Message Boards

Topic : 09/05 The Divorce Experiment

Number of Replies: 531
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 12, 2006, 10:03:49 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/16/06) Are you married to a man who doesn't know how good he has it? You do the cooking, the cleaning, take care of the kids, and he still takes you for granted? After seven years, Amy finds herself in a marriage where she is expected to wait on her husband hand and foot, and never voice her opinion. Her husband, Greg, is a self-proclaimed male chauvinist pig, and says his wife's job is to take care of the family without questioning his role as "king" of the house. Amy says if Greg doesn't learn to treat her like his equal and not his servant, she's going to divorce him. Dr. Phil sends in a Relationship Rescue team of strong women to teach Greg a lesson! While Amy is sent off on a special trip to build her self-esteem, Greg gets three new "wives" who give him a dose of his own medicine as they put him through all that he demands of his wife on a daily basis. Will he finally see Amy as his equal and become a better spouse in the process? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 12, 2006, 1:07 pm CDT

05/16 The Divorce Experiment

My question is, why did she marry this man in the first place? Did they not discuss their roles in the marriage before hand?

Guess I'll see if that gets answered.

May 12, 2006, 4:23 pm CDT

Quote From: purplepain

My question is, why did she marry this man in the first place? Did they not discuss their roles in the marriage before hand?

What I think happens (or at least it did for me) is that these men are nothing like what they become when you get married.  My  Ex-Husband was wonderful when we were dating.  He was prince charming, and we talked about EVERYTHING!  But after I said "I do!"  the rules changed.  So after 5 horrible years I divorced him.  We will have to watch and see if that is the case here.

May 13, 2006, 3:02 am CDT

It works both ways

Quote From: purplepain

Remember ladies, relationships cut both ways as does change. Women are not immune to being sweet and beautiful before the wedding only to become a living nightmare after the wedding ring is on nice and snug. With that said, it's highly unlikely, in my opinion, that Greg will change regardless of what happens or what he says to Dr. Phil on the show after this experiment. In fact, it could have the opposite affect and create additional tension and resentment. Greg will have to make up his own mind to change. Nobody else can do that for him, but himself.

May 13, 2006, 3:38 am CDT

That's very true!

Quote From: eosuser

Remember ladies, relationships cut both ways as does change. Women are not immune to being sweet and beautiful before the wedding only to become a living nightmare after the wedding ring is on nice and snug. With that said, it's highly unlikely, in my opinion, that Greg will change regardless of what happens or what he says to Dr. Phil on the show after this experiment. In fact, it could have the opposite affect and create additional tension and resentment. Greg will have to make up his own mind to change. Nobody else can do that for him, but himself.

Amen to this!  I'm in the opposite situation.  I'm a husband who works at home and takes care of my 3 year old son whilst working.  (My wife works outside the home.)  When she gets home in the evening, I end up walking on eggshells.  She's had a rough day...no one understands her...her boss yells at her...etc.  I try to listen and then she starts in on me "Why can't you schedule your clients better?  Why do I have to do everything around here?  etc."  Then, when our son wants to get some attention, she ends up yelling at him.  If we're lucky, she'll settle down before bedtime.  In the morning, it's like nothing happened and the cycle starts again.   

I own a lot of this because I knew better than to marry her and I gave into her pressure.  I knew that she was an angry person but I didn't know exactly how angry.  I've been trying my absolute best to make a bad decision right...or, at least liveable.   

I'm a fitness trainer and my clients come to the studio in our house.  I work from 6 am until 8 pm at night.  I deal with my early morning clients before the rest of the familiy gets up.  Then, three days a week, I take my son to pre-school.  (My wife takes him two days a week.)  When my son gets out of pre-school around noon, I have scheduled my time so that I can be with him  So, I pick him up five days a week, deal with housework, grocery shopping, fixing dinner, etc. Then I take on my evening clients after my wife gets home.  Weekends, my wife is out selling her skin care products, taking skating lessons, etc. 

Thank goodness for weekends....although I'd like some time for myself, just the fact that she is out of the house is like a vacation for me.  (Besides, if I complained that she was out of the house so much, I'd never hear the end of it.)   

