Message Boards

Topic : Having a Baby Has Changed My Life

Number of Replies: 78
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:58:03 pm
Author : dataimport
From bliss to total chaos, having a baby can change your life in many ways. Share your personal experience of how a baby has changed your life.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 13, 2006, 5:53 pm CDT

seperation anxiety

Quote From: thick_maddam

I had Kameron 6 months ago he is my first child. He has changed my life so much, in so many different ways. I never understood why it was that my mom was always so protective over me. I mean I knew because I am her daughter, but I never understood the bond. I am so close to my son. When I had him I spent the first month of his life in the hospital: 1st with an infected c-section and 2nd with blood clots. So Kameron and I didn't get those "first moments" together, after I got out I would not hardly let him out of my sight. All I wanted to do was bond with him. I was so afraid he was not going to know I was his mom because I could not take care of him that first month. But looking back on that now, I was so silly because he definatley knows his mommy. He his the best thing in this world to ever happen to me. I love him with all of my heart and soul and I would do absolutley anything for him. The only thing I am afraid of is that when I do go back to work (which will be soon) I do not know how I am going to deal with us being apart. I guess it's safe to say I have seperation anxiety. I don't know if that is normal or not.  
It  is normal but I think it is different for every one. having a baby does change ones life and for most of us, it changes for the better. Though it is hard at times and has its moments of stress and all, it most definently is the most rewarding experience that a parent can have.

I am stay at home mom and have loved every minute of it, but sending my 5 year old off to kindergarten for 6 1/2 hours a day M-F is a bit stressful for me, though I don't show my emotions much through this, I understand exactly what you are saying. I seriously was thinking about homeschooling for various reasons and one of those reasons was so that my children would be home, and me "knowing" that they are safe and happy is very imporant to me and in al honesty, no one knows our children better then any one else, My littel one keeps me company and is such a joy to have around which I think is probably why I don;t show much emotion and think so much about the stress of sending her sister to school, I can't imagine what it will be like when my littleone goes off to school!

I think what ever choics we make when it comes to raising our kids, if we truly are putting them as a high priority and know that our choices are gonna help our kids in the long run, then everything is gonna be alright. seperating from our kids is hard, for me, I pray for them and think of the positive things and I am usually ok.

I know I probably didn't say a whole lot to encourage you or not but I will say, what you are going through is normal, we just have to figure a way around it and what that is, I am not too sure. But I will say, that yooou sound like a good mom and nothing wrong with bonding with our children, that is a healthy thing to do.

September 13, 2006, 9:43 pm CDT

Having a Baby Has Changed My Life

Quote From: jettav

It  is normal but I think it is different for every one. having a baby does change ones life and for most of us, it changes for the better. Though it is hard at times and has its moments of stress and all, it most definently is the most rewarding experience that a parent can have.

I am stay at home mom and have loved every minute of it, but sending my 5 year old off to kindergarten for 6 1/2 hours a day M-F is a bit stressful for me, though I don't show my emotions much through this, I understand exactly what you are saying. I seriously was thinking about homeschooling for various reasons and one of those reasons was so that my children would be home, and me "knowing" that they are safe and happy is very imporant to me and in al honesty, no one knows our children better then any one else, My littel one keeps me company and is such a joy to have around which I think is probably why I don;t show much emotion and think so much about the stress of sending her sister to school, I can't imagine what it will be like when my littleone goes off to school!

I think what ever choics we make when it comes to raising our kids, if we truly are putting them as a high priority and know that our choices are gonna help our kids in the long run, then everything is gonna be alright. seperating from our kids is hard, for me, I pray for them and think of the positive things and I am usually ok.

I know I probably didn't say a whole lot to encourage you or not but I will say, what you are going through is normal, we just have to figure a way around it and what that is, I am not too sure. But I will say, that yooou sound like a good mom and nothing wrong with bonding with our children, that is a healthy thing to do.

I guess what most worries me is I am afraid I am going to miss out on things like when he takes his first step or something like that. I know that there is nobody in the world that can take care of him like I can. I would love to just stay with him, but if I did that then we would have to struggle and I know it's for the best. I am also looking into going to college. I have been out of highschool for almost 3 years and have made no attempt on going back. I know that by doing school I would be making a good move not only for myself but for my son also. That way I can get me a good job and not have to worrry financially. I am glad to hear that it is not only me that feels this way. Thank you!

"If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands" *Milton Berle* 

September 22, 2006, 1:20 pm CDT

Dr. Phil's biggest little fan

My 11 month old son (seen here on my profile pic) has changed my life in so many ways.  He is my second child and he has taught me so much patience, and believe it or not how to relax.  Before he was born I used to run around the house cleaning up after my oldest son over and over again, but with the baby now walking and getting into everything I have just learned to let it go that it can wait until the end of the day or at least til nap time.  Now I actually can sit down and relax, and watch the Dr. Phil show which by the way since he could crawl he the baby comes as fast as he can when the opening music starts and then just dances away.  And when Dr. Phil starts talking he stands up right in front of the TV and just laughs and smacks at him it is so funny to see him react like that, and thats how I came to know that he is Dr. Phil's biggest little fan.

