Message Boards

Topic : 05/02 Missing

Number of Replies: 183
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, April 27, 2006, 07:08:59 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil shines a light on missing children. Some are taken by strangers, but more frequently a parent is the one to snatch them -- too often with terrifying results. The search for two missing girls takes a Dr. Phil investigator inside a seldom-seen religious community where worshippers live what some call "a simpler way of life." Follow this story of child abduction by a father -- now a fugitive of the law -- who is living on the run with his two daughters, while their mother desperately tries to find them. Then, imagine not seeing your children for 10 years. Your 3-year-old is now 13, your 6-year-old now drives, and your 8-year-old is graduating high school – and you’re missing it all. John Clark is living this nightmare. Find out what happened and why his ex-wife is now wanted by the FBI. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 1, 2006, 8:25 pm CDT

05/02 Missing

Quote From: meowmumtu

This show has not aired yet, so I'm not sure which religious group they belong to but Id hazard a guess that they are Amish from the pictures. It doesn't matter too much which group, Amish, Mennonite, Hutterite etc. The thing is that these groups live very well organized communal lives. Their religion is the corner stone of each group and the rules and laws of these groups differ from the mainstream of American life. 

I dint know yet if this couple married  in the secular world, but if they DIDN'T, if they married under the laws and rules of the community where the Father now lives, then the Mother KNEW that according to those rules..the children belong to the community !! NOT the parents alone..but the whole community. 

Its not the way of those of us who do not live in one  of these long established religious communities, but its their way and always has been. These are not "crackpot" people, they are very good citizens all around...they are just different. 

Dint be too quick to Judge ! 

BJ 

Children belong to their parents, not a group of people and I don't care what the rules and regulations are, if kidnapping children is encouraged by any religious group then something is wrong, they certainly are not of God, not the loving and compassionate God that I serve anyway. I will not argue with the idea that it takes a village (to a certain extent) to help raise up children but a community of people do not have the right to come in between a family and encourage kidnapping, I sure hope this guy has a good reason for taking these kids away from their mother and as a fugitive, one who is running from the law, I highly doubt it.........Parents certainly can be their children's worse enemies but doing crap like this to them, they suffer just as theparetn does and Iw ould think even more, kids deserve to feel loved and secure and not living life on the run, this father needs to be ashamed of himself for the way he is making his children live, what kind of life does he think he is offering them! Religious group or not, he has no right to kidnapp these girls, if there is something going on that shouldn't be to cause the girls to be unsafe with the mother, running from the law is not the answer, makes him look more guilty then what he is, the girls deserve better............................

May 1, 2006, 10:26 pm CDT

Missing Children

I have never posted a message on this board but this is a subject of which I feel I have a little knowledge and experience. I have read through all the posts already on  here and the show hasn't aired yet so I may have more to say after I see it but I doubt it will change my mind about much on this subject. 

First and foremost I wish to say that abducting children and hiding them is "CHILD ABUSE"  pure and simple. This act is almost never about safety for the children. It is "REVENGE". And should there be a safety issue there are a lot of organizations and facilities and law enforcement to help handle those problems. Although I must say that some of those places can be even more unsafe for the children. 

If you have doubts that abducting and hiding children is child abuse then just for a while try to imagine you are a young child and you are suddenly taken away from everything that made up your whole life. Your bed. your playmates, cousins,aunts uncles,grandparents,pets,toys and on and on, just everything that made up your world. Then you are hurried away secretly to unknown places with unknown people, told to tell lies, maybe change your name and hair color. More than likely you are told lies about the left behind parent, maybe that they have died or did a really bad thing and are in prison or that they hate you and will kill you and mother/father. Now the abducting parent is most likely scared and stressed which of course the children feel and that makes them feel very insecure. To me, all this and maybe more ,not mentioned ,is "CHILD ABUSE".  

1.     Now for my knowledge and experience; Ten years ago on August 31,1995 by daughter-in-law disappeared with my four beautiful, loving adorable grandchildren. Believe me,our son and my husband and I spent every penny and then some and every day looking for and doing everything imaginable to try to find them. To this day we still have not had a single word from or about them. It is like they have disappeared off the face of this earth. They are all of age now and I hope they have had counseling and are able to have happy normal lives cause I think they probably went through a lot of Hell. I know all my family has!

