Message Boards

Topic : MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

Number of Replies: 2265
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, April 30, 2006, 05:01:28 pm
Author : inchesbgon
  • Congratulations for crossing the finish line in one of the most difficult journeys that you will face in your life! And now that you've crossed over from the 'darkside' you may be thinking, "What do I need to do to maintain my weight?"  You may feel like an awkward, lost puppy.  For so long now, whenever things got rough you summoned up your Willpower.  And your scales benefited from doing such.  But what now?  How much can you eat without gaining even an ounce of that unwanted weight back?
  •  When you get to your healthy target weight, what’s the best way to maintain it? It can be tough, well, here is the place for support.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 4, 2006, 9:19 am CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

Quote From: imlosingw8

I can't believe there's a scale in our room at the hotel!  I weighed in at 142 this morning, up 6!  However, I know I have not consumed enough calories to gain 6 pounds in a week.  I live in a desert climate, and it is very humid here in Florida.  I'm guessing between the weather and the fact that I'm not drinking enough water, that I'm carrying around some water weight.  Hopefully I'll be back to normal by next Saturday.  Last night at the rehearsal dinner I ate the largest meal I've had since January, as well as a whole piece of chocolate cake!  I'm still full!  That could be reflecting on the scale, too. 

Anyway, I'm not panicking about the scale.  I know I have made good choices on this trip, and one large meal is not going to ruin everything.  I'm hoping to get a workout in this afternoon before the wedding, then we're heading home tomorrow.  Why do vacations go so fast??? 

Diane 

Hello.   

A little hint: Only weigh yourself on your own scale, cause other scales are different. When I went to the doctor, it said I was 6 lbs over! When I went to my aunts scale it said I was 3 lbs under. So I make sure I weigh myself on my own scale. So it's must be the hotels scale, it's different! lol  

I weighed in at 148 on Friday, that's 5 lbs down from Monday. Then I'll weigh in this Saturday again.  

Then I had a horrible weekend, so horrible, I won't go into details, but horrible enough to make me lose all control of food! I was in the I don't care mood all weekend I tell ya. BUT...I am back on track as of today. Not going to let that bug me or bring me down.  

I've been making smoothies alot lately. And today I went out and bought some Sensational Soy orange, banana, strawberry smoothie.(I mixed it with some strawberries and ice) so delicious. And also bought some fat free soy milk. I bought them cause I don't want to be using to much milk. And this just seems like a better alternative.   

Are you still in Florida? Hope your having a mighty good time!!!  

Loosey  

July 4, 2006, 10:34 pm CDT

back home

Quote From: inchesbgon

Hello.   

A little hint: Only weigh yourself on your own scale, cause other scales are different. When I went to the doctor, it said I was 6 lbs over! When I went to my aunts scale it said I was 3 lbs under. So I make sure I weigh myself on my own scale. So it's must be the hotels scale, it's different! lol  

I weighed in at 148 on Friday, that's 5 lbs down from Monday. Then I'll weigh in this Saturday again.  

Then I had a horrible weekend, so horrible, I won't go into details, but horrible enough to make me lose all control of food! I was in the I don't care mood all weekend I tell ya. BUT...I am back on track as of today. Not going to let that bug me or bring me down.  

I've been making smoothies alot lately. And today I went out and bought some Sensational Soy orange, banana, strawberry smoothie.(I mixed it with some strawberries and ice) so delicious. And also bought some fat free soy milk. I bought them cause I don't want to be using to much milk. And this just seems like a better alternative.   

Are you still in Florida? Hope your having a mighty good time!!!  

Loosey  

I'm glad to see you again, Loosey!  I thought I'd lost you! lol  You can say that again about weighing on your own scale.  Once my dd (10) said she had gained 5 pounds based on the hotel scale, I knew we were dealing with a little scale issue.  We got home Sunday night.  I weighed myself yesterday morning and was actually down .5.  We'll see what Saturday brings.  I did a little munching with the 4th of July holiday today.  Not too bad, though. 

I'm so sorry to hear you had such a horrible weekend!  If you ever need someone to "talk" to, you can email me at dberkovatz@yahoo.com.  I can totally relate to the "I don't care" mood.  That's how I gained all that weight back 2 years ago.  So how did you kick yourself back on track?  Good for you!  Sometimes the only thing we actually do have control over is taking care of ourselves. 

