Message Boards

Topic : MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

Number of Replies: 2265
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, April 30, 2006, 05:01:28 pm
Author : inchesbgon
  • Congratulations for crossing the finish line in one of the most difficult journeys that you will face in your life! And now that you've crossed over from the 'darkside' you may be thinking, "What do I need to do to maintain my weight?"  You may feel like an awkward, lost puppy.  For so long now, whenever things got rough you summoned up your Willpower.  And your scales benefited from doing such.  But what now?  How much can you eat without gaining even an ounce of that unwanted weight back?
  •  When you get to your healthy target weight, what’s the best way to maintain it? It can be tough, well, here is the place for support.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 19, 2006, 10:19 pm CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

Quote From: imlosingw8

The "thin one"!  What a nice thing to be called!  Doesn't that make you feel so proud of yourself for all of that hard work to lose all of that weight?  Not that you did it for other people, but it sure is nice to be recognized and acknowledged for your efforts! 

I got a different dress for the wedding...a size 6!  Now, I can only get in a size 6 dress, because I am smaller on top, and the dress has a full skirt.  But, it's still a 6.  lol  After our trip, I'll try to post a before picture and one from the wedding. 

I've been feeling really stressed the last few days...trying to get so much done before we leave.  I've actually found myself wanting to stress-eat a few times.  I've resisted! 

Hope you're doing well. 

Diane 

Ya, I thought that was pretty funny!  

Size 6! WOW! Your gonna be one hot mama at that wedding! It will be nice to see a picture.  

I know what you mean about stress! You are being very strong, that's the main thing! Take it one day at a time.  

As for me.......well I kinda blew it today, too much junk food. I just didn't want to eat healthy today, yes, I have those days, so today was a junk food day, the weekend wasn't that great either, but it wasn't junk food, just ate too much! lol I'll get it back together.   

I think I want to go down to 145 lbs. And If I can make it there, then I want to get down to 140 lbs. I won't rush it though, cause I know how hard it's going to be for me. No one will ever notice! hehehee I think I just feel I need to lose just a bit more. I did go down to 145 lbs before Christmas, but the only reason why I lost it, was so I can eat a bit more during the holidays. I don't know, I'll just see what happens, if I lose it, I lose it, If I don't, I don't! lol  

Good night, I am starting to get tired from work, legs are getting pretty sore! So much walking! I work late, then I can't sleep when I get home.  

Loosey  

June 19, 2006, 10:24 pm CDT

Choose Your Medicine: Laughter, Music, Optimism

11 ways to knock out STRESS and lower your risk of heart disease  

Stress: The word lingers like a threatening hiss. And that's appropriate, because too much stress, over time, can cause you to acquire risk factors--diabetes, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure--that lead to heart disease.

How does stress work? It releases adrenaline from the autonomic nervous system. "This adrenaline release sets up a whole cascade of reactions, including increased heart rate and blood pressure and stimulation of blood clotting cells, called platelets. Stress hormones can damage blood vessels by altering their flexibility and making them more vulnerable to plaque disruption," explains cardiologist Nieca Goldberg, MD, author of The Women's Healthy Heart Program.

Chronic stress can result in unhealthy habits, such as smoking, being sedentary, overusing alcohol, eating poorly, and being socially isolated, she adds.

Too stressed out to even think about taking care of yourself? Here are some tips to help you out:

Be optimistic.
PollyAnna was right: Optimists live longer than pessimists, according to a study of over 1,100 people tracked for 30 years by researchers at the Mayo Clinic.

And, in a separate study of 999 people, men and women ages 65 to 85, researchers in the Netherlands found that optimistic participants had lower rates of heart disease and were 77% less likely to die of cardiovascular diseases.

Switch jobs.
Yes, your critical boss really can make you sick. The more your job stresses you out, the greater your chance of developing metabolic syndrome, a combination of factors that increase the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes, according to a study of over 10,000 British civil servants.

Turn on the tunes.
Researchers found that classical music, particularly Baroque--think Pachelbel's Canon in D--works well. Music with adagio movements of 60 beats per minute produced heightened alpha brain wave activity similar to that found during deep relaxation and meditation.

Don't yo-yo diet.
Is fitting into that slinky black dress worth a heart attack? A study sponsored by the National Institutes of Health showed that consistently gaining or losing weight increased the risk of cardiovascular disease due to lower levels of HDL, the good cholesterol.

Take control.
"When you perceive you're not in control, that's when stress hormones come into play," says Goldberg. Know what triggers your stress, and work to lessen the feelings so the stress is not prolonged.

Toast less.
"Some people use alcohol to reduce stress, but it's a two-edged sword that most likely will lead to dependency," says JoAnn Manson, MD, DrPH, chief of the Division of Preventive Medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital. Abusing alcohol raises levels of triglycerides, which are fats in the blood, and can lead to high blood pressure and heart failure.

