Message Boards

Topic : The Best Baby Advice I Got

Number of Replies: 81
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:58:34 pm
Author : dataimport
Everyone's got advice when a baby's in tow. What's the best advice you've ever received?

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 16, 2006, 9:38 am CST

OT - Postpartum Depression

I am completing an independent study project on Postpartum Depression, at the end of which I will use to educate expecting mothers. To add to my research, I would like to gather information from women who have experienced postpartum depression. If you have experienced postpartum depression and would kindly like to assist me in my research, I would be greatly appreciative. I would like to assure you that your answers will be kept strictly confidential and only used for research purposes, shared between myself and my teacher. Furthermore, there is no need to leave your name or location, you may remain 100% anonymous upon completion. Please email responses to s.tacc@yahoo.ca. Thank you in advance for your responses.

1. What was your emotional state during pregnancy?

2. a) When did you notice your emotional state begin to change?

b) What were the effects of those changes?

3. Prior to delivery were you educated or informed about postpartum depression?

4. a) Did you take any prenatal classes? If no, please proceed to question 5.

b) What was the focus of those classes?

5. At what point did you feel your condition was serious enough to seek treatment? Please explain.

6. Did you have any hesitations about seeking treatment? Please explain.

7. a) How were you treated for postpartum depression?

b) How effective was your treatment method(s)?

8. Do you feel postpartum depression affected the way you interacted with your newborn in any way? If yes, how so? If no, why not?

9. Do you think mothers are aware of the impact of postpartum depression?

10. What advice would you give mothers who are experiencing postpartum depression?

March 24, 2006, 2:27 pm CST

The Best Baby Advice I Got

Quote From: vanjura

My wife and I have a 2 ½  year old son doing very well.  We also have a 9 month old daughter that is not doing so well.  She gets upset very easy and the only way to calm her is a bottle or the best solution is to pick her up.  My wife says she distracts her with food, toys or picking her up but I see it as rewarding her behavior.  Our pediatrician says to try to isolate her when she acts this way and that has not worked.  Some other people say it’s best to pick her up.  That stops the crying but it just comes back at a later time.  My concern is rewarding temper tantrums with anything.  How have some of you delt with a very sensitive baby? 

When my daughter was about 10months old, she had her first temper tantram.  My husband and I pretended that we couldn't see or hear her.  We would continue our conversation like she wasn't  there.  She only tried "throwing a fit"  a couple more times and then she never did it again.  My mother said it  worked for me when I was a baby and my daughter's pediatrician said that the way we handled her behavior was the best and what he would have recommended.  It works.  Although, it is much harder than picking her up and is practically unbearable, but she will stop.   Hang in there, try it , be constant.  Don't try it and then pick her up.  It will only work if you (both parents) don't give in.  I wish you both the best.

March 24, 2006, 2:32 pm CST

The Best Baby Advice I Got

Quote From: michelleb

My son is 3 months old and my daughter is 1 year old, both of them had trouble with constipation.  My grandma told me to put a tablespoon of Molases in their bottles.  I did and it worked.  Grandmas always have a home rememdy for everything
I used Karo syrup for my daughter as well.  However, I should tell you, her doctor yelled at me, and made me feel like a horrible mother.  He said NEVER do that before they are over a year old because it could cause botulism.

April 10, 2006, 8:55 pm CDT

temper tantrums

Quote From: vanjura

My wife and I have a 2 ½  year old son doing very well.  We also have a 9 month old daughter that is not doing so well.  She gets upset very easy and the only way to calm her is a bottle or the best solution is to pick her up.  My wife says she distracts her with food, toys or picking her up but I see it as rewarding her behavior.  Our pediatrician says to try to isolate her when she acts this way and that has not worked.  Some other people say it’s best to pick her up.  That stops the crying but it just comes back at a later time.  My concern is rewarding temper tantrums with anything.  How have some of you delt with a very sensitive baby? 

