Message Boards

Topic : 08/09 A Mother's Rage

Number of Replies: 4573
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 05, 2006, 06:58:58 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/08/06) Karen is a stay-at-home mother of five who says her anger is out of control. She fears that if she doesn't get help right now, she'll fly off the deep end and do permanent damage to her children. Cameras placed in her home capture an alarming day in the life of Karen and her kids as she degrades and rages at them, and physically abuses her 10-year-old son, Brandon. Karen's husband, Jim, who says he has no idea what goes on in their home while he's at work, sees the home footage for the first time. What is his reaction? Then, hear from Brandon and his 9-year-old sister, Shayna, who describe what it's like to be a small child on the other side of a mother's intense rage. And, what did they tearfully tell the producers about how their dad disciplines them? Plus, Dr. Phil shows how Karen's 3-year-old twins are coping with their fear. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

Some viewers have raised questions about whether the Dr. Phil show reported Jim and Karen to the authorities after the taping of this show. Other viewers have expressed surprise that Karen and Jim's children were allowed to go home with them after the show.

Please be assured that immediately following the taping of "A Mother's Rage," the Dr. Phil show did make a report to local child protection authorities. As a mental health professional, Dr. Phil is required by law to make such a report if he has concerns about the safety, welfare or well being of a child. However, Dr. Phil does not himself have the authority to remove children from their parents' home.

Remember that a lot happens after the taping of a show that TV viewers never get to see.  Dr. Phil's staff draws on a vast network of experts and mental health professionals to help Dr. Phil guests. Karen's family is just one of many to have received this assistance.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 7, 2006, 11:32 am CDT

God Bless you!

Quote From: merilee65

Doctor Phil,  

I am raising my niece and nephew because of my sister doing things like this to them. She chose drugs and booze over them. These poor kids were kicked, punched ,slapped, and called horrible horrible names. Cps was called MANY times.  and after hearing this and receiving a phone call from my disabled mom , I drove done and took them made her sign papers saying i have gardianship and off we went . I have had them now for almost 2 years and they are WONDERFUL and soooo cool! I am seeking and willgetcustody of them. I refuse to let a child be battered like this.  

This mother and father should be in JAIL!!!  Cps needs to place these poor things in a foster home and mom and dad be FORCED to get help. It makes me SICK to my stomach to see that little child say please mommy don't and THEN when i see you asking them What are you most afraid of? the stick. Dad telling his lies OH i only used it once. Well this is what I have to say to him don't crap in my hand and tell me its a cookie. Thats a lie. Why would the children be SOOO afraid of it? What OTHER things are they doing BEHIND the camera to these kids. They do not deserve to have these special gifts ..SHAME ON THEM!! I can't stop crying over this..its so painful to watch and i hope and pray they seek help.   

As far as the kids..PLEASE i beg you PLEASE get them out of there. It only takes one good thud to kill someone. I can see that happening if something is not done soon  

I think it is wonderful that you would take in  the kids. 

A lot of people wouldn't do that. 

This show on Monday looks like it will be good. 

I can't believe that Mom is so outta' control. 

She has no business being alone with them, esp. 

being a stay at home Mom. 

I hope she gets help NOW! 

May 7, 2006, 2:15 pm CDT

Mother Rage

Quote From: alkemie

And????  I'm sorry even if your mother treated you this way, you KNOW it isn't right.   This is crap, you never treat your kids like this, I don't care what is going on in your life. 

Crap? I would never use this word, because the mother is sick and she is not aware of what she is doing. I am not finding excuses for her, but the Mother needs help and the kids too. 

May 7, 2006, 3:58 pm CDT

05/08 A Mother’s Rage

Quote From: carene

hello  

I think that Karen is acting with anger with her children, because she use to be treated the same way from her parents. Or the relationship between her and her husband is not so good, so in a way she push her anger  toward the kids. 

NO excuses ...many of us have had things happen in our past it is no excuse ... we should all want better for our children!!!!!! It is obvious however that she knows this is not right and wants help by going to Dr. Phil. I pray for these children and hope the mother and father can STOP hurting their children...this is a sad sad story Im not sure if I can watch it.

May 7, 2006, 4:39 pm CDT

Mothers rage

I too have not seen the show, but from what I have seen, these poor chidren are walking on egg shells in their own home.What is up with these parents? The mother obviosly has major problems, and the father, he should be protecting these children. There are other ways to discipline your children. Physically attacking them is not the answer. Get some help parents.