Practice tai chi.
Moods were raised and cortisol levels dropped in one study of tai chi practitioners. When compared to other participants in the study who walked 6 kilometers per hour, the tai chi practitioners were found to have similar heart rate and blood pressure levels.

"Have you heard the one about...?"
Researchers at Loma Linda University Medical Center had adults view funny videos, and found that humor triggered a physiological response similar to exercise. Laughter increased endorphins and neurotransmitters, lowered stress hormone levels, and activated T-cells, which fight viruses. Too buttoned up to belly laugh? Consider joining a laughter club for some help (www.laughterclubnsw.com).

Forgive someone.
Stanford researchers, in a study of 259 people who received forgiveness training, found that 70% of them had decreased feelings of hurt, 27% had reduced physical symptoms of stress, and 15% had lower emotional stress.

Make friends.
"Women need each other, especially after a sudden stressful event," says Goldberg. A 2005 study published in the New England Journal of Medicine showed that women's hearts are more vulnerable to sudden stressful events, and that highly emotional experiences cause a surge in stress hormones and temporarily weaken the heart muscle.

Meditate.
In a Canadian study of 90 patients, those who meditated in a group for 7 weeks, as well as additionally at home, had lower scores of mood disturbances, stress, depression, anxiety, and anger than the group that did not meditate. So take time to center. Most experts and meditation teachers recommend 20-minute periods.

June 20, 2006, 3:02 pm CDT

you can do it

If you really want to lose additional weight, I know you know how!  lol  Dr. Phil says to give yourself a timeline, but if you're in no hurry, I guess you don't need to.  You could always just make it far out, like losing 4 more pounds by the end of August.  I've been really hungry so far this week.  Not sure what's up with that.  That's a good article about stress, and very timely.  I'm really glad you started this board and have posted such useful information!  I have been re-reading some of the articles. 

What kind of work do you do that your legs are tired?  It's always good to have a job that helps burn calories. 

Have a good night, 

Diane 

June 21, 2006, 9:51 am CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

If you really want to lose additional weight, I know you know how!  lol  Dr. Phil says to give yourself a timeline, but if you're in no hurry, I guess you don't need to.  You could always just make it far out, like losing 4 more pounds by the end of August.  I've been really hungry so far this week.  Not sure what's up with that.  That's a good article about stress, and very timely.  I'm really glad you started this board and have posted such useful information!  I have been re-reading some of the articles. 

What kind of work do you do that your legs are tired?  It's always good to have a job that helps burn calories. 

Have a good night, 

Diane 

Your right, I know how to, I know what to do, just don't have enough umph!! to go for the gusto!! lol I bet I could lose 10 lbs by August if I really really want to....hmmmm....you just never know!! lol  

I was 150 lbs on Monday, and this morning I am 148.5 lbs. Was just checking to make sure I'm back on track. so what....8.5 lbs to go!! hehehee  

I'm a health care aide, (nurses aide..whatever you want to call it!) I work in a nursing home. Heavy duty work anyway. but it pays the bills.   

I wonder if you need to increase your calories if you are hungry? even just by 50 calories.   

Stress can sometimes make us want to eat, so I thought I would post that info, glad you liked it.  

Loosey  

June 21, 2006, 1:55 pm CDT

BODY RESPECT 101

Make weight loss easy with this two-step process   

So how do you learn to accept, respect, and love your current body 100 percent, right now, extra weight and all? To learn how to do just that, I'd like you to try a very special two-step exercise that will quickly show you how to better accept, respect, and love your body and thus make weight loss a walk in the park!

Step 1: Get Aware
Stop believing the old lies you have been consciously or subconsciously telling yourself about how your current body is not special enough, amazing enough, or precious enough to warrant your utmost attention and care right now. For example, if you are telling yourself, "Perhaps someday when it looks better (or younger or thinner), I will take better care of my body," you're telling yourself a lie.

I'd like you to uncover all of the damaging lies that you may be telling yourself, lies that will prevent you from fully accepting and respecting your body. To help you do that, I've listed 21 of the most common lies, ones that my clients have found limited their ability to succeed at any weight-loss plan.

1. "Losing weight is expensive."
In reality, weight loss costs nothing. You don't need to buy expensive equipment or premade meals to lose weight. And think about this: The costs of not getting fit--heart disease, diabetes, arthritis--are much higher than the costs of starting a weight-loss program.

2. "I don't have enough time to exercise."
You don't need a lot of time to get fit. You need only 8 minutes. That's right, just 8 minutes. Set your alarm 8 minutes earlier than usual and get up and just do it.  

