Message Boards

Topic : The Best Baby Advice I Got

Number of Replies: 81
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:58:34 pm
Author : dataimport
Everyone's got advice when a baby's in tow. What's the best advice you've ever received?

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 28, 2006, 3:05 pm CDT

Colic

Quote From: rwc2002

My nephew had colic for 3 months, trust me we all helped out in shifts!!! Anyway, the best thing we found that worked is to wrap a heating pad in a towel and lay it across their belly, then wrap them very snug in a blanket. PLEASE BE VERY CAUTIOUS WITH THE HEATING PAD!! It seemed like the warmer he was the better he felt......this may not work for everybody, but it definitly gave US some relief!!!!!

My daughter started being colicky after just two weeks and I still remember that awful scream of pain. By her third bout of colicky cry  and I had tried every known method of relief as suggested by all well meaning people and nothing helped. I did some research on colic. This is what I found.

When babies cry air is drawn automatically into their tummies. So the more a baby cries the more wind she has. This cycle can go on for hours (as happenend in my case). The best way to stop this cycle is stop her from drawing air. So at the first sign of her impending cry I would stuff my breast in her mouth blocking any air from entering. It worked. The second thing I found is that the more alert the baby the more stimulated she can get which can then bring on the colicky behaviour.. So for the first month i always had dim lights and soft music and kept my baby from getting over stimulated. My baby stopped being colicky after doing all this after a week.

September 12, 2006, 2:31 pm CDT

The Best Baby Advice I Got

Quote From: lamyawilson

My daughter started being colicky after just two weeks and I still remember that awful scream of pain. By her third bout of colicky cry  and I had tried every known method of relief as suggested by all well meaning people and nothing helped. I did some research on colic. This is what I found.

When babies cry air is drawn automatically into their tummies. So the more a baby cries the more wind she has. This cycle can go on for hours (as happenend in my case). The best way to stop this cycle is stop her from drawing air. So at the first sign of her impending cry I would stuff my breast in her mouth blocking any air from entering. It worked. The second thing I found is that the more alert the baby the more stimulated she can get which can then bring on the colicky behaviour.. So for the first month i always had dim lights and soft music and kept my baby from getting over stimulated. My baby stopped being colicky after doing all this after a week.

my brother was cloic and my german grandmother mixed a few drops of peppermint extract with warm formula or water and it soothed him well.She said colic was a cold in his tummy.another method i might try is a new product called the tummy soother.it is a belt that velcros around the babys tummy and can be very soothing.

September 12, 2006, 2:36 pm CDT

confused!!

I am a navywife and stay at home mom of a 21 month old boy.I am also 31 weeks pregnant with my second boy.I am due in november and I know the changes will effect my 21month old.My husband has recently returned from a 6 month deployment and my son has seriouse seperation anxiety.My husbands family is going on a five day cruiz just a few weeks after I deliver my baby and he wants to tqake my 21 month old on the cruiz.I wont be attending the cruiz due to just having a baby and I am affraid that my older son will have a very hard time being away from mommy for five days when I have been the one consistent person in his life.What should I do?

September 17, 2006, 8:43 pm CDT

Quote From: beth2001

Hey, is anyone familiar with a hemangioma or a venous malformation and do you know someone who has one because my son has one and would like some support and people to talk to that know what I am talking about?
hi! My son too had a hemangioma. Where is your sons located?

September 17, 2006, 8:45 pm CDT

Quote From: beth2001

Hey, is anyone familiar with a hemangioma or a venous malformation and do you know someone who has one because my son has one and would like some support and people to talk to that know what I am talking about?
hi! My son too had a hemangioma. Where is your sons located?

September 20, 2006, 5:57 am CDT

Quote From: mommy2travis

I am a navywife and stay at home mom of a 21 month old boy.I am also 31 weeks pregnant with my second boy.I am due in november and I know the changes will effect my 21month old.My husband has recently returned from a 6 month deployment and my son has seriouse seperation anxiety.My husbands family is going on a five day cruiz just a few weeks after I deliver my baby and he wants to tqake my 21 month old on the cruiz.I wont be attending the cruiz due to just having a baby and I am affraid that my older son will have a very hard time being away from mommy for five days when I have been the one consistent person in his life.What should I do?
 There isnt alot that can be done, at least in my opinion, about seperation anxiety. My daughter will be 2 in December and we have a very strong bond which grew when she got pertusis (whooping cough) at 6 weeks. The only thing that I have been able to do when I have to leave her is to get onto the same level as her, look her in the eye and tell her that I will be back soon then cuddle her.
Maybe before the cruise try leaving your child for overnight stays at a friend or relatives house, then he will get used to knowing that he will be able to see you again in just a little while.
Hope this helps some

