Message Boards

Topic : 05/04 Violent Love Intervention

Number of Replies: 299
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, April 27, 2006, 07:13:48 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
They’re slapped, beaten and bruised. Sometimes, the violence doesn’t end until they’re dead. Dr. Phil talks to women who say they are the victims of abuse and need an intervention before it’s too late. Michelle says her boyfriend, Ryan, flies off the handle over the smallest issues. She reveals that he began hitting her when she was pregnant with their son. Ryan says he can’t control his anger because his own dad was abusive with him as a child. Is it too late for Ryan to change? Then, Linda says her fiancé, Eddie, shot her in the eye and nearly killed her when she threatened to leave him. He’s now serving only four years in prison because, Linda says, she lied to the police and called the shooting accidental. Her mom, Jody, says she’s sickened that Linda still cares for the man who almost took her life. Will Linda stop loving the man who shot her and learn how to have healthy relationships? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 15, 2006, 8:00 am CDT

Sadest Part is, It hasn't changed

krtklthnkr    

The sadest part is it hasn't changed. It has been swept under the rug and the agencies etc to protect take ABSOLUTELY NO RESPONSIBILITY.   

Once the proof was there, there were no apologies, there was no help, no counselling (unless I paid for it). And the slap in the face was, "they blamed me"   

Victims of abuse can scream and yell and rant and rave at the injustice of it all. Guess what? Then the victim is unstable and is labelled as "should learn to shut up"?   

So, you bury your feelings, say nothing to be deemed, ok.   

When is there going to be real "JUSTICE"?   

We express our outrage at the middle east culture and how woman are treated but we close our eyes when it happens every second of every day in our own back yards. The hypocrisy is deafening.   

As for the church, it wasn't until the stories of abuse came out did I understand the priest at my church telling me I needed to stay and work it out as divorce would make my children "BASTARDS". So much for faith in the catholic church!   

And yet, I still want to say, never let the above 'FEAR' you into not doing what needs to be done to 'PROTECT' those precious children. They are our future!  

You are remarkable krtklthnkr and have certainly EARNED respect!  

Have a great day!  Coffee  :)  

May 15, 2006, 8:32 am CDT

Still don't see your point

Quote From: somawas

Here are a few statistics:  http://www.batteredmen.com/batrNVAWf.htm

I agree with you completely that Nobody should be physicall, emotionally or verbally abusing anyone.  But I'm in favor of recognizing that this is not a woman's problem.  It is a human being problem.  And I'm not about to pretend that women don't engage in the behavior.
The statistics on the link you gave me still show that the rate of abuse of women is much higher.  And I see no statistics at all on how many men are killed per year in a dispute with their significant other.  Do you know anything about that?  I'm curious.  I would be willing to bet it is a whole lot less than 3 per day.  I think anyone who has a brain knows that women aren't perfect and that they sometimes act with violence.  Few people actually know that better than I do because my mother was physically abusive to me as a child.  I think the main point here it to try to save lives and whether we like it or not, too many women are being killed by men and have less ability to defend themselves.  Respectfully yours, Cymbeline

May 16, 2006, 2:44 pm CDT

05/04 Violent Love Intervention

Quote From: coffee831

krtklthnkr    

The sadest part is it hasn't changed. It has been swept under the rug and the agencies etc to protect take ABSOLUTELY NO RESPONSIBILITY.   

Once the proof was there, there were no apologies, there was no help, no counselling (unless I paid for it). And the slap in the face was, "they blamed me"   

Victims of abuse can scream and yell and rant and rave at the injustice of it all. Guess what? Then the victim is unstable and is labelled as "should learn to shut up"?   

So, you bury your feelings, say nothing to be deemed, ok.   

When is there going to be real "JUSTICE"?   

We express our outrage at the middle east culture and how woman are treated but we close our eyes when it happens every second of every day in our own back yards. The hypocrisy is deafening.   

As for the church, it wasn't until the stories of abuse came out did I understand the priest at my church telling me I needed to stay and work it out as divorce would make my children "BASTARDS". So much for faith in the catholic church!   

And yet, I still want to say, never let the above 'FEAR' you into not doing what needs to be done to 'PROTECT' those precious children. They are our future!  

You are remarkable krtklthnkr and have certainly EARNED respect!  

Have a great day!  Coffee  :)  

i just left a guy after 4 years of beatings and name calling,the last 2 things he did was chock hold me and snap my neck saying i can kill you i taste it.the last thing was over me saying cant you ask in a nice way he grap me by my hair took me to the ground shoving my face in carpet and just shook me like a rag doll.laughing.till this day he brags bout how he shook me..ladies this is not love.and holding a shot gun to my head in front of his 2 boys telling them this is what u do to a woman that dont do what u say...im free of all this.even tho i had to get 982 miles away he cant ever hit me again.and ladies who use the dating online beware he is on there as B.W.P.

