Message Boards

Topic : 05/26 Summer Slim

Number of Replies: 566
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 19, 2006, 10:38:31 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The beach, bathing suits and vowing to get in shape -- all signs summer is approaching. Dr. Phil's guests are trying to overcome the roadblocks that keep them from their best bikini bodies. Helen hasn't worn a bathing suit since