3. "I can overeat now and make up for these excess calories by eating less tomorrow."
This is a form of procrastination, and it always results in disaster. Few people make up for the excess "tomorrow." And those who do eat less end up starving themselves and slowing their metabolisms. When you truly respect your body, you'll stick to healthful food portions all the time and never punish your body with starvation.

4. "I need to take care of others first. Once I meet their needs, then I can focus on myself."
This is perhaps one of the most prevalent and most vicious lies out there. In reality, you can't take care of others until you have first taken care of yourself. When you neglect your mind and body, you eventually have nothing left to give. And if you suffer a heart attack from neglecting your body, eventually others will have to take care of you.

5. "Weight loss is not worth the effort. I'm just going to gain it all back anyway."
I understand why you may feel this way, particularly if you have already lost and regained weight numerous times before. You must understand, however, that you're not to blame for those past failed attempts--the programs are at fault. To lose weight and keep it off, you must address the source of your problem. You must accept your body and heal your hungry heart. Once you do that, you will effortlessly lose the weight.

6. "My work is more important than my body."
To quote a fairly well-known phrase: "No man ever said on his deathbed, 'I wish I had spent more time at the office.'" Yet, I would bet that plenty of people on their deathbeds had wished they had taken better care of their bodies.

7. "Weight doesn't matter. I am ugly at any size."
Your body is an extraordinary machine that does extraordinary tasks every day. Once you learn to recognize that simple fact, you will realize that ugliness is a matter of perspective. If you focus on the amazing nature of your body--on your heart's ability to beat, on your muscles' ability to move, on your skin's ability to heal--then you will understand the inherent beauty of your body.   

8. "Nobody loves me or cares about me, so why should I care about myself?"
Perhaps one of the most perverse laws of human nature is that you must first love yourself before you can earn and receive love from others. Quite often, lack of self-love is what drives others from you. Think about it. Would you rather be around a depressed, sad, negative person or a confident, cheerful person? Once you become more confident, you'll find friends suddenly appearing in your life.

9. "I have already blown it today, so I might as well give up."
You've never blown it until you've given up altogether. Just one overeating episode will not ruin your chance for success. For the same reason fat is so hard to lose, it is also hard to gain. It takes 3,500 excess calories in order to gain one pound of fat. That's a lot of food. Believe me, you've never eaten that much in one sitting!

10. "I work hard. I deserve to eat as much as I want."
If you work hard, you deserve to pamper yourself, that's true. But overeating is a form of body punishment, not a form of pampering. I suggest you treat yourself to a massage, a warm bath, or a long talk with an old friend instead of treating yourself to food.

11. "I am fine on the inside. That's all that matters."
Both the inside and the outside of your body matter. Excess weight--on the outside--weakens and sickens the inside of your body. Take care of the outside of your body by losing weight, and the inside-your heart, lungs, and blood vessels--will become healthier and stronger.

12. "One day of not caring is not going to matter."
The problem with this thinking is that 1 day turns into 2 days which turns into 3 days, then 4, and so on. Start caring about your body today.  

13. "My husband/wife loves me no matter what my size."
I'm sure your spouse loves you, but this isn't about your spouse. This is about you. You should lose weight to make your life better, to improve your body, to feel more energetic and healthy, and to make your life easier. Of course, those around you will benefit, but you are the one that counts the most.

14. "Food is the only friend that can lift my spirits or remove the ache of loneliness."
Plenty of things--besides food--can help you heal your hungry heart.

15. "I don't want to offend my friends by not indulging with them."
My mother used to say, "If your friend jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?" Overeating hurts you just as much as using recreational drugs. If your friends are offended that you want to take better care of your body, they are not really your friends.

16. "I'm old. All old people are fat."
It's true that many people gain weight as they age as a result of a slower metabolism. If you strength train, however, you can keep your metabolism from slowing down in the first place.

17. "I'm still young. I can lose the weight later."
The statistics are stacked against you on this one. Most people tend to gain weight as they get older, not lose it. The best time to lose weight is right now!

18. "I can eat as much as my 6-foot-2-inch husband."
You probably know that this isn't true--as much as you want it to be so. Many women tell me that they gained weight when they were first married and began eating the same food portions as their husbands. Your husband has more muscle mass and is probably taller, and he therefore burns more calories each day than you do. You must stick to smaller food portions in order to lose weight.

19. "My metabolism is terrible."
This may be true. After many years of dieting, your metabolism may be much slower than it used to be. You can rev it up, however, with strength training.

20. "I'm genetically meant to be overweight."
This is only a half-truth. Some people do carry what scientists call a "thrifty gene," which makes their bodies resist burning fat. It only means, however, that you'll have to work a little harder than someone without this gene in order to lose weight and keep it off.  

21. "I'm too fat to exercise."
This lie is what led me to develop this book. Certain types of exercise may not be best suited for your body. But I know that you'll be able to comfortably perform the exercises in my program. I tested them on full-figured women. They work.

