Message Boards

Topic : Getting Pregnant

Number of Replies: 210
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:52:55 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you trying to conceive? Share your trials and successes with us.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 31, 2006, 1:43 am CDT

Getting Pregnant

Quote From: z_girl

Hi  

I have never posted here before so hope I am not messing up the rhythm of things here.  I am 34 years old, a physician (oncologist) and recently married (actually it'll be a year next month).  My husband and I both want a family, so have been trying to conceive for the last 6 months (and by the way we are REALLY trying!!!).  

Well, my period is here again.  I feel like I am grieving for the egg that did not result in conception.  I feel like a failure.  My Mother-in-law, just last week, joked that my husband's sister (who is not at all looking to have more children - 16 and 18 year old sons already) will be pregnant before I get pregnant.  Being a doctor, I know all the signs and symptoms of ovulation - and I have them all:  mittelsmritz, spinberkeit, spike in my basal temperature and even breakout in pimples.  But still nothing.  I know that I sound pretty clinical about all this, but when it is the time for fertility - my husband and I have a blast with the sex!  So it doesn't even feel like a chore.  

So here is my question.  How can I stop feeling so absolutely horrible every time my period comes?  In my brain, I know the odds, but in my heart I feel like a failure.  Second question, how do I keep myself from falling apart everytime I get asked if I am pregnant yet? Seriously, I get asked several times a week - even from almost complete strangers.  Last week , the sister of a patient of mine asked me if there was a reason that I was putting on weight ( hinting at my being pregnant) and my response was that I am just getting fat (which by the way I am not - weight has been stable for some time).    

Well, thanks in advance for any advise you may have for me.  

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for over a year now, and in the beginning I was the same, I would get depressed every time my period came. it tore me apart to see people getting pregnant who already had kids, or people not wanting it and having abortions. I couldnt understand why I wasnt getting pregnant when I wanted it so much. I was charting to know when I was ovulating, but I still wasnt getting pregnant.  

I just had to have some faith that I would get pregnant when it was the right time, that was the only thing that kept me sane during all of that. Keep telling yourself that "It will happen when its supposed to", and make sure you talk to people about it, the last thing you want is to get seriously depressed because of this.  

I hope any of what Ive said helps.  

May 31, 2006, 11:19 am CDT

5 1/2 years

Hello everyone, I guess I am in the same boat and the rest of you, the only diffrence is that my husband and I have been trying for 5 1/2 years to have a baby, we have been working with a number of doctors and they all tell us that there is no reason that i am not able to concive. I have the same feeling of failer everytime i get my period. dose anyone have any advice for me? I would really like to hear what you think.  

thank you   

May 31, 2006, 12:55 pm CDT

Birth Control

Okay on May 3rd I went to the doctor and got on the depo birth control shot. It will almost be a month since I got the shot on saturday. My boyfriend and I are planning to have a romantic evening and be intament without a condom for the first time. I'm afraid thougg of getting pregnant even though I'm on the shot. My mom told me she got pregnant while taking birth control, but she was on the pill. So could someone help me? My boyfriend and I aren't ready to have a baby yet. We want to wait until we both get out of college and are steady on our feet. Is it wrong for me to be worrying? Or should I be worried at all? Can someone help? I would really appreciate it alot.

June 3, 2006, 8:43 am CDT

Getting Pregnant

Quote From: kristen07

Okay on May 3rd I went to the doctor and got on the depo birth control shot. It will almost be a month since I got the shot on saturday. My boyfriend and I are planning to have a romantic evening and be intament without a condom for the first time. I'm afraid thougg of getting pregnant even though I'm on the shot. My mom told me she got pregnant while taking birth control, but she was on the pill. So could someone help me? My boyfriend and I aren't ready to have a baby yet. We want to wait until we both get out of college and are steady on our feet. Is it wrong for me to be worrying? Or should I be worried at all? Can someone help? I would really appreciate it alot.
Use the condom...how can it hurt anything? Sex without a condom isn't worth this much worry...it's not THAT much better. If you aren't ready to have a kid then, IMO you should use all the protection you can. The smartest thing I would recommend is no intercourse but I'm sure you are well aware of that and you do it anyway...so the "worry" is relative.

Just use the condom. Sex with out a condom isn't the end-all be-all experience people make it out to be LOL.

June 5, 2006, 4:49 pm CDT

Any Advice? Pregnancy 2nd time around!?

Hi everyone, I need some input or advice on some pregnancy issues... You think there wouldnt be any fertility issues because I'am 19 and hes 21.  

My husband and I got pregnat after 4 months(of not trying) with no birth control... we had a beautiful baby boy and delivered him vaginally...and no tearing... that was a year ago, our son is now 1. My husband and I dont use any birth control because I'am allergic to any form of  Birth Control aka:fake Estrogen (Even the low dose's gave me heart palpitations) We are happy with doing the billings method (checking cervical mucus etc...)  We arnt "trying' right now, but if we got pregnant we would be totally fine with it. For me, I would love to get pregnant again.... its just odd to me, that we got pregnant so fast with out first child.. and now it just isnt happening. I have a period every month, but the periods are ALWAYS different... one month I will get a period every 33 days, then the next month I will get a period every 25 days etc... its never every 28 days. The other thing I have noticed is that I ovulate TWICE. I write down my ovulation date on my calander and it seems pretty acurate that I ovulate on that date... then about the day before I get my period I ovulate again! Very noticeable. What is going on!?!? My husband and I have sex about EVERY night of the week! We even have sex when I'm fertile..... My question is, if we have sex all the time do you think his sperm count gets low because we have sex so much? Should we try and have sex less to build up his semen? Do you think we havnt gotten pregnant because the "date" of my periods change monthly? I just dont understand how we have 1 baby together and got pregnant easy... and now its not easy?   

