Message Boards

Topic : The Best Baby Advice I Got

Number of Replies: 81
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:58:34 pm
Author : dataimport
Everyone's got advice when a baby's in tow. What's the best advice you've ever received?

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 16, 2005, 10:19 pm CST

baby colic

Quote From: rwc2002

My nephew had colic for 3 months, trust me we all helped out in shifts!!! Anyway, the best thing we found that worked is to wrap a heating pad in a towel and lay it across their belly, then wrap them very snug in a blanket. PLEASE BE VERY CAUTIOUS WITH THE HEATING PAD!! It seemed like the warmer he was the better he felt......this may not work for everybody, but it definitly gave US some relief!!!!!
I had read where you could use a heating pad but was unsure how safe it was. I will try wraping it in a towel and see if it works. We do try to keep her wrapped snuggly and hold her close to us when we rock her. Thank you.

November 18, 2005, 2:56 am CST

baby advise

Quote From: mothermoon

I have not ever heard of that book. I am sure it is great, but take it from a real mother. There isnt a book in the world that will give you any advice that is worth a darn..... 

And my real advice.....Do not take in everything you read....No book will be able to teach you anything about being a mom. Not even the ones from real moms.  

I took your advice and ordered the book "happiest baby on the block". I let you know if it helps. 

December 23, 2005, 9:52 pm CST

Mother of 2 with some advice hope it works

Quote From: lpewagoner

I had read where you could use a heating pad but was unsure how safe it was. I will try wraping it in a towel and see if it works. We do try to keep her wrapped snuggly and hold her close to us when we rock her. Thank you.

Hello I'm new to the message board but not to parenting. Used to help take care of my cousins when I was a kid since then I have always loved babies. 

Try this: When the baby has a bottle and you burp them try rubbing their back in a circular motion for a while that should help with the air in their belly. Also try while rubbing putting your hand in a cupping position(as you would fill your palm) and pat the babys back its important to rub from the bottom up so that the air will break apart any bubbles then work their way up to a burp. Please don't use a heating pad they can be so dangerous try a rubber water bottle instead. As long as the baby is in an upright position it will be more comfortable for them. I used to put the baby in a bouncer that helps too, because of the vibration in the bouncer it was soothing to both my children. Hope my advice helped even a little. You could also start massaging the babys belly and back with a little baby oil or lotion, and make it a routine it, usually will soothe their little tummies maybe even put them to sleep.  

January 11, 2006, 10:49 pm CST

help colic through feeding

i breast fed both my girls and with my youngst we thought she had colic so i drank 2-4 cups of aniseed tea. i made it my self, i brought aniseed sedds crushed them put one teaspoon per cup, and brewed it for 10 minutes so it was nice. 

and it seemed to work with her. but warning don't drink too much in one day, the first time i had 6 cups in 3 hrs and it went straight through my daughter and was very messy. but give it a go. anythings worth a try, and it's natural. 

January 12, 2006, 3:46 am CST

baby colic

Thank you for your advice. I have not heard of that formula but will check into it. Hope it works.

Thank you for the help. We started our baby on soy formula and she no longer has the colic. We do haven a problem with constipation. Do know what we can do for this? 

lindaw 

January 12, 2006, 7:42 am CST

The Best Baby Advice I Got

Thank you for the help. We started our baby on soy formula and she no longer has the colic. We do haven a problem with constipation. Do know what we can do for this? 

lindaw 

I have 2 kids when mine always got constipated I always put about 1tbls of that white Karo syrup in their bottle.I also heard that 1teas of warm beer worked for colic. Mine didn't ever have that so I don't know if it works or not but I do know that the Karo syrup does. Wish you the best.

February 8, 2006, 10:29 am CST

Cure for Constipation

Quote From: what2say

I have 2 kids when mine always got constipated I always put about 1tbls of that white Karo syrup in their bottle.I also heard that 1teas of warm beer worked for colic. Mine didn't ever have that so I don't know if it works or not but I do know that the Karo syrup does. Wish you the best.
My son is 3 months old and my daughter is 1 year old, both of them had trouble with constipation.  My grandma told me to put a tablespoon of Molases in their bottles.  I did and it worked.  Grandmas always have a home rememdy for everything

February 26, 2006, 12:24 pm CST

Laryngomalacia

HELPPP!!!!!!! My 11 week old has had Laryngomalacia since he was a few weeks old and I know there is no cure for it and it does get better for the time being I just need an ear. Laryngomalacia is softening of the cartilage in the windpipe and makes it hard to breathe at times. Babies with this make a sound as if you are blowing air into their face. My son's Dr. says crying can make it worse. It has been very frustrating at first trying to explain the sound to the Dr. and of course when I would take my son to the Dr. he wouldn't do it while the Dr. was in the room, then for my son's 2 month check up my son sounded like he was congested but the Dr. FINALLY heard him and said it was this laryngomalacia. I know it will get better but in the mean time I am tired I love my son more then anything and wish this condition would go away NOW but for now I am making sure he doesn't cry and always making him happy like I normally would. It makes it harder because he only takes one morning nap then through out the day he takes 10 minute cat naps. Any kind of shopping is done very close to home because he is a little man and HATES shopping. I do nurse him which makes it hard for him to breathe when he is feeding and a typical feeding lasts 40 minutes but with his breathing the way it is we are sitting for an hour and a half. Going out side with him is also starting to get difficult if he is in his car seat and I put a blanket over his seat he starts to have shortness of breath. If anyone has any information PLEASE feel free to HELP please. 

March 1, 2006, 6:25 pm CST

temper tantrums

My wife and I have a 2 ½  year old son doing very well.  We also have a 9 month old daughter that is not doing so well.  She gets upset very easy and the only way to calm her is a bottle or the best solution is to pick her up.  My wife says she distracts her with food, toys or picking her up but I see it as rewarding her behavior.  Our pediatrician says to try to isolate her when she acts this way and that has not worked.  Some other people say it’s best to pick her up.  That stops the crying but it just comes back at a later time.  My concern is rewarding temper tantrums with anything.  How have some of you delt with a very sensitive baby? 

March 10, 2006, 6:42 am CST

The Best Baby Advice I Got

lindaw 

I'm glad to hear the formula idea worked! I was also going to suggest the "Dr. Brown" natural flow bottle. It REALLY works. Thats all ive ever used for my son, and hes never spit up, never had colic, and lets out some good burps (although sometimes thats not pleasant). I've advised others that were having trouble to use this bottle and now they swear by it.  

I give my son stage 1 prunes about 2 times a week  (it works wonders for cleaning out the system.) but assuming the baby is only 1 month i wouldnt expect you to give her prunes. My friend's son was getting constipated and she asked her doctor about it and she said that if your not putting enough forumla to water, in the bottle it will constipate them. Too much iron could aslo be the cause of that. Is the soy forumla fortified with a lot of iron? 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last