September 25, 2006, 8:58 am CDT

i know how much life changes with a baby

i am a 19 year old before i got preg i worked full time and went out with my boyfreind every weekend to parties and had fun.  Now we are husband and wife and have  a 3 months old name Jay.  He works full time and i stay at home and care for little Jay.  We no longer go out partying on weekends we are lucky if you see our freinds anymore.  and when we do go out i call the person he is with at least 3 times to see how he is and if he is ok.. i still haven't let him stay with someone more them 8 hours and that was only on sundays when my mother in law wants to take him.   most people tell me that i lost my childhood but i odn't think so.. i love my little man to death and wouldn't change a thing except maybe my hubby not working 12 hour days

September 29, 2006, 2:23 pm CDT

oh boy

ok so.... I gave birth to my first child when i was 21 I had found out i was pregnant 13 weeks into my pregnancy. I was a drug addict ;addicted to meth at the time. I knew I had to do somtehing for the baby that was inside me. I had moved in with my dad August of 2003. My daughter was born that november. ( 1 month early) I would say she saved my life. I had been in my addiction for almost 4 years and I know that if I would not have become pregnant I dont know that I would still be here today. Her daddy would come around whenever it was convenient for him. Before her one year birthday he split. When my daughter was 5 1/2 months old I had became pregnant with my second baby. His daddy made it clear he did not want anything to do with him in the beginning; however he did show up at the hospital when my son was born. Now he is in prision and well thats another story. Needless to say having children has been a blessing sent from god. My children are my life. All I know how to do is to do the best that i can with what i have. I dont have any other choice. I have been clean for a little over 3 years and I struggle with it still sometimes but you know all I have to do is look at my beautiful children and that is enough. Being a single mom is absolutely no walk in the park I get no child support from either of my childrens dad's so financially it has been a huge struggle. I often wonder if I am being the best mom or if i am parenting the right way. Somehow though things always work out. My daughters father has cleaned up and has been doing very well for himself. He now wants to start a relationship with our daughter. It bothers me that men can just come and go as they please. It has been over a year since he has seen her and I dont really know how this will effect her. I struggle with the decision to let him see her for fear she will be hurt. i have had to take myself out of this equasion and think about my daughter but they say mother always know best. I dont really know that i belive that when it comes to decisions like this one. I belive that things happen for a reason and i also belive that god will not put anything in front of us that we can not handle regaurdless if it it something so painful or terrifying. This is a decision I dont think i can make and the reason being I dont want to make the wrong choice for her. As mothers and as fathers we make the decisions for our children especially when they are so little. Well this is a little piece of my story and of my life.

October 4, 2006, 11:18 am CDT

WOW!  So many other young moms! Having my chilren has given me the life I always wanted. Ever since I was a liitle girl I knew my life would include children at an early age. When I was as young as 5 I would put on my moms bra and put a pillow in my shirt so I looked pregnant and stand in front of the mirror, I would make friends with the "grown-ups" who had new babies and offer my help. When I was 16 I lost my virginity and when I was 17 I became pregnant. My boyfriend (father of my chilren) is the second guy I've slept with. Before I got pregnant I was 103 lbs, living in a grow-op, and I had dropped outta school 2 years before (because of harrassment and fear of society). I was tired everyday, from having no food and smoking pot all day. When I became pregnant my boyfriend and I each moved back with our parents, I was enrolled in a class in a local high school for pregnant and parenting teens, and I began eating very healthy. (I have always had a passion for food) I gained 20 lbs in the first month of my pregnancy. However, I was still not ready for school and dropped out 1 month into the program. So I stayed home and took care of myself and my tummy. When I was 7 months pregnant my boyfriend and I moved into a suite. My baby boy, Aiden was born 11 days late, I was induced. Labour was very short, 2 hrs, but it was one of the worse deliveries. He got stuck in the birth canal and his heart rate was decreasing rapidly. The doctor performed an episiotomy and had to reach in and break Aiden's arm to get him out ( He was already too far through to perform a c-section). When he arrived we all saw his birth defect, he had been born with clubbed feet, his feet resembled golf clubs, the bottoms of feet faced his bum and his toes pointed 90 degrees in, this plus abroken arm. He was taken away and he didn't return to me for 2 hrs. But when he came back he was very healthy and breastfed readily. He weighed in at 9lbs 12 oz. 1 week after his birth we went to an appointment with an orthotist. Without knowing what was going to take place, the cast both his feet into the nuetral position. I was 17 years old with the little baby I've always wanted, and he was in an arm sling with two casted legs (all the way up to his thighs). I cried all the time for the pain and discomfort he must've been in. Nobody seemed to understand why I was upset. Aiden continued to be cast once a week until he was 4 months old and the he was in boots-and-bars all the time. I had to stretch his feet multiple times a day. When he was 7 months old I started the new school year. He loved daycare and I loved school. when he was 13 months old I got pregnant again, although I didn't know until I was 18 weeks pregnant. When we discovered I was pregnant my boyfriend had been trying to quit smoking, and we were issued an eviction notice that day. My boyfriend made me feel like I had to choose between him and the baby. I am not going to kill my child, my son's sibling, it just wasn't an option for me, he knew that. We got past it and started getting really excited about the new baby. She, Kayleigh, was born 22 months after our son, her delivery was also 2 hrs not with a single complication. She arrived 7lbs 15 oz. we were discharged the next day. I soon realized that having 2 was not double the work. I love the age gap between my 2. I returned to school 9 days after Kayleigh was born. At the end of that school year I recieved money for college for being in the top 30% of my grade. Now my children are almost 2 and 4 and I couldn't be happier. Without them I probably wouldn't have gained the courage to go back to school, I wouldn't have gained the confidence I so desperatly needed, and I would't have made the wonderful friends I have today. My children and boyfriend have blessed and enhanced my life more than I can say. I always knew I was born to be a mother. Even though I had them at an early age, I know I take as good care of them as any 30 yr old. I feel so much more pride and confidence than I ever have before.

