Message Boards

Topic : MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

Number of Replies: 2265
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, April 30, 2006, 05:01:28 pm
Author : inchesbgon
  • Congratulations for crossing the finish line in one of the most difficult journeys that you will face in your life! And now that you've crossed over from the 'darkside' you may be thinking, "What do I need to do to maintain my weight?"  You may feel like an awkward, lost puppy.  For so long now, whenever things got rough you summoned up your Willpower.  And your scales benefited from doing such.  But what now?  How much can you eat without gaining even an ounce of that unwanted weight back?
  •  When you get to your healthy target weight, what’s the best way to maintain it? It can be tough, well, here is the place for support.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 24, 2006, 8:43 am CDT

exceeded my goal

I lost 1 pound this week, my last weigh-in before my trip.  136.  Do you think that since I'm still dropping 1-2 pounds/week that I have a little ways to go?  It seems like the last few usually take a while longer to come off.  I know I definitely need more muscle!  Anyway, I leave for Florida on Monday.  I can't wait to see my brother--he'll be so surprised and happy for me.  I think we're taking our laptop, so I may be able to check in a time or two while we're gone. 

Diane 

June 24, 2006, 1:23 pm CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

Quote From: imlosingw8

Forgotten why you exercise? Here's your 7-step reminder primer!

Finding the time and energy to get active can be hard, especially if you've been inactive for a long time. Often, though, the hardest time to be active is a few months into your workout plan, when you think you've got the lazy bug licked? About then, you might start thinking "Oh, I can just take this week off." 

Soon enough, this week turns into next week and the week after, and so on. 

So every time you're about to give up on exercise, read this 7-step list to yourself? Or better yet, tape it up somewhere (like the bathroom mirror) where you're most likely to read it everyday. 

1) People who exercise live longer, on average, than people who don't. Active people have a lower risk of dying from heart disease and stroke, and they're less likely to get high blood pressure. 

2) Exercise can help with health problems like type 2 diabetes (exercise can lower your blood sugar levels) and arthritis (exercise helps reduce joint swelling and pain and improves mobility). 

3) Exercise makes you "functionally fit," meaning that it's easier for you to carry groceries, do chores, even go to the mall and shop for new (smaller) clothes! 

4) Active people are less depressed, and depressed people often feel better after they start exercising. 

5) Exercise can save you money. If you can prevent serious (and costly) medical conditions such as heart disease, cancer, and osteoporosis, you will have more money for your other needs. 

6) Exercise is fun! Many of the activities you did for play as a child count as exercise. Dancing fast, walking your dog, bicycling, and gardening all strengthen your heart and lungs. 

7) SO GO GET FIT!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! 

Thanks for that post, that is so true, not only do you need to exercise to maintain your weight, but also to stay healthy.  

And I havn't been doing any exercise lately, been so busy working, then I get sooo tired. Haven't been preparing my meals either. so i better smart nup or I'll start gaining weight!! I'm suppose to be losing not gaining right, maybe I'm too chicken to lose more! lol  

Anyway, I will get back with the program, I have no fresh fruit and no fresh veggies, I do have the frozen stuff though, so I have to cook! Which takes time! But not today, the kids have baseball all day. I've been eating sunflower seeds all day. so salty too!   

Then we have a birthday party to go to. then back to baseball. I really wish I can stay home and clean, but I guess that can wait till tomorrow.  

I hope your weekend is better than mine  

Congrats on the pound lost!  

Just keep doing what your doing. You just might be retaining more water than usual. And it won't always be the same weight, maybe next week you'll be down 3 lbs, who knows. Did you add more calories to your diet? You said you do your walking DVD, Try alternating with biking, swimming or running. sometimes just a little change will trick your body, and you'll lose more.  

Have a nice weekend.  

Loosey  

June 24, 2006, 1:53 pm CDT

losing weight

Quote From: inchesbgon

Thanks for that post, that is so true, not only do you need to exercise to maintain your weight, but also to stay healthy.  

And I havn't been doing any exercise lately, been so busy working, then I get sooo tired. Haven't been preparing my meals either. so i better smart nup or I'll start gaining weight!! I'm suppose to be losing not gaining right, maybe I'm too chicken to lose more! lol  

Anyway, I will get back with the program, I have no fresh fruit and no fresh veggies, I do have the frozen stuff though, so I have to cook! Which takes time! But not today, the kids have baseball all day. I've been eating sunflower seeds all day. so salty too!   

