Message Boards

Topic : Having a Baby Has Changed My Life

Number of Replies: 78
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:58:03 pm
Author : dataimport
From bliss to total chaos, having a baby can change your life in many ways. Share your personal experience of how a baby has changed your life.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 7, 2006, 1:18 pm CST

Having a baby changed my life in several ways

All good though!!! well now lol

At first I went from being able to sleep in all day to not sleeping at all lol.

I'll tell you what though you never really know what love is till you have experienced the love for your child. 

My baby is 8 months old now and the last 8 months have been wonderful.  Things just get better every day.  She is a real joy and I'm so happy that I had her.

Changed my life because it gave me a reason for being.  Until I had my daughter I was wandering around in circles with no direction.  Now I know what I was put on this earth for.  I'M HERE TO BE A MAMA!! I'm so thankful for everyday that goes by.  Everynight when I lay my little one down to bed I can't way till she wakes me up in the morning so I can see her beautiful face again.

Babies are blessings from God. Love em and Cherish them.

God bless everyone that reads this.

November 10, 2006, 10:40 am CST

A blessing

When my husband and I got married we were not at a very good place in our lives.  We have been married for 2 years and together 6 years before we even got married.  the last two years we were together before we got married we liked to party.  We did our share of drugs and got pretty bad; enough for our parents to really get worried!  We had both lost our jobs because of our partying ways, and needless to say we needed help.  We really wanted to change so we moved in with his parents and a couple months later got married.  By now we have been doing pretty good haven't touched drugs since we moved in with his parents and felt like we had our lives back on track, then I found out I was pregnate!  I was so devistated at first, I thought my life was over and we would be living with his parents with a baby!  It was really hard for me, but he was remarkably positive about it all and i thought everyone would be mad at us, but nobody was.  Everyone was really happy and positive about it and made me feel more comfortable.  When I was 7 months pregnate, we purchaced a house.  Peyton was born in July of 05 and from that point on I knew that everything was going to be okay!  He has been such a good baby and so fun  I am so glad I have him! I finished nursing school after he was born, and my husband has a great job in the avation feild and is going to school to be an Aeronautical Engineer!  I would have never guessed we would be where we are now!  I say Peyton was our Blessing because there is no way I would ever have him in an enviroment where there are drugs and strange people.  We could have easily fallen back into that game, but now we have something precious to live for and are closer to our families than ever.   After Peyton was born I would lay in bed an think about what my parents must have been going through while I was out having my fun and screwing up, and I worried about Peyton making the same mistakes we did.  The next morning I had to call my parents and tell them how sorry I was because now I can feel their pain I must have caused them.  Having a baby has changed my whole perspective on everything, and my life for the best I can be!

February 5, 2007, 12:49 pm CST

It will never be equal

Quote From: abirney

I became a wife in August of 04 and then found out I was pregnant four months later and Noah was born in August of 05.  I love this little guy with all of my heart, but he has completely changed my life. In one year I became somebody's wife and someone elses mother.  This has been a really hard transition for me.  We are the first in our group of friends to have a baby so I really have no one to talk to.  When I get stressed out  I feel guilty.  I am used to working full time, but I have been off work for three months and have three weeks to go.  I feel guilty because I am almost looking forward to getting back to work just so I can be me again.  I love my child and would not trade him for anything, but I have found I that I am beginning to resent my husband because he has been able to keep some normalcy in his life.  He returned back to work after only a week at home, during which time he came and went as he pleased leaving me and the baby at home alone.  He is a very loving husband and father, but it seemed to me that this wasn't nearly the change for him that is was for me.  He comes home from work and lets me know he is going to spend the evening playing golf.  He doesn't have to worry that his son will not be taken care of. However, if I want to go have dinner with friends, I have to check with him and make sure he can "babysit"  this is the double standard I cannot understand.  I have had to come home before even making it to the restaurant because my husband couldn't get him to quit crying.  I had only been gone for fifteen minutes and the baby was asleep when I left.  I asked him who he thought I called when I couldn't get him to quit crying.  I think that helped him understand a little bit better why I was a little stressed at the end of the day when he got home.  Don't get me wrong I feel blessed because I get to spend special moments with our son that my husband misses and I wouldn't trade those, but why is it that dads are so quick to show off their children, but do little to actually help take care of them.  When do they become equal care-givers instead of baby sitters?

Like you, I had a hard time with the unfairness I felt when we had our daughter 4 months ago.  I didn't have a father growing up, and I never thought about how the responsability would be divided.  I love my daughter more than my own life, and my husband is my soul mate.  After 9 years together I honestly thought I had it all figured out when we decided to start a family.  I didn't realize that as a mom, we will always be the primary care giver.  I've come to just accept that most men (not all, but most) don't have nurturing instinct it takes to raise a child.  One thing that has helped us is communication.  I've stressed to him that it just feels so unfair that he has been able to hold on to his old ways (going out with friends, sleeping in, etc) while my whole world has changed so drastically. 

