Message Boards

Topic : MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

Number of Replies: 2265
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, April 30, 2006, 05:01:28 pm
Author : inchesbgon
  • Congratulations for crossing the finish line in one of the most difficult journeys that you will face in your life! And now that you've crossed over from the 'darkside' you may be thinking, "What do I need to do to maintain my weight?"  You may feel like an awkward, lost puppy.  For so long now, whenever things got rough you summoned up your Willpower.  And your scales benefited from doing such.  But what now?  How much can you eat without gaining even an ounce of that unwanted weight back?
  •  When you get to your healthy target weight, what’s the best way to maintain it? It can be tough, well, here is the place for support.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 15, 2006, 8:27 pm CDT

body fat percentage

So, now that I'm close to my goal, I had my body fat percentage checked at the gym last night.  They have a scale you stand on bare-footed and it measures weight, body fat, muscle weight, and hydration.  I'm not sure if it's as accurate as measuring with the calipers.  I still may ask my former trainer to measure that way.  Anyway, 27% is the max for "healthy", then it's "fair".  I'm at 30%.  The trainer said to combine strength training with cardio to increase fat burning by 30% in a workout.  You warm up on cardio, lift, run up and down stairs or do another cardio machine, then back to weights, etc.  I told him I'm about done losing weight.  He said I'll still lose some...as I increase muscle, I will burn more fat.  I think once I'm back from my trip I'm going to concentrate on body fat percentage more than pounds.  What do you think?  There are thin people who are toned, and there are thin people who are not-so-toned.  I'd definitely like to be more toned. 

Diane 

June 16, 2006, 9:33 am CDT

Good Morning!

Quote From: imlosingw8

So, now that I'm close to my goal, I had my body fat percentage checked at the gym last night.  They have a scale you stand on bare-footed and it measures weight, body fat, muscle weight, and hydration.  I'm not sure if it's as accurate as measuring with the calipers.  I still may ask my former trainer to measure that way.  Anyway, 27% is the max for "healthy", then it's "fair".  I'm at 30%.  The trainer said to combine strength training with cardio to increase fat burning by 30% in a workout.  You warm up on cardio, lift, run up and down stairs or do another cardio machine, then back to weights, etc.  I told him I'm about done losing weight.  He said I'll still lose some...as I increase muscle, I will burn more fat.  I think once I'm back from my trip I'm going to concentrate on body fat percentage more than pounds.  What do you think?  There are thin people who are toned, and there are thin people who are not-so-toned.  I'd definitely like to be more toned. 

Diane 

I'm feeling better today!  

Your at 30%! That's pretty good isn't it? I've never thought of getting my body fat percentage checked out, maybe I should.   

The workout he's talking about is similar to the Oprahs Boot Camp workout. If she still has it on her website it's kind of the same thing, she has a treadmill workout, where you go on the treadmill, then to weights, then go back on the treadmill and so on...I've never tried it, but I'm sure it would burn more fat and build more muscle, toning wise.   

That's what I want to work on also, toning my body, I started slowly last week, doing 15 min day, just a short workout with weights, lunges, squats, and abs. But I wanted to start off slowly and maybe go up to 20 min. a day. They say do 30 min every other day, but you can also do 15-20 min a day too. And if you don't want muscle, you wouldn't do more than 15-20 min a day. You can do that and do your walking on the same day. Do you do any strengh training at all? It will help with toning. I think it would work. But unlike me, you have to stick to it right! lol   

I figured out why my legs are sooooo sore, it was the other night when the kids and I went to the park, I was climbing up the slide (the kid in me!) I went up a few times, it was pretty hard, and now I have sore legs! lol   

I had 3 small ww pancakes for breaky, 2 of them I used sf syrup and one I topped with unsweetened apple sauce and cinnamon. With a glass of milk.  

Loosey  

June 16, 2006, 7:27 pm CDT

what a great feeling!

Quote From: inchesbgon

I'm feeling better today!  

Your at 30%! That's pretty good isn't it? I've never thought of getting my body fat percentage checked out, maybe I should.   

The workout he's talking about is similar to the Oprahs Boot Camp workout. If she still has it on her website it's kind of the same thing, she has a treadmill workout, where you go on the treadmill, then to weights, then go back on the treadmill and so on...I've never tried it, but I'm sure it would burn more fat and build more muscle, toning wise.   

