Message Boards

Topic : 08/10 Abandoned

Number of Replies: 533
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 19, 2006, 10:11:45 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/23/06) Imagine being 10 years old, going to the park with your mother and sister and before you know it, you're alone and must fend for yourself. Michael was abandoned at a park carousel 22 years ago, and life as he knew it ended there. He has never stopped searching for his mother and sister, but he's been unable to find any trace of them. When Dr. Phil connects him with a private investigator, his whole world changes again. See what happens when he confronts the woman who abandoned him more than two decades ago. Will he get the answers he's looking for? Was his mother searching for him, and is she the same woman he remembers? Michael also learns some shocking news about his sister. Then, Dr. Phil surprises Michael with two women who never gave up their quest to find him. And, meet the amazing people Michael now calls Mom and Dad. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 23, 2006, 4:45 am CDT

I feel your pain

I was abandoned at the age of 10.  The old joke "my parents moved and forgot to tell me" is not a joke to me.  This is what happened to me.  My mother took my sister and I to our grandparents home for a weekend visit.  When they took us home the house was empty and there was a note of the front door.  In a nut shell the note said to do with us what ever my grandparents saw fit.  We didn't know where she was for years.  We were finally reunited and it took me what seems like a lifetime to get through the abandonment.  I believe that my sister still struggles.    

There is hope!  What my mother did was nothing that I would thank her for.  But it was the best thing for me.  I don't and won't believe that she knew that this was the best thing.  I think it was selfish of her.  She died almost 2 yrs ago.  I made she that she knew that I forgave her.  It was as important to me to tell her as it was for her to hear it.  I also put the letter that was on the front door that day in the casket with her.  I felt that this mistake needed to be buried and now it is.    

May 23, 2006, 5:38 am CDT

Micheal

Sorry to hear what happen to you. Have a 10 year old grandson not sure what i would do if my son and daughter in law abandoned him. He is the light of my life.  

Glad to hear that someone was looking for you has you where looking for them.  

May God bless you and be there for you.  

Red  

May 23, 2006, 5:49 am CDT

We are foster parents/nice to hear a happy ending

HI Michael,  We have been foster parents since 1982 in Massachusetts, our "kids" often resent the boundries we've set.  It's great to hear of success stories where foster parent Families have changed the course of a life for the better.  We congratulate you and your parents for hanging on to each other's love.  So often we meet with nay sayers who think we are crazy taking children into our home and hearts long after our own children have left home.  Our nest will never be empty!  Our home moto is "The past was theirs THE FUTURE IS OURS" Thank you for your success. Rod, Elaine and Family

May 23, 2006, 5:57 am CDT

Congratulations!

You know it's easy to be a good parent when you have a good example to follow.  Being a good parent or spouse when you come from a background like yours is so much harder.  Your lovely wife and gorgeous children are a credit to the beautiful person that you are.  You have come so far and I am so pleased that you have a great life now.  Keep living and loving - you are a man whose life is destined to be full of love and happiness.

May 23, 2006, 6:04 am CDT

There is no excuse whats so ever

What Michael's egg donor did was deplorable and evil.  I have a four month old daughter and a nine year old step daughter, and I would throw myself in front of a speeding train to keep them safe. 

As I read the transcript, I tried to imagine never seeing there little faces again and I can't even fathom that.  This morning my baby was feeling particulary "frisky" and she was smiling and cooing and doing the high kick like a Rockett.  These are magical moments and I have a physical need to be part of every second of it. 

I think this woman is a complete piece of garbage and I wish I could tell her that to her face. 

May 23, 2006, 6:13 am CDT

Better Off Without Her

I have seen the previews for this show and Michael, you were better off without her. She WAS your mother. I can understand how it could be overwelming with what ever her situation was, but she left you at a carousal and kept your sister! This is simply a heartless woman who didn't want you. Who knows what could have happened to you. She obviously didn't care. 

I believe there is only going to be anger in this episode and after you can find out what ever you need to from her, just let it go. You can't spend any more time trying to figure out what she did and why. I don't think you'll ever get the answers anyway. From the previews, she is willing to sit and talk with you, but it seems like she wants to just get it done and over with. 

May 23, 2006, 6:40 am CDT

Traumatizsed

We know that everyone is different and some people can not take care of children no matter how much they love them. Loving your child doesn't mean you'll treat them right or what is right anyway? One generation will spoil and the next will neglect. Some psychologist's new  ideas this year will cause a title wave of furry in ten years from now when it didn't work. Unfortunately not all kids are born to good parents. This has nothing to do with the kids. Leaving a child in a park even in  a good neighborhood is a horrible way to get help but that's the way the mom chose to do it. She took her frustrations out on her son because of her own problems. He was lucky to have been taken care of afterwords and probably had a better life. I don't think he blames himself. His grandparents are probably to blame but society is also to blame. Why look for someone to blame anyway? He's been blessed with a wife and family and he loves his kids..Even so he still  feels abandoned and this has affected his relationships with his own kids. People are smart enough to learn by their experiences. He has learned that being abandoned hurts.. He knows the pain of being abandoned so he wouldn't do it to his kids..It is important that he gets help to deal with the empty nest coming in the future because he will not deal with that so easily.

May 23, 2006, 6:43 am CDT

its hard to believe.

Sitting here watching this show on t.v., I am appauled at the way this woman could still lie after 22 years.  I can't fathom what you have gone through and hope you can get your life together with out her.  I personally, woman or not, would have gotten up and hit her.  I would have not been able to keep my temper.  I give you a lot of credit for being able to keep your cool and not being able to totally bug out on her.  You have my best wishes. 

May 23, 2006, 6:54 am CDT

Michael

I can not say I know  how you feel...!!!  I can say it does hurt my heart to see you on this show...!!! YOU ARE A BEAUTIFUL MAN.... and you are a better man for not having to grow up with this woman..!!! you are a survivor , you are a miracle! you are truly blessed ....I can't even imagine what trauma you went through as a child to be left that way... But I can't help but think you might have been better of not living your life in the hands of this evil woman... 

I can see you have a sweet spirit  inside you .....and know your family is not the people who gave birth to you its the people who LOVE YOU!!!!!!   Take the good leave the bad behind...you have so much more than that woman will ever have....GOD BLESS YOU MICHAEL your WIFE & KIDS. 

May 23, 2006, 7:12 am CDT

Not fair

It wasn't fair to you that your mother did that to you.   There are lots to people in today's society that can help in situations of stress.  Leaving your child to fend for themselfs is not a solution.  I was a teenage mother at 17 and raised my child, who is 19 years of age today.  At the time that I pregnant, I also knew that if it was going to be to much for me to handle, I was going to give her up for adoption.  I hope you can resolve with your birth mother how you feel.  So you can feel good in your life.  Good luck.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last