One thing my husband says helps is that I tell him exactly what I need and then I actually let him do it - his way.  I tell him to trust his instincts because I've also found that he doesn't contribute sometimes because he doesn't know how to do it nor does he know how to ask for help.

Also, lay down the law a little!  I let my husband know that Saturdays are my days and he should expect to be taking care of the little one while I do whatever, where ever, I choose.  And one night out of the week he is in charge of bathing and dinner because I spend hours up in a bubble bath with a nice bottle of wine and a good book.  I told him that I should be able to feel like her father is watching her, not like I scheduled a babysitter.

It will get better, but I don't think it will ever be equal between my husband and I.  I will always care more about the details than he will.  But, I remind myself, there are other areas of double standards as well.  You'll never catch me weedeating or taking out the trash or fixing my car.  :)

Be sure to communicate with your husband.  Telling my husband that he hasn't done anything wrong, but I need more me time has helped.  Good luck!

March 20, 2007, 9:14 am CDT

a dream and a savior

My name is Kristen and I am only a mear age of 22. I have a 2 year-old son and he is my world.  Before I got pregnant I was doing drugs, was raped 4 times and was going down hill fast.  Ironically, the man I am married to now is one of my usual one-night-stands and is younger.  I started dating him in june of 04 and got pregnant in sept. of 06.  I didn't care about anything, not even myself, I was on the verge of death and I really think god sent me a very special child to be my savior!

March 20, 2007, 9:18 am CDT

a dream and a savior

My name is Kristen and I am only a mear age of 22. I have a 2 year-old son and he is my world.  Before I got pregnant I was doing drugs, was raped 4 times and was going down hill fast.  Ironically, the man I am married to now is one of my usual one-night-stands and is younger.  I started dating him in june of 04 and got pregnant in sept. of 04.  I didn't care about anything, not even myself, I was on the verge of death and I really think god sent me a very special child to be my savior!

March 31, 2007, 3:17 am CDT

my reason to live

my names eluishia (alesha) and the proud mother of a 3 month boy old called deakon. he is my life and the reason i breathe. i think he saved my life. i went from partying every thurs fri sat and smoking pot every night to get to sleep, to finding out i was pregnant and stopping smoking cigarets and pot and drinking. he is my savior. i never wanted children and was so careful. i almost didnt keep him but realised this must of happened for a reason. now i wouldnt give him up for anything in the world. its changed my life and my partners in the best way pos!

April 6, 2007, 8:27 pm CDT

Baby Rece

My son's name is Rece (pronounced Reese) and he is almost one now (4/27).  I can't believe how fast this year has gone.  I really am starting to enjoy him now- not that I didn't before, but he is really starting to become his own little person.  He's absolutely hilarious!  He knows what is funny and he laughs his head off.  He is like a puppy sometimes.  He'll crawl around with his little shoe in his mouth, or chew on movie covers, or eat things he finds on the floor.  Yesterday he was playing in the pots and pans cupboard and I was doing dishes.  He crawled over to a different cupboard (don't worry, I have the dangerous cupboards babyproofed) and opened a box of his honeycomb cereal and stuffed his mouth full with cereal before I even noticed that he had stopped banging the pans.  He's quick, and sneaky!    Another day I heard him laughing on the other side of the couch and I looked over the arm of the couch and he had his baby (it's a doll in a brown bear costume) on the floor laying on its chest and then he'd kiss its face and start laughing and then put his head back down, kiss the baby and start laughing again.  A different day I was giving him a bath.  He has rubber ducks and a big plastic cup (used to rinse him) in the bath with him.  I said "Put the ducks in the cup", thinking once I said it I'd show him how to put his ducks in the cup.  He did it right away without me having to show him- and I am the only one who bathes him.  He doesn't even talk and knows what I am saying to him!  He laughs when he toots, laughs when he sneezes, and dances with me when he hears music.  He's absolutely the love of my life and makes me laugh all day!  My husband and I are the luckiest parents in the world- at least in my opinion- and I'm not biased :)

Katie

April 24, 2007, 10:08 am CDT

Love being a mommy

Isn't she cute.... She is 1 month old... And just adorable... She has a brother who is 3 and he is adjusting well. He is a great helper... I was worried about having to take care of 2 children but it is not that hard.. I love it... Just wanted to show the world my pretty little girl.... There is nothing better than being a mommy....

April 24, 2007, 10:26 pm CDT

YES...

Quote From: juliems2

Isn't she cute.... She is 1 month old... And just adorable... She has a brother who is 3 and he is adjusting well. He is a great helper... I was worried about having to take care of 2 children but it is not that hard.. I love it... Just wanted to show the world my pretty little girl.... There is nothing better than being a mommy....

She is a real cutie, thanks for sharing and God Bless you all!!

Take Care, Love Kelly.

April 25, 2007, 3:02 pm CDT

Call to Pray

My son Daniel is two and is on life support.  This morning everything was fine and he just collapsed.  Please pray for Daniel, he is two years old and is blind, but otherwise he was doing alright.  I'm asking everyone I can to pray for him these next twenty four hours.  Need a miracle!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last