That's what I want to work on also, toning my body, I started slowly last week, doing 15 min day, just a short workout with weights, lunges, squats, and abs. But I wanted to start off slowly and maybe go up to 20 min. a day. They say do 30 min every other day, but you can also do 15-20 min a day too. And if you don't want muscle, you wouldn't do more than 15-20 min a day. You can do that and do your walking on the same day. Do you do any strengh training at all? It will help with toning. I think it would work. But unlike me, you have to stick to it right! lol   

I figured out why my legs are sooooo sore, it was the other night when the kids and I went to the park, I was climbing up the slide (the kid in me!) I went up a few times, it was pretty hard, and now I have sore legs! lol   

I had 3 small ww pancakes for breaky, 2 of them I used sf syrup and one I topped with unsweetened apple sauce and cinnamon. With a glass of milk.  

Loosey  

I just went through my closet and got rid of A LOT of clothes!!!  Size 12, 14, 16, 18!  Some of the clothes I just bought in December because I had outgrown everything.  The psychology of the whole thing is interesting...as I got into some of the 12's, I found myself thinking, "I like these pants.  What if I need them again?"  But then I came across my favorite black pants, size 8, that I wore to an event Wednesday night and thought, "But why would I want to outgrow these again?"  I think a big key to maintaining this time is staying in touch with people on a board such as this to share and be accountable.  When I lost all this weight 2 years ago, I went through my closet and the only large size I saved was my largest jeans ever.  Unfortunately, I was wearing them again last December.  This time, I had my daughter take a picture of me in them and got rid of them! 

I'll have to check out Oprah's Boot Camp.  That sounds just like what the trainer was talking about.  I actually did that type of workout for a while last year.  It's hard, but I can see its advantages. 

Looks like we can both work on toning together, Loosey.  We'll have to come up with a plan and a way to measure how we're doing.  Actually, it sounds like you have a plan for lifting weights.  It sounds like a good one.  Right now, I have only been lifting one day a week in that class I go to.  I wish they offered the class more often, it's a great one. 

Funny about your legs being sore from climbing the slide...I get "seasick" if I try to swing!  How do our kids do it?  lol 

I weigh in tomorrow.  I'd love it if I hit my vacation goal of 137!  I was 139 last week.  Keep your fingers crossed. 

Diane 

June 16, 2006, 8:31 pm CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

I just went through my closet and got rid of A LOT of clothes!!!  Size 12, 14, 16, 18!  Some of the clothes I just bought in December because I had outgrown everything.  The psychology of the whole thing is interesting...as I got into some of the 12's, I found myself thinking, "I like these pants.  What if I need them again?"  But then I came across my favorite black pants, size 8, that I wore to an event Wednesday night and thought, "But why would I want to outgrow these again?"  I think a big key to maintaining this time is staying in touch with people on a board such as this to share and be accountable.  When I lost all this weight 2 years ago, I went through my closet and the only large size I saved was my largest jeans ever.  Unfortunately, I was wearing them again last December.  This time, I had my daughter take a picture of me in them and got rid of them! 

I'll have to check out Oprah's Boot Camp.  That sounds just like what the trainer was talking about.  I actually did that type of workout for a while last year.  It's hard, but I can see its advantages. 

Looks like we can both work on toning together, Loosey.  We'll have to come up with a plan and a way to measure how we're doing.  Actually, it sounds like you have a plan for lifting weights.  It sounds like a good one.  Right now, I have only been lifting one day a week in that class I go to.  I wish they offered the class more often, it's a great one. 

Funny about your legs being sore from climbing the slide...I get "seasick" if I try to swing!  How do our kids do it?  lol 

I weigh in tomorrow.  I'd love it if I hit my vacation goal of 137!  I was 139 last week.  Keep your fingers crossed. 

Diane 

I'm glad you got rid of all those big clothes, cause you don't want to be wearing those again!! And you won't be needing them again, like Dr.Phil says, if your small clothes start getting too snug, it's time for a reality check!! heehee Size 8! That's awesome! How tall did you say you were? Yes, being accountable, truthful, and having no excuses is the way to go and the way to be, in order to reach your goal and maintain. Your doing it, your giving it your all, that's what I call determination. I'm glad you took a picture of yourself in those big jeans and then threw them out, you should stick the picture on you fridge door for a reminder for when your maintaining.   

