Message Boards

Topic : MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

Number of Replies: 2265
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, April 30, 2006, 05:01:28 pm
Author : inchesbgon
  • Congratulations for crossing the finish line in one of the most difficult journeys that you will face in your life! And now that you've crossed over from the 'darkside' you may be thinking, "What do I need to do to maintain my weight?"  You may feel like an awkward, lost puppy.  For so long now, whenever things got rough you summoned up your Willpower.  And your scales benefited from doing such.  But what now?  How much can you eat without gaining even an ounce of that unwanted weight back?
  •  When you get to your healthy target weight, what’s the best way to maintain it? It can be tough, well, here is the place for support.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 30, 2006, 5:22 pm CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

One of the major problems people face when gaining weight after the UWLS is feeling like their previous efforts have been pointless. They often think, 'I might as well eat what I want now.' If this occurs, you need to 'remember the determination you found to lose the weight in the first place. And if you need the motivation to keep up the effort, try putting an old photograph of yourself on the fridge and remembering how unhappy you were with the way you looked before the UWLS.

April 30, 2006, 5:24 pm CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

Don't panic if you put on weight. Think about what could have caused the gain and amend your diet accordingly. 

April 30, 2006, 5:26 pm CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

Q: When you get to your healthy target weight, what’s the best way to maintain it? Should you increase your calorie intake all at once or by so many calories each day?

A: This is a really good question – and congratulations on hitting target, or at least almost being there. After weeks, months or even years of controlling your calorie intake, knowing what to do when you hit target can be scary but you can’t stick with your dieting calorie allowance forever. 

While some successful slimmers prefer to immediately increase their calorie intake, others prefer to do it in steps. In many ways, this is a good idea as it helps you to concentrate on getting your extra calories by gradually increasing the portion sizes of the foods you’re already eating rather than suddenly adding in chocolate, crisps, booze and takeaways. I recommend this five-step plan to maintain your new healthier weight. 

Five Step Plan

Step 1 Once you reach target, add 250 calories a day to your existing daily calorie intake. This means if you’ve been having 1,250 calories each day, you should now have 1,500 calories a day. 

Step 2 After a week, weigh yourself on your usual scales. You’ll probably have lost a little more weight. If so, add another 250 calories to last week’s daily allowance. So, if you were having 1,500 calories a day, now have 1,750 calories daily. 

Step 3 After a week, weigh yourself again. If you’ve lost more weight, add an extra 250 calories to your daily intake, for example from 1,750 calories to 2,000 calories each day. 

Step 4 After a week, if your weight has stabilised that’s the amount of calories you need each day to keep your new slim shape. If you’ve gained a tiny amount, drop your daily calorie intake by 100 calories, for example, from 2,000 calories to 1,900 calories daily. After a week, weigh yourself again. If your weight has stayed the same, that’s the amount of calories you need each day for weight maintenance. If your weight has gone up or down, juggle your daily calorie intake by 50 calories a day until your weight eventually stabilises. 

Step 5 Weigh yourself once a week on your usual scales until you are confident that you’re maintaining your healthy weight. 

April 30, 2006, 7:42 pm CDT

Food Tip

Barley 

Inky dinky barley boo! A one-half cup of cooked barley contains about 97 calories and is low in fat and high in fiber which can assist in lowering bad cholesterol levels and protect against certain types of cancer. Rich in iron, folate and niacin, barley makes a healthy part of a weight loss plan.  

Toss a bit of barley boo into your pot of soup, or stain and flavor the liquid with lemon, a drink that is renown to be soothing to invalids. 

April 30, 2006, 7:54 pm CDT

Almonds

These packed-with-fiber little nuts may hold a key in opening up clogged veins. Although high in fat, it's of the monounsaturated variety which translates into controlling serum cholesterol. 

Other benefits of almonds include: fair amounts of the nutrients zinc, folate, potassium, calcium; they are also a very good source of magnesium (aids in regulating blood pressure), contain minimal sodium, and zero cholesterol. 

April 30, 2006, 7:56 pm CDT

Cucumbers

A relish of cucumber is a low calorie mix that will add zest but not pounds to your weight loss plan. Peel and seed one cucumber; chop; measure out 1 cup. Add 1/4 cup of chopped onion, a dash of salt, a dash of pepper, 1/2 cup of tomatoes and 1/4 cup of bell peppers. Enjoy with seasoned beef or poultry. 

Creamy cucumber dressing is another diet delight! Peel and seed one cucumber and measure out 1/2 cup of mashed cucumber. Add 1 cup of low fat sour cream plus 1/4 cup of skimmed milk.  Sprinkle in fresh chopped dill. 

April 30, 2006, 10:07 pm CDT

great idea!

Hi,

I started at 186 on Jan 7 of this year.  I weighed in Saturday at 149, same as you!  I plan to get down to 137.  I have actually been nervous about reaching my goal and learning to maintain.  I did this 2 years ago, and gained it all back.  I will not do that again.  I am feeling really great, and am already finding myself  wanting to rebel against exercise and eating right some days.  I love the way I feel now, I am so much more confident.  I need to hang on to that feeling.  I liked your suggestion of how to gradually increase calories until I maintain.  I think that's what I'll do.  How often do you exercise now to maintain?  I'm working out 5-6 days/week now, and am hoping to decrease to 3-4.  So, I don't have suggestions on how to maintain yet, but I am looking forward to being able to participate in a couple of months.  I'm trying to lose 12 more pounds before I go to a wedding in July 1.  I'm glad you started this board.

May 1, 2006, 7:00 am CDT

Congrats on your loss!!