Then we have a birthday party to go to. then back to baseball. I really wish I can stay home and clean, but I guess that can wait till tomorrow.  

I hope your weekend is better than mine  

Congrats on the pound lost!  

Just keep doing what your doing. You just might be retaining more water than usual. And it won't always be the same weight, maybe next week you'll be down 3 lbs, who knows. Did you add more calories to your diet? You said you do your walking DVD, Try alternating with biking, swimming or running. sometimes just a little change will trick your body, and you'll lose more.  

Have a nice weekend.  

Loosey  

Actually, I was saying that I'm surprised that I've continued to lose 1-2 pounds/wk as I've gotten closer to my goal.  I thought I would have had more of a struggle.  Not that I'm complaining! lol  So I was wondering if I still have a ways to go since my body hasn't slowed the weight loss down yet.  I did eat more calories last week--about 50-100/day I think.  I exercised every day, but only my 1/2 hr workout--kids had me driving all over town.  I think I'll still aim for 131, 5 more pounds, and see how I feel.  I pretty much feel like I'm there, other than needing some major toning! 

I know how hard it can be to get exercise in!  I woke up earlier all last week to fit it in.  If I don't do it in the morning, I don't do it at all. 

I got the Biggest Loser DVD online from Target--$11 total including shipping.  I did 2 workouts from that this week to shake up my routine a bit.  They're good workouts--got me huffing and puffing, that's for sure! 

Hope tomorrow's not so busy for you! 

Diane 

June 25, 2006, 4:21 pm CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

Quote From: imlosingw8

Actually, I was saying that I'm surprised that I've continued to lose 1-2 pounds/wk as I've gotten closer to my goal.  I thought I would have had more of a struggle.  Not that I'm complaining! lol  So I was wondering if I still have a ways to go since my body hasn't slowed the weight loss down yet.  I did eat more calories last week--about 50-100/day I think.  I exercised every day, but only my 1/2 hr workout--kids had me driving all over town.  I think I'll still aim for 131, 5 more pounds, and see how I feel.  I pretty much feel like I'm there, other than needing some major toning! 

I know how hard it can be to get exercise in!  I woke up earlier all last week to fit it in.  If I don't do it in the morning, I don't do it at all. 

I got the Biggest Loser DVD online from Target--$11 total including shipping.  I did 2 workouts from that this week to shake up my routine a bit.  They're good workouts--got me huffing and puffing, that's for sure! 

Hope tomorrow's not so busy for you! 

Diane 

WOW! What a busy weekend!  

The kids had a baseball tourney yesterday and today and they won the Gold! I'm so proud of them, this is their first year ever playing.  

Your still losing the weight easily because your sticking with the program and your doing pretty good at it I might say!! You've "got it" without any excuses. (Now if I can just be the same way! lol) I think 131 lbs would be good for you, I have a friend that's 5'6" and she's 135 lbs and I say she looks really good! So you probably look really good too, I don't think I would go much lower if I were you, you might start to look gaunt!! lol as someone once told me! lol  

Anyway, my eating and exercise have gone down the tubes!! And I am really tired right now! but since I can't sleep with all the kids around, we are going out to my cousins to watch the Pink Panther. Life is just so busy.   

Starting tomorrow, I'm going to have to get back to my exercise, how am I suppose to get to 140 if I don't eat right or exercise! lol So I'm going to pull my treadmill out. I use to get up earlier to exercise, so I'll have to start doing that again. I just need to get to 140 and then I can maintain again. I got this far, what's another 10 lbs eh! Ohhhhhh shoot, I have my sons b-days this week, one is turning 9 tomorrow and the other is turning 11 on Friday, ohhh I hate this, I'm having a b-day party for the both of them this week. Then were going to Wpg on Friday. I am going to try really hard to be in control, I know I can do it, if I want it badly enough. I'll make sure I have a salad and maybe a veggie burger, since were having a BBQ, and I'll have a small piece of cake and some lf ls ice cream. I can do it!! Right? lol  

See ya later  

Loosey  

June 25, 2006, 9:12 pm CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

Hey! 

I'm going to start weighing in on Saturdays right along with you! I think when I first started this program I was weighing in on Saturdays.  

I'm going to the YMCA in the morning, so I better get to bed, I'm already to go too! hehe 

Goodnight 

Loosey 

June 25, 2006, 10:33 pm CDT

you can do it!

