Message Boards

Topic : 08/10 Abandoned

Number of Replies: 533
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 19, 2006, 10:11:45 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/23/06) Imagine being 10 years old, going to the park with your mother and sister and before you know it, you're alone and must fend for yourself. Michael was abandoned at a park carousel 22 years ago, and life as he knew it ended there. He has never stopped searching for his mother and sister, but he's been unable to find any trace of them. When Dr. Phil connects him with a private investigator, his whole world changes again. See what happens when he confronts the woman who abandoned him more than two decades ago. Will he get the answers he's looking for? Was his mother searching for him, and is she the same woman he remembers? Michael also learns some shocking news about his sister. Then, Dr. Phil surprises Michael with two women who never gave up their quest to find him. And, meet the amazing people Michael now calls Mom and Dad. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 22, 2006, 7:20 pm CDT

05/23 Abandoned

I can't understand why any mother would leave their child like that.  it's horrible when a mother or even any parent abandons their kid like that

May 22, 2006, 7:35 pm CDT

Michael I am so sorry

I cannot imagine losing one of my kids. I love them more than life it's self. I honestly believe I coyuld not go on without them. I know God gives us the strength, we never think we have. God said he would not put more on us than we could handle and I think A few times I have been close, but he has always brought me through.Michael, I beliueve we pay for the bad things we do. I believe what goes around comes around. God bless you Michael. 

May 22, 2006, 7:40 pm CDT

Can't imagine that

This is a horrible thing for a mother to do.  I can't even beging to understand why she'd do it.  I am a mother and would / could never abandon my chidren.  Even if you were 'lost' there had to be some way to find you! 

May 22, 2006, 8:02 pm CDT

Sorrow

I'm appalled to read Michael's story. 

I grew up with a physically abusive, mentally ill mother who 'abandoned' me in other ways, although she was always present to leave bruises. 

I'm so sorry for what your mother did.  

When I finally left my home when I was 17 to escape her, I was old enough to fend for myself.  When I married I vowed to never EVER repeat her crimes, to break the cycle.   

I waited 15 years into my marriage and many many years of therapy before I became a mom. 

I'm now the mom of a little boy and I just am lost trying to imagine how a mother could get to that place.  It's hard to not imagine her  NOT being a monster.   

My heart goes out to you,  Patricia 

http://trisha4005.blogspot.com/ 

May 22, 2006, 8:04 pm CDT

Can't Wait To Watch!

Michael, from the looks of the coming attractions, your "mother" who abandoned you probably did you a favor in the long run...for one, she doesn't appear to be too stable, plus she doesn't seem to want to be held accountable for her actions.  I hope to learn that those who eventually became your caretakers all these years did their best for you, and provided you with a loving and nurturing home!  This meeting with your "mother" should only serve as closure for you so that you can get on with the rest of your life.  Many blessings! 

OXO
Lucy

May 22, 2006, 8:14 pm CDT

I am soooo sorry

I can not imagine what it must have been like for you to realize you werent going home. I have a son who is 10 and I love everything about him. I can not imagine just leaving one of my children in a strange place and not knowing who is going to find them. I can not fathom what your mother was thinking. I wil have to watch to find out. I have 8 children and I can not imagine my life with out one of them. I can only pray for you that you can grow from this experience and move on with your life and I want you to know that the world is better because your in it. God Bless

May 22, 2006, 8:21 pm CDT

wow

Me personally ...I cannot imagine any Mother leaving her babies no matter how young or old they are!  

Myself, I fought so hard to keep my oldest baby safe. It was unreal.  

When I left her Dad, I had to look behind me every step of the way.  

He came into my Mom and Dad's home and took her from the crib. Not because he wanted her, but because he wanted to hurt me for leaving him.  

Evey time he did anything to me,I reported it.  

He came to my job and abducted me by knife point.  

Took me into the woods stripped me from the waist down and beat me.  

When I reported this to the cops in Manvel Texas,They laughed!  Then took pictures of my bruised backside.   

He raped me at gun point.   

Made a bomb threat on my Parents house, and ran me off the road. Each time I reported these issues to the local police. Brazoria County, Manvel, and Pearland. 

What happens when you are told to report abuse, and nothing is done?  

