Message Boards

Topic : Getting Pregnant

Number of Replies: 210
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:52:55 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you trying to conceive? Share your trials and successes with us.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 28, 2006, 5:12 pm CST

Getting Pregnant

Quote From: jenn2531

i'm 19 and for the past month i've really been wanting to have a baby! why i don't know it just came to me and i started feeling this way. I just don't know if anyone thinks i'm to young or what? I haven't told my boyfriend yet. I think we'd make great parents! We both are out of highschool have stable jobs. And over the summer we have 2 jobs each! WE have the love and money for a child but i'm not sure if this is just a phase or if i'm really ready and want a baby? please give me some input! 

jenn 

Well, I'm glad there is two of us, Im 19 years old and in exactly the same boat, I would love to have a baby.. but my partner wants to wait quite some time...every baby i see I get so jealous and just want to have one... any advice for us... anyone

February 28, 2006, 6:08 pm CST

THANK YOU

Quote From: haleypnz

Well, I'm glad there is two of us, Im 19 years old and in exactly the same boat, I would love to have a baby.. but my partner wants to wait quite some time...every baby i see I get so jealous and just want to have one... any advice for us... anyone
I didn't think anybody was listening or cared. I just don't know what to do I mean my boyfriend wouldn't care either way we'd get through it. But I mean I love kids we're both so great with kids and love to spend time with them. And it seems like everyone around me younger than me is getting pregnant and that makes me so jealous just like you. I would love a kid but I need some more input on what I should do should I wait and see if this feeling goes away or just go and do it??? Somebody please help us!!!!!!!

March 1, 2006, 11:59 am CST

Getting Pregnant

I didn't think anybody was listening or cared. I just don't know what to do I mean my boyfriend wouldn't care either way we'd get through it. But I mean I love kids we're both so great with kids and love to spend time with them. And it seems like everyone around me younger than me is getting pregnant and that makes me so jealous just like you. I would love a kid but I need some more input on what I should do should I wait and see if this feeling goes away or just go and do it??? Somebody please help us!!!!!!!

If I can give you any advice at all it would be to wait.  Have you ever heard people say how much they changed from the time they were 20-25?  It is really so true.  I never really thought I would, I thought that my views on life, marriage, family, education,etc. would always stay the same.  Boy was I wrong!  I am a totally different person than I was five years ago (I'm 25 now) and I'm still changing. 

When I was 18 also wanted to get pregnant.  I just got this "itch" and couldn't shake it.  I can't really explain it but eventually it did go away.  I decided to go to school (more than one time and am still not sure what I want to do).  I've changed jobs.  Broke up with the guy that I wanted to have a baby with.  My life now is completely different than it was then.There are so many things to consider.   

My sister who is younger than I am is now pregnant.  She is not married but lives with her boyfriend.  Things are really hard for her.  She is so sick all the time(morning sikness but it is all day and night) and got fired from her job because she was to sick to go.  She can't eat or drink anything without throwing up and because of dehydrating is to dizzy to drive to her dr. appts. so my family has to take turnes driving her.  Her boyfriend who was always "so great" is now not so great.  She didn't have proper insurance so is now state assisted.  She just doesn't know what to do.  It is so hard to talk to her because I can feel the pain and desperation she is going through.  Since Dr. bills are not all covered our parents are now picking up the tab.  She also is not going to be able to afford child care when the baby is born.  Depending on where you live full time care of an infant can cost up to 1,000 a month, not to mention food, diapers and clothes. 

Do you have people you can talk to?  Someone you can really trust that has some "real" life experience under their belt.  I wish you both the best and hope this helped. 

March 1, 2006, 3:58 pm CST

Plenty of time......