May 16, 2006, 9:42 pm CDT

ksterri

That was certainly a hard experienced lesson. I'm glad you found your courage to get out before you became a statistic.  

Have you found a good councellor to help you sort out all the issues?  

He may be gone, but the impact of the events last a long time. Don't be afraid to get the support you need for you!  

Coffee :)  

May 19, 2006, 7:08 am CDT

Bring it home for us, Dr. Phil!

I was really intrigued with the end of the show on Linda, when Dr. Phil asked her about her alcohol use.  It was a turning point in the show, and then we were left hanging.  As the sister of an alcoholic, I watched my brother put himself in self-destructive situations over and over again.  Obviously Linda did as well.  So do people like Linda and my brother put themselves in self-destructive situations because:   

a) they don't feel that they deserve anything better   

OR   

b) because then they can justify their actions as "my life is so bad that I have to drink to cope"   

OR   

c) something else altogether that I am not seeing  

I would have liked Dr. Phil to elaborate on this more to help those of us who are dealing with alcoholics understand their mind set.   

May 19, 2006, 11:28 am CDT

USE YOUR EXPERIENCE TO LEARN AND MOVE ON

I AM 32 YEARS OLD, AND MY FATHER SHOT MY MOTHER TO DEATH IN FRONT OF ME WHEN I WAS 2 YEARS OLD. THE FAMILY WHO ADOPTED COULDN'T FIGURE OUT WHY I WASN'T "LIKE THEIR OTHER KIDS" AND BELIEVED THERE WAS NO WAY I COULD HAVE REMEMBERED IT. I DID. IT TOOK A LOT OF THERAPY, AND SELF-SEARCHING TO REALIZE THERE WAS NOTHING THAT I COULD HAVE DONE, AND THAT SOME PEOPLE NOT ONLY SELF-DESTRUCT, BUT TAKE OTHER PEOPLE DOWN WITH THEM. IT HAS CHANGED ME, BUT MADE ME THE PERSON I AM TODAY, AND IF I COULD SUMMARIZE MY STORY INTO ONE PIECE OF ADVICE FOR LINDA, IS TO USE THIS HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE TO HER GOOD, AND TO GET SOME SERIOUS COUNSELING AND POSSIBLY SOME SUPPORT GROUPS. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!

May 20, 2006, 1:04 pm CDT

Right eye or left eye

I tape Dr. Phil and watch them when I have time. I just wondered if anyone noticed that in the show that the wrong eye appeared at one time. I was sititing there watching and all of a sudden she was talking and the wrong eye was shown. I ran the tape back several times to see if I had really seen this. Sure enough at one time it was her right eye that had been shot and the next it was the left eye.

May 22, 2006, 5:30 pm CDT

Left or Right?

Quote From: jmknudsen

I tape Dr. Phil and watch them when I have time. I just wondered if anyone noticed that in the show that the wrong eye appeared at one time. I was sititing there watching and all of a sudden she was talking and the wrong eye was shown. I ran the tape back several times to see if I had really seen this. Sure enough at one time it was her right eye that had been shot and the next it was the left eye.
I wrote the same message and asked Dr. Phil's staff for an answer. I have not heard anything. No one seemed to believe me, but I saw it with my left and right eye both. I thought I had taped Jerry Springer because I never would have thought I would see something like this on Dr. Phil. I am waitting for an answer from the staff, it is hard for me to believe anything else on the show.

June 12, 2006, 1:14 pm CDT

Me TOO!!!!!!

Quote From: jmknudsen

I am so glad I'm not the only one.  I noticed in one clip it was her left eye that was gone and in another it was her right eye.  I emailed the Dr. Phil show about this, but I have never received a response.  I would like to know what this is all about.  I haven't even been able to watch Dr. Phil since then as it seems like every episode is staged now!  Do you feel the same way? 

I am just disappointed because I enjoyed Dr. Phil before, and now I just feel it's all fake!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

June 20, 2006, 7:02 pm CDT

Noticed it too

I like Dr. Phil and admire the work he is doing.  I have never wrote into the show or been on his website until the taping of this show.  I was very shocked and re-played it several times and noticed the opposite eye.  Why?   I wish Dr. Phil or his staff would answer the email or announce it on the show.  Dr. Phil was this story real?

First | Prev | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | Next | Last