They have a bootcamp at the YMCA, I keep saying I'm going to go, then when I finally think I'm going to go, dh has to go to work! grrr.... I would like to try it out next week though. Hopefully he doesn't get called in to work. But like I said, I do have the weights at home and even that will help.   

I'm crossing my fingers, I hope you reach your goal tomorrow!! You will, you've been doing good all week.  

I walked today for 1 hr and 15 min.   

Loosey  

June 16, 2006, 8:35 pm CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

I have to work right through the weekend till Tuesday. They have all these cakes, muffins, cookies, and all this other fattening food in the cafeteria. But I have a way to stay away from those, I leave my purse and money at home and only take my healthy supper to work!! I feel good when I come home at night and know I didn't eat any junk! 

Loosey 

June 17, 2006, 9:25 am CDT

I did it! I did it!

Weigh-in went great today...lost 2 this week.  I made it to 137 a week before my trip!  Whew!  I wasn't sure I was going to make it for a while.  I'd like to lose 6 more pounds total.  I think I'll make July 22 my target date.  6 pounds in 5 weeks with a vacation in there.  That's doable. 

In answer to your question, Loosey, I'm 5'6".  What about you?  Great job resisting all those goodies!  That's smart to not take any money and to take your healthy meal!  It's such a great feeling to resist temptation!  Sometimes I think about how sick I'd probably feel if I ate a lot of sweets or junk food since I haven't had much in so long.  Definitely not worth it! 

Guess what?  Remember I bought a formal dress for this wedding I'm going to?  When I bought it a couple of months ago, I had to "suck it in" while my mom pulled the zipper up.  Now it's a little big!  I have to get it altered or get a new dress!  Yippee! 

Have a great day! 

Diane 

P.S.  On the other board, they're talking about the Biggest Loser dvd.  Do you have it?  I'm wondering about the workout with weights.  Maybe I'll get it for when I can't make it to the gym. 

June 17, 2006, 1:24 pm CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

Weigh-in went great today...lost 2 this week.  I made it to 137 a week before my trip!  Whew!  I wasn't sure I was going to make it for a while.  I'd like to lose 6 more pounds total.  I think I'll make July 22 my target date.  6 pounds in 5 weeks with a vacation in there.  That's doable. 

In answer to your question, Loosey, I'm 5'6".  What about you?  Great job resisting all those goodies!  That's smart to not take any money and to take your healthy meal!  It's such a great feeling to resist temptation!  Sometimes I think about how sick I'd probably feel if I ate a lot of sweets or junk food since I haven't had much in so long.  Definitely not worth it! 

Guess what?  Remember I bought a formal dress for this wedding I'm going to?  When I bought it a couple of months ago, I had to "suck it in" while my mom pulled the zipper up.  Now it's a little big!  I have to get it altered or get a new dress!  Yippee! 

Have a great day! 

Diane 

P.S.  On the other board, they're talking about the Biggest Loser dvd.  Do you have it?  I'm wondering about the workout with weights.  Maybe I'll get it for when I can't make it to the gym. 

Way to go on your 2 lb loss!! I knew you could do it!    

I am 5'5.5" something like that! lol unless I shrunk. So your just a bit more taller than me! I wonder what I would look like at 135 lbs? Do you have a picture? Did you weigh that much before you had kids? Your starting to make me think that I should lose more! lol nahhh kidding, I like the way I'm at now, I remember being 135lbs when I was 12 years old, I think people would start calling me anorexic!! hehehe hmmmm....maybe I could go down to 140....that could be my limit! Ohhh I don't know, now I'm confused! lol  

Wow!! the dress is a bit big now! isn't that so cool!!   

I would get the Biggest loser DVD, I think I would like the sculpting part of it. I just can't afford it right now. But I think it would be good.  

Loosey  

June 17, 2006, 3:35 pm CDT

goal weight

Way to go on your 2 lb loss!! I knew you could do it!    

I am 5'5.5" something like that! lol unless I shrunk. So your just a bit more taller than me! I wonder what I would look like at 135 lbs? Do you have a picture? Did you weigh that much before you had kids? Your starting to make me think that I should lose more! lol nahhh kidding, I like the way I'm at now, I remember being 135lbs when I was 12 years old, I think people would start calling me anorexic!! hehehe hmmmm....maybe I could go down to 140....that could be my limit! Ohhh I don't know, now I'm confused! lol  

Wow!! the dress is a bit big now! isn't that so cool!!   

I would get the Biggest loser DVD, I think I would like the sculpting part of it. I just can't afford it right now. But I think it would be good.  