I have read what the concerns here are and let me give you a little insite if I may.  I'm 37 years old, I've had two children of my own, my eldest is now 18, and I have three wonderful step daughters through my new marriage.  My husband and I are now trying to have a baby together and let me tell you it's been a real challenge!  I was always very fertile about 10 years ago and having a baby was not an issue what so ever, now it's something that requires work, timing, ovulation tester kits etc...tends to take a bit of the romance and excitement out of it!   I was 20 when my first child was born and at the time everyone I knew around me was having a baby too and I always knew from an early age that I wanted lots of children, so I found myself pregnant at 19, fresh out of high school and on finishing a votech course I was taking.  I can say with all honesty, while I love my daughter dearly and would never give up the experiences I had in having her, I know now that I would have enjoyed her so much more had I waited until I was a little older.  I know many people say this to younger women who talk about wanting to have a baby like your a child yourself and not ready for this. 

I know that some women are ready for it earlier than others, or at least they believe they are, I know because I was one of those women.  However, I know now that had I been a little older and lived life a little more prior to getting pregnant at that age I would have had more patience, I would have taken the time to slow down and enjoy watching those things that you can only see through the eye of a baby...the discovery of their world and what lies beyond the tips of their fingers, the first steps and crawling and the pride that comes with that on their part.  And I certainly would have been able to handle the up all night, the teething with a high fever and changing out the bedding in the crib for the 4th time by 3am!  They are wonderful little beings and they can bring so much joy and happiness into your life, but we tend to forget that they require an enormous amount of work and commitment that at that age we are not totally ready for.  

Personally....I would not wait until my age as it then becomes more of an issue with health and genetic testing, etc. but I would hold out at least too 25, if you want that baby this badly right now, you will still want it then and you will be that much more prepared for the 18 years that lie ahead.  

March 1, 2006, 6:23 pm CST

Getting Pregnant

No I defintly understand where you are coming from ..  do you have a hotmail address and msn?? where could have a talk together online. 

March 7, 2006, 12:04 pm CST

am i alone?

I gave birth to my little gril about 7 months ago.  She is so good to us, sleeps well, good temper and so much fun to have around.  But I would like to know if other mom's hated their pregnancy.  I had every sympthm in the book except, diabeties and high blood preasure (thank you God).  But I was so sick I had to be on medication to controle my vomiting and it only controled the fact that I would vomit 1 a day and not 10 times in a day,  Insomnia,  Gainning 80 pounds, even if I did some physical activity every day.  I felt like the most useless person because I could not even keep the appartement clean, but my boyfriend is so good he did everything he could to help me. It's like havind my post pastum deperssion before delivery.  I love my girl and children, I'm an early childhood educator, but I hated being pregnant.  The only thing I loved was felling her move around in my belly and she was a quiet  girl even then.  We would love to have 4 children, we have 1 down and 3 to go.  but I would feel better If I knew that someone else had a hard time being pregnant and can understand me when I say : I hate being pregnant!  I defenately don't hate my boyfriend or my girl I just hate the prosses.  I dream of having a pelican delivering my baby to me just like they do in walt Desney movies.

March 7, 2006, 1:18 pm CST

Single Mom To Be Needing Advice

I would love advice from anyone who can offer it.  I am a 22 year old single person, who is in the process of becoming pregnant.  I have always known that my true calling was to be a mother, and now that I am out of college and have a thriving business, I believe I am to the point in my life where I can offer a child all that he/she needs.  I am single, and I know that many people don't agree with having a baby without a father figure.  I would love to get married and have the perfect dad for my kids, but I am not going to sit around and wait on that.  I want to be a mother so bad I can't even stand it.  I know I will be a wonderful mother, and I won't be the sterotypical struggling single mom.  I can handle this, but many of my friends have their doubts and are worried about me.  I don't want to just go out and get pregnant by some random guy and risk STDs and not knowing his family's medical background.  I have decided to use a sperm bank.  This way I know it's safe for myself and the baby, and I know all of the father's background information incase I ever need access to it for my child's care.  The proccedure is this Friday, and I am confident that it's a good choice.  I pray I get pregnant the first time, but I know that sometimes it takes several times.  It's expensive, so of course it will be best for me if it's not a long hard process in the beginning.  I am just alone in this.  My family has no idea what I am doing because I know they would try to talk me out of it, and my friends think this is a bad decision.  There is not a doubt in my mind, so why do my friends keep trying to talk me out of it, even though I have told them time and again that they can't stop me from doing this.  I am an adult.  I may be kind of young to join the single moms club by choice, but this is what I truly want.  I just want other peoples' opinions on my situation, because I want to know how people will think about my decision.  Do I tell people the truth, or do I pretend I just got knocked up?  I almost think that would be more acceptable.  It's sad, but true.  I just want this baby to know that I wanted him or her so much that I went to extremes to have them.  I don't want my child to ever question that they were brought into this world loved and wated.  That is why I feel the truth is best, but I am afraid of the reaction I will get when my family finds out I actually signed up and paid to become a single mom.  Any advice or opinion you have would be greatly appriciated.  Thank you!  :)   

