Message Boards

Topic : *A Dr. Phil Prime Time Special: Escaping Danger

Number of Replies: 113
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, May 16, 2006, 01:34:24 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The statistics are staggering. One in three women will become the victim of domestic violence. She could be your next door neighbor, your friend, your coworker.  To the outside world their lives seem normal but behind closed doors they live a nightmare full of intimidation and violence. For one woman, years of violence have brought her to a point of no return. Throughout her marriage, Kerry suffered physical and emotional torture at the hands of her husband. Like many women, she lived in fear, isolated from any help or support, until now.  In this important Dr. Phil Prime Time Special, Kerry will attempt to escape the abuse. She has only a narrow window in time to make her move.  And what she does in those few hours could be the difference between life and death. Kerry's dramatic story is an inspiration for the hundreds of thousands of women who wake terrified in their own homes. Airs at 8 p.m. (ET/PT) only on CBS.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 19, 2006, 6:31 pm CDT

CONGRATS

I am very very proud of this woman that she got out. When everything is said and done she needs to keep away from that man. His eyes looked evil and hatefull even as he was talking to dr phil good job kerry honestly i am very proud....YOu have me prayin for you from now on and your kids are very lucky to have you as a rolemodel....Jesus Loves  You and so do I.......GOOD LUCK

May 19, 2006, 6:32 pm CDT

Way to go Kerry!

Way to go Kerry! I know how hard it was to leave. Thank God you and your children got out safely. I can tell you from experience that it does get easier to deal with what he did to you. It takes a lot of time and counseling and talking to people who have been through what you've been through. 22 years ago. I made a similiar escape from my abusive ex-husband. After years of beatings, chokings, guns held to my head. I was pregnant and during the entire time, I was making my plan to get out. I should have done it sooner. One of his beatings caused me to deliver 5 weeks early. As soon as my daughter was cleared by the pediatrician to come home, I put my plan into action with a newborn and a 2 year old. I was terrified. For  years we moved from place to place, town to town. Somehow he kept finding out where we were. Finally he stopped and he remarried. He hasn't been seen or heard from  now for 23 years. My children are now grown. Both turned out great. They went to college, and most of all, they are wonderful people. I am so proud of them. To give you even more hope, 18 years ago, I met a wonderful man and we married. He is a gentle man who treats my children and I so wonderfully. He took on the Dad role with my children like they are his own. They love him dearly. I was so skeptical when I met him. I had not dated or wanted to since the horrible experience with my ex-husband. I found out that there are good men out there. Not all men hurt and torture women. Not all men are abusers. I know it's sick that any men can do those things to their wife and children.l Men that are kind, gentle and know how to treat there family. I pray one day you will find that for you and your family. You should be so proud of yourself and I applaud your bravery. Don't look back. Keep moving towards you and your children's future. One that I hope will be wonderful and full of laughter and new and happy memories. You've taken the first step to a great new life. God Bless.  

May 19, 2006, 6:41 pm CDT

Congratulations to Kerry!

First off, thank you for airing this show- I revisited my 15-year marriage while watching this and realized again what I have gained in my two years of divorce and many court battles.  Kerry you will find peace and pride.  I have met many women and am proud to be their friend- I have started living again and am doing speaking now on domestic violence and its effects on family- also looking for a job in advocacy.  The important thing is that you and your children are safe and you can contnue to grow.  Know that there are many women who support you!

May 19, 2006, 6:48 pm CDT

Still Shaking....

Well, Escaping Danger just ended, and I can't stop shaking yet. Thank God Kerry and the kids are out, and safe. Well, God and Dr. Phil and his team, I guess. I have to wonder though, why wasn't the husband put away? I live in Ontario, Canada, and when my daughter's dad beat me up the police would charge him, I didn't have to. I don't know if that applies in the states, but I would feel better for her, all the children, and her mom as well, if he was locked up. In his quest to find Kerry originally, did the psycho go to her mom's house? Or does she not live close enough to be a target? As far as the so-called husband being rehabilitated??? I seriously got the feeling that he really didn't care about anyone but himself anyhow. I almost cheered when he said he wanted to take  himself out back and hang himself. I am sick to death of people using their childhood terrors to justify their abusive behaviours. I am a survivor of incest from almost birth, an unemotionally supportive growing-up, and two abusive relationships as an adult. I am still in counselling for the fact that I don't seem to be able to let myself succeed in anything, but I am constantly trying to get better. I am on anti depressants for PTSD, and yet I manage to get through the day without wanting to yell at my daughter, or anyone else most of the time. In fact, all my friends like to tell me their problems because I listen so well. So DO NOT TELL ME THAT you have no choice about what you do because of how you survived your childhood. It's bull.  Good luck and God bless to all those that Dr. Phil can't get to, or who aren't ready to leave yet. I am not going to say don't be scared, because leaving is the scariest thing ever, especially with young kids. But trust someone who's done it, twice, it's okay to be scared, being scared just tells you that no matter what lies ahead, what lies behind is worse, you can do it. Believe it, even just enough to leave. 