May 7, 2006, 4:43 pm CDT

05/08 A Mother’s Rage

Quote From: princess1

Dr Phil, please do the right thing and call CPS  NOW!!!    I also grew up in a home with and out of control mother.  While my father was a wonderful loving man, at the time he was also an active alcholic and could not help me.  There was no "intervention" back then, and once in second grade when I came to school black and blue and nearly hysterical I was sent to the office and made to call my mother and apologize for whatever it was I did wrong.  I dealt with low self esteem my whole childhood, went through a suicide attempt at 17; and 3 hospitalizations for depression.  My first husband was just as abusive as my mother and I continued to make bad relationship decisions for many years.  After many years of no contact with my mother I made the mistake of letting her back in my and my son's live 8 years ago.  Finally I had to cut the ties again, and my son felt the need also to cut his granny out of his life.  I am now married to a wonderful and supportive man and have a happy and stable family life.

I am so happy for you, we all deserve happiness and a wonderful life. Good Luck to you!

May 7, 2006, 5:28 pm CDT

larabie72

Crap? I would never use this word, because the mother is sick and she is not aware of what she is doing. I am not finding excuses for her, but the Mother needs help and the kids too. 

hi,  i would  just like to say iam really upset with what i saw i cant believe the way her anger was directed at those kids , and the fact the son was pleading with his mom.it is our job to protect and make sure know one hurts our kids and then to see that mother think its ok to hurt them like that.im glad she contacted the show to get help ,but im afraid the damage is already done.its never to late to reach out for help,but the damage that has been done emotionally is  i believe ,irraversable.she has anger issues  and needs some serious help so do the kids.

May 7, 2006, 6:53 pm CDT

Mothers Rage...answer to carene

hello  

I think that Karen is acting with anger with her children, because she use to be treated the same way from her parents. Or the relationship between her and her husband is not so good, so in a way she push her anger  toward the kids. 

Many in my time, (the babyboomers 1945-1959) watched our relatives and neighbors get beat BADLY by their parents as seen in this clip for Mondays show.  IT WAS TYPICAL of how parents punished their children.    

My husband has 11 siblings him being #9.  They grew up watching their Dad BEAT the living daylights out of their mother on a weekly basis.  She had:  

• Both her legs broken 3 times
  • Both her arms broken 2 times
  • Her face and cheeks beat severly
  • Her eyes blacked out all the time
  • Her one kidney removed because of a severe beating involving her being kicked badly on that kidney
  • A 12 guage shotgun, cocked, safety off and trigger pulled while pointed in the middle of her forehead.  Fortunately, the oldest son (at age 15 at the time) knew the Dad had loaded it and he would unload it every time the Dad loaded it.  When the Dad pulled the trigger and nothing happened, he beat her severely
  • Had a miscarriage because of a beating
  • Stayed with him until the youngest was 3 when she sat them down and asked if they would be ok if she and Daddy lived apart.  They cried tears of JOY!!! She was soooo shocked...she thought they wanted to have their Dad there with them!!
  • ALL 11 of the children have had at least 2 children.  ALL OF THEM HAVE NEVER laid a hand on their child, using other methods to "punish".
  • Everytime my husband and I watch a television movie, or talk show with abuse, he always says, "Why do people continue to use it happen to me, so I continue the abuse excuse'??  Everyone is an adult..GROW UP!  GET HELP!!  My husband and his siblings cannot understand how someone could do this to their child, especially when they have suffered the same treatment.

So, even though Karen MAY have had this same type of abuse bestowed upon her during her childhood, this is NO REASON to do this to her innocent children.  There are those who NEVER EVER do this to their children, even though they have had severe emotional and physical abuse done to them for many many years.  Please do not allow this EXCUSE to continue.  If you see abuse, hear abuse, or a child tells you about abuse.....R E P O R T  I T!!!!  Get Children's Protective Service involved and keep on them!!! You will GET RESULTS!!  

May 7, 2006, 6:58 pm CDT

BULLIES NOT PARENTS.

HOW CAN THESE TWO CREEPS BE CALLED PARENTS. I'M A STAY AT MOM OF  3 AND  1 ON THE WAY, 10 ,6, AND  2 . I  AGREE  IT'S VERY VERY STRESSFUL  AT  TIMES , BUT I COULD  NEVER  TREAT  OR LET ANYONE  EVEN  THEIR DAD TREAT   MY  KIDS LIKE  THAT . DON'T  THE BULLIES  KNOW  HOW TO COUNT TO  TEN .  DR PHIL  PLEASE  SAVE  THE  KIDS...  

May 7, 2006, 7:08 pm CDT

what comes around goes around

Hey mommy dearest, think you can bully around your kids eh?! One day your kids are going to be bigger and stronger than you and THEY will pick your nursing home.  

May 7, 2006, 7:10 pm CDT

mom rage

These kind of parents do not deserve the right to breed

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last