Working With Negative Beliefs
Did any of those lies resonate with you? Have you found yourself using them to make excuses for not exercising or eating healthful food portions? Do you have even more lies buried deep inside? Take a moment right now to think about what you've told yourself in the past that led to overeating or not exercising. Were you lying to yourself?

To get fully aware of your damaging, negative, and false beliefs, I want you write down your top three limiting beliefs that you have consciously or subconsciously told yourself, lies that resulted in your not believing that your body was special enough, amazing enough, or precious enough to warrant your highest attention and care. Feel free to borrow a few from those I mentioned earlier.

After you write down your top three limiting beliefs, write down the consequence of believing these old dis-empowering beliefs. And know that dissatisfaction can be a powerful spark that gets you to take action and change your behaviors forever.  

Once you've completed the limiting-beliefs exercise, you're ready to take another step on your journey to body respect. To fully acknowledge that your three negative beliefs are no longer a part of you, I want you to do something symbolic. Take a thick, black marker and ink out those three old beliefs with your pen. Yes, draw on top of them. Cover them up. Put a big xxx over them. This may seem like a simple, and maybe even silly, exercise, but believe me, it will symbolically help you to delete those same lies from your brain's hard drive.

By doing this, you will be signaling to your brain and subconscious that you are no longer willing to be ruled by these lies. As the words disappear, so will those damaging beliefs! You will feel empowered and invigorated. You will be free. Don't continue to read this until you have done this exercise. This physical act of destroying those old beliefs will impact your future success for the better. You will almost feel reborn.

Step 2: Replace the Junk with a Gem
Now that you have cleared out your emotional closet of the junk, it is now time to replace that junk with a true gem: empowering beliefs that will change your life and how you treat your body forever. Ready? Simply replace those three old limiting beliefs with the following power pledge:

"My current body is the most precious gift I have ever been given."

To fully commit that pledge to memory, write down the positive consequences of believing this gem on the Power Pledge Poster*. For example, you might write:

• "I will treat my body as a top priority."
  • "I will make sure to exercise my body on a regular basis."
  • "I will feed my body properly."
  • "I will finally lose the extra weight."

To strengthen your pledge, I want you to support it with 10 ultimate references. These are 10 ideas that make the power pledge completely real for you.

To create your ultimate references, ask yourself this simple question: "Why is this true?" In other words, "Why is my current body truly the most precious gift I have ever been given?" Write your answers on your Power Pledge Poster in the spaces provided.

Now that you've listed your 10 ultimate references, I want you to finish creating your Power Pledge Poster.

Once you complete your Power Pledge Poster, photocopy it three times, and place the posters in three spots in your house. I highly recommend posting it on your nightstand and in the bathroom, so you can see it when you first get up, and in the kitchen, so you can see it whenever you feel tempted to overeat or skip your Cruise Moves.

Your poster will serve as a powerful reminder to put your body first. One of my clients, Renee Hinton, who is very proud that she is "70 years young," makes sure to look at her poster every morning. She reads her ultimate references, such as "My body is the only body I will ever have" and "My body is the vehicle that lets me walk, talk, think, learn, breathe, love, and live life to the fullest." When she looks at her poster, she's reminded that her body allows her to do all the things she loves, such as going to the theater and visiting her family and friends.

Doing this every morning helps her not only to do her 8-minute Cruise Moves but also to follow her Cruise Down Plate. "I used to eat too much fast food and too many sweets. I didn't consume enough vitamins and minerals, and, as a result, suffered from high blood pressure and high cholesterol," she said. "But once I unconditionally accepted my body, I instantly started watching what I ate."

Remember that it is essential for you to realize that the first secret to real weight loss is to unconditionally accept and thus respect your body 100 percent, right now, no matter what your current size. If you don't fully respect your current body, I can assure you that you will never truly treat it as the most precious gift that has ever been given to you.

So my specific challenge to you right now is that you photocopy your Power Pledge Poster and put it in three places. Review it each morning and each night before bed for a minimum of 28 days!

By doing this, your health will consistently become your number one priority. You will effortlessly make the best decisions for your body, and you will discover the most important secret to finally shedding the pounds and keeping them off forever.
  •    

June 21, 2006, 2:11 pm CDT

100 smart tips

Got a diet dilemma? Ask a true diet pro: an RD, or registered dietitian. Her job is turning complex nutrition research into doable plans for real people.

Courtesy of the American Dietetic Association (ADA), we took our readers' eleven toughest diet problems and ran them by some of the top dietitians in the US: RDs who, in addition to their private careers, serve as media spokespersons or heads of specialty practice groups for the ADA.