September 28, 2006, 3:56 pm CDT

I dont know if I need advice as much as some one just telling me my 21 month old baby girls crying fits are normal. She has an older brother, guess I should add that. It almost seems like she likes crying. She throws these fits, sometimes even out of no where and there is no consoling her, she doesn't even seem to do it for attention. If you look at her she gets angrier, if you talk to her she gets angrier, she seems like she wants to be held but when u try she screams and pushes away, I try to ignore it, but then she for sure wont calm down. You have to just stay back a bit, say a very few comforting words and stare at her hair or tummy (if you look in her eyes she gets angrier). then all of a sudden shes happy again, just like that! I have been extremely loving and patient with this behaviour but it has been going on since she was about 7 months old and it almost doesnt seem normal. please, any1 with a similar situation or advice pls reply. Thanx. And good luck and congrats to all expectant and new moms.

September 28, 2006, 4:04 pm CDT

haha,didn't realize ur supposed to post the best baby advice u ever got. K, this ones from my mom, with a newborn baby, everytime they are cranky, just nurse. and this one is from me, don't nap whenever baby sleeps because then you will really start to become dependant on those naps just to function in your day. If you take a nap once in a while then that nap will really feel refreshing

October 1, 2006, 11:54 pm CDT

Quote From: mamajen21

I dont know if I need advice as much as some one just telling me my 21 month old baby girls crying fits are normal. She has an older brother, guess I should add that. It almost seems like she likes crying. She throws these fits, sometimes even out of no where and there is no consoling her, she doesn't even seem to do it for attention. If you look at her she gets angrier, if you talk to her she gets angrier, she seems like she wants to be held but when u try she screams and pushes away, I try to ignore it, but then she for sure wont calm down. You have to just stay back a bit, say a very few comforting words and stare at her hair or tummy (if you look in her eyes she gets angrier). then all of a sudden shes happy again, just like that! I have been extremely loving and patient with this behaviour but it has been going on since she was about 7 months old and it almost doesnt seem normal. please, any1 with a similar situation or advice pls reply. Thanx. And good luck and congrats to all expectant and new moms.
There isn't much you can do when a toddler is crying like that. It is normal around the age of two that children can have temper issues because they are discovering what gets them what they want and it is all about them. Two year olds have a certainty of self, they can now recognize themself in a mirror as well as they know where they fit into the family and how to get the family to pay attention to just them. Have you tried saying "we can't talk to you when you behave like this so we will go out of the room until you calm down enough to talk to us properly" Then follow through with leaving the child alone and not taking notice of them, though it isn't recommended you leave them alone for longer than 30 minutes or so.
If you are really worried then visit a GP (general practioner or doctork, sorry don't know if Americans call them GPs like kiwis do) though these days they are often rather quick with saying things like the child may have A.D.H.D or something when it is just part of growing up. Children can be tempramental just like adults can be. They are just learning what works and what doesnt, if you dont let her get away with doing it by ignoring her or something then she will realize this doesnt work and she will move on from it.
Good luck, I hope this helps some

December 5, 2006, 9:03 pm CST

my advise

Quote From: kiwichatterbox

There isn't much you can do when a toddler is crying like that. It is normal around the age of two that children can have temper issues because they are discovering what gets them what they want and it is all about them. Two year olds have a certainty of self, they can now recognize themself in a mirror as well as they know where they fit into the family and how to get the family to pay attention to just them. Have you tried saying "we can't talk to you when you behave like this so we will go out of the room until you calm down enough to talk to us properly" Then follow through with leaving the child alone and not taking notice of them, though it isn't recommended you leave them alone for longer than 30 minutes or so.
If you are really worried then visit a GP (general practioner or doctork, sorry don't know if Americans call them GPs like kiwis do) though these days they are often rather quick with saying things like the child may have A.D.H.D or something when it is just part of growing up. Children can be tempramental just like adults can be. They are just learning what works and what doesnt, if you dont let her get away with doing it by ignoring her or something then she will realize this doesnt work and she will move on from it.
Good luck, I hope this helps some

Look I have a very good baby he will be three in jan but I am preg. again so every since I have got preg. he has acted up so what I do is.....

I dont pay any attention to him when he acts like that because screaming and spanking only make it worse I ignore him when he sees that I dont here him he will get louder but he does give up and he will come to me and I will not say any thing and he will appoligize and be a little angle he does not throw fits like that all the time now his biggest  thing is no matter what he has done he says "my cant help it" that kills me but we deal with it by showing him that he did do it and that he can help it........

MY ADVISE IS..............

PICK YOUR OWN BATTLES WISELY

DO NOT NIT PICK WITH THEM THEY ARE JUST KIDS  AND THEY ARE ONLY KIDS ONCE LET THEM ENJOY......YOU ENJOY TOOO  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last