Message Boards

Topic : 08/10 Abandoned

Number of Replies: 533
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 19, 2006, 10:11:45 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/23/06) Imagine being 10 years old, going to the park with your mother and sister and before you know it, you're alone and must fend for yourself. Michael was abandoned at a park carousel 22 years ago, and life as he knew it ended there. He has never stopped searching for his mother and sister, but he's been unable to find any trace of them. When Dr. Phil connects him with a private investigator, his whole world changes again. See what happens when he confronts the woman who abandoned him more than two decades ago. Will he get the answers he's looking for? Was his mother searching for him, and is she the same woman he remembers? Michael also learns some shocking news about his sister. Then, Dr. Phil surprises Michael with two women who never gave up their quest to find him. And, meet the amazing people Michael now calls Mom and Dad. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 22, 2006, 9:08 pm CDT

AWESOME COURAGE!!

May 22, 2006, 9:14 pm CDT

Abandoned

I was very sad to hear what this guy went through! I can't imagine that happening at a carousal I wouldm't even have the manners to confront his mother i would be to upset with her! How could she do that?!!   i myself went through similar circumstance my father abandoned me and my mom when i was only 2 years old and to this day i still go through my emotions even though life goes on you still wonder and think about it. At times I get depressed and you go through your inadequacies and self esteem issues, it never goes away.  Other than that i'm a lucky women with a loving family.

May 22, 2006, 9:17 pm CDT

AWESOME COURAGE!!

I can only imagine the anguish this man lived with.  How does a person ever learn to trust anyone else after that?  How often did he panic whenever a loved one got out of his sight?  How many nights did he cry himself to sleep trying to figure out what he did wrong?  I am touched by his courage in facing his fears.  Finding the woman (I will not honor her with the title mother)that did this to him is an incredible leap of faith.  God bless him and comfort him in his remaining  

life.  

May 22, 2006, 9:20 pm CDT

05/23 Abandoned

Quote From: rufuspufus

I know how it feels. My mother took me and four of my siblings and said we were leaving my father once and for all. We drove and she picked up a boyfriend and then dropped us off at her mothers house and never came back to get us or see us. Me being the oldest 12 with a three month old sister, four year old sister, six year old brother, and a eleven year old sister . I raised them all. I to this day have only seen her maybe four times and have asked her why and she does not give me an answer except that I could not take it. But God is good and all is well I don't need her in my life. You will get through this.  There was allot more going on with that said but that is enough for now. Julie Barraza
i to know how he feels my mom left us us  at any early age and my dad was a drunk who was murdered at the age of 39.  my mom was a alcoholic as well and gave us up. identical twin daughers and to brothers.  we were so young,12, 10 and 4.  she had no clarity and gave us up to a child molester.  who for the next ten to 13 years made our lives hell.  I was one of the twins and was seperated from my sister for over seven years, while i did not have to endure the sexual abuse by him as my brothers did i did  however had to endure the physical and emotional abuse.  My sister was kicked out out the house at age 13 and I was not allowed to speak to her until I was 21 years of age.  Not being allwoed to speak to her and being beat almost every day and told it is your fault ways pretty hard on a kid.  along with having to keep the secret of what was happening to your brothers.  seven years is a long time to be seperated for your twin sister.  a little of 25 years has passed now and the four of us are closer then ever,  we have in some ways worked through it  we almost never speak about it,it is still sometimes just to painfull, but we are all together.

May 22, 2006, 9:45 pm CDT

05/23 Abandoned

Micheal sorry to hear that this happened to you. I have three boys and could never walk away from them. even though I started way to early and got in over my head. I was 16 with my frirst was born a baby having a baby. Now I AM 27 and better off than when I started. I am not shure what goes throgh some moms head. But I know this much there are people out there that care and would do any thing to help you. It took me along time to under stand a lot of things. I did not have the best of childhood then I had to be a mom before I was ready. I am not making an excuse for your mom. She had other options we all do. It is what you do with your life that counts. I learned that the hard way. I hope you get the answers you are looking for. My son has been abanded by his dad but he stays in plan sight and tells him he dose not want him. Jaycob will be 11 and he too will have hard ships. He all ready has been throgh a lot but there will be more to come and all I can do is stay by his side. You are loved and so is my son Jaycob. Look into your heart you will know what to do.

May 22, 2006, 10:26 pm CDT

abandoned

Hello I have a simular story.I was 4 years old and we were at my aunts house she had older children I was 4 and they were like 12 and 14.Well long story short I was brutally molested by my cousins.I told my mom and she told me don't tell your father it will cause family problems.Well at 4 I didn't know so I didn'tb tell my dad I thought I would get in trouble.My mom would still leave me at my aunts house for 2-5 days at a time.I say brutally raped because I was not only molested by there private parts but with curling irons and sticks stuff like that.This went on untill I was 12 and I had to take health in school thats when I learned that this was not normal.I told them if they touched me again I was going to tell thats how it stopped.Well years went by and I got pregnant at 14 I was a daady's girl all the way.My dad died 2 weeks before I had my oldest son.Then it was me ,my mom,and my baby.Some more years went by I got married my mom lived with us I had more kids and my mom got real sick had a stroke and I took care of her wiped her bathed her feed her everything my 2 siblings would not help so i did it all.My mom died when I was 21 years old.I never ever asked her why she did nothing and why she kept leaving me there I wish I would have asked her.I feel like I did something bad or she hated me and that was my punishment.Both my parents died in my house in front of me I feel like that was a punishment to.Well enough about that.I was never abandoned but sometimes I wish I would have and except for my dad I wish I would have been abandoned and raised by a different family. 