At that time, we were still married. In Brazoria County Texas, If you are still legally married, You cannot claim rape charges. That sucked big time!!!!!!!!  

I just can't see how a so called Mother...Could ever leave her baby.  

I couldn't.  

No matter what the cost, it wasn't happening!!!!!!!  

Best Wishes  

Wendy  

May 22, 2006, 8:30 pm CDT

Michael

Quote From: lcb81860

Michael, from the looks of the coming attractions, your "mother" who abandoned you probably did you a favor in the long run...for one, she doesn't appear to be too stable, plus she doesn't seem to want to be held accountable for her actions.  I hope to learn that those who eventually became your caretakers all these years did their best for you, and provided you with a loving and nurturing home!  This meeting with your "mother" should only serve as closure for you so that you can get on with the rest of your life.  Many blessings! 

OXO
Lucy

I agree with you Lucy, I am an adoptive mother and I pray that I have given my children a better life than if they stayed with their birth parents and familys. I know the stories about their lives and it isn't a pretty tale. A lot of re-union shows between birthparents and children are not the usual stories. I figure that if you gave your child up or had the child taken from you for say severe drug use, than you don't get to come in on my Childs life after they are all grown up! I was there when my children were sick, needed me and became my child with a bond on so strong. I believe MIchael will be hurt all over again and I can't see the good in that. I will pray for you MIchael. Cheryl

May 22, 2006, 9:02 pm CDT

05/23 Abandoned

Dear Michael, 

I was abandoned by my mother at the age of 18 months.  I am now 45.  I had a rough life growing up. I was raised by a dysfunctional Aunt and Uncle that raised me out of an family obligation. Michael I did not even have a bed to sleep in. I slept on the floor.  I did not know affection or unconditional love. I was a virtual Cinderella Story. . .I married a very prominet wealthy man and had two beautiful children, but I did not believe I deserved happiness.  I divorced after seven years of marriage.  My marriage lacked affection.  I can honestly say I am an excellent mother.  I have struggled with my life and now at 45 feel like it is finally coming together.  I struggle every day with the pain of my life, but it no longer consumes me.  I was for years a shut in and went through my life savings.  I fight every day to put one foot in front of the other and have been successful now since October. . .I now have my Real Estate License and am very proud to say I am admired by my peers and many of them want to be me. . .the me they get to see. . .they do not know my pain. . .mother's day is especially hard for me. . .I am facing my demons and have begun to realize I am lovable and hope to someday find the person that loves me for exactly who I am.  I no longer hide my past. . .I no longer put on pretenses that I am more than I am. . .I do have issues with abandonment, but I know how to verbally express them.  I know how you feel.  I know how you hurt. You are not alone.  There are many of us out here.  I need counseling myself and on many occassions have thought about calling Dr. Phil to help me deal with the Anger, the Hurt and the Loss. . .I have taken wholeness and healing classes at my Church. . .I have read all of Dr. Phil's books. . .I have found some peace in Dr. Phil's wisdom.  I lost weight because of Dr. Phil.  I think you are in good hands with Dr. Phil.  I wish I had a one on one session with Dr. Phil, but I will be watching tomorrow to see what he tells you. . .I will most likely have a box of kleenex handy.  I do not have the finances to get professional help, but I read constantly and have turned to the Church for what help they can give me. . .I have had days in the past year where I did not know where my next meal was coming from. . .Micheal there are so many of us here for you. . .if you need or want a mother. . .I have a very big heart and loving nature. . .I would be proud to be your mother. 

Love, 

Yvonne 

May 22, 2006, 9:08 pm CDT

From Mike and Donna

We wanted to take a moment to express what a blessing this has been for our family working with the Dr.Phil show.  For our family a lot of pain has come from what we have found but there has also been some relief, as hard as that is to say.  We really want to compliment Dr.Phil and his staff for the way they treated us through out this experience.  First I would like to say, Dr.Phil really does care about children, our children Mikey (8) and Kelly (6), were handled with extreme delicacy.  If I could sum up the staff and poeple who worked on the show I would call them a "class act" .  There were times throughout this experience where we wanted to quit, the wonderful staff kept us going and thier support was tremendous.  Thank you again for choosing us to help, and for following through with our search.   

Your friends, Mike, Donna, Mikey and Kelly

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last