Message Boards

Topic : Having a Baby Has Changed My Life

Number of Replies: 78
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:58:03 pm
Author : dataimport
From bliss to total chaos, having a baby can change your life in many ways. Share your personal experience of how a baby has changed your life.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 9, 2008, 6:39 am CDT

Having a Baby Has Changed My Life

Quote From: eluishia

my names eluishia (alesha) and the proud mother of a 3 month boy old called deakon. he is my life and the reason i breathe. i think he saved my life. i went from partying every thurs fri sat and smoking pot every night to get to sleep, to finding out i was pregnant and stopping smoking cigarets and pot and drinking. he is my savior. i never wanted children and was so careful. i almost didnt keep him but realised this must of happened for a reason. now i wouldnt give him up for anything in the world. its changed my life and my partners in the best way pos!
I completely understand. before my son was born, I didnt care about my self at all and put myself in situations I would never even consider today. I went from someone with absolutley no respect for myself to someone with an immense about of self esteem and it's all due to my son.

April 9, 2008, 6:51 am CDT

Quote From: ladyluck_

hi i'm a 21 year old single mother ..having my son was the best gift god has ever given me...it literally changed my direction in life...the father has never seen him and that is how i want it...however at one time i thought i would let him but he never followed through which i think is for the best...i want to tell my son that his dad died heroicly...or would like it even more if i met someone who could be his father....his biological dad really has no redeeming qualities and has never been able to stay out of jail ,tell the truth, care about anyone other than himself and more importantly will never change...i struggle with what actually would be the right thing to do or say....
I'm in the same situation. My son's father was very abusive and has no redeeming qualities as well. He too has been in and out of jail. It has been my choice to keep him out of my son's life, and therefore, my son has no idea who he is, or even has a concept of what a dad is. However, I read a really great way to explain to your child about this exact family situation. The best thing is to never lie to your child, because one day he'll find out the truth. what I plan on telling my child is that there are lots of different types of families. Some with mommy's and daddys, some with two mommy's and some with two daddy's. Some families just have a daddy and some have just a mommy. And that he has a family with just a mommy, but that's okay because it means he gets loved double the amount. I figure that this should be suffice until he is at an appropriate age to begin to explain to him age appropriate information about the situation. My own personal preference as well is that I will never talk badly or exaggerate about his father. I will only tell the truth, because if he chooses to find his dad one day, I want to come out looking like the better parent.

April 9, 2008, 5:41 pm CDT

I had a very unnormal childhood and by age 8, I was drinking, by age 11, I was drinking heavily, smoking, doing drugs and having sex. This went on EVERY day for 3 years. I was thrown out of every school  in my county for fighting. My life was on a serious downhill slope. What stopped it was getting pregnant at 14. I quit EVERYTHING, with the exception of smoking and being a ho. My love for my daughter turned my life around. After going to 9th grade 4 times, I went on Independent study, caught myself up so that I could graduate, quit drinking, quit doing drugs. I haven't touched pot in 16 years. I do drink now, but not every day like I did. My children are now 11, 13, 15. I am thankful for them every day. Although it was rough having a child at that age, they are my angels. God only knows where I would be without them.

April 9, 2008, 9:25 pm CDT

Quote From: stacyann

I too recently became a new mom. I am 28 years old and had been dating my fiance for a little over a year when we were moving in together last year. In the middle of our move I noticed that I had missed my cycle and was just not feeling right. We chalked this up to Texas sinus and kept moving. Then we took the test and it showed we were having a baby. That was the first of our new found relationship "nothing is ever easy" is what we call it. In the middle of being pregnant I did not want to be engaged, plan a wedding and look for a new home. So we started with finding a home. Well again nothing can be easy for us. Our son Dylan decided he was just took happy and needed to come out almost 3 months early, that is right he was born at 29 weeks. Dylan did have some complications that resulted in his delivery. My blood pressure had risen so high that my body started rejecting Dylan and they saw on the ultrasound that he had hemorrhaging in his brain. Thus at 400 the doctor advised they were taking Dylan and at 415 he was here. Since then Dylan had to spend 84 days in the NICU and has undergone 3 surgeries, with the most recent being on 10/05. During all of this we decided that my fiance, yes we decided to get engaged after moving into the house a week after Dylan was born, decided to become the stay at home parent. Mr MOM...... This was decided b/c Dylan ended up having to spend several days weekly at all different Doctor offices and had to do OT with the state appointed therapist and nutritionist. We have now been denied our Medicaid and SSI and are in the appeal process, did not think this would go away and now on one income WOW the extra cost my insurance does not pick up is eating us alive. With all of this it is something new daily with Dylan and we are just so Thankful that God continues to bless us in overcoming these issues. Dylan never let's it get him down though, he just keeps on the best he can and acts as if nothing is wrong. he is just so cute. We love him so much. He has had his own website since he was born to keep everyone across the globe advised of his current  condition and our friends and family have been great. With that being said TRUST me I was so happy to return to work, it is my escape. However, please do not do what I did and get too involved with work that you spend all your time with it. Work will always be there, but your family has to come first, they need YOU. It is okay to need a break and it does not make you a bad parent at all, just be careful at how many and how long your breaks are. In addition you also have to remember to keep your relationship with DAD... This is something we could use advise on, we are such great friends that sometimes that is all we are anymore. We are working so hard at everything else we kinda put us on the back burner.... 