Here's what they told us, in their own words. These tips are solid gold, learned from successful experience with thousands of clients. Some tips are new. Some you've heard before, but they're repeated because they work. This treasure trove of RD wisdom could change your life-starting today.

I Can Only Handle One Diet Change Right Now. What Should I Do?
    Add just one fruit or veggie serving daily. Get comfortable with that, then add an extra serving until you reach 8 to 10 a day.

2. Eat at least two servings of a fruit or veggie at every meal.

3. Resolve never to supersize your food portions--unless you want to supersize your clothes.

4. Make eating purposeful, not mindless. Whenever you put food in your mouth, peel it, unwrap it, plate it, and sit. Engage all of the senses in the pleasure of nourishing your body.

5. Start eating a big breakfast. It helps you eat fewer total calories throughout the day.

6. Make sure your plate is half veggies and/or fruit at both lunch and dinner.

Are there Any Easy Tricks to Help Me Cut Calories?
    Eating out? Halve it, and bag the rest. A typical restaurant entree has 1,000 to 2,000 calories, not even counting the bread, appetizer, beverage, and dessert.

8. When dining out, make it automatic: Order one dessert to share.

9. Use a salad plate instead of a dinner plate.

10. See what you eat. Plate your food instead of eating out of the jar or bag.

11. Eat the low-cal items on your plate first, then graduate. Start with salads, veggies, and broth soups, and eat meats and starches last. By the time you get to them, you'll be full enough to be content with smaller portions of the high-calorie choices.

12. Instead of whole milk, switch to 1 percent. If you drink one 8-oz glass a day, you'll lose 5 lb in a year.

13. Juice has as many calories, ounce for ounce, as soda. Set a limit of one 8-oz glass of fruit juice a day.

14. Get calories from foods you chew, not beverages. Have fresh fruit instead of fruit juice.

15. Keep a food journal. It really works wonders.

16. Follow the Chinese saying: "Eat until you are eight-tenths full."

17. Use mustard instead of mayo.

18. Eat more soup. The noncreamy ones are filling but low-cal.

19. Cut back on or cut out caloric drinks such as soda, sweet tea, lemonade, etc. People have lost weight by making just this one change. If you have a 20-oz bottle of Coca-Cola every day, switch to Diet Coke. You should lose 25 lb in a year.

20. Take your lunch to work.

21. Sit when you eat.

22. Dilute juice with water.

23. Have mostly veggies for lunch.

24. Eat at home.

25. Limit alcohol to weekends.

How Can I Eat More Veggies?
    Have a V8 or tomato juice instead of a Diet Coke at 3 pm.

27. Doctor your veggies to make them delicious: Dribble maple syrup over carrots, and sprinkle chopped nuts on green beans.

28. Mix three different cans of beans and some diet Italian dressing. Eat this three-bean salad all week.

29. Don't forget that vegetable soup counts as a vegetable.

30. Rediscover the sweet potato.

31. Use prebagged baby spinach everywhere: as "lettuce" in sandwiches, heated in soups, wilted in hot pasta, and added to salads.

32. Spend the extra few dollars to buy vegetables that are already washed and cut up.

33. Really hate veggies? Relax. If you love fruits, eat plenty of them; they are just as healthy (especially colorful ones such as oranges, mangoes, and melons).

34. Keep seven bags of your favorite frozen vegetables on hand. Mix any combination, microwave, and top with your favorite low-fat dressing. Enjoy 3 to 4 cups a day. Makes a great quick dinner.

Can You Give Me a Mantra that will Help Me Stick to My Diet?
    "The best portion of high-calorie foods is the smallest one. The best portion of vegetables is the largest one. Period."

36. "I'll ride the wave. My cravings will disappear after 10 minutes if I turn my attention elsewhere."

37. "I want to be around to see my grandchildren, so I can forgo a cookie now."

38. "I am a work in progress."

39. "It's more stressful to continue being fat than to stop overeating."

I Eat Healthy, but I'm Overweight. What Mistakes Could I Be Making without Realizing It?
    Skipping meals. Many healthy eaters "diet by day and binge by night."

41. Don't "graze" yourself fat. You can easily munch 600 calories of pretzels or cereal without realizing it.

42. Eating pasta like crazy. A serving of pasta is 1 cup, but some people routinely eat 4 cups.

43. Eating supersize bagels of 400 to 500 calories for snacks.

44. Ignoring "Serving Size" on the Nutrition Facts panel.

45. Snacking on bowls of nuts. Nuts are healthy but dense with calories. Put those bowls away, and use nuts as a garnish instead of a snack.

46. Thinking all energy bars and fruit smoothies are low-cal.

What Can I Eat for a Healthy Low-Cal Dinner if I Don't Want to Cook?
    A smoothie made with fat-free milk, frozen fruit, and wheat germ.