October 16, 2006, 1:14 pm CDT

I'm 17, and I had my son (seen in my profile picture) when I was 16.  It is so hard being a young mom, even though I married my son's father and we're doing good on our own, it is very hard.  I didn't drop out of school, I homeschool myself over the internet and I plan to go to college.  I want the best for my son, my parents weren't there for me so I want to make sure I'm there for my kids and that I can give them what my parents never gave me.  Being a mom changed my life.  My son is the most important person in the world to me and I would do anything for him.  I love being a mom and I wouldn't trade it for anything.  Having a baby changes everything, not only when you're young.  All the other young mom's probably know what I'm talking about, even if they're not as young as myself.  To all the young mom's out there, keep up the hard work!  Your children will thank you!

October 20, 2006, 5:45 am CDT

My angel

I'm 19 yrs old and I have a four month old daughter named Hailey. And boy has she changed my life as kids usually do. I ended up pregnant in the first year of college not even a month after my 18th birthday and I knew I was pregnant before I even found out for sure. The summer before I got pregnant I moved out of my strict mother's house to live with my boyfriend. For two weeks we drank smoked pot and never ate. I lost so much weight but I never even noticed it. Then my boyfriend got in trouble for selling drugs and was sent to jail and then rehab. During the first month of college and after he got out me and my now fiancé used to go out every weekend to get drunk and I used to smoke pot.  Everything changed after I was pregnant. I barely went out with my fiancé and now I don't even let my fiancé drink. I'm going to college full-time still and now I'm going to better myself for Hailey. If there was anything I learned from my mom it's to depend on yourself to take care of your kids and yourself. But since I had my daughter I have a full-time job. I take care of her 24/7 and Josh helps out when he feels like it. It's hard but I know someday she's going to be somebody and I'll know to thank myself for changed my lifestyle for her.

October 21, 2006, 5:37 pm CDT

amazing

I'm a mom of 3 kids under 4.. my youngest is only a month old.. now  i can tell you  my husband and i used to have tons of friends.. funny thing is he still does but as for me i have well one friend really i talk to her just about every day and she lives in NJ  so its interesting..  i have family all around but its not the same.. he gets to go out without the kids when he feels like and I am left home taking care of them all the time with no break.. and he just don't get it..

October 21, 2006, 5:45 pm CDT

Quote From: emajsmom

I'm a mom of 3 kids under 4.. my youngest is only a month old.. now  i can tell you  my husband and i used to have tons of friends.. funny thing is he still does but as for me i have well one friend really i talk to her just about every day and she lives in NJ  so its interesting..  i have family all around but its not the same.. he gets to go out without the kids when he feels like and I am left home taking care of them all the time with no break.. and he just don't get it..
have you communicated with him about this? if so and he isn't responding then I suggest thatyou just take the time for yourself. When you know that he is going to be home with no plans, already have the kids fed, whatever and when he walks int he door, tell himt hat you are going out for a while and you will be back in an hour or two, tell him to put the kids in bed, or whatever and just go, do not wait for  a response. Don't do this too often and make sure that he can actually enjoy the little ones, don't expect him t o do a bunch of stuff, otehrwise, he will hold grudges. I do this all the time, thankfully my hubby doesn't mind, I do not hesitate to s ay, I am going to the grocery store, or to the mall to walk,w hatever, you deserve a break.

I would also suggest you to find a play group, go tot he library for story times, whatever and then you will be able to meet other parents, I know it isn't easy to drag our kids out at times, but they can use the fresh air as well. DOn't wait around waiting onhim to give you a break, if he isn't gonna offer, then you have to find a way to do this.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last