I had a full term stillbirth with my first child.  This means that I was wheeled into the delivery room knowing that the child was already dead. 

I had trouble with my second baby, also.  She had a condition called fetal growth retardation.  It means that she ceased developing after the 30 week.  I only cared that she was alive.  I still hold that hospital's record for not asking the gender of the child.  I was lucky, she weighed 5 pounds and 1 ounce.  If she had weighed less, she would have gone to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. 

Try and look at it this way, you are never gonna be able to pay off that debt.  You owe that hospital so much money that now they have to be nice to you.

April 25, 2008, 11:45 am CDT

My Daughter

My daughter Emilee is the most beautiful thing i have in my life and to know that i might lose her just breaks my heart ... remember when u have a child no matter how  young or old you are, you remember that that child didn't ask to be brought to the earth and u made that child so take care of that child because some times if u don't u will regret it ....

September 8, 2008, 4:00 pm CDT

My daughter

My daughter Kendall was born July 12th of this year. I've never loved anyone the way I love her.

I'm seventeen years old and a senior in high school. Before my daughter I didn't have my priorities in order. My life was all about partying. I wanted to socialize, break the rules, sneak around, and skip school. I felt that everyone was against me. I believed that my mother was too over protective and that my personal life was my business and nobody elses.

After my daughter my life did an 180. I understand my mother, and I know the extent of my mother's love (it's endless). Everytime I look at my daughter it still amazes me that this is someone I carried for 9 months, 1 week and 1 day. This is someone who was a part of me, who I nurtured, talked to, and felt kick inside me. The first time I heard her heart beat was my undoing. That day was the turning point of my life. I knew that I needed to make something of myself for my daughter.

My mother and I are closer than ever. I've learned how to talk to her and I've learned to open up to her about my personal life. I'm a senior this year on the honor roll for the first time since middle school. I plan on attening the University of Louisville and become a Regstered Nurse. I love my life and I love my daughter. I'm gonna become someone for my daughter.

-AYA<3

September 13, 2008, 11:00 am CDT

My wonderful new family

I have read everyone's posts on the baord and it is certain that having kids will change your life forever.

When I was born 10 weeks early with my twin, the hospital made an oversight leaving me with cerebral palsy. Through my childhood I battled all the Drs and taught myself to walk. At 14 I was taken out of school for a year and had corrective surgery which broke all of my leg bones, lengthened all my muscles and released all of my tendens.  I had to teach myself to walk all over again.  In that year I learnt to walk and balance again and home schooled completing my school year so that I could go back to school and not have to repeat.

Over the years I have gone on to complete a University Degree and found a good job within the Government helping those who need benefits from the state.

My fiance lived in SC and back in August last year I had the pleasure of telling him that once again I had disproven all of my Drs because....I was pregnant.  When he moved from SC to the UK we got married and he took care of me for the nine months I carried her.  Rowan was born 7lbs 1oz on May 30th 2008 and she has changed our lives in ways I never thought possible.

Not only can I relate to my mom better but I've had to learn a whole set of new tricks for taking care of my daughter. I cannot balance unaided so I have learnt to pick her up with one had and support myself, I get her in and out of the house and into the car using her buggy etc.

All these experiences have taught me that I can achive what ever I set out to do and all of that is because of my miracle daughter

June 9, 2009, 3:56 pm CDT

Young Mother

i am 18 years old and i gave birth to my daughter Le'Etta in December of last year.  before i had her my life was crazy and a mess and my goals where all over the place. and since i have had her i know now exactly wat i want out of life and where i want to go and do. my daughter has saved my life in so many ways and i would not go back and change anything for the world. having my daughter at a young age was the best thing that ever happened to me. even though i did not get to graduate with my class this year i plan on going back to school and getting my diploma to give my daughter a better life.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next Page | Last Page