48. The smallest fast-food burger (with mustard and ketchup, not mayo) and a no-cal beverage. Then at home, have an apple or baby carrots.

49. A peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread with a glass of 1 percent milk and an apple.

50. Precooked chicken strips and microwaved frozen broccoli topped with Parmesan cheese.

51. A healthy frozen entree with a salad and a glass of 1 percent milk.

52. Scramble eggs in a nonstick skillet. Pop some asparagus in the microwave, and add whole wheat toast. If your cholesterol levels are normal, you can have seven eggs a week!

53. A bag of frozen vegetables heated in the microwave, topped with 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and 2 tablespoons of chopped nuts.

54. Prebagged salad topped with canned tuna, grape tomatoes, shredded reduced-fat cheese, and low-cal Italian dressing.

55. Keep lean sandwich fixings on hand: whole wheat bread, sliced turkey, reduced-fat cheese, tomatoes, mustard with horseradish.

56. Heat up a can of good soup.

57. Cereal, fruit, and fat-free milk makes a good meal anytime.

58. Try a veggie sandwich from Subway.

59. Precut fruit for a salad and add yogurt.

What's Your Best Advice for Avoiding those Extra Holiday Pounds?
    Don't tell yourself, "It's okay, it's the holidays." That opens the door to 6 weeks of splurging.

61. Remember, EAT before you meet. Have this small meal before you go to any parties: a hardboiled Egg, Apple, and a Thirst quencher (water, seltzer, diet soda, tea).

62. As obvious as it sounds, don't stand near the food at parties. Make the effort, and you'll find you eat less.

63. At a buffet? Eating a little of everything guarantees high calories. Decide on three or four things, only one of which is high in calories. Save that for last so there's less chance of overeating.

64. For the duration of the holidays, wear your snuggest clothes that don't allow much room for expansion. Wearing sweats is out until January.

65. Give it away! After company leaves, give away leftover food to neighbors, doormen, or delivery people, or take it to work the next day.

66. Walk around the mall three times before you start shopping.

67. Make exercise a nonnegotiable priority.

68. Dance to music with your family in your home. One dietitian reported that when she asks her patients to do this, initially they just smile, but once they've done it, they say it is one of the easiest ways to involve the whole family in exercise.

How Can I Control a Raging Sweet Tooth?
    Once in a while, have a lean, mean salad for lunch or dinner, and save the meal's calories for a full dessert.

70. Are you the kind of person who does better if you make up your mind to do without sweets and just not have them around? Or are you going to do better if you have a limited amount of sweets every day? One RD reported that most of her clients pick the latter and find they can avoid bingeing after a few days.

71. If your family thinks they need a very sweet treat every night, try to strike a balance between offering healthy choices but allowing them some "free will." Compromise with low-fat ice cream and fruit, or sometimes just fruit with a dollop of whipped cream.

72. Try 2 weeks without sweets. It's amazing how your cravings vanish.

73. Eat more fruit. A person who gets enough fruit in his diet doesn't have a raging sweet tooth.

74. Eat your sweets, just eat them smart! Carve out about 150 calories per day for your favorite sweet. That amounts to about an ounce of chocolate, half a modest slice of cake, or 1/2 cup of regular ice cream.

75. Try these smart little sweets: sugar-free hot cocoa, frozen red grapes, fudgsicles, sugar-free gum, Nutri-Grain chocolate fudge twists, Tootsie Rolls, and hard candy.

How Can I Conquer My Downfall: Bingeing at Night?
    Eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The large majority of people who struggle with night eating are those who skip meals or don't eat balanced meals during the day. This is a major setup for overeating at night.

77. Eat your evening meal in the kitchen or dining room, sitting down at the table.

78. Drink cold unsweetened raspberry tea. It tastes great and keeps your mouth busy.

79. Change your nighttime schedule. It will take effort, but it will pay off. You need something that will occupy your mind and hands.

80. If you're eating at night due to emotions, you need to focus on getting in touch with what's going on and taking care of yourself in a way that really works. Find a nonfood method of coping with your stress.

81. Put a sign on the kitchen and refrigerator doors: "Closed after Dinner."

82. Brush your teeth right after dinner to remind you: No more food.

83. Eat without engaging in any other simultaneous activity. No reading, watching TV, or sitting at the computer.

84. Eating late at night won't itself cause weight gain. It's how many calories--not when you eat them--that counts  

How Can I Reap Added Health Benefits from My Dieting?
    Fat-free isn't always your best bet. Research has found that none of the lycopene or alpha- or beta-carotene that fight cancer and heart disease is absorbed from salads with fat-free dressing. Only slightly more is absorbed with reduced-fat dressing; the most is absorbed with full-fat dressing. But remember, use your dressing in moderate amounts.