I haven't tried making smoothies.  Sounds like something the kids would enjoy, too. 

Take care, 

Diane 

July 5, 2006, 11:52 am CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

I'm glad to see you again, Loosey!  I thought I'd lost you! lol  You can say that again about weighing on your own scale.  Once my dd (10) said she had gained 5 pounds based on the hotel scale, I knew we were dealing with a little scale issue.  We got home Sunday night.  I weighed myself yesterday morning and was actually down .5.  We'll see what Saturday brings.  I did a little munching with the 4th of July holiday today.  Not too bad, though. 

I'm so sorry to hear you had such a horrible weekend!  If you ever need someone to "talk" to, you can email me at dberkovatz@yahoo.com.  I can totally relate to the "I don't care" mood.  That's how I gained all that weight back 2 years ago.  So how did you kick yourself back on track?  Good for you!  Sometimes the only thing we actually do have control over is taking care of ourselves. 

I haven't tried making smoothies.  Sounds like something the kids would enjoy, too. 

Take care, 

Diane 

Glad to see you too! And glad you had a good time during your holiday, maybe too much of a good time? with food? LOL Hey, it's not like you go on vacation every weekend right? Nothing wrong with having a good time. And you have a few more days to work it off!!   

On Friday, I went to wpg with healthy food, I planned a healthy weekend. Until something happened, and then I got in the "I don't care mood" Came back home after over 2 hrs of driving, then had to go to another town. Just alot of driving all weekend, and staying at other peoples places. I know if I was at home, it would have been easier to eat healthy, but the places I went to, there was no eating healthy! So when I got home it was much easier to get back on track. How did I do it? I just don't want to be back where I was before. It's still a learning process, lifestyle change right, so it doesn't just change over night, it will take time, but I know one day I will get use to eating healthy.  

I made a smoothie this morning and added bran buds to it, so that was my breakfast, then I got invited over to a freinds to help her pick some strawberries, got to take 4 pails home, so I'll be making some jam tomorrow!! Anyway, I was starving and shaking when I got home. I didn't think I was going to be there that long, and didn't want to take the time to stop picking and wash some berries to eat. So got home at 1. had a chicken ceasar salad that was already made, and I was still hungry! So I had a salmon sandwich on whole grain bread and 1/2 cup of beans! Now I feel better. The thing is, I could of just went to the store and got something fast and junky, but found some healthy stuff at home, and I feel much better for that!!  

I've got to work tonight, so I might be back later.  

Have a good day  

Loosey  

July 5, 2006, 1:10 pm CDT

think I did well

Glad to see you too! And glad you had a good time during your holiday, maybe too much of a good time? with food? LOL Hey, it's not like you go on vacation every weekend right? Nothing wrong with having a good time. And you have a few more days to work it off!!   

On Friday, I went to wpg with healthy food, I planned a healthy weekend. Until something happened, and then I got in the "I don't care mood" Came back home after over 2 hrs of driving, then had to go to another town. Just alot of driving all weekend, and staying at other peoples places. I know if I was at home, it would have been easier to eat healthy, but the places I went to, there was no eating healthy! So when I got home it was much easier to get back on track. How did I do it? I just don't want to be back where I was before. It's still a learning process, lifestyle change right, so it doesn't just change over night, it will take time, but I know one day I will get use to eating healthy.  

I made a smoothie this morning and added bran buds to it, so that was my breakfast, then I got invited over to a freinds to help her pick some strawberries, got to take 4 pails home, so I'll be making some jam tomorrow!! Anyway, I was starving and shaking when I got home. I didn't think I was going to be there that long, and didn't want to take the time to stop picking and wash some berries to eat. So got home at 1. had a chicken ceasar salad that was already made, and I was still hungry! So I had a salmon sandwich on whole grain bread and 1/2 cup of beans! Now I feel better. The thing is, I could of just went to the store and got something fast and junky, but found some healthy stuff at home, and I feel much better for that!!  

I've got to work tonight, so I might be back later.  

Have a good day  

Loosey  

I think I actually did real well on my vacation, eating wise.  Disney World actually had wraps and salads.  When we ate out, I got grilled chicken or salad.  I did "crazy" things like let them put the dressing on the wrap or salad, instead of getting it on the side.  lol  But, I got a lot of walking in.  I think I'll actually be down from 2 weeks ago when I weigh in on Saturday. 

