Message Boards

Topic : We Disagree On Punishment

Number of Replies: 185
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:51:36 pm
Author : dataimport
"My husband is a spanker, but I don't believe in hitting my child." "My son knows he can run to my wife when I've told him no." Does this sound familiar? Tell us your story.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 9, 2006, 10:36 am CDT

disrespect

Quote From: writerbug2

Are you saying that I should talk to my husband about his disrespect with me?

Meaning with his sons disrespect or my husband disrespect with me   

May 16, 2006, 8:17 am CDT

Punishment/discipline

I  would like some opinions.  My husbands coworker has a punishment for her children when they are disrespectful, sassy, and think they deserve everything.  She takes everything out of their bedrooms, and they have to earn it back.  And I mean everything, from pillows and blankets, to stuff on the walls.  I'm not sure exactly how I feel on this matter, but wonder if something like this would help my sons behaviour.  Any response is appreciated.   When I told my ex-husband about this punishment, he told me it was child abuse?

May 16, 2006, 8:30 am CDT

We Disagree On Punishment

Quote From: burgie70

I  would like some opinions.  My husbands coworker has a punishment for her children when they are disrespectful, sassy, and think they deserve everything.  She takes everything out of their bedrooms, and they have to earn it back.  And I mean everything, from pillows and blankets, to stuff on the walls.  I'm not sure exactly how I feel on this matter, but wonder if something like this would help my sons behaviour.  Any response is appreciated.   When I told my ex-husband about this punishment, he told me it was child abuse?
discipline is about teaching and guiding a child into learning how to make good/right choices. Taking things away is not abuse unless it is the need of the child such as food and exercise, schooling,and so forth pictures on the wall and toys are not a neccessity of life. I personally would not go as far as taking blankets, and a pillow away, unless it was a favorite one maybe and replace it with another til they earned it back. There is nothing wrong with taking something away, but I think taking something that they like very well would be the thing to do, not neccessarily everything. Whatever the case, I do think you and his father need to be on the same place page with discipline and other major issues otherwise, the child will learn to manipulate and use one paretn against the other and that is not good. you and your ex need to discuss this and figure out a solutiont hat both of you can agree with, then your some will know and understand the boundaries.

May 16, 2006, 10:20 am CDT

Quote From: burgie70

How's it working for her?  Have the behaviors stopped?  Her punishments seem extreme to include bedding, a basic need.  If her kids are anything like my daughter, it would never work because not only is she strong-willed, but she could care less about the items and saw it as a way for me to clean her room!  I tried it once, removing her toys from her bedroom.  She thanked me and didn't want them back!  Guess that backfired, lol!

What has worked are time-outs, groundings from things my kids are interested in, inability to participate in a family fun activities or playing with friends, as well as assigning extra chores without pay.  What also might happen with the mother who removes absolutely everything that the child has to earn back, it may build resentment and retaliation for the extremes she's placing on the situations.   If it continues for long periods of time, other psychological issues may also arise that may deplete her kids' self-esteem and quit caring and quit trying to earn absolutely everything in their room back.

June 28, 2006, 9:01 am CDT

Spanking no way

My fiance and I totally disagree on our parenting.  My daughter is a typical 3 year old little girl.  I was not only hit I was abused by my mother. I feel you should never put your hands on a child.  They are so small Compared to an adult hands.  There is time outs!!! Be patient.!!!   

Taking toys away.  SPANKING IS THE EASY WAY OUT!!!!!!!!!!!  Would you hit someone your own size if they did not listen to you NO WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!  So why hit a little person who looks up to us    

My fiance understands where I come from but we disagree on spanking.    

June 28, 2006, 1:40 pm CDT

What's REALLY going on?