86. Skipping breakfast will leave you tired and craving naughty foods by midmorning. To fill up healthfully and tastefully, try this sweet, fruity breakfast full of antioxidants. In a blender, process 1 c nonfat plain or vanilla yogurt, 1 1/3 c frozen strawberries (no added sugar), 1 peeled kiwi, and 1 peeled banana. Pulse until mixture is milkshake consistency. Makes one 2-cup serving; 348 calories and 1.5 fat grams.

87. If you're famished by 4 p.m. and have no alternative but an office vending machine, reach for the nuts--. The same goes if your only choices are what's available in the hotel minibar.

88. Next time you're feeling wiped out in late afternoon, forgo that cup of coffee and reach for a cup of yogurt instead. The combination of protein, carbohydrate, and fat in an 8-ounce serving of low-fat yogurt will give you a sense of fullness and well-being that coffee can't match, as well as some vital nutrients. If you haven't eaten in 3 to 4 hours, your blood glucose levels are probably dropping, so eating a small amount of nutrient-rich food will give your brain and your body a boost.

89. Making just a few changes to your pantry shelves can get you a lot closer to your weight loss goals. Here's what to do: If you use corn and peanut oil, replace it with olive oil. Same goes for breads--go for whole wheat. Trade in those fatty cold cuts like salami and bologna and replace them canned tuna, sliced turkey breast, and lean roast beef. Change from drinking whole milk to fat-free milk or low-fat soy milk. This is hard for a lot of people so try transitioning down to 2 percent and then 1 percent before you go fat-free.

90. Nothing's less appetizing than a crisper drawer full of mushy vegetables. Frozen vegetables store much better, plus they may have greater nutritional value than fresh. Food suppliers typically freeze veggies just a few hours after harvest, locking in the nutrients. Fresh veggies, on the other hand, often spend days in the back of a truck before they reach your supermarket.

91. Worried about the trans-fat content in your peanut butter? Good news: In a test done on Skippy, JIF, Peter Pan, and a supermarket brand, the levels of trans fats per 2-tablespoon serving were far lower than 0.5 gram--low enough that under proposed laws, the brands can legally claim zero trans fats on the label. They also contained only 1 gram more sugar than natural brands--not a significant difference.

Eating Less Isn't Enough--What Exercising Tips Will Help Me Shed Pounds?
    Overeating is not the result of exercise. Vigorous exercise won't stimulate you to overeat. It's just the opposite. Exercise at any level helps curb your appetite immediately following the workout.

93. When you're exercising, you shouldn't wait for thirst to strike before you take a drink. By the time you feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated. Try this: Drink at least 16 ounces of water, sports drinks, or juices two hours before you exercise. Then drink 8 ounces an hour before and another 4 to 8 ounces every 15 to 20 minutes during your workout. Finish with at least 16 ounces after you're done exercising.

94. Tune in to an audio book while you walk. It'll keep you going longer and looking forward to the next walk--and the next chapter! Check your local library for a great selection. Look for a whodunit; you might walk so far you'll need to take a cab home!

95. Think yoga's too serene to burn calories? Think again. You can burn 250 to 350 calories during an hour-long class (that's as much as you'd burn from an hour of walking)! Plus, you'll improve muscle strength, flexibility, and endurance.

96. Drinking too few can hamper your weight loss efforts. That's because dehydration can slow your metabolism by 3 percent, or about 45 fewer calories burned a day, which in a year could mean weighing 5 pounds more. The key to water isn't how much you drink, it's how frequently you drink it. Small amounts sipped often work better than 8 ounces gulped down at once.

How Can I Manage My Emotional Eating and Get the Support I Need?
    A registered dietitian (RD) can help you find healthy ways to manage your weight with food. To find one in your area who consults with private clients call (800) 366-1655.

98. The best place to drop pounds may be your own house of worship. Researchers set up healthy eating and exercise programs in 16 Baltimore churches. More than 500 women participated and after a year the most successful lost an average of 20 lb. Weight loss programs based on faith are so successful because there's a built-in community component that people can feel comfortable with.

99. Here's another reason to keep level-headed all the time: Pennsylvania State University research has found that women less able to cope with stress--shown by blood pressure and heart rate elevations--ate twice as many fatty snacks as stress-resistant women did, even after the stress stopped (in this case, 25 minutes of periodic jackhammer-level noise and an unsolvable maze).

100. Sitting at a computer may help you slim down. When researchers at Brown University School of Medicine put 92 people on online weight loss programs for a year, those who received weekly e-mail counseling shed 5 1/2 more pounds than those who got none. Counselors provided weekly feedback on diet and exercise logs, answered questions, and cheered them on. Most major online diet programs offer many of these features.

June 22, 2006, 12:09 pm CDT

just a little joke

A husband was in BIG trouble when he forgot his wedding anniversary. "Tomorrow," his wife angrily told him, "there had better be something in our driveway that goes from zero to 200 in two seconds flat!" 

