Message Boards

Topic : 05/09 Finding Allene and Mollie

Number of Replies: 406
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 05, 2006, 07:00:27 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Join Dr. Phil on an incredible journey in search of two missing girls, Allene, 13, and Mollie, 15, who were abducted by their father a year ago. The search is filled with suspense, traveling thousands of miles away from the U.S. through the jungles of a Third World country. Go inside a deeply religious community, known as the Hutterites, where the members live as if they were from a previous time: girls in bonnets and long dresses, transportation by horse and buggy and no electricity or running water. Will this global rescue mission lead to the recovery of two kidnapped children? Who has them and, more disturbingly, for what purpose? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 7, 2006, 11:27 am CDT

they look Amish

I'm looking to watching this 2 part show. 

They are dressed like Amish, so it will be interesting to see what 

that Dad has to say for himself. 

It looked like on the 2nd part that they may not want 

to go with their Mom. 

The cult probably turned them against her. 

That is going to be sad. I'll have to tape these shows for sure. 

May 7, 2006, 9:23 pm CDT

Think twice

Quote From: philfan70

to go with their Mom. 

There is, of course, another possibility: that the girls preferred their father all along, went with him of their own free will, and enjoyed the Luddite lifestyle there.

May 7, 2006, 9:35 pm CDT

Not Hutterites

The community described could not have been Hutterites, because there are no Hutterite groups in Central America, and Hutterites are not technologically backward. They drive modern vehicles,  farm thousands of acres with heavy diesel tractors, and manage their livestock barns with computerized climate control.

They look much more like Old Order Mennonites to me, and if so, would be reclusive indeed, but entirely peaceable and harmless.

May 8, 2006, 12:57 pm CDT

05/09 Finding Allene and Mollie

Quote From: philfan70

to go with their Mom. 

I am terrified by the word "CULT" While the Amish, Old-Order Mennonite and various PLAIN groups might seem weird they are often more "Christ-Like" in their beliefs than most Main stream Christian Church bodies.  

As a Conservative Mennonite myself. I have studied many of the World Religions and have a Graduate degree in Religious Education. While I have not seen this show Yet. I tend to feel that we need to listen first and then evaluate things with the guidlines given in Scripture. A cult would inply that these people do not put their faith in Christ.  WHile there are many cults that say that they are Christian. The key to seperate a cult from a non cult is the basis for their salvation. If Christ is the only way then according to the Christian tradition not a cult if Christ is not the only way then Cult.  

The Amish and other Plain peoples do not belive that their lifestyle is EARNING their way to heaven. But it is a way to seperate from the world as it tells us in scripture to "be in the world but not of the WOrld." 

May 8, 2006, 1:06 pm CDT

Is it not possible that they are an old orded Hutturite? Just like the mennonite?  

From what I've seen, I think the father was wrong to try to take the girls, but the mother seems really flakey as well.
I don't think it's a cult the girls are in, nor do I think they're being kept there against their will. I have a feeling that for some reason, the father believes that the best thing for his children is to not be the mother.  

May 8, 2006, 3:31 pm CDT

Quote From: jendara

Is it not possible that they are an old orded Hutturite? Just like the mennonite?  

From what I've seen, I think the father was wrong to try to take the girls, but the mother seems really flakey as well.
I don't think it's a cult the girls are in, nor do I think they're being kept there against their will. I have a feeling that for some reason, the father believes that the best thing for his children is to not be the mother.  

There are only three main groups of Hutterites, and none of them reject modern technology. Not a chance that these are Hutterites.

May 8, 2006, 4:08 pm CDT

Disagreeing in Maine

Quote From: jendara

Whether the father beleives that their mother is the best thing or not, didnt the mother say it was ordered that she see her kids??? Thats a contempt in this state, and not to mention, its considered kidnapping, if the mother has visitations. Maybe the mother had some bad run ins with life in the past, but seems to me shes just desperate to see her kids. As a mother, I would be irrate if my childrens' father did this to me, and I would be taking the same steps to finding my children. Just like she is doing. And whether or not the father wants the mother in the picture, EVERY child deserves both parents. Let them be the judge of who the better parent is, WITHOUT the brainwashings that goes with it. Not to mention you say that the mother is flakey, I think the friends the father have are in need of some desperate help as well, cause he doesnt seem hes got all the cards to make a full deck.

May 8, 2006, 5:16 pm CDT

Thanks

I am a little distressed that Dr Phil did not do a commentary on the "Plain People" in the USA. The Amish and Mennonites are good people. The mother bad mouthed the German Baptist church in the first episode. My grandfather was a minister and my brother is a minster in this church. The mother has a lot of issues. The judge in the divorce of these 2, was reluctant to give custody to either of the parents. He had to make the "better" choice at that time. I know some of the personal details re: this because of my family connections. The father was wrong in taking the children away from the mother but you need to know both sides of the story. 

May 9, 2006, 6:38 am CDT

Quote From: crma_2005

Whether the father beleives that their mother is the best thing or not, didnt the mother say it was ordered that she see her kids??? Thats a contempt in this state, and not to mention, its considered kidnapping, if the mother has visitations. Maybe the mother had some bad run ins with life in the past, but seems to me shes just desperate to see her kids. As a mother, I would be irrate if my childrens' father did this to me, and I would be taking the same steps to finding my children. Just like she is doing. And whether or not the father wants the mother in the picture, EVERY child deserves both parents. Let them be the judge of who the better parent is, WITHOUT the brainwashings that goes with it. Not to mention you say that the mother is flakey, I think the friends the father have are in need of some desperate help as well, cause he doesnt seem hes got all the cards to make a full deck.

You know plenty of bad and/or abusive parents have had rights to their children, it doesn't mean they deserved those rights! I by no means agree w/ the father taking off with these children like he did, but am I the only one who read what the Dad said about waking up to a gun in his face or being threatened with a knife by this woman! (Is that what you call a "bad run in with life?") 

And I am sorry, but what qualifies you to say these children are brainwashed from watching five minutes of their interview with Dr. Phil? 

I agree that something needed to be done, but to condem this man without knowing what spurred him on and without knowing the WHOLE story just seems imbecile! 

May 9, 2006, 6:41 am CDT

Tough Decision

I find this story quiet distrubing!!  Though,the father was wrong to take the children, the mother was equally wrong when she brought charges against the father once her daughters were returned to her, this shows how  jealous of her daughters relationship with him, does she realise that this will have a greater affect on the children.  She should not have gone back on her word. 

I believe these kids  may be better off without living with their mother, as their beliefs and dress would cause other kids to slag them off, they should join a plain community as they mentioned.  They could never settle in to normal life again and the mother would try to influnence them to live normally,  I think the younger girl may survive but not the older girl.  Will be looking forward to the outcome. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last