Quote From: imlosingw8

Hi,

I started at 186 on Jan 7 of this year.  I weighed in Saturday at 149, same as you!  I plan to get down to 137.  I have actually been nervous about reaching my goal and learning to maintain.  I did this 2 years ago, and gained it all back.  I will not do that again.  I am feeling really great, and am already finding myself  wanting to rebel against exercise and eating right some days.  I love the way I feel now, I am so much more confident.  I need to hang on to that feeling.  I liked your suggestion of how to gradually increase calories until I maintain.  I think that's what I'll do.  How often do you exercise now to maintain?  I'm working out 5-6 days/week now, and am hoping to decrease to 3-4.  So, I don't have suggestions on how to maintain yet, but I am looking forward to being able to participate in a couple of months.  I'm trying to lose 12 more pounds before I go to a wedding in July 1.  I'm glad you started this board.

Nice to see you!! And yes we are the same weight. At least I hope I'm still 149, haven't weighed myself for I think 2 or 3 weeks. I thought I would weigh myself once a month now but I think I'm going to have to weigh myself every week again.  

Do you follow Dr.phils plan?   

It is a little scary when your close to goal, you think what now? How do I eat? how much do I exercise? I reached my goal back in October, then I moved to another city and gained 5 or 6 lbs. I got that all off again, but it's still seems like I'm struggling everyday with food. Wish I was one of those people that can eat and eat and not gain weight! lol  

As for exercise, well it's sporadic, I do it when I am up to it. I try to do 30 minutes a day or when I'm in a good mood and it's nice out, I'll go for an hour long walk, last week I walked for a total of 5 hrs all week, just cause it was so nice out all week, I just wanted to be outside.   

I went for an hour long bike ride yesterday. And I might go to the gym today. So I get the exercise in, just not on a routine. lol  

One thing I am starting to forget to do is drink water, so today I've got a paper on the fridge to check off how much water I'm drinking, would like to at least get a minimum of 8 glasses in.  

I have to go and do some grocery shopping today, need some veggies and fruit. I need stuff to make salads, I get sick of salads every once in awhile, then bring them back and get sick of them again! lol  

Well, keep on posting and we'll keep each other inline!!  

Loosey  

May 1, 2006, 7:03 am CDT

One more thing...

I think it is important to slowly add calories on once you start to maintain your weight. Cause when your on stage 2, you don't really have that much carbs in your diet. So if you add too much right away, you will notice it on the scale, especially if your sodium intake is higher. So adding them slowly is the way to go. 

Loosey 

May 1, 2006, 7:10 am CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

There's no going back

If, once you've reached your realistic target weight, you go back to your old eating habits and activity levels, the weight will come back on. It's as simple as that.  

This is usually the problem with quick-fix diets. If they don't help you to make changes that you can maintain in the long term, they - and you - are doomed.  

Stay realistic

Now you've got there, beware of the 'how to be even skinnier' media messages that might lure you into feeling dissatisfied with your great achievement. You still have a life to live and enjoy, so hang on the satisfaction of being at a comfortable, healthy weight you can sustain. The successful do. They also tend to lose weight more gradually in the first place compared with those who rebound back to square one.   

Health tip

Keep up a positive attitude and don't be dissatisfied with your body.   

Show flexible restraint

Successful slimmers and many slim people who stay that way by 'watching their weight', show flexible restraint rather than following rigid all-or-nothing rules. They make healthy choices most of the time, but see no foods as forbidden.   

This means enjoying small amounts of favourite foods without feeling guilty. Or, if you do over-indulge or have a big night out, cutting back a bit or doing more exercise the next day to balance things out.   

Eat healthily

Learn how to choose, prepare and enjoy a balanced diet. Low-fat cooking skills, understanding food labels and having the ability to judge portion sizes all help here. So does eating regular meals, taking time to really taste them, planning ahead for difficult times - and indulging yourself now and then!  

How to eat like a successful slimmer
  • Continue to eat a balanced, lower fat diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables.
  • Don't avoid any foods, just watch portion sizes and limit the amount of certain foods.
  • Have three regular meals a day at regular times (starting with breakfast), and a couple healthy snacks.
  • Eat out occasionally, but limit fast food.
  • Sit down to eat your meals, take time over them and pay attention to what you're eating.

Stay active

Getting regular exercise is one of the strongest indicators of long-term success. Not only does it burn calories and increase metabolism-boosting muscle, it also boosts self-esteem and beats stress. Studies show that simply walking for 30 minutes or so each day, plus some other activities during the week, can be enough.   

Have ongoing support

Changing the habits of a lifetime isn't easy, and keeping them up is no doddle either. Having the right kind of support, not only when losing weight but afterwards too, is vital.   

The successful also keep supporting themselves by 'self-monitoring' to stay conscious of their new eating and activity habits - whether this is with a regular or occasional food diary, keeping a mental note or ongoing calorie awareness.   

Learn to deal with stress

For many people, food is a quick and effective way to deal with stress. If this is the case with you, take some time to think about the stresses in your life and how you respond to them. A food and thoughts diary can be helpful here.   

Think about how you could manage stress differently. Things that help others include regular exercise, breathing and visualisation techniques, and challenging negative self-talk that spirals into anxiety.  

How to act like a successful slimmer
  • Check your weight regularly (once or twice a week) or use another guide, such as how your clothes fit or body composition.
  • Don't tell yourself off if you overeat and don't feel guilty about eating certain foods.
  • Manage stress and confront problems, rather than eating, drinking, sleeping or just wishing they would go away. Gain help and support from your family, friends, a club, website or health professionals.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last