March 8, 2006, 6:11 pm CST

Just hold on...and wait

Hi, I am a 42 yr. old mother of 4...a 21 yr old, a 19 yr. old and a 3 yr old and a 2 yr old.  Having done the baby thing back in my 20's....wanted one for as long as I could remember, In fact when my first daughter was born my mother said to me...well, here is the baby you have wanted since you were 14.  I can tell you from lessons learned the longer you wait the better.  You have so much life ahead of you...your only 19...and I know I am sounding like a mother...but, I am one...and you need to take this time and find out who you really are...as one of the other response said you will change a ton over the next few years...don't rush it...cause once you have a baby, you can't do the things you can now...forget going out with your friends...forget all the extras you might have...cause once a baby comes it's all about them...Go enjoy this time in your life....there is plenty of time for a baby.  Your young, this is the best time to be young...you'll never get this time back...I have enjoyed being a mother...but, I wish I would have waited a few extra years....I have so much more to offer my kids now, (don't get me wrong, I not saying wait till your fourty to have a baby...not at all) but you can wait, and maybe should wait 5 to 7 more years.  Go and live for you right now. ...then go and live for you and your baby.  I wish you only the best and hope you find peace in any desion you make....take care!

March 8, 2006, 8:04 pm CST

HI PEEK A POO...

Quote From: peek_a_boo

I gave birth to my little gril about 7 months ago.  She is so good to us, sleeps well, good temper and so much fun to have around.  But I would like to know if other mom's hated their pregnancy.  I had every sympthm in the book except, diabeties and high blood preasure (thank you God).  But I was so sick I had to be on medication to controle my vomiting and it only controled the fact that I would vomit 1 a day and not 10 times in a day,  Insomnia,  Gainning 80 pounds, even if I did some physical activity every day.  I felt like the most useless person because I could not even keep the appartement clean, but my boyfriend is so good he did everything he could to help me. It's like havind my post pastum deperssion before delivery.  I love my girl and children, I'm an early childhood educator, but I hated being pregnant.  The only thing I loved was felling her move around in my belly and she was a quiet  girl even then.  We would love to have 4 children, we have 1 down and 3 to go.  but I would feel better If I knew that someone else had a hard time being pregnant and can understand me when I say : I hate being pregnant!  I defenately don't hate my boyfriend or my girl I just hate the prosses.  I dream of having a pelican delivering my baby to me just like they do in walt Desney movies.

I understand what you are saying about not enjoying your last pregnancy, but just remember that no pregnancies are ever the same.  

So if you were to get pregnant, this time you might just about sail through it, so to speak!! 

Anyway TAKE CARE, LOVE KELLY. 

March 8, 2006, 8:06 pm CST

SORRY PEEK A BOO...

Quote From: ceders2

I understand what you are saying about not enjoying your last pregnancy, but just remember that no pregnancies are ever the same.  

So if you were to get pregnant, this time you might just about sail through it, so to speak!! 

Anyway TAKE CARE, LOVE KELLY. 

About the typo, I meant to say Peek a Boo not Poo!! 

KELLY. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last