Loosey  

Hi Loosey, 

Stay at whatever weight you're comfortable with...that's your "get real weight".  I was this height in high school, but 110 lbs--too skinny.  When I got out of college I was 123.  I never had a weight problem until after I had my adorable children.  lol  After I had my youngest, 5 years ago, I got down to 131 and felt really good there.  Due to stress, I actually got down to 126 for a short time.  I didn't feel so good there.  I don't know if I was too thin, or just not taking care of myself under a lot of stress.  I do feel really good now, but I do feel like I should lose a little more.  Remember, it's not a competition.  Body frames are all different and we all carry weight differently. 

My husband thinks it may take longer for me to get to 131, since it's harder to lose weight as we get close to our goal weight.  I'll try to hit 131 by July 29.  After that, I'm going to work on body fat percentage.  I'll get that measured once a month, and see where that takes my weight.  I'll still obviously eat the way I am now, plus a couple hundred calores, but I'll also lift weights a few times a week.  And, definitely, if my size 8's get snug, I'm going on the rapid start plan for a week or two!  Keep me accountable!  : ) 

Diane 

June 17, 2006, 8:49 pm CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

Hi Loosey, 

Stay at whatever weight you're comfortable with...that's your "get real weight".  I was this height in high school, but 110 lbs--too skinny.  When I got out of college I was 123.  I never had a weight problem until after I had my adorable children.  lol  After I had my youngest, 5 years ago, I got down to 131 and felt really good there.  Due to stress, I actually got down to 126 for a short time.  I didn't feel so good there.  I don't know if I was too thin, or just not taking care of myself under a lot of stress.  I do feel really good now, but I do feel like I should lose a little more.  Remember, it's not a competition.  Body frames are all different and we all carry weight differently. 

My husband thinks it may take longer for me to get to 131, since it's harder to lose weight as we get close to our goal weight.  I'll try to hit 131 by July 29.  After that, I'm going to work on body fat percentage.  I'll get that measured once a month, and see where that takes my weight.  I'll still obviously eat the way I am now, plus a couple hundred calores, but I'll also lift weights a few times a week.  And, definitely, if my size 8's get snug, I'm going on the rapid start plan for a week or two!  Keep me accountable!  : ) 

Diane 

Your right, I will just stay right here, I am comfortable right where I am, my get real weight. And I've recieved enough compliments, so I must be ok. I got called the "THIN ONE" at work! lol Then one day my aunt seen me coming out of the van, and she said I looked like a skinny toothpick!! haha, that one made me laugh!   

You only have 6 lbs to go! I think you will do it by July 29, you have over a month to lose it and at the rate your going, you'll do it, I know you will.   

I rode my bike to work and back tonight, so that's part of my exercise. kinda scary riding at night! lol  

I'm feeling a bit hungry right now, so I think I'll have a slice of toast. Too early to go to bed, and I don't want to hear my stomach growling! lol  

Have a goodnight  

Loosey  

June 19, 2006, 8:31 pm CDT

Gotta love those compliments!

Your right, I will just stay right here, I am comfortable right where I am, my get real weight. And I've recieved enough compliments, so I must be ok. I got called the "THIN ONE" at work! lol Then one day my aunt seen me coming out of the van, and she said I looked like a skinny toothpick!! haha, that one made me laugh!   

You only have 6 lbs to go! I think you will do it by July 29, you have over a month to lose it and at the rate your going, you'll do it, I know you will.   

I rode my bike to work and back tonight, so that's part of my exercise. kinda scary riding at night! lol  

I'm feeling a bit hungry right now, so I think I'll have a slice of toast. Too early to go to bed, and I don't want to hear my stomach growling! lol  

Have a goodnight  

Loosey  

The "thin one"!  What a nice thing to be called!  Doesn't that make you feel so proud of yourself for all of that hard work to lose all of that weight?  Not that you did it for other people, but it sure is nice to be recognized and acknowledged for your efforts! 

I got a different dress for the wedding...a size 6!  Now, I can only get in a size 6 dress, because I am smaller on top, and the dress has a full skirt.  But, it's still a 6.  lol  After our trip, I'll try to post a before picture and one from the wedding. 

I've been feeling really stressed the last few days...trying to get so much done before we leave.  I've actually found myself wanting to stress-eat a few times.  I've resisted! 

Hope you're doing well. 

Diane 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last