Keep well all and GOD BLESS 

Kimberly  

May 22, 2006, 11:35 pm CDT

jail the mole

I have never heard of anything so EVIL.  Why only the one child and not leave them together...Why at a park like a savage dog.  Thats just not legal, not even for a dog.  

I cant wait to see the show but i can already know that there is no excuse in the world.   

I know of stories of people leaving their children behind in third world countries, during times of war and poverty but not in America????  

I really hope seeing that mole made a better man out of you.   

I hope to find out what happened to your sister and what kind of life she had.  

May 23, 2006, 12:08 am CDT

This is one of the worst things ever!

No child should ever be treated so badly.  I just hope you can get over it and that you have a lot of love and support from others.  My mother left my half-sister who was just an infant and I in a strange town, in a vacant house with baby formula, but no food for me for 3 days.  I was 11 and too afraid of what she would do if I went out and talked to anyone, neighbors or police.  As an adult, I know that she is emotionally ill and neither my sister nor I have a relationship with her.  Mother never got better even after we were grown up.  It's sad, but I went on to have a good career and nice son of my own.  My parents were divorced when this abandonment also abuse happened so my Dad didn't know about it because he married a woman who wouldn't let him visit me. 

Anyway, I wish you the best.  Recommend you keep company with really nice, supportative people.  God bless you and my very best wishes to you. 

May 23, 2006, 4:32 am CDT

Abandoned

Quote From: mtnt799

i to know how he feels my mom left us us  at any early age and my dad was a drunk who was murdered at the age of 39.  my mom was a alcoholic as well and gave us up. identical twin daughers and to brothers.  we were so young,12, 10 and 4.  she had no clarity and gave us up to a child molester.  who for the next ten to 13 years made our lives hell.  I was one of the twins and was seperated from my sister for over seven years, while i did not have to endure the sexual abuse by him as my brothers did i did  however had to endure the physical and emotional abuse.  My sister was kicked out out the house at age 13 and I was not allowed to speak to her until I was 21 years of age.  Not being allwoed to speak to her and being beat almost every day and told it is your fault ways pretty hard on a kid.  along with having to keep the secret of what was happening to your brothers.  seven years is a long time to be seperated for your twin sister.  a little of 25 years has passed now and the four of us are closer then ever,  we have in some ways worked through it  we almost never speak about it,it is still sometimes just to painfull, but we are all together.
 I was fortunate as a child; even tho I lost my mother when I was 13 to death-she left us after open heart surgery.  Myself & 3 older siblings were my mom's whole world and she was the best mother in the world; but I still felt anger and resentment to a woman who had no control over leaving us!!!  After my brother in law sexually abused me; and my sister did not believe me; I moved in with my moms best friends and they finished raising me; I do not know WHAT I would have done without them.  My life would have been over, so it's not like I was dumped off somewhere-but there was SO MUCH fighting in my family, (sister & step father) over who was going to keep me because I had death benefits coming in from my mother.  And, that is all they wanted was the monthly check, never cared about me!!
But, I must admit-I do agree with the one letter that was sent in; when the mother left the children were dropped off at this one place; where the children WERE safe-it's better than the mother beating them or abusing them in God knows what other ways!!  Not saying what she did was right, but maybe for reasons none of us know she felt she had no other way.  And, as for the person that was seperated from her twin, and other siblings until she was 21-what about the age of 18??  That seems a bit strange; any state the age that you can legally go on your own is 18 so why did you wait until 21??  And, the other one that was left with her grandma with 4 other siblings-how were you left to raise them when you were with your grandma??  I couldn't understand that one either.
I feel so sorry for all of you being abandoned; but I don't understand some of these stories. Please do not be mad at me-but it's just hard for me.  I also came from a home where my father was an alcoholic; and before my mom died my parents were astranged and my father wanted nothing to do with me; so I really do understand alot more than most of you realize.
Again, my heart goes out to all of you!!

May 23, 2006, 4:42 am CDT

Abandoned

My heart SO GOES out to that little 10 yr old boy when his mom left him in the park.  In that case, if the mom could NOT take care of him, take him to a Police Station, Hospital, or local church-they ask no questions.  Just tell them you can not take care of this poor child anymore and they will take over from there; or even just put him on the steps and have him go in on his own-but NEVER leave him alone in a place.  That was just cruel and inhumane treatment, and unbelieveable.  I have 2 daughters and I can't imagine ever doing something like that to either of them!!!  Being a single mom was not an easy job, but that is the job you take on when you give birth.  Whether it is with a father to help; or if he takes off and you are left with the kids-it is still your responsibility.
I am very sorry for what you have been thru; my heart goes out to you!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last