Message Boards

Topic : The Best Baby Advice I Got

Number of Replies: 81
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:58:34 pm
Author : dataimport
Everyone's got advice when a baby's in tow. What's the best advice you've ever received?

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 8, 2006, 9:17 am CST

oh the joy of colic

Quote From: lpewagoner

I AM A GRANDMOTHER OF A NEW INFANT 1 MO OLD. MY DAUGHTER(MOTHER) IS HAVING A LOT OF TROUBLE DEALING WITH THE BABY COLIC, AND LACK OF SLEEP. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTONS? 
My nephew had colic for when seemed forever.  Heat seems to work really well.  Take the baby's shirt off as well as yours so that the baby gets the bodyheat.  Lie down on the couch, put a blanket over the two of you, and try to get some rest.  I found that as you relax, your baby should relax as well, the colic will calm down, and the two of you can take a nap.  Hope this helps.

February 5, 2007, 12:33 pm CST

Been there, just left.

I AM A GRANDMOTHER OF A NEW INFANT 1 MO OLD. MY DAUGHTER(MOTHER) IS HAVING A LOT OF TROUBLE DEALING WITH THE BABY COLIC, AND LACK OF SLEEP. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTONS? 

My wonderful daughter had a bad case of colic until about 6 weeks of age.  The best thing that worked for her was a warm bath right before bed time.  Also, getting her set up on a routine / schedule that I never wavered from saved my sanity and helped her be less restless.

We finally brought it up to the dr. because I was just about to have a nervous breakdown.  Being a first time mom i didn't think to talk to the dr about our crying daughter.  The dr was able to make her feel better in 24 hours.  Just like that, the colic was gone!  I wish I hadn't waited - I almost feel like I was kinda cheated out of those first weeks. 

Good luck to you and your daughter!!

February 24, 2007, 3:57 pm CST

The Best Baby Advice I Got

Quote From: lacey_3

PLEASE HELP!!   I'm a single mother, and my one year old daughter is very spirited and very busy.  she clearly understands "no", but does it anyway, I am confused on spanking, I don't know what to do! my sister spanked her son, but then he started spanking her! I have to keep her away from certain things, like our dog (mainly she' pulls his tail) the dog so far has been very good around her,  also like stoves, and the tv..but I do not want to let my gaurd down! please, I need any advice  will be much appreciated!!

Lacey

I'm also a single mum with a 2yo and as soon as he could move he was into everything and climbing! I've found most effective is to give short direct instructions in a firm but kind voice. for example most commonly used in my house is " don't touch the bin". My son loves opening the rubbish bin because its where things go, he's curious.

I've used sign from 9mos so I use the 'all gone' sign he knows. But it's a daily occurrence. He knows the boundary but tests it regularly and my response is always consisant and firm.

with other things he used to test, he has since moved away from, like climbing the bookshelf to reach my special books. Each time he would get the books and know they mere my special ones, he would cheekily pretend to read them quickly before I got to him. I would take the book, say it was mummy's special things and don't touch, hand him one of his books and say lets read this. I only have to do that maybe once a month now.

Keep her away from certain things until she has developed impulse control. Right now in her mind she has two functions sight - action. She see's it and touches it to find out what it does, tastes like, moves, she's exploring and discovering her surroundings. As her brain develops it will recognise things easier and won't need to interact so heavily with them. As she develops impulse control she will be able to stop herself and listen to your 'no'.

Right now, she can hear the word but can't stop herself. Around 3-5yo is when they begin self control and not acting on every impulse.

So keep her away or supervised around the dog, tell her the stove is 'hot, hot' and guide her away from it and ask her not to touch the tv and hand her a toy with buttons to push.

Spanking can be avoided if you remain firm, calm, consistant and mostly PATIENT.

Toddlers are the masters of pushing your patience, but eventually your guard can be slowly lowered, just not as soon as we all would like.

February 24, 2007, 4:02 pm CST

Best advice

Two things mothers golden rule,

Never wake a sleepng baby and

if they are somewhere safe but really making a mess "just don't look" Toddlers need space to explore things and play with abandon, we can't put strict rules on them on 'how' to play. You can always clean up but they won't always be little and imaginative. Then teach them the way to tidy after such fun play, it's a skill they need to learn also.

February 28, 2007, 12:19 am CST

Quote From: ariesdragon

Two things mothers golden rule,

Never wake a sleepng baby and

if they are somewhere safe but really making a mess "just don't look" Toddlers need space to explore things and play with abandon, we can't put strict rules on them on 'how' to play. You can always clean up but they won't always be little and imaginative. Then teach them the way to tidy after such fun play, it's a skill they need to learn also.

I totally agree about letting toddlers be toddlers. If they are safe let them be and let that imagination work as hard as it wants. My daughter found our Jenga blocks..at first I was going to take them away..but then I decided to let her have them for a while. No one was hurt and  she really had a good time.

April 10, 2007, 10:29 am CDT

colic

Quote From: rallen

My wonderful daughter had a bad case of colic until about 6 weeks of age.  The best thing that worked for her was a warm bath right before bed time.  Also, getting her set up on a routine / schedule that I never wavered from saved my sanity and helped her be less restless.

We finally brought it up to the dr. because I was just about to have a nervous breakdown.  Being a first time mom i didn't think to talk to the dr about our crying daughter.  The dr was able to make her feel better in 24 hours.  Just like that, the colic was gone!  I wish I hadn't waited - I almost feel like I was kinda cheated out of those first weeks. 

Good luck to you and your daughter!!

My son had colic when he was a baby and he would cry from 9:00 pm to about 12 and we found out taking him to the chiropractor to get adjusted really helped him a lot and he really liked it.  good luck!!

May 14, 2007, 7:07 pm CDT

Quote From: cuddley98

My son had colic when he was a baby and he would cry from 9:00 pm to about 12 and we found out taking him to the chiropractor to get adjusted really helped him a lot and he really liked it.  good luck!!

Wow, I wish I would have known that. My baby had colic for almost 3 months. But she cried from 10pm to almost 3am. It does get better but it will take awhile.

I agree with the other person- let the sleeping sleep! They look so adorable that you want to scoop them and hold them. I did that quite a bit and I am paying for it with an extremely spoiled baby.

May 17, 2007, 5:28 am CDT

My best received advice

The best advice I ever received during pregnancy and in the first few weeks was that newborns do not cry just to piss you off. It saved me so many nights when my son wouldn't stop crying and I was just plain overwhelmed, it kept me from losing my mind knowing that I could help him somehow.

June 11, 2007, 12:06 am CDT

Quote From: cuddley98

I have a 3 year old and a 11 month old... for the past few weeks my 11 month old has being waking up every 3 hours screaming . reading your quote i'm thinking now she may have colic. my son didnt have any of the problems i am now having with my daughter. lack of sleep is driving me insane.....

June 13, 2007, 11:47 pm CDT

Try 'gripe' water.  It is the best thing on the market.  A friend with a colicky baby told us about it.  We used it on our colicky baby and thought that we had found the miracle cure.  After a couple of weeks using it she was a much happier and comfortable baby.  We even checked with our pediatrician first and he said it was great.  If only someone had told us about it with our first.  You can get it at health food stores or some stores have a natural health food section.  It is well worth every penny.  Good luck. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last