Message Boards

Topic : 08/10 Abandoned

Number of Replies: 533
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 19, 2006, 10:11:45 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/23/06) Imagine being 10 years old, going to the park with your mother and sister and before you know it, you're alone and must fend for yourself. Michael was abandoned at a park carousel 22 years ago, and life as he knew it ended there. He has never stopped searching for his mother and sister, but he's been unable to find any trace of them. When Dr. Phil connects him with a private investigator, his whole world changes again. See what happens when he confronts the woman who abandoned him more than two decades ago. Will he get the answers he's looking for? Was his mother searching for him, and is she the same woman he remembers? Michael also learns some shocking news about his sister. Then, Dr. Phil surprises Michael with two women who never gave up their quest to find him. And, meet the amazing people Michael now calls Mom and Dad. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 22, 2006, 8:13 am CDT

I know how you feel!

Michael I know  how you feel, I was dropped off at my mom's friends house and she never came back after my sister and I. That opened the door to years of sexual, physical and emotional abuse. I have never seen nor heard from her since. This should be a good show and I am looking forwards to seeing it..........Nora

May 22, 2006, 8:45 am CDT

ABANDONED2

I along with 5 other siblings were abandoned by our mother in 1987. My mother went to a bar met some guy and ditched us at some strangers house where our father could not find us for almost six months. Because he had a photo of one of us with him it was placed on the milk cartons and while we were in school they noticed it was us and contacted the police and our dad.  I still am very angry at our mother for what she has done but I will never forget how much of a better person I am from it happening.  I believe she is well and in contact with one of my other sisters but I have expressed how much I never want that woman in my life and they have told her this and I believe she doesn't even regret how much she has hurt us/ME! I have three wonderful children and they ( if I have any thing to do about it)  will never have contact. I tell them I don't have a mother.

May 22, 2006, 10:36 am CDT

05/23 Abandoned

noraann and becamadmom...I am so sorry that happened to you...wow. That breaks my heart completely.

The commercials to this show choked me up. That poor man. I can't imagine the issues this has caused you.

I'm just so so sorry...

May 22, 2006, 1:14 pm CDT

Encouraging sensationalizm

I can not imagine being abandoned.  From the video trailers previewing  tuesdays show I do feel the show is being sensational.  Perhaps it is merely improved media reporting methods but there is an ever increasing number of reports of parents committing horrendous crimes upon their helpless children.  When a parent feels they cannot cope with a child or children and resorts to abandoning them is that not better than assaulting or killing them?  Try looking at the positive side of the event.  My mood is 'stressed' and my 'Emote' shows 'upset' at the show, NOT the action of the parent.  It is also not fair to judge today what happened many years ago, the people and circumstances are different!!

May 22, 2006, 2:17 pm CDT

awwwww....

Quote From: purplepain

noraann and becamadmom...I am so sorry that happened to you...wow. That breaks my heart completely.

The commercials to this show choked me up. That poor man. I can't imagine the issues this has caused you.

I'm just so so sorry...
 Thank you for caring. I have had a REALLY yucky life. It makes peoples tummy roll,  but it has made me the person I am today. I have posted on the other boards about my life to help others about abuse. I want to get back into public speaking again to help the public understand and be more aware. There were so many paths my sister and I could have taken, but we turned out pretty good. (we had an angel from up above to carry us through) And God, he is the man! LOL.......you to Dr Phil!

May 22, 2006, 3:40 pm CDT

Been there too

Helle My name is Christina and i kind of know what you are feeling. I was left by my mother when I was 15 years old. I lived with her in Texas and then she sent me to Minnesota when I was 15. She told me that she would come for me in 30 days. Well I have not seen her since. I think about what it was that I could have done to make her want to stay with me. But as much as it hurts to this day. I hope that she knows how much It hurt. She missed out on me and all of my life. I also know that I might not have live through all that I have if it hadn't been for her. I know that it is answers to the questions that we were never given a chance to ask that hurt the most. But if you are to live with yourself wiithout doubt as to who you are. You need to forgive yourself. The blame that you carry in your heart is not worth it. You also have to forgive her. She was the one that made the choise to leave not you. but the one reason that you might think about forgiving her. Is because in order for you to move forward to your life is to take the control she has over you. You can choose the life that you live from now on not her. I don't know how I would had grown up had she stayed in my life. But I do know that it was because of her that i grew up surviving and going.  I guess I don't have a lot of advise. But don't give up. I have not been able to find my mother. So since you have ask her questions. Tell her what it was that she miss out on by not having you in her life. I know that I am the one that has enjoyed too many things. Things that i refuse to let her keep from enjoying.

May 22, 2006, 3:50 pm CDT

How can anyone do that??

There are so many people out there who want to adopt a child whether it be a baby or older.. There is no reason why kids should be abandoned. What if somone bad had gotten him and hurt him?
I was never able to get pregnant and have a baby so I am just so furious when I hear about people  

hurting kids or abandoning them and then they just go on with their lives like the child was never even born.. They are real living breathing little persons and they have the right to have a happy home just like everyone else does. I hope he did get adopted and have a great life without his "bio mom" and I hope his sister is OK.  

May 22, 2006, 5:33 pm CDT

I know how you feel I have been there in a different way

I know how it feels. My mother took me and four of my siblings and said we were leaving my father once and for all. We drove and she picked up a boyfriend and then dropped us off at her mothers house and never came back to get us or see us. Me being the oldest 12 with a three month old sister, four year old sister, six year old brother, and a eleven year old sister . I raised them all. I to this day have only seen her maybe four times and have asked her why and she does not give me an answer except that I could not take it. But God is good and all is well I don't need her in my life. You will get through this.  There was allot more going on with that said but that is enough for now. Julie Barraza

May 22, 2006, 6:06 pm CDT

05/23 Abandoned

Michael, I am so sorry to hear that a mother would do such a thing.  I have a 10 year old son, and my husband and I cannot remember our lives before our son.

May 22, 2006, 6:41 pm CDT

Abandoned

I cannot imagine what you have gone through in your life. I hope you know that Jesus loves you and will NEVER abandon you. I hope that your story can help other people in your situation. My son is now 13 years old. His biological father abandoned him when he was just 3 years old. He has suffered severe mental distress because of the actions of his father, and has been in therapy for years. Fortunately for my son, he does have a mother who loves him. However, when one has been abandoned by either parent, the pain goes very deep. Perhaps your story will give my son hope! I will definitely be tuning in to Dr. Phil tomorrow morning!!!  I know it's going to be a tear-jerker.  

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last