You say that one day you'll get use to eating healthy, but I think you already have!  There's not a lot you can do when you're somewhere where they don't have good choices for you.  But, as soon as you got home, you went back to your great choices.  That's a huge accomplishment!  You're right, you could have gone out and grabbed fast food, but you had what you needed at home.  I actually choose eating at home rather than out most of the time, because I know I can make good choices at home.  And I have a few things that I really enjoy eating that are actually healthy.  Kind of odd, huh?  lol 

Good job getting back on track!  I hope things are settling down for you. 

Diane 

July 5, 2006, 8:54 pm CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

I think I actually did real well on my vacation, eating wise.  Disney World actually had wraps and salads.  When we ate out, I got grilled chicken or salad.  I did "crazy" things like let them put the dressing on the wrap or salad, instead of getting it on the side.  lol  But, I got a lot of walking in.  I think I'll actually be down from 2 weeks ago when I weigh in on Saturday. 

You say that one day you'll get use to eating healthy, but I think you already have!  There's not a lot you can do when you're somewhere where they don't have good choices for you.  But, as soon as you got home, you went back to your great choices.  That's a huge accomplishment!  You're right, you could have gone out and grabbed fast food, but you had what you needed at home.  I actually choose eating at home rather than out most of the time, because I know I can make good choices at home.  And I have a few things that I really enjoy eating that are actually healthy.  Kind of odd, huh?  lol 

Good job getting back on track!  I hope things are settling down for you. 

Diane 

lol! Crazy things! I'm sure you'll be fine.  

Your right, I have gotten use to eating healthy, I just tend to go on the unhealthy side once in awhile! lol Compared to what I use to eat and how much I use to eat, this is all good! I really enjoy eating healthy, and I don't know why I don't remind myself of that sometimes. When I have the craving, I should just tell myself to have more of something healthy. Instead of one serving of some fattening junk. Like instead of having cake somewhere, I could choose to have pb&j. something I really like.   

At work tonight, there was some cake, I didn't eat any, I told myself how sick it would make me feel, and remembered the sick feeling I had over the weekend, and how tired and moody I felt afterwards, so it wasn't hard to refuse, just have to remind myself once in awhile.  

I made some iced tea today, it was so good and refreshing. Kept me cool and full all day! I just used tea, lemon and splenda.  

I have to make jam in the morning, and I would also like to make it to the gym if I can. or even a walk. Hard to do with little ones. They walk slow! lol  

Have a goodnight  

Loosey  

July 6, 2006, 8:17 am CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

lol! Crazy things! I'm sure you'll be fine.  

Your right, I have gotten use to eating healthy, I just tend to go on the unhealthy side once in awhile! lol Compared to what I use to eat and how much I use to eat, this is all good! I really enjoy eating healthy, and I don't know why I don't remind myself of that sometimes. When I have the craving, I should just tell myself to have more of something healthy. Instead of one serving of some fattening junk. Like instead of having cake somewhere, I could choose to have pb&j. something I really like.   

At work tonight, there was some cake, I didn't eat any, I told myself how sick it would make me feel, and remembered the sick feeling I had over the weekend, and how tired and moody I felt afterwards, so it wasn't hard to refuse, just have to remind myself once in awhile.  

I made some iced tea today, it was so good and refreshing. Kept me cool and full all day! I just used tea, lemon and splenda.  

I have to make jam in the morning, and I would also like to make it to the gym if I can. or even a walk. Hard to do with little ones. They walk slow! lol  

Have a goodnight  

Loosey  

Wow!  Good job passing on the cake!  As I said, I ate a whole piece Friday night.  Between that and the dinner they served at the rehearsal dinner, I felt very sluggish in the morning.  In reality, I would have been perfectly fine with a bite or two of cake.  At the wedding on Saturday, I ate 1/2 a piece.  I probably would have finished the whole thing if it was chocolate. lol  I had told myself ahead of time that it was okay to have cake since I don't generally have sweets.  It would be harder to pass it up at work when it's around for so long!  Good job! 

Homemade jam sounds wonderful!!!  Too bad I don't live close to you! lol 

My oldest dd and I are going to try to get to the gym for a strength training class this morning.  Last time we went, the childcare place didn't have 2 spots open for my other two, so we had to wait until some kids got picked up.  Very frustrating. 