May 19, 2006, 6:52 pm CDT

Primetime Special "Escaping Danger" Domestic Violence and Abuse

Dr. Phil and Staff,  

I just finished watching your  Prime time Special "Escaping Danger" on Domestic Violence and Abuse....the show was FANTASTIC.  

Very well done!  

Excellent resources for Domestic Violence   understanding and education  offered on the Show board and throughout  the website available to folks looking for a link to many resources.  

Very well done!  

Thank you Dr. Phil on behalf of all women and children  in this country and around the world.  

I know this show will save lives.  

Carrie's courage and your involvement will open the door for so many.  

I just can't say it enough, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.  

Domestic Violence and Abuse and Teen Dating Violence and Abuse is everybody's business.  

Heartfelt thanks.  

(the tears flow)  

May 19, 2006, 6:54 pm CDT

Excellent Show

What an excellent show. Was an eye opener. I have been married for 32 years, there have been several low points to my marriage and each one gets progressively worse. Early years it was a raised fist, threatening to hit me, several years later it was a raised fist, hitting the wall and breaking his bone instead of hitting me, few years later it was just a threat of killing someone in the house the only other person to him in the house at the time was me. Last time (March 2nd, 2006) it was being told to shut up, he had a knife in his hand and would kill me. Next thing I knew he was in my face with the knife. Did not touch me with it. I am an assault prevention instructor, I could have hurt him, part of what makes me passive. I did not call the police, because he is unemployed and figured it would not look good on his record when looking for a job. I know stupid. He has yet to apologize for pulling the knife. Over the 32 years he has been a verbally abusive person, played mental games (sulking when he does not get his way), and whether or not I wanted to have sex we were having it(up until a few years ago when he had an affair with his ex-fiancee from 26 years prior ). He is an only child and therefore very spoiled. He refuses to do any kind of work  or repairs around the house, taking care of his car, or outside work such as cutting the grass or in the winter removing the snow using the excuse that "He does not like doing it?" Needless to say rather than fight with him, myself or our kids do the work. My husband's idea of spending a day is playing computer games in the basement. I am realizing more and more that he has never really matured. He is still a child. Where or what does one do with someone like this, other than kick him to the curb, which may very well come sooner than I think. Unfortunately he has sunk us so far into dept, that financially it is not feasible right now.

May 19, 2006, 7:07 pm CDT

you can still read the show board

Quote From: kinzie96

missed the special tonight . I watched  chanel five today with the preveiws , and come to find out it was on CBS ,  I hope it will air again.

You can still read the show board and get a full view of what took place.   

There is also tons of resources and information on the show board.   

Its too bad that you missed it, it was one fantastic show.   

Find the show board by accessing the home page here and scrolling down to the posting on the show that aired this evening....then click on the link there....you will find the show board.   

Sorry you missed the show.   

May 19, 2006, 7:13 pm CDT

from a women's shelter in Wyoming

I am the manager of a women's shelter, and I, along with some of our brave beautiful women, just finished watching the show. These women would like to leave some comments: 

Annie: Get out as soon as you can, because you don't realize how it erodes your self-esteem, and your desire and ability to succeed. I kept telling myself I was strong and could handle it, but I couldn't. It takes a long time to overcome it, it wasn't until I got out that I realized how much damage he had caused, but I'm healing a little bit every day and I am trying. 

Tammy: My bigest thing is how scary it can be when you have children you are financially responsible for, but the freedom of not fearing for your life, not walking on eggshells is worth the struggle, and there are places and people who will help you, you just have to reach out for it. I don't believe for a minute that that man was sincere in anything he said--his behavior is typical of abusive people. He said exactly what he thought people wanted to hear. I could go on forever, but we'll stop here. 

Back to the manager--we're here for you, we're here for you, we're here for you. Just pick up the phone. 

May 19, 2006, 7:14 pm CDT

P.S.

Thank you Dr. Phil, for bringing this topic to prime time television, for caring. You probably saved some lives with this broadcast. 

May 19, 2006, 7:20 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor Phil. I like the show aswell. You did a good job on Kerry. I am proud of you the way you conf- 

ront Matt aswell. I think Matt sure go to Jail and stay there forever. See you next week. Well I had----- 

better close now. Sincerley Your. Russell

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last