May 2, 2006, 5:21 am CDT

05/02 Missing

I lived in a community growning up with those of the amish and mennonite faith.  I  attended a public school were aproximately half the students belonged to the mennonite faith,( extremely rare I know ).    They are a peaceful and humble people as a whole.  But I found it odd that their faith many times ignored the laws of Canada.  They keep very much a secular lifestyle, in that they don't incorporate into their daily lives modern convieniences, such as electricity, motor vehichles, television, internet etc.   

Although for the most part I appreciated their belief system.  I always found it curious that they felt free to abide by their own doctrines regardless of the doctrines of Canadian law.  Any society religiously founded or otherwise that allows for a good mother to be seperated from her children solely due to her faith is wrong.  Particularly if that society goes against the law of the country in which they choose to live and be a citizen of.     

I'm extremely curious about this episode.  This is a branch of faith that in my experience one must be born into to become a member of.  I understand first hand that it is difficult if not almost an impossibility to join this religious community.  Let alone visit their place of worship.  These girls must not be denied their freedom of rights under your United States Constitution.  Regardless of theirs or anyones religious fellowship.  "In God We Trust" is an American motto.  Yet the seperation of Church and State is IMO wise if it allows everyone their civil liberties.  Including true freedom of religion.   

Peace,   

Fredi   

May 2, 2006, 7:53 am CDT

Giving religion a bad name

I HATE these nutjob cults that make religion look like a scary and dangerous prospect.  Religion in the norm is a wonderful part of life.  A religion that requires you to give yourself to a community of religious zealots is a false religion.  I am a Baptist.  I go to church, I worship the way I feel is right for me to worship, and if anybody has a problem with that, well too bad for them.  When a group dictates how you are to worship, who your kids are to associate with and where you are going to live, they are nothing more than criminal.  I hope this episode does not cause the average guy on the street to decide that all religion is crazy.  It just isn't the case. 

May 2, 2006, 7:55 am CDT

you in a CULT????

This show has not aired yet, so I'm not sure which religious group they belong to but Id hazard a guess that they are Amish from the pictures. It doesn't matter too much which group, Amish, Mennonite, Hutterite etc. The thing is that these groups live very well organized communal lives. Their religion is the corner stone of each group and the rules and laws of these groups differ from the mainstream of American life. 

I dint know yet if this couple married  in the secular world, but if they DIDN'T, if they married under the laws and rules of the community where the Father now lives, then the Mother KNEW that according to those rules..the children belong to the community !! NOT the parents alone..but the whole community. 

Its not the way of those of us who do not live in one  of these long established religious communities, but its their way and always has been. These are not "crackpot" people, they are very good citizens all around...they are just different. 

BJ 

That's a crock of crap....Kids don't belong to a community...They Belong to the Mother and The Father...EQUALY...and NO COMMUNITY has the right to take them away...you sound as if you are in one of these groups so you must feel the need to justify there actions...ITS A CULT....can we all say together JIM JONES.....he murdered all that followed  him and then there's the CULT...that the Federal Government had to go in ....and the  whole house was blown to bits does that sound like a peaceful commnity....NO...any time a person tries to replace you own right and beliefs its called BRAIN WASHING!!!!!...and you say different....yes its real different to loose your children...!!!!...I hope no one has taken your don't you think thats a little cruel...These people are exactly what the BIBLE says FALSE PROFITS WILL COME IN MY NAME.......Matthew 7-15 Beware False Profits who come to you in sheep's clothing..But inwardly they are ravenous wolves... 

Let us not be so ready to jump on the next Comet out of the universe....Remember that one!!!! 

May 2, 2006, 8:14 am CDT

Bible

Quote From: fredastare

I lived in a community growning up with those of the amish and mennonite faith.  I  attended a public school were aproximately half the students belonged to the mennonite faith,( extremely rare I know ).    They are a peaceful and humble people as a whole.  But I found it odd that their faith many times ignored the laws of Canada.  They keep very much a secular lifestyle, in that they don't incorporate into their daily lives modern convieniences, such as electricity, motor vehichles, television, internet etc.   

Although for the most part I appreciated their belief system.  I always found it curious that they felt free to abide by their own doctrines regardless of the doctrines of Canadian law.  Any society religiously founded or otherwise that allows for a good mother to be seperated from her children solely due to her faith is wrong.  Particularly if that society goes against the law of the country in which they choose to live and be a citizen of.     