I know what you mean about walking with little ones.  How old is your youngest again?  Mine is 5, so now I can put him on a scooter if I want to walk.  I even still put him in the jogging stroller sometimes. 

Have a good day, Loosey. 

Diane 

July 6, 2006, 1:03 pm CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

Oh, I forgot to tell you...I have to weigh in tomorrow instead of Saturday.  We're either going camping this weekend or to San Francisco to see family.  I cheated and peeked this morning.  Down 2 from 2 weeks ago.  We all know that changes from day to day, though. 

I went to the gym for the strength training class this morning.  My dd didn't want to go (neither did I!).  When I got home, the kids and dog all wanted to go for a walk, so we walked for about 20 minutes or so (big hills by my house).  My girls said I won't be able to walk tomorrow.  They have no idea how true that is! lol 

Looking forward to my salad for lunch today and I have chicken in the crockpot for dinner.  Yum! 

Diane 

July 6, 2006, 3:57 pm CDT

I had a very busy day!

Wow!  Good job passing on the cake!  As I said, I ate a whole piece Friday night.  Between that and the dinner they served at the rehearsal dinner, I felt very sluggish in the morning.  In reality, I would have been perfectly fine with a bite or two of cake.  At the wedding on Saturday, I ate 1/2 a piece.  I probably would have finished the whole thing if it was chocolate. lol  I had told myself ahead of time that it was okay to have cake since I don't generally have sweets.  It would be harder to pass it up at work when it's around for so long!  Good job! 

Homemade jam sounds wonderful!!!  Too bad I don't live close to you! lol 

My oldest dd and I are going to try to get to the gym for a strength training class this morning.  Last time we went, the childcare place didn't have 2 spots open for my other two, so we had to wait until some kids got picked up.  Very frustrating. 

I know what you mean about walking with little ones.  How old is your youngest again?  Mine is 5, so now I can put him on a scooter if I want to walk.  I even still put him in the jogging stroller sometimes. 

Have a good day, Loosey. 

Diane 

I finally have time to sit and relax!! For a few minutes anyway!! lol  

The good thing is.,... your not into sweets, so it's easier for you to stay in control in that area. Wish I can be like that. I will be, I'm working on it. I bought some cappacino frozen yogurt today, thought I could use that for when I have a craving, I had some today and found it to be a bit too sweet! Can you believe that! lol so I just had the serving and put it away. I also bought some fresh beans, ohhh I love fresh beans, I sprayed them with the becel spray and a dash of salt, that's another thing, I don't eliminate salt from my diet, but I do know that I cut it down drastically! Don't use it like I use to.  

I was in the kitchen up until now....making that jam! Man...that's alot of work. I was making jam for 6 hrs!! lol So I made some diabetic jam (made with splenda) some light jam, some light freezer jam, and some regular jam. All with strawberries of course. And I still had a big bowl full, enough to make 2 more batches, but I give up!! the kids could eat them. I froze some in bags, and I pureed some and put them in ice cubes!! I'm going to be dreaming about strawberries tonight! lol  

I had more beans for supper! yum yum! with a lf spinach/ricotta stuffed chicken breast. And some of my healthy (I think fat free) cream of tomato soup. Now I'm stuffed!   

Oh that would just drive me up the wall, if I got all ready to go to the gym and there was no spaces available. Could you phone ahead of time and see if it's full?  

My youngest are 4 and 5. I do have a wagon, I can't make any excuses, but they are so heavy in there with the 2 of them!! lol Ok ok, more muscle. I will walk with them tomorrow. My other 3 are visiting with there grandma, it doesn't really make a difference when there gone, it's the youngest ones that are a handful, the noisiest and the messiest! lol Love em anyway.  

P.S I'll mail you some jam!! LOL  

Loosey  

July 6, 2006, 4:03 pm CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

Oh, I forgot to tell you...I have to weigh in tomorrow instead of Saturday.  We're either going camping this weekend or to San Francisco to see family.  I cheated and peeked this morning.  Down 2 from 2 weeks ago.  We all know that changes from day to day, though. 

I went to the gym for the strength training class this morning.  My dd didn't want to go (neither did I!).  When I got home, the kids and dog all wanted to go for a walk, so we walked for about 20 minutes or so (big hills by my house).  My girls said I won't be able to walk tomorrow.  They have no idea how true that is! lol 

Looking forward to my salad for lunch today and I have chicken in the crockpot for dinner.  Yum! 