Quote From: catfish05

My 13 yr old daughter brought home a bad report card. It had a 50 in math a57 in language and a 69 in science. the rest were A's and B's. She was grounded all last year( yes the entire year) for C's. She shows pigs and we raise them she has learned alot from this. And she has won many things. This is something she is very good at and something that she loves. She is in extra  help for math. My husband is very strict on her. He has taken all the pigs away from her I mean sold all of them, he has grounded her, and now he thinks we should just be mean to her everyday. He spanked her 3 times last night because she did not have the amount of math problems done in the time that he allows. I think this is alittle extreme. He has only been her father for 4 years.( her real father doesn't care. He stated that he would sign away his rights to her so my husband can adopt her. which he does want to do.) He thinks because he can feel as if she  was his own she should automaticaly feel the same. I mean she loves him. but now she has made the statement she does not want him to adopt her. How can I explain to him he is hurting the situation? 

I think that he is extreme and that he still need to make sure she knows he loves her. 

He told her last night he did not want her to say anything to him about school because she was a lier. because she lied to us. I think that he should still offer for her to talk to him, then we can check it out to find out if she is lying. 

Any advice will help. 

I can't tell from reading this post if anyone has ever really tried to figure out what is going on with this young girl. Why are her grades so poor? Does she have a learning disability? Is she having problems with friends/teachers at school? Is she just totally unmotivated? Instead of simply punishing the results, why not look for the cause? Have you talked to her teachers to see what they think?
As a teacher of 7th graders (12 and 13 year olds), I've seen many parents react the same way because they are frustrated and want the problem fixed immediately. Grades are important and your daughter needs to take school seriously, but the adults in her life need to try to understand where she is coming from as they help redirect her. No doubt part of the problem is the power struggle that has taken over your house. I learned quickly that as soon as I agreed to enter a power struggle with a child this age, I had lost. You can't win. Kids this age are very smart, but they aren't very logical. Instead of coming to the problem with the idea that you'll take away everything that's important to her and put her under strict guidelines, how about trying to talk to her with a less charged atmosphere. Really LISTEN to what she says and try to come to some compromise while still making sure that you keep her best interest in mind. Explain WHY you're so worried about her performance and what the results will be. Kids this age usually don't have any idea what consequences their actions will have in the long run; they just know what feels good right now.

June 29, 2006, 9:50 am CDT

Quote From: catfish05

My 13 yr old daughter brought home a bad report card. It had a 50 in math a57 in language and a 69 in science. the rest were A's and B's. She was grounded all last year( yes the entire year) for C's. She shows pigs and we raise them she has learned alot from this. And she has won many things. This is something she is very good at and something that she loves. She is in extra  help for math. My husband is very strict on her. He has taken all the pigs away from her I mean sold all of them, he has grounded her, and now he thinks we should just be mean to her everyday. He spanked her 3 times last night because she did not have the amount of math problems done in the time that he allows. I think this is alittle extreme. He has only been her father for 4 years.( her real father doesn't care. He stated that he would sign away his rights to her so my husband can adopt her. which he does want to do.) He thinks because he can feel as if she  was his own she should automaticaly feel the same. I mean she loves him. but now she has made the statement she does not want him to adopt her. How can I explain to him he is hurting the situation? 

I think that he is extreme and that he still need to make sure she knows he loves her. 

He told her last night he did not want her to say anything to him about school because she was a lier. because she lied to us. I think that he should still offer for her to talk to him, then we can check it out to find out if she is lying. 

Any advice will help. 

Hi - I actually registered to this site just to send you a message about your daughter....I have never even been on the Dr. Phil website before.  I wanted to write to you because I had a stepfather when I was young that believed in the same types of punishments.  I felt completely devalued.  I think it is important to find ways to discipline our children without breaking them down or taking away the qualities that make them who they are.  Also, the discipline should be in reaction to the behavior, but should maintain the relationship between the child and parent.  She must still feel loved, and not abandoned by you(her primary caregiver).  Treat her like she's still a person regardless of her behavior, and give her things to reach for as opposed to putting her in a situation where she feels worthless and has nothing left to look forward to.  Why should she do better if there's nothing to look forward to?  If she's grounded for extended periods of time and all of her favorite things are gone (this happened to me when I was her age), the thinking becomes, why should I do better, I'm always going to be stuck in this situation?  It's such a feeling of loneliness.  I don't know the answer, but I really hope that you both try a new approach for your daughter's sake.  I'm 30 yrs. old now, and I still look back and wonder why my mother didn't stand up for me during my extended punishments.