Any Advice?? PS- I was on Progon-B (When I got pregnant) My doc. had me on it because I had irregular periods.... do you think the Progon-B got me pregnant?? I havnt been on it since I had found out I was pregnant. We are letting nature just take its course, I'm just getting  a little frustrated... and a little worried that there might be fertility issues?
Please! Any input or advice is appreciated :)
Thanks!   

June 12, 2006, 5:15 pm CDT

Progon B

Quote From: greeneyes4

Hi everyone, I need some input or advice on some pregnancy issues... You think there wouldnt be any fertility issues because I'am 19 and hes 21.  

My husband and I got pregnat after 4 months(of not trying) with no birth control... we had a beautiful baby boy and delivered him vaginally...and no tearing... that was a year ago, our son is now 1. My husband and I dont use any birth control because I'am allergic to any form of  Birth Control aka:fake Estrogen (Even the low dose's gave me heart palpitations) We are happy with doing the billings method (checking cervical mucus etc...)  We arnt "trying' right now, but if we got pregnant we would be totally fine with it. For me, I would love to get pregnant again.... its just odd to me, that we got pregnant so fast with out first child.. and now it just isnt happening. I have a period every month, but the periods are ALWAYS different... one month I will get a period every 33 days, then the next month I will get a period every 25 days etc... its never every 28 days. The other thing I have noticed is that I ovulate TWICE. I write down my ovulation date on my calander and it seems pretty acurate that I ovulate on that date... then about the day before I get my period I ovulate again! Very noticeable. What is going on!?!? My husband and I have sex about EVERY night of the week! We even have sex when I'm fertile..... My question is, if we have sex all the time do you think his sperm count gets low because we have sex so much? Should we try and have sex less to build up his semen? Do you think we havnt gotten pregnant because the "date" of my periods change monthly? I just dont understand how we have 1 baby together and got pregnant easy... and now its not easy?   

Any Advice?? PS- I was on Progon-B (When I got pregnant) My doc. had me on it because I had irregular periods.... do you think the Progon-B got me pregnant?? I havnt been on it since I had found out I was pregnant. We are letting nature just take its course, I'm just getting  a little frustrated... and a little worried that there might be fertility issues?
Thanks!   

Hi,  

I've been on Progon B as well, and now we're trying to get pregnant. I was nervous that it might interfere. How much were you taking when you got pregnant, and at what times during your cycle??

I would really appreciate the information and help.

Thank you.  

June 28, 2006, 9:18 am CDT

Harder the second time

My fiance and I have been together for 4 almost 5 years.  We have a beautiful 3 year old little girl.  Well i got pregant unexpectingly with her.  But now that we have been trying for 2 years. I just haven't got pregant yet.  It is so hard every month i get my period its horrible. I cry and cry.   I feel like all these younger girls who get pregant and have abortions and have no one there to help them, or mothers who would harm and abuse there children are able to have kids.  But me someone who wants a child more than anything else can not get pregant for the second time.  I am a great mother and I love my daughter more than anything in tha world.  Why can't the lord above let me get pregant again.

July 5, 2006, 5:16 am CDT

Ovulation

Quote From: edjackson

Hi,  

I've been on Progon B as well, and now we're trying to get pregnant. I was nervous that it might interfere. How much were you taking when you got pregnant, and at what times during your cycle??

I would really appreciate the information and help.

Thank you.  

Hi,  

How do you know you're ovulating? I've heard it's ususally 14days after your period starts but I'm not sure.  

Thanks  

July 14, 2006, 5:05 pm CDT

Out of Options

This is my first time ever posting a message on something like this, but I guess I am just.... struggling with this issue and maybe something like this will help. When I married my husband he already had 4 children from previous relationships, and had a vasectomy while married to his ex-wife. When he met, he was very honest with me, and we agreed to get married, and that we would pursue a vasectomy reversal.  Because I was very niave' regarding the success rates of this (or I should say, LACK of success rates), we are now two years into infertility treatments with no success. I was completely unprepared for the devestation I would feel by not being able to have a child. It is even more painful when I see the joy that he has with his children (his youngest just turned 8) - it makes me feel incredibly empty. I struggle because I feel like I  made sure to live my life with high morals and standards - I feel that life is very unfair. (which of course we all know that it is. ) What makes this situation even more painful for me is that I can't discuss this with my husband, because he knows how much I long to have a child, and he feels like a failure that the reversal didn't work. He is afraid that I will leave him in order to be with someone that I can have a child with. I love my husband dearly, but I don't know how to deal with this depression and sadness. We can't afford IVF and we are the end of our finances for treatment. We've spent our mortage time again to attempt "one more time".  And now I can't even afford a counslor to disucss all that I am struggling with. I just don't know what to do.

July 17, 2006, 8:41 am CDT

Have you spoken to you OB?

Quote From: greeneyes4

Thanks!   

It could very well be that you may need progesterone support. It could also be due to breastfeeding if you are. Your periods may not have regulated themselves yet. Go see you ob for some basic bloodwork. She'll probably be able to answer all you questons.

Kim

First | Prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next | Last