Message Boards

Topic : 05/18 Alex Turns 18

Number of Replies: 409
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 12, 2006, 10:10:06 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Whenever Dr. Phil walks down the street, people ask: “What’s going on with Marty, Erin, Alex and Katherine?” This divided family first came on the show when their 15-year-old daughter, Alex, was pregnant and her condition was ripping their lives apart. Alex has accomplished a lot in three years. Get an update on her son, Nathan. Plus, Alex’s younger sister, Katherine, felt anger and resentment about the pregnancy and the constant chaos in her parents’ marriage. Find out how she’s been coping, and hear the burning question Marty has for Dr. Phil. Then, see the amazing surprises in store for this family! And, Dr. Phil follows up with another unforgettable guest, April. She was the anorexic bride, whose husband ended their marriage over the phone. How is she adjusting to life as a single woman? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 27, 2006, 1:53 pm CDT

Where's Erin?

OK, what's the real story on why Erin wasn't on the show?  "Holding down the fort"??  I don't buy it. If this were the case, why wasn't she interviewed on the video?  She was only shown in a few background shots & never even spoke!  Come on Dr. Phil, what's up?

May 30, 2006, 3:42 pm CDT

Progress

This family (minus Erin, missed her) has totally done a turnaround it seems.  I was so absorbed in their lives for that period of time that it was amost bittersweet to see them again.  How cute is Nathan!?  I am so happy to see Marty bonding with the kids.  He looks younger and authentically happier than I had ever seen him.  So happy too see Alex get that truck.  I have never, in my life seen someone more grateful or genuinely excited as she was... I was bawling! 

June 3, 2006, 12:14 pm CDT

THE TRUCK...

Quote From: mlynn61

I understand that Dr Phil  is proud of Alex as we all are. She mentioned that she would like her own home. I'm confused that Dr Phil would give her a big expensive truck (just think of the gas mileage and high $ tires!) instead of a savings account for Alex & the baby's home.  I would rather drive an inexpensive car and have my own place instead of the truck.  I'm disappointed with Dr Phil on this one. 

Was a total move by GM.. Think about it... What is down right now in the area of car sales? 

BIG TRUCKS and SUV's... why because of gas prices... 

What better way to advertise this HUGE truck then by giving one away on the Dr. Phil show. Did you realize how many times GM and this truck was mentioned? Not to mention all the commercials during the show for GM.. not to mention the advertising on this website right after the show. 

THis had nothing really to do with doctor phil.. this was a way to adverstise in a less expensive way. 

June 5, 2006, 12:04 pm CDT

Dr. Phil - WHAT were you thinking?

Dr. Phil - thanks for the family update.  Like many other viewers, I often wonder about your first Dr. Phil family.  However, I was SHOCKED that you would give an 18 year old girl a fullsize truck!  A teenage has no business driving something so expensive!  Why would you ever spend that kind of money on an 18 year old, instead of putting the same money into a bond or savings account for either her college or her son's college?  I was shocked at the extravagent gift and think it sends the wrong message to everyone.  Kids in this generation already feel they are "due" these types of things and don't have to earn their own vehicles, possessions, etc.  You are teaching Alex that she doesn't have to go out and earn her own vehicle.  And she will probably struggle to pay her own insurance and gas in a truck like that.  This is the first time since I began watching you that I questioned your actions.  The money would have been much better off teaching Alex about her financial future and retirement, college, etc.  From:  A Washington State viewer and mother of a daughter the same age as Alex.

June 6, 2006, 7:55 pm CDT

Congradulations Alex

I am very proud of Alex! She has had to grow up alot having a child. She has done a very good job with Nathan.  Lots of credit given to her also for graduating high school thats an important part of the rest of her life.  And as for Dr. Phil giving her a truck, good for her, maybe it was to enougrage her to keep doing good.  I am really glad the whole family is doing great, last time we saw them they were a total wreck and who wouldve thought they would make  it this far. 

June 11, 2006, 2:06 pm CDT

Gift Reactions

Hello  Everyone 

Did yall see the reaction of alex and katherine when they got there gift. 

When Katherine got her saddle, she was happy like wow what a great gift. This is great 

When Alexandra got her Truck. She jumped like someone lit a fire under her butt......... 

