Message Boards

Topic : The Best Baby Advice I Got

Number of Replies: 81
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:58:34 pm
Author : dataimport
Everyone's got advice when a baby's in tow. What's the best advice you've ever received?

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 3, 2006, 3:48 pm CDT

Runny or blocked nose

Whenever your baby has difficult breathing due to a blocked nose, take a bit of petroleum jelly (vaseline) an put it on the bridge of the nose. Somehow this creates pressure and the nose will automatically push out the excess stuffies. Trust me, my baby was born 11 weeks too early and I had to use old granny meds.

June 7, 2006, 11:17 am CDT

The Best Baby Advice I Got

Quote From: mindy737

My two year old son does not listen to me at all!!! I can sit down and try to talk to him and he laughs at me. When I try to discipline him  he runs and says "ha ha"  and that only makes matters worse. My husband and I have tried takeing away Spongebob cartoons, we have even gone as far as putting  him in the corner and spanked him that does not work either. I think the problem with spanking is that it hurts his feeling more than anything. The other problem I have is wining it seems to never stop with him. He cries and wines for everything wither it is for a hot dog or his markers. I have tried to talk to him in a quite manner i have tried to tell him he has to wait a minute then it really gets worse.  I also have a six week old baby which he seems to be ok with. When he wakes up in the morning he will ask me "Where is baby sister?" He wants to hold her and love on her. Do you think he acting out more now that the baby is here? Any help would be very helpful. I do not know where else to turn.   

My son is only 1 and he was doing the same thing.  I just ignore him when he has tantrims.  He isnt walking well yet but he crawls away.  I think its like a game to him.  Just dont play the game.  I spanked my son once and I felt so guilty I dont do it anymore.  I just wouldnt feed into his antics.  He may just be acting out.  I wish you luck it could also just be terrible 2's .  Your son is adorable 

June 7, 2006, 11:26 am CDT

Quote From: kyzmiaz112

HELPPP!!!!!!! My 11 week old has had Laryngomalacia since he was a few weeks old and I know there is no cure for it and it does get better for the time being I just need an ear. Laryngomalacia is softening of the cartilage in the windpipe and makes it hard to breathe at times. Babies with this make a sound as if you are blowing air into their face. My son's Dr. says crying can make it worse. It has been very frustrating at first trying to explain the sound to the Dr. and of course when I would take my son to the Dr. he wouldn't do it while the Dr. was in the room, then for my son's 2 month check up my son sounded like he was congested but the Dr. FINALLY heard him and said it was this laryngomalacia. I know it will get better but in the mean time I am tired I love my son more then anything and wish this condition would go away NOW but for now I am making sure he doesn't cry and always making him happy like I normally would. It makes it harder because he only takes one morning nap then through out the day he takes 10 minute cat naps. Any kind of shopping is done very close to home because he is a little man and HATES shopping. I do nurse him which makes it hard for him to breathe when he is feeding and a typical feeding lasts 40 minutes but with his breathing the way it is we are sitting for an hour and a half. Going out side with him is also starting to get difficult if he is in his car seat and I put a blanket over his seat he starts to have shortness of breath. If anyone has any information PLEASE feel free to HELP please. 

I am unfamiliar with laryngomalacia.  I to had problems with my son sleeping when I nursed him once I put him on the formula his naps were better.  Your son should be on a nebulizer machine.  My son had RSV and is still on a breathing machine because the RSV had opened up his asthma.  I didnt know he had it.  Instead of putting a blanket over the carseat put a sheet they are thinner and can help more air move through.  My little man loved shopping when he was younger.  Try putting him in the basket part of the shopping cart it will rock him right to sleep.  I wish you luck .

June 7, 2006, 11:28 am CDT

Quote From: nutmeg24

I have a 2 month old daughter and I am getting ready to go back to work :(    My husband and I want to keep her on breast milk, but I dont know how I am going to be able to work that out.  How did some of you do this?  

