Message Boards

Topic : 08/09 A Mother's Rage

Number of Replies: 4573
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 05, 2006, 06:58:58 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/08/06) Karen is a stay-at-home mother of five who says her anger is out of control. She fears that if she doesn't get help right now, she'll fly off the deep end and do permanent damage to her children. Cameras placed in her home capture an alarming day in the life of Karen and her kids as she degrades and rages at them, and physically abuses her 10-year-old son, Brandon. Karen's husband, Jim, who says he has no idea what goes on in their home while he's at work, sees the home footage for the first time. What is his reaction? Then, hear from Brandon and his 9-year-old sister, Shayna, who describe what it's like to be a small child on the other side of a mother's intense rage. And, what did they tearfully tell the producers about how their dad disciplines them? Plus, Dr. Phil shows how Karen's 3-year-old twins are coping with their fear. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

Some viewers have raised questions about whether the Dr. Phil show reported Jim and Karen to the authorities after the taping of this show. Other viewers have expressed surprise that Karen and Jim's children were allowed to go home with them after the show.

Please be assured that immediately following the taping of "A Mother's Rage," the Dr. Phil show did make a report to local child protection authorities. As a mental health professional, Dr. Phil is required by law to make such a report if he has concerns about the safety, welfare or well being of a child. However, Dr. Phil does not himself have the authority to remove children from their parents' home.

Remember that a lot happens after the taping of a show that TV viewers never get to see.  Dr. Phil's staff draws on a vast network of experts and mental health professionals to help Dr. Phil guests. Karen's family is just one of many to have received this assistance.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 7, 2006, 8:12 pm CDT

past experiences is moast certaintly no excuse and i can prove it!!!!

Quote From: mumma1

NO excuses ...many of us have had things happen in our past it is no excuse ... we should all want better for our children!!!!!! It is obvious however that she knows this is not right and wants help by going to Dr. Phil. I pray for these children and hope the mother and father can STOP hurting their children...this is a sad sad story Im not sure if I can watch it.
 I am also a mother of 5 children at the age of 28.i had my first son at the age of thirteen,he was a result of a brutal rape when i was twelve.my mother married me off to cover it up in the family to a very abusive man that nearly killed me at the age of 14!! i was also molested by my step-father and my uncle.I will be the first to tell you that i have alot of rage built up inside of me along with guilt,shame,and hurt.I sometimes feel like i am utterly dying inside,but i DO NOT take out any of this on my children not even the son from the rape,it isnt his fault what happen to me! my children are my world and i know that no matter how many men come or go in my life that my children will always be there to love and adore me and thats why i love and adore them with all my heart. there is nothing greater in this world than the children gifted to us by our heavenly father.And for this mother to treat these children in this manner down and out right discusts me.i just want to take them under my care and show them that the whole world isnt bad and there is love out in the world.If this mother reades this please please get help for those childrens sake.they don't deserve to live in fear in that way.i lived in fear not the complete same kind but fear for a child can seriously damnage them for life.there is hope for you and i hope you seek it IMMEDIATLY!...angeleyes_wth_tears@yahoo.com......if you ever need to talk just drop me a line or 50.anytime you feel raged email or im me please.talk to me cuss me do whatever makes you feel better just leave them children alone.

May 7, 2006, 8:29 pm CDT

I hope Dr. Phil reported them before waiting for the show to air.

I was abused for much of my younger years....I don't say "childhood" as I never had one. While mine was not physical as much as mental and sexual, I feel for those kids.  

I think someone needs to use the same punishment on the parents that they dealt to the kids.  

~~Matt 

May 7, 2006, 9:21 pm CDT

Now I am on the other side!!!!!!

It is so weird to see this preview of this show knowing that back in August 2005, that was me. Yes this is Michelle from the "Afraid Of My Mom" show. I never took the hitting as far as this family is but I can tell you now, I am glad I went to Dr. Phil for help. Yes I screamed at my children, made them excercise instead of hitting them. I can tell you all who post on here the one thing that I have learned from all this experience and that is yes we have all either been the abuser or the one abused. As Dr. Phil told me on the show "that is just an excuse" "you know right from wrong so as for what your parents did or did not do is no excuse for the way you are today". Well guess what.... he was right. My husband has ADHD, my daughter in the closet and in the bathroom on the tape that was almost throwing up has ADD. And my diagnosis is I am Bi-Polar. It is no wonder since we knew none of this why we were all confused and in shame of what was happening in our lives. But it took me going to Dr. Phil to have all this brought to the table. Now I am not giving this woman an excuse but something tells me there is a problem there. I hope that Dr. Phil can help her as he did me and my family. He opened our eyes to the reality of what was going on. It will take time and alot of patience and you will not see results right away but please believe me that things will get better. You have made the right step in asking for help.  

Good Luck with your family, 

Michelle 

May 8, 2006, 1:18 am CDT

Arrest that Woman now

A crime has been committed. The criminal has confessed. She should be arrested. If she wants "help" she can get it in prison.   

She should not get a free pass.   

I hope the authorities in her hometown do the right thing.  

Period.  

May 8, 2006, 1:35 am CDT

05/08 A Mother’s Rage

This absoluty BREAKS MY HEART...... I feel so bad for these innocent kids. It is outragous that these kids, or any other kids, have to live this way.   

At least Dr.Phil knows about this case, I know they will be protected now  

May 8, 2006, 3:45 am CDT

OH MY GOD!

What a pathetic thing this abusive mother is! These kids need to be taken out of the home ASAP until she gets her act together.   She needs to hit her knees tonight and BEG her childrens forgivness for the torture she has done to them and then spend the rest of her life making it up to them.  These people deserve the back lash they are going to get for their actions. 

Put the boots in the trash and the stick in the fireplace and keep your hands to yourself. 

They really need to be ashamed for this abuse, but then again you can't shame the shamless! 

May 8, 2006, 3:46 am CDT

ah huh

Quote From: veganvixen

These kind of parents do not deserve the right to breed

right On! 

May 8, 2006, 4:04 am CDT

Mothers Rage

You have got to be kidding me. Previous messages were corrected, these two MONSTERS have no right to call themselves parents, nor should they have the right to have these children in their lives. My children are 21 and 19 and they have NEVER been slapped or hit in any manner at all, no matter what they did or at what age they did it. I would like 5 minutes with them both to kick the crap out of them and see how it feels for them to have someone slapping them.. These two must of been abused as children to feel it is acceptable to do this to a child. Having a child is a gift you have been given, not a right to abuse. It's like a marriage vow, you should love honor and cherish your children for the rest of thiers and your life. Dr. Phil kick thier butts today on the show, I know your just as mortified as US real parents are.

May 8, 2006, 4:41 am CDT

Absolutely wicked

You wicked, wicked woman.  How can you look into their little faces and do that to them? I'm a mother too and I have never ever hit my children because when they look at me, they look at me like I am the centre of the world and I don't want to take that away from them.  In such a harsh, cruel world I want them to know that their mommy loves them and will never hurt them.  There's a special place in hell just for people like you - if I was you I'd have a very serious think about pulling my socks up.

May 8, 2006, 4:56 am CDT

The saddest thing....

It broke my heart to hear the kids talk to Dr. Phil.  Getting beaten is so normal to them that all they really mentioned was "Mommy and Daddy getting angry and yelling."  It DIDN'T EVEN OCCUR to them that isn't normal!  Dr. Phil.....you need to call CPS because the father hits them too!  You can't leave the kids in HIS supervision!!! 

Steph 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last