that is I don't want to teach him it's ok to "hit"  

Anyone have any other  ideas????   

November 28, 2005, 2:56 pm CST

Strong Willed Child

I have three girls ages two, four, and six years old. They are all wonderful girls. However, my four year old Samantha is quite the handful. She says very mean hurtful things to her dad, sisters, and anyone she is around. She hits everyone. She is teaching the baby Faith to do the same things. I don't know what to do anymore. I have tried spanking, time-out, taking away toys and things she enjoys, etc. Nothing seems to work.  

She says things like " I don't love you" "I wish you would just go away" "I hate you." One day we were in the McDOnalds parking lot waiting to get to the drive through and some people walked in front of the car she said "just run them over, I will when I get big." Does anyone else have problems like this? Is there anything I can do to change this behavoir?  

Going crazy mommy 

Lisa 

November 30, 2005, 7:58 am CST

Please Help!!!!!

Somebody please help me!  I feel like I am at the end of my rope.  I have a 20 month old who is in to spitting his milk.  He drinks out of a sippy cup.  Our first change was to only let him drink at the table, no exceptions.  That way he wasn't spitting on the floor or couch.  But he is still doing it.  He spits it on the table and then likes to play in it.  Again, I am right there, and I take the milk away saying, "no spitting" and clean it up.  I know that his attention span isn't too long, so after five or ten minutes if he asks for milk I will give it to him again.  (If he asks for it right away I say, "no, you were spitting.")  I try to remind him and reinforce no spitting before I give it to him. 

I am very frustrated.  This has been going on for about two months now.  And it is EVERY time he drinks- milk or water.  I am getting close to losing it.  Any suggestions?  Anyone been through this?  My 3 1/2 year old never did this.  Please help!!!!! 

December 1, 2005, 7:07 am CST

Terrible twos

Hi everyone. I need help, again. I have an almost 2 1/2 year old and she is drving me crazy! For the last couple weeks, she has started a new routine. We get home from daycare, I turn on Wiggles so I can make dinner, in peace, as soon as I turn it off, she starts. If I say something or ask her to do something that she doesn't like, she screams. Her brother (who is 15 mo.) could be playing with a toy for half an hour, then she decides she wants it, and if she can't have it, she creams. And when I say screams, I mean at the top of her lungs. In the morning, she hasn't wanted to get up, and when I try to get her dressed, she starts crying and goes limp so its hard to get her ready. My husband works two jobs so alot of the time I am like a single parent, however when he is home, she is not like this with him. I seen on "Nanny 911" to do the "naughty chair" thing. I have only done it a couple times so I don't think it has sunk in, but is she too young to grasp the idea behind it? I do believe in spanking to a certain extent, but I try not to use it. I was abused as a child and I want to break the cycle of hitting for discipline. I am really losing my patience. What are some things that work?? Someone please help!

December 1, 2005, 7:32 am CST

Quote From: nsoriano

Hi everyone. I need help, again. I have an almost 2 1/2 year old and she is drving me crazy! For the last couple weeks, she has started a new routine. We get home from daycare, I turn on Wiggles so I can make dinner, in peace, as soon as I turn it off, she starts. If I say something or ask her to do something that she doesn't like, she screams. Her brother (who is 15 mo.) could be playing with a toy for half an hour, then she decides she wants it, and if she can't have it, she creams. And when I say screams, I mean at the top of her lungs. In the morning, she hasn't wanted to get up, and when I try to get her dressed, she starts crying and goes limp so its hard to get her ready. My husband works two jobs so alot of the time I am like a single parent, however when he is home, she is not like this with him. I seen on "Nanny 911" to do the "naughty chair" thing. I have only done it a couple times so I don't think it has sunk in, but is she too young to grasp the idea behind it? I do believe in spanking to a certain extent, but I try not to use it. I was abused as a child and I want to break the cycle of hitting for discipline. I am really losing my patience. What are some things that work?? Someone please help!
She is not too young for time outs, you have to be consistent and stick to the dicipline, do not give in. Maybe instead of turning the tv on, you can give her an activity to do at the table while you are fixing dinner. and redirect her to another toy that she would enjoy playing with and if she screams, throws a fit, walk away from her and ignore it, it is just an attention getter and the more you make a big deal out of it the worse it will get.

December 1, 2005, 7:59 am CST

Quote From: jettav

She is not too young for time outs, you have to be consistent and stick to the dicipline, do not give in. Maybe instead of turning the tv on, you can give her an activity to do at the table while you are fixing dinner. and redirect her to another toy that she would enjoy playing with and if she screams, throws a fit, walk away from her and ignore it, it is just an attention getter and the more you make a big deal out of it the worse it will get.
Thank you. My husband says to ignore her too. I live in an apartment, so I hate having her scream. I don't want people thinking I am beating her. I definatly will try the table thing though. Thank you again.

December 3, 2005, 10:06 am CST

I need help!

I need help!  I totally admit that I have lost control of my kids.  I have been out-gunned, outfoxed, and out numbered.  I'm getting ready to surrender because I just don't know what else to do.  My kids are disgusting little piggies and don't listen.  I have tried every punishment that I can think of and nothing is working.  Yesterday I took every single toy away from them and told them they could earn them back one toy at a time.  My house is disgusting and I have decided to not clean it anymore.  The kids are making the mess and they need to help clean it.  I am not their maid and I will no longer clean up after them.  My daughter is 8 and then I have 2 sons ages 4 and just shy of 2.  They are old enough to know that you don't throw food on the floor and you clean up after yourselves but they won't do it.  Literally nothing works as punishments.  They have gone 10 days with no TV, 8 days with no computer, there toys have now all been taken away, they hate standing in the corner but even making them do that is not inspiration to clean, spanking and yelling don't work either.  I just don't know what to do anymore.  How can I get my kids to act like children instead of animals?  How can I get them to listen to me?  I am prepared to do anything that can be done to get them to pick up after themselves.  Please give me advice!!

December 3, 2005, 5:30 pm CST

Help

I am starting to get frustrated with my 3 year old son...We just got a new puppy and all he does is chase the puppy around and let the dog bite him..He just doesn't listen.  I tell him the same thing over and over until i'm blue in the face..I feel like all i do is yell at him.  If anyone has any suggestions please help...Bedtime is a hassle and he screams all the time.. he is a handful and sometimes it's embarassing because i can't get anything done or go anywhere without yelling at him all the time.  He constantly argues and says no to everything.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last