May 13, 2006, 5:07 am CDT

Divorced and happy

I was married to a man just like that and to answer the ?did we talk about the roles we hold in a marriage no we didn't talk about it ...I thought we could work things out I was wrong but I have been on my own for 24 years now and have raised my son all by myself and I couldn't be happier as Dr Phil said on one of his shows you really can be happy on your own I'm proof of that I wouldn't trade my life for any thing...

May 13, 2006, 5:17 am CDT

Quote From: twininwy

What I think happens (or at least it did for me) is that these men are nothing like what they become when you get married.  My  Ex-Husband was wonderful when we were dating.  He was prince charming, and we talked about EVERYTHING!  But after I said "I do!"  the rules changed.  So after 5 horrible years I divorced him.  We will have to watch and see if that is the case here.
I've been there myself but for me it took 31 years to get out. My fault for ever putting myself through it for so long but we have three sons that I would have and still would do anything for. So my feelings and my wants and needs were put on hold until they were grown up and left home, once the last son left home so did I. What a horrible life living this way. I worked full time, did all the cooking, cleaning, laundry, everything the kids needed. He worked and helped pay the bills, that was his job to hear him tell it. The wife's job (in his mind) way to cook, clean, raise the kids, be a wife and run the house and of course work a public job, while he did what he wanted to do. Yes, they do change once they say I do!

May 13, 2006, 7:12 am CDT

Remember the movie.

Quote From: primebeast

Amen to this!  I'm in the opposite situation.  I'm a husband who works at home and takes care of my 3 year old son whilst working.  (My wife works outside the home.)  When she gets home in the evening, I end up walking on eggshells.  She's had a rough day...no one understands her...her boss yells at her...etc.  I try to listen and then she starts in on me "Why can't you schedule your clients better?  Why do I have to do everything around here?  etc."  Then, when our son wants to get some attention, she ends up yelling at him.  If we're lucky, she'll settle down before bedtime.  In the morning, it's like nothing happened and the cycle starts again.   

I own a lot of this because I knew better than to marry her and I gave into her pressure.  I knew that she was an angry person but I didn't know exactly how angry.  I've been trying my absolute best to make a bad decision right...or, at least liveable.   

I'm a fitness trainer and my clients come to the studio in our house.  I work from 6 am until 8 pm at night.  I deal with my early morning clients before the rest of the familiy gets up.  Then, three days a week, I take my son to pre-school.  (My wife takes him two days a week.)  When my son gets out of pre-school around noon, I have scheduled my time so that I can be with him  So, I pick him up five days a week, deal with housework, grocery shopping, fixing dinner, etc. Then I take on my evening clients after my wife gets home.  Weekends, my wife is out selling her skin care products, taking skating lessons, etc. 

Thank goodness for weekends....although I'd like some time for myself, just the fact that she is out of the house is like a vacation for me.  (Besides, if I complained that she was out of the house so much, I'd never hear the end of it.)   

In the movie "Kramer vs. Kramer" the two parents were in a scene where they were arguing over their daughter and each had hold of one of her hands and you could see that they'd pull her apart physically, but she began to scream and in the end got a lawyer and divorced her parents........ a precious little girl. So obviously no one is focused on their children, only on what they view in their own mirrors.

May 13, 2006, 7:15 am CDT

Nanny 911

That's exactly what they do on Nanny 911 or Wifeswap or any other show. It always works, so I'm hopeful for a good outcome here.

May 13, 2006, 7:26 am CDT

well I'll be!

Amy is sent off on a special trip to build her self-esteem

And all this time I thought self-esteem came from having a backbone and doing things that you'd be proud of!

May 13, 2006, 7:26 am CDT

I can relate

my ex was like that and even bragged to his mother how i treated him like a KING....and yet the "King" was abusive physically,emotionally, mentally, and cheated on me. I knocked him off his royal thrown and divorced him....best thing i ever did...because the man i am married to now is one in a gazillion....i didn't know men even existed like my husband....he appreciates me...and i him....he knows what LOVE is.  The mistake i made was as a teenager....getting sexually involved  instead of getting an education and becoming an adult first.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last