Pump a lot of milk and freeze it that way it dont go bad and whoever is watching your daughter can just warm it up.  Refrigerated it last I think 2 days but it can last up to weeks in the freezer.

June 7, 2006, 11:30 am CDT

Quote From: danaleigh

I used Karo syrup for my daughter as well.  However, I should tell you, her doctor yelled at me, and made me feel like a horrible mother.  He said NEVER do that before they are over a year old because it could cause botulism.
My doctor yelled at me for karo syrup to.  She showed me a neat trick if you take a q tip and some vasaline adn rub it on the inside of there bottom.  They almost instantly go

June 12, 2006, 5:20 pm CDT

Quote From: amanda332

Pump a lot of milk and freeze it that way it dont go bad and whoever is watching your daughter can just warm it up.  Refrigerated it last I think 2 days but it can last up to weeks in the freezer.
I tried to pump, but I can't seem to get much.. so I think we are going to wheen her off breast milk and start formula.. Thank you for your advice. I think it is just going to be too hard to breastfeed and work at the same time.

June 13, 2006, 11:29 am CDT

Terrible Toddler Times

My son is only 1 and he was doing the same thing.  I just ignore him when he has tantrims.  He isnt walking well yet but he crawls away.  I think its like a game to him.  Just dont play the game.  I spanked my son once and I felt so guilty I dont do it anymore.  I just wouldnt feed into his antics.  He may just be acting out.  I wish you luck it could also just be terrible 2's .  Your son is adorable 

I myself have a 20 month old boy and a 3 month old little girl. This past week we had a serious situation at daycare with biting. He bit 3 times and broke the skin each time. I told the daycare that I am lost cause he will not bite at home or in my company and I do not know what to do to make him stop while he is there. I am sure he does this to get attention, or initiate conversation with other children but in our home I discipline which is why he knows he can't get away with that behavior when mom is around. I also have a problem with him thinking everything is funny. I will spank him for hitting his siter and he laughs. Everyone says he is acting out cause of the baby but he loves on her, is always helpful, and for the most part she sleeps a lot so I still spend a lot of time with him. I honestly am also lost at what to do. The whining is an issue as well....I just tell him to stop and I tune him out and after a minute he finds a toy that interests him and he is happy again.   

I thought infants were confusing but 2 babies in 2 years.....that is very confusing.   

:):)  

June 14, 2006, 2:38 pm CDT

advice

When my son doesn't  listen and  I look him him right in the eyes for 30 sec or less that gets my point  across that his not to do that.

June 14, 2006, 2:47 pm CDT

colic

Quote From: mom_ev

my first daughter had colic, and boy is it hard to see your baby like that! I new the time period when her colic would come I had a routine that I would do every time. It was all about making her tummy warm and snug. Rub her stomach in a circular motion with some olive oil and wrap her stomach with a recieiving blanket, then wrap her tightly in a blanket. Give her somem humpries you can get them from the pharmacy they are all natural made with chamomile. make her some warm water with chamomile tea. hold her tight and rock her. good luck I hope the colic goes away soon.  

p.s. I also changed my daghters formula and it helps so much.  

My son has colic and    I cut   back on dairy  and gave him 4 oz of soy formula   with colic med mix in every day. That has       help allot. Also to relive gas bend his legs and push them up to his tummy in tell the gas is gone.

June 18, 2006, 10:40 am CDT

Colic

Quote From: brenda24

My son has colic and    I cut   back on dairy  and gave him 4 oz of soy formula   with colic med mix in every day. That has       help allot. Also to relive gas bend his legs and push them up to his tummy in tell the gas is gone.
My son had colic for the first 4-5 months and come to find out they changed his bottles/formula then found out at about 6-8 wks that he had acid reflux, the medicine Zantac helped alot but there was always sreaming fits that you couldn't pay me enough to go back to that age.  he is 7 months old and it is alot better I just have to be careful what he gets to eat.  I love him dearly but colic/acid reflux is a very hard thing to deal with especially being a stay at home mom.  But I wouldn't change having him for anything.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last