I'm extremely curious about this episode.  This is a branch of faith that in my experience one must be born into to become a member of.  I understand first hand that it is difficult if not almost an impossibility to join this religious community.  Let alone visit their place of worship.  These girls must not be denied their freedom of rights under your United States Constitution.  Regardless of theirs or anyones religious fellowship.  "In God We Trust" is an American motto.  Yet the seperation of Church and State is IMO wise if it allows everyone their civil liberties.  Including true freedom of religion.   

Peace,   

Fredi   

The Bible says to render unto Cesar's what is Cesar's ...that means we as Christians are to live by the rules set by the Government...Even Jesus paid Taxes...Romans 14-6 & 7For because of this you also pay taxes for they are God's ministers attending continually to this very thing...Render therefore to all their due taxes to whom taxes are due customs  to whom custom's fear to whom fear  honor to whom honor. 

God has charged us to live our lives according to the laws of the land....to do other is not Gods will and therefore what these people are doing is against GOD!!!!!! 

May 2, 2006, 8:16 am CDT

has anyone looked....

for the 3 missing clark children: 

im sure that the investigators have looked at the website myspace.com... i mean, if the mother is so worried about someone finding them then im sure she is watching their every move, but u never know.  it could be something to look at... facebook.com is another resource... i'm sure its already been thought of... :)  GOOD LUCK! 

May 2, 2006, 8:18 am CDT

Are you listening to what you say?

BJ 

Can you really re-read what you have written and still think the same?      

Do you have children?       

How would you feel if your children were taken away from you?  

Anyone who takes children away from their own parent is a crackpot.  Anything can be negotiated.  

Children Services all over the country have "visitation rooms" so that even parents who have done considerable damage to their children can have contact with those same children.   (supervised, but yes, they get visitation).    

Yes, there are many "different" lifestyles, some guided by religious affiliations.   But these religious organizations have to see is that harboring someone who is using their religious community to hide and promote this bad behavior is bad for the religious community, bad for the general community, and bad for the family in question.     

May 2, 2006, 8:21 am CDT

Bless you...

Quote From: searcherr

I have never posted a message on this board but this is a subject of which I feel I have a little knowledge and experience. I have read through all the posts already on  here and the show hasn't aired yet so I may have more to say after I see it but I doubt it will change my mind about much on this subject. 

First and foremost I wish to say that abducting children and hiding them is "CHILD ABUSE"  pure and simple. This act is almost never about safety for the children. It is "REVENGE". And should there be a safety issue there are a lot of organizations and facilities and law enforcement to help handle those problems. Although I must say that some of those places can be even more unsafe for the children. 

If you have doubts that abducting and hiding children is child abuse then just for a while try to imagine you are a young child and you are suddenly taken away from everything that made up your whole life. Your bed. your playmates, cousins,aunts uncles,grandparents,pets,toys and on and on, just everything that made up your world. Then you are hurried away secretly to unknown places with unknown people, told to tell lies, maybe change your name and hair color. More than likely you are told lies about the left behind parent, maybe that they have died or did a really bad thing and are in prison or that they hate you and will kill you and mother/father. Now the abducting parent is most likely scared and stressed which of course the children feel and that makes them feel very insecure. To me, all this and maybe more ,not mentioned ,is "CHILD ABUSE".  

1.     Now for my knowledge and experience; Ten years ago on August 31,1995 by daughter-in-law disappeared with my four beautiful, loving adorable grandchildren. Believe me,our son and my husband and I spent every penny and then some and every day looking for and doing everything imaginable to try to find them. To this day we still have not had a single word from or about them. It is like they have disappeared off the face of this earth. They are all of age now and I hope they have had counseling and are able to have happy normal lives cause I think they probably went through a lot of Hell. I know all my family has!

WOW ...I'm so sorry to read what has happened to you family...I pray people will read this and see this is not the way God want people to live ...these are very dangerous people and most don't have a real life...Thank you for posting...Maybe more will see through you post how much pain and shear heart ache this causes all the Loved ones who are forced with out there own will to be exiled from the ones they Love....Bless you..... 

May 2, 2006, 8:24 am CDT

upsetting

i think the guy that Dr. Phil talked to about the two girls knows where they are this is a bunch of crap they are hiding them from their mom and it's not right their dad should be in jail with all the other men that kidnap children. this show made me angry.  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last