I'm a mother of 2, with #3 on the way.  My take on it is that 9 month olds don't have much in the way of communication skills.  She obviously needs something from you.  Picking her up isn't spoiliing or "giving in"  it's letting her know you're trying to understand. I feel like isolating a child at that age makes them feel like their feelings are not important to you and that they cannot depend on you. Believe me, I know the emotion of looking at that little creature with the intelligent eyes and feeling like they know exactly what they are doing.  Then reality clicks in and I know at 9 months their social interactive experiences are not nearly as complex as all that. My first was extremely sensitive.  I carried him in a sling most of the time and never failed to respond to his cries.  It was alot of work.  But I have a very happy, socially well adjusted son, who knows he is important to me.  This really worked for us. He is very compassionate towards others.  He has a good handle on his emotions. I feel rewarded now for all that work.  I really enjoyed reading Dr. Sears' books .  Especially the Fussy Baby Book regarding these situations. Even though at times I didn't feel like anything they said was nearly as exhausting as what I was going through.  I felt reaffirmed that I would not be "spoiling" my perfect baby.  Good luck.  That seems like last month and my son is nearly 5.  They are only little for a short time.  It is well worth your while to put in the work now!  My view.  WIth respect.  

April 18, 2006, 9:03 am CDT

"Becoming Babywise"

Right after I had my daughter in April 05, I was so scared. This little crying bundle wouldn't let me sleep and I was worried about what kind of demon she might become if I lost my mind!

A doctor came in to check on me and saw that I had been crying. He offered some advice. He told me to get a book called "Becoming Babywise", I forget the authors. But I got it and followed the advice and my baby is so happy and content. She sleeps from 6pm until 8am everynight and takes a 2 hour nap at noon. Life is predictable and enjoyable.

I haven't read the Dr Phil books, although i would like to, I just don't have the money to spend on them right now. This book is a good alternative. If you follow it, it will work wonders.

May 18, 2006, 11:46 am CDT

helping a colic baby

Quote From: lpewagoner

I AM A GRANDMOTHER OF A NEW INFANT 1 MO OLD. MY DAUGHTER(MOTHER) IS HAVING A LOT OF TROUBLE DEALING WITH THE BABY COLIC, AND LACK OF SLEEP. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTONS? 

my first daughter had colic, and boy is it hard to see your baby like that! I new the time period when her colic would come I had a routine that I would do every time. It was all about making her tummy warm and snug. Rub her stomach in a circular motion with some olive oil and wrap her stomach with a recieiving blanket, then wrap her tightly in a blanket. Give her somem humpries you can get them from the pharmacy they are all natural made with chamomile. make her some warm water with chamomile tea. hold her tight and rock her. good luck I hope the colic goes away soon.  

p.s. I also changed my daghters formula and it helps so much.  

May 19, 2006, 8:27 am CDT

Need help with 2 1/2 year old

My two year old son does not listen to me at all!!! I can sit down and try to talk to him and he laughs at me. When I try to discipline him  he runs and says "ha ha"  and that only makes matters worse. My husband and I have tried takeing away Spongebob cartoons, we have even gone as far as putting  him in the corner and spanked him that does not work either. I think the problem with spanking is that it hurts his feeling more than anything. The other problem I have is wining it seems to never stop with him. He cries and wines for everything wither it is for a hot dog or his markers. I have tried to talk to him in a quite manner i have tried to tell him he has to wait a minute then it really gets worse.  I also have a six week old baby which he seems to be ok with. When he wakes up in the morning he will ask me "Where is baby sister?" He wants to hold her and love on her. Do you think he acting out more now that the baby is here? Any help would be very helpful. I do not know where else to turn.   

May 29, 2006, 6:08 pm CDT

Any advice on how to work and keep my baby on breast milk?

I have a 2 month old daughter and I am getting ready to go back to work :(    My husband and I want to keep her on breast milk, but I dont know how I am going to be able to work that out.  How did some of you do this?  

May 30, 2006, 7:16 am CDT

Baby Books

As a relatively new mom (my son is 9 months old), I read the book, The Happiest Baby on the Block (I read it BEFORE giving birth because who has time after).  It is a fantastic book.  I also read The Baby Whisperer.  Another great book!  Although I have found that I am truly learning as I go along using my own insticnts, it is helpful to have additional resources, such as this book, to go to with questions. 

June 3, 2006, 3:40 pm CDT

constipation

Quote From: danaleigh

I used Karo syrup for my daughter as well.  However, I should tell you, her doctor yelled at me, and made me feel like a horrible mother.  He said NEVER do that before they are over a year old because it could cause botulism.

My baby was born 11 weeks too early and I had no choice but to listen to granny DIY meds. My baby couldn't take in any medicine unless it's herbal because she was extremely underweight. Until this day I still do the same thing, the trick is SUGAR. One spoon in a bottle an hallaluja. I was worried that she would crave sugar and sweets, but her favourites is LEMONS!!!!! 

Good Luck 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last