The next morning, the wife looked outside and saw a small package in the driveway.  She brought it inside, opened it ---- and found a brand new bathroom scale.

Funeral services for her husband have been set for Saturday.

tee hee

June 22, 2006, 1:53 pm CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

A husband was in BIG trouble when he forgot his wedding anniversary. "Tomorrow," his wife angrily told him, "there had better be something in our driveway that goes from zero to 200 in two seconds flat!" 

The next morning, the wife looked outside and saw a small package in the driveway.  She brought it inside, opened it ---- and found a brand new bathroom scale.

Funeral services for her husband have been set for Saturday.

tee hee

LOL! That's funny!! 

Loosey 

June 23, 2006, 6:04 pm CDT

from 24 Hour Fitness newsletter

feel full longer!

Is there really a way to feel full longer – so that you don’t find yourself hungry so often? According to Dave Kolbert, an editor for Mayo Clinic’s health publications, the answer is yes. “Eating foods that are less energy-dense can help you feel satisfied with fewer calories,” he says. 

energy density defined 

Foods that have high energy density contain a large amount of calories in small portions. These include desserts, candies, processed foods and nuts. For example, one serving of peanut butter (two tablespoons) is 190 calories, which doesn’t seem like much food – and may leave you feeling hungry.  

In order to feel full longer, eat foods that are less energy dense such as vegetables and fruit, so you can eat larger portion sizes with fewer calories. What makes foods less energy dense? First, they contain plenty of water. Second, they are high in fiber. Vegetables, fruits and whole grains provide volume and take longer to digest so you feel full longer. 

better food choices

“In general there are no ‘bad foods.’ You should eat a variety of foods,” says Kolbert. “But you can eat more of the less energy-dense foods without too many calories.” Choosing these foods means that you can eat more (within reason): 

• Vegetables such as green beans, broccoli, zucchini, carrots and salad greens.
    • Fruits such as cantaloupe, watermelon, grapefruit and peaches.
    • Whole grain foods such as 100 percent whole-grain bread, oatmeal, brown rice and whole-grain cereal.
    • Proteins such as skinned, white-meat poultry, fish – and legumes such as beans, peas and lentils.
    • Dairy products such as skim milk, fat-free cheese or egg whites.

It might take awhile to incorporate these foods into your diet. “It helps to prepare before you go grocery shopping,” says Kolbert. “Plan your meals and the ingredients that you’ll need to prepare them.” Well-planned shopping trips ensure that there are low energy-dense foods on hand. 

water – can it fill you up?

Can a big glass of water fill you up and stave off hunger? Not really. A study by Barbara Roll, PhD and her colleagues at Penn State University found that drinking water did not affect calorie consumption; water quenches the thirst, but does little to satisfy hunger.  

However, foods with high water content slow down absorption – so they help you feel full. Try making a broth-based soup such as 24 Hour Fitness’ Vegetable Rice Soup or Japanese Noodle Soup. 

Eating sensible, low-energy dense foods may help control your appetite. “You can’t live with hunger and fad diets over the long term. Shift your behavior and shift the way that you think about food,” says Kolbert.  

Energy density and weight loss: Feel full on fewer calories by Mayo Clinic Staff 

June 23, 2006, 6:06 pm CDT

from Biggest Loser email

Forgotten why you exercise? Here's your 7-step reminder primer!

Finding the time and energy to get active can be hard, especially if you've been inactive for a long time. Often, though, the hardest time to be active is a few months into your workout plan, when you think you've got the lazy bug licked? About then, you might start thinking "Oh, I can just take this week off." 

Soon enough, this week turns into next week and the week after, and so on. 

So every time you're about to give up on exercise, read this 7-step list to yourself? Or better yet, tape it up somewhere (like the bathroom mirror) where you're most likely to read it everyday. 

1) People who exercise live longer, on average, than people who don't. Active people have a lower risk of dying from heart disease and stroke, and they're less likely to get high blood pressure. 

2) Exercise can help with health problems like type 2 diabetes (exercise can lower your blood sugar levels) and arthritis (exercise helps reduce joint swelling and pain and improves mobility). 

3) Exercise makes you "functionally fit," meaning that it's easier for you to carry groceries, do chores, even go to the mall and shop for new (smaller) clothes! 

4) Active people are less depressed, and depressed people often feel better after they start exercising. 

5) Exercise can save you money. If you can prevent serious (and costly) medical conditions such as heart disease, cancer, and osteoporosis, you will have more money for your other needs. 

6) Exercise is fun! Many of the activities you did for play as a child count as exercise. Dancing fast, walking your dog, bicycling, and gardening all strengthen your heart and lungs. 

7) SO GO GET FIT!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last