July 4, 2006, 5:22 pm CDT

Great Job, Alex & Family

I was so happy to see an update on this family...They just finished airing the entire Family Divided series here in Australia, and I knew it actually aired in the states a while ago since I saw part of it there.  I honestly didn't think that Marty and Erin would make it as a couple, but I am so estatic to see that they did, and that the girls are also doing better.  Alex, just as any teenager does - still has so much to learn (I can see it because I acted much like her when I was 18) and she will in time!! :)  

Regarding the gift,  I think that Dr. Phil giving her the truck was not just as a 'willy-nilly' gift that wasn't earned.  If you noticed, Dr. Phil didn't give her a huge gift like that at the Family Divided Finale, but gave it to her after she achieved HUGE milestones - balancing school, parenting & getting into college.  She has really worked her tail off to make the best of her situation, and I think that Dr. Phil's gift was a very generous, well deserved one. Way to go, Dr. Phil - You did a tremendous job with this family!! 

July 7, 2006, 11:30 pm CDT

So True!!

Quote From: yngmom4

I feel like I just walked into a room full of kindergartners.  There is so much whining going on on this board, it is absolutely unreal.  So Dr. Phil gave the kids expensive gifts...get over it!  I too was pregnant at 15 and had to work and struggle for everything I've ever gotten, but it has only made me a stronger person.  I do not feel the least bit jealous because Alex got a new Silverado and nobody gave me one...and believe me, I could use it.  I drive a little Chevy Malibu that we have to fit myself, my husband, four kids (two of whom are in car seats) into, and we are thankful that God sees fit to let us have working car at all.  Who are all of you to judge Dr. Phil, Alex, or anybody else?  Did you go to school and get a degree in psychology?  By all means, show us proof of your qualifications, and we all might give some weight to your whining and complaints.  Until you can do that, just shut up!  No, he probably didn't pay for the truck, but that doesn't mean that Alex and her baby don't deserve to have a safe vehicle to ride around in.  It's not a reward for her getting pregnant, it's a reward for her accomplishments over the past three years, as well as a means to keep her and the baby safe.  If you don't like it, don't watch the show anymore!  

I, for one, am extremely happy that the whole family is doing so well.  While I would have liked to actually see and hear Erin, I can understand how she might desire her privacy at this point.  I respect that.  I don't believe she owes America anything at this point.  All of you who think she does need to examine your motives.  Are you so skeptical and suspicious that you thrive off of other people's pain?  Is the show no fun for you if somebody is not hurting, so you just have to see a problem where there is probably none?  Again I say get a life!  If she didn't want to share it, then it's none of your business!  

At the time this family was appearing on the show weekly, I had just had my son, who will be 3 in August.  At the same time, I could identify with Alex because when I had my oldest son I was her age, and he was born in November, as I believe Nathan was also.  The family touched my heart very deeply, and I think everyone needs to stop the negativity and let them live their lives.  God forbid one of them should decide to read this board.  They will probably never again want to appear on the show after viewing all the negative comments here.  I would certainly not blame them.  

To all of the positive people posting here, I am sorry you have to see this, but I just could not stand all of the bs.  After reading 40 pages of mainly negative posts, I am wondering just how each post is "approved".  Seems to me like there are a lot of people who should be thankful their negative crap is even allowed to be posted on here.  If this continues, I could easily understand why Dr. Phil might want to discontinue message boards.  And by the way, have any of you ever heard of spell check and proper grammar.  If you're going to post a message whining and complaining, at least have the courtesy to spell correctly and use proper English.  You might be amazed how many fewer negative responses you would get back if you could express your point in a grammatically correct and positive manner.    

Finally, someone points this out! I am totally sick of the whining and negative comments as well. I always automatically get the sense that people are just bitter and jealous, and there are far too many negative comments. What kind of unsympathetic, angry people are there out there who just criticize everyone else but believe they themselves are "right" and really get it and do everything correctly?  

And that is also very true about the grammar... I am always tempted to skip to the next message as soon I encounter the spelling and grammatical errors. A few minor mistakes is fine, but to think that readers are going to take you seriously if you can't get through one sentence without a half dozen errors? Some writers need to check themselves, and that includes their attitudes.  

Alex has TRIUMPHED and conquered a lot in the face of obstacles and struggles and that is why she received the TRUCK as a gift, which Dr. Phil had found out she really wanted, and she deserves it. For people who have a problem with that - it's THEIR PROBLEM. Do I sense bitterness and jelousy coming through in those people?! 

August 8, 2006, 10:12 am CDT

05/18 Alex Turns 18

Quote From: flthomcat

I hope this photo is not of your precious child or someone else's. As a former parole officer who completed MUCH training on sexual predators, I can tell you that this photo could possibly end up all over the Internet; however, it would be doctored in disgusting ways. I have seen photos where body parts were added (and strategically placed) to captivate the lust of pedophiles. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE never put ANY photo of your children on the Internet. You would be shocked to learn just how quickly the photos are copied and abused. Please think about it!
...talk about an over reaction!

First | Prev | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | Next Page | Last Page