July 17, 2006, 3:34 pm CDT

Was I Right or Wrong?

My 15 yr old daughter has been going thru some emotion issues latley. She was gone from home for a week staying with her older sister. She came home Saturday. No sooner than she got home her father was jumping all over her yelling and cursing. Over her room being a mess witch was cleaned up before she left. Her siblings are the ones who messed it up who are 12 and 9 yrs old. I said they had to clean it but....... Well anyway,, she got so upset she jumped up out of her chair and went to run outside away from her father. He started yelling at her to come back in the kitchen so she sat down in a chair by the door. I went to her to talk to her to calm her down and he started yelling again pulling his belt off. He tryed pushing thru me and I looked at him and told him he is not hitting her with no belt. He cursed at all of us and left. Was I right or was I in the wrong???  

Kathy  

July 17, 2006, 5:52 pm CDT

Totally Disagree

Quote From: mrsroberts

My 15 yr old daughter has been going thru some emotion issues latley. She was gone from home for a week staying with her older sister. She came home Saturday. No sooner than she got home her father was jumping all over her yelling and cursing. Over her room being a mess witch was cleaned up before she left. Her siblings are the ones who messed it up who are 12 and 9 yrs old. I said they had to clean it but....... Well anyway,, she got so upset she jumped up out of her chair and went to run outside away from her father. He started yelling at her to come back in the kitchen so she sat down in a chair by the door. I went to her to talk to her to calm her down and he started yelling again pulling his belt off. He tryed pushing thru me and I looked at him and told him he is not hitting her with no belt. He cursed at all of us and left. Was I right or was I in the wrong???  

Kathy  

It seems to me that the father is choosing to be the bully in the family. Was he abused as a child? How did he react to it?  Children regardless of what age understand what you are asking of them and what you expect from them. Pulling out a belt on a child only causes resentment and anger and possibly a runaway teenager. 

I raised 3 children and my husband was away all week except for weekends. Sure there were time outs, items taken away but a belt...no way.  I find that now that my children have grown they do the same as I did with them. Every once in a while they had to put their hands out and I would smack them, or a smack on the behind, but never to injure. If I got upset with them or hubby did we would explain why but always told them that we loved them. They now know and I'm sure they did growing up, that our love for them was unconditional. We told them not to lie or they would be in more trouble and they seemed to accept that. Hubby is the problem, not the child. Therapy would help all of the family, it seems that hubby has some hidden issues from the past and is following through in the future. How will he react when grandchildren come along and one of his children want to strap them? Life carries what we teach. 

July 17, 2006, 10:35 pm CDT

So I was right

Quote From: ritadavey

It seems to me that the father is choosing to be the bully in the family. Was he abused as a child? How did he react to it?  Children regardless of what age understand what you are asking of them and what you expect from them. Pulling out a belt on a child only causes resentment and anger and possibly a runaway teenager. 

I raised 3 children and my husband was away all week except for weekends. Sure there were time outs, items taken away but a belt...no way.  I find that now that my children have grown they do the same as I did with them. Every once in a while they had to put their hands out and I would smack them, or a smack on the behind, but never to injure. If I got upset with them or hubby did we would explain why but always told them that we loved them. They now know and I'm sure they did growing up, that our love for them was unconditional. We told them not to lie or they would be in more trouble and they seemed to accept that. Hubby is the problem, not the child. Therapy would help all of the family, it seems that hubby has some hidden issues from the past and is following through in the future. How will he react when grandchildren come along and one of his children want to strap them? Life carries what we teach. 

Yes his Father was not a good father. He has 2 older children that he raised by himself. He was very hard on them and he wiped them kids to much and to hard. When I would say something to him I was told it was none of my bussiness. Now that we have our children there is no way I will allow that. I was beat when I was a child and i know how it feels. I tryed talking to him about this and I told him it is better for him to sit down with his kids when there upset and try to help with the problem not to pull a belt out on them. We are already seperated over some of the things he does. But he is telling me  that it is the childrens fault why we are having trouble. I do not beleive that one bit. Thank You for your feed back and please if you want to say more feel free to.  

We have 7 children. I gave birth to 4 and adopted 3..                Kathy 

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last