Diane 

San Francisco!! cool! Will you go over that big bridge? I forgot what it's called.   

2 lbs eh! Well, I'd say good, but have to wait till tomorrow for the actual!! hehehe It does change from day to day. nothing wrong with peaking every once in awhile! lol kinda keeps ya in line.  

How long was Strength training? I keep saying I want to go to the ymca to the bootcamp or something, but they have it at such an odd time, then I have no sitter. Someday I guess. If you did your stretching, you shouldn't be too sore! lol  

Crockpot chicken sounds good, do you just leave it in there plain, or do you add something to it? I never know what to put in it, especially with fussy kids!   

Loosey  

July 6, 2006, 5:49 pm CDT

MAINTAINING YOUR WEIGHT

I finally have time to sit and relax!! For a few minutes anyway!! lol  

The good thing is.,... your not into sweets, so it's easier for you to stay in control in that area. Wish I can be like that. I will be, I'm working on it. I bought some cappacino frozen yogurt today, thought I could use that for when I have a craving, I had some today and found it to be a bit too sweet! Can you believe that! lol so I just had the serving and put it away. I also bought some fresh beans, ohhh I love fresh beans, I sprayed them with the becel spray and a dash of salt, that's another thing, I don't eliminate salt from my diet, but I do know that I cut it down drastically! Don't use it like I use to.  

I was in the kitchen up until now....making that jam! Man...that's alot of work. I was making jam for 6 hrs!! lol So I made some diabetic jam (made with splenda) some light jam, some light freezer jam, and some regular jam. All with strawberries of course. And I still had a big bowl full, enough to make 2 more batches, but I give up!! the kids could eat them. I froze some in bags, and I pureed some and put them in ice cubes!! I'm going to be dreaming about strawberries tonight! lol  

I had more beans for supper! yum yum! with a lf spinach/ricotta stuffed chicken breast. And some of my healthy (I think fat free) cream of tomato soup. Now I'm stuffed!   

Oh that would just drive me up the wall, if I got all ready to go to the gym and there was no spaces available. Could you phone ahead of time and see if it's full?  

My youngest are 4 and 5. I do have a wagon, I can't make any excuses, but they are so heavy in there with the 2 of them!! lol Ok ok, more muscle. I will walk with them tomorrow. My other 3 are visiting with there grandma, it doesn't really make a difference when there gone, it's the youngest ones that are a handful, the noisiest and the messiest! lol Love em anyway.  

P.S I'll mail you some jam!! LOL  

Loosey  

Okay, so I never actually said I'm not into sweets, I just don't usually eat them.  That's because it tends to be all or nothing with me.  If I eat a little, I want more, more, more.  So, I've just had to stay away from them for the most part.  As you may remember, my treat every night at 9:00 when I have to take medication with food is to have a "no sugar added" fudgecicle, 40 calories.  My biggest weakness is brownies!  I get a box at Costco of Hershey brownies.  I think it makes 6 pans.  I keep them on hand for when we're invited places.  Everyone loves them.  It's hard to stay away from them, so I will save one to have instead of a fudgecicle. 

I love the whole sweet/salty taste.  I used to eat a brownie, then I'd "need" chips or pretzels, then back to the brownies.  Pretty ugly.  I haven't eliminated salt, either, but I try to cut down--especially the night before weigh in!!  lol 

Oh, the strawberry jam sounds sooooo good!  I tried to make plum jam with my mom once.  It ended up being the consistency of syrup, so we used it on pancakes!  Haven't tried it again, not my cup of tea, I guess. 

That's a great idea to call the gym ahead of time about childcare.  I know they wouldn't hold spots for me, but if there's already a waiting list, maybe I could put their names in.  Or, just not go.  It is very aggravating to get psyched up to workout and then be 10 minutes late for the class because of their rotten childcare. 

That would be heavy to pull 2 kids in a wagon!  I know what you mean about not making a difference with the older ones gone.  My kids are 5, 10, and 15.  The 10 and 5 fight constantly!  I really miss the 15 yr old when she's gone, because she is good at distracting the 5 yr old and running interference! 

Did you make the lf spinach/ricotta stuffed chicken breast?  That sounds really, really good! 

Okay, I'm going to answer your next post, too. 

(I'm so glad you're here!)  : ) 

Diane 

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last