Hey! 

I'm going to start weighing in on Saturdays right along with you! I think when I first started this program I was weighing in on Saturdays.  

I'm going to the YMCA in the morning, so I better get to bed, I'm already to go too! hehe 

Goodnight 

Loosey 

How fun--we will be weigh-in buddies!  Remember, I won't be near a scale next Saturday.  If there's one in the fitness room at the hotel, I'll weigh, but I doubt it.  You'll feel good once you get back into exercising.  It's hard to get back into the routine, I know.  It'll help you drop those pounds you want to lose, too. 

You said just what my husband said last night...I keep losing, because I'm sticking with the program.  I realized and admitted that I am really afraid to increase my calories.  I'm so afraid to blow it like I did 2 years ago. 

You have a busy week coming up with celebrations, just like I do.  I'll think of you when I'm making choices!  Just because we're celebrating doesn't mean we have to go way off plan.  My mom is traveling with us, and we plan on sharing some meals when we eat out. 

We'll have our computer, so I'll check in while we're on vacation. 

Good luck this week, Loosey! 

Diane 

June 26, 2006, 6:35 am CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

WHEW!! I jumped on the scale and was up tp 153 lbs!! Scared the socks off me! maybe I should have took the socks off!! hehehe jk. Maybe I should have waited till Saturday, but I needed to see what kind of damage I done, a reality check it was! So my next weigh in will be Saturday 

Anyway....I only have myself to blame, eating went down the tubes all week, and no exercise was done. I guess I was just in that "oh well, I don't care" kind of mood! But no more, the mood is gone, after seeing the scale, it's a little scary, don't want to go up, want to go down. 

I am going to have a good week. I'm going back to phase 2 for a while, no more junk, need more water and need more exercise. I'm going to post that on my fridge. I want to be healthy for life!! 

I know your scared to gain, just remember to increase your calories slowly and you'll be fine.  

Have a nice day! 

Loosey 

June 26, 2006, 10:13 pm CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

Hello! 

Long night at work, just glad to be home. 

I had a good day! I went to the gym this morning, I went on the elliptical, it said I burned 517 calories, but I think it was lying to me!! I was only on it for 35 minutes.  

I had a pretty good day of eating and only had 2 cookies.  

I also had plenty of water, something I have been forgetting about lately. 

Goodnight 

Loosey 

June 30, 2006, 5:48 am CDT

Back on track

Hello! 

Long night at work, just glad to be home. 

I had a good day! I went to the gym this morning, I went on the elliptical, it said I burned 517 calories, but I think it was lying to me!! I was only on it for 35 minutes.  

I had a pretty good day of eating and only had 2 cookies.  

I also had plenty of water, something I have been forgetting about lately. 

Goodnight 

Loosey 

Hi Loosey, 

This is the first chance I got to get online.  That was a great day--exercise, water, and only 2 cookies!  How has the rest of your week been?  We spent the last 3 days at Disney World.  I didn't eat perfectly, but I think I have made good choices.  And not only did I walk a lot, but 2 of the days I pushed my mom in a wheelchair around the park.  And, much of the time my ds was on her lap!  The backs of my legs are pretty sore! 

Today we head over to Sarasota where the wedding will be.  I'll try to continue to make good choices.  Tricky sometimes. 

I brought my 30min walking dvd.  Not sure if I'll get a chance to do it today or not.  I hope so. 

Weigh again on Saturday.  Weight fluctuates so much throughout the week.  Phase 2 is a good idea if you want to knock off a few pounds.  You'll do just fine! 

Diane 

July 1, 2006, 6:38 am CDT

weekly weigh-in

I can't believe there's a scale in our room at the hotel!  I weighed in at 142 this morning, up 6!  However, I know I have not consumed enough calories to gain 6 pounds in a week.  I live in a desert climate, and it is very humid here in Florida.  I'm guessing between the weather and the fact that I'm not drinking enough water, that I'm carrying around some water weight.  Hopefully I'll be back to normal by next Saturday.  Last night at the rehearsal dinner I ate the largest meal I've had since January, as well as a whole piece of chocolate cake!  I'm still full!  That could be reflecting on the scale, too. 

Anyway, I'm not panicking about the scale.  I know I have made good choices on this trip, and one large meal is not going to ruin everything.  I'm hoping to get a workout in this afternoon before the wedding, then we're heading home tomorrow.  Why do vacations go so fast??? 

Diane 

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last