Message Boards

Topic : The Best Baby Advice I Got

Number of Replies: 81
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:58:34 pm
Author : dataimport
Everyone's got advice when a baby's in tow. What's the best advice you've ever received?

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 18, 2006, 10:46 am CDT

colic

Quote From: mom_ev

my first daughter had colic, and boy is it hard to see your baby like that! I new the time period when her colic would come I had a routine that I would do every time. It was all about making her tummy warm and snug. Rub her stomach in a circular motion with some olive oil and wrap her stomach with a recieiving blanket, then wrap her tightly in a blanket. Give her somem humpries you can get them from the pharmacy they are all natural made with chamomile. make her some warm water with chamomile tea. hold her tight and rock her. good luck I hope the colic goes away soon.  

p.s. I also changed my daghters formula and it helps so much.  

You should have her seen by the doctor because my son had acid reflux and I never knew it because everyone told me that it was colic but until I found it out for the first 6-8 wks my life was horrible and I didn't enjoy him until he got help.

June 18, 2006, 10:52 am CDT

hemangiomas/venous malformations

Hey, is anyone familiar with a hemangioma or a venous malformation and do you know someone who has one because my son has one and would like some support and people to talk to that know what I am talking about?

June 23, 2006, 8:35 pm CDT

I feel your pain

Quote From: brenda24

My son has colic and    I cut   back on dairy  and gave him 4 oz of soy formula   with colic med mix in every day. That has       help allot. Also to relive gas bend his legs and push them up to his tummy in tell the gas is gone.

My first son was born four weeks early and was diagnosed with colic at 6 weeks of age.  At four months of age, he was refusing to nurse and wouldn't even take breast milk in a bottle.  the doctors didn't know what his problem was and i kept getting more and more frustrated.  An upper GI finally showed refux.  they gave me a prescription for zantac, but i didn't notice much of an improvement.  When he turned six months, i finally gave up  the breast milk and introduced him to nutramigen formula.  he got 75% better in a matter of hours.  when my son started on table foods, he broke out in a rash on his face with no other symptoms.  by then, i had a new pediatrician and she ordered some milk allgery tests, they were positive.  I went through eleven moths of this "colic"  for somehting that could have been caught very early on.  Don't hesitate to try  soy/formulas.  

I just had my sencond son four weeks ago.  he is the perfect infant and i have been very comfortable this time.  you just never know what to expect.  best wishes to all of you mothers with colicy babies.    

June 23, 2006, 9:29 pm CDT

try LLL

Quote From: nutmeg24

I have a 2 month old daughter and I am getting ready to go back to work :(    My husband and I want to keep her on breast milk, but I dont know how I am going to be able to work that out.  How did some of you do this?  

If you contact someone in your local LLL they can give you some good pointers on ways to keep giving breastmilk to your baby for as long as you choose to.  You can find them online then find the local group.  Just saw your post.  Hope you can get some info to help.  http://www.lalecheleague.org/

June 28, 2006, 9:53 am CDT

Karo Syrup for Babies

Quote From: danaleigh

I used Karo syrup for my daughter as well.  However, I should tell you, her doctor yelled at me, and made me feel like a horrible mother.  He said NEVER do that before they are over a year old because it could cause botulism.

Don't feel like a horrible mother.  I know so many people that use Karo and it helps.   

What is so funny is that when I called my doctor that is what they told me to do.  My daughter was only 3 months at the time and hadn't had a bowel movement for 4 days.  I called them in panic (1st time mommy) about what to do and the doctor told me to put the Light Karo in her bottle for the next 2 feedings.  He said if that didn't work to do 2 more feedings with Karo the next day and then call them if she didn't go after that.  Well the first bottle did the trick.  I still use it today when she is constipated and she is now 15 months old.   

I've also heard to give a teaspoon or 2 of the juice from fruit cocktail to help.  My cousin swears by it with her daughter.  Another "remedy" that worked very well with my daughter was to feed her pears baby food.  It always did the trick~a little too good at times!  Ha! Ha!  Gotta love those poopy diapers!  

July 17, 2006, 4:29 pm CDT

I am a mother and I loved those books

Quote From: mothermoon

I have not ever heard of that book. I am sure it is great, but take it from a real mother. There isnt a book in the world that will give you any advice that is worth a darn..... 

And my real advice.....Do not take in everything you read....No book will be able to teach you anything about being a mom. Not even the ones from real moms.  

I especially loved The Happiest Baby on the Block. It helped me a ton when my first son was born . It also gave me confidence in what I was doing, which you so need in the begining. Now we have moved on to the Happiesst Todddler on the Block and althought I like that one too, I must admit, the first one was more helpfull.

July 20, 2006, 11:43 am CDT

The Best Baby Advice I Got

I'm a Mom of Twins.  Best advice I got  "get them on the same schedule for everything".   

July 31, 2006, 2:46 pm CDT

I NEED ADVICE!!!

PLEASE HELP!!   I'm a single mother, and my one year old daughter is very spirited and very busy.  she clearly understands "no", but does it anyway, I am confused on spanking, I don't know what to do! my sister spanked her son, but then he started spanking her! I have to keep her away from certain things, like our dog (mainly she' pulls his tail) the dog so far has been very good around her,  also like stoves, and the tv..but I do not want to let my gaurd down! please, I need any advice  will be much appreciated!!

Lacey

July 31, 2006, 7:25 pm CDT

The Best Baby Advice I Got

Quote From: lacey_3

PLEASE HELP!!   I'm a single mother, and my one year old daughter is very spirited and very busy.  she clearly understands "no", but does it anyway, I am confused on spanking, I don't know what to do! my sister spanked her son, but then he started spanking her! I have to keep her away from certain things, like our dog (mainly she' pulls his tail) the dog so far has been very good around her,  also like stoves, and the tv..but I do not want to let my gaurd down! please, I need any advice  will be much appreciated!!

Lacey

She is only 12 months and basically exploring her world and though it gets frustrating and all, telling her "no" and redirecting her attention else where is the thing to do. You have to be consistent and eventually she will understand that you mean "NO". At 12 months, she might understand the word no to a certain point, but in reality, I don't think she has the whole concept, and that is your job as her parent, to teach her........................One thing that always helped my kids was music, the moment I turned on the music, they were (and still are) all ears and their attention was on that.

August 23, 2006, 8:57 pm CDT

best advice???

After considerable thought... I believe the best advice I ever got is "Enjoy this because its the shortest part of life and goes by way too quickly!"  some days it was hard to remember, (We have 7 children the oldest is 23 and youngest 8mths), some days its still hard to remember, lol. But its very true. No matter how many sleepless nights there are, or how many nights of colic or whatever... it ends! And every quickly. 

I weaned our youngest a few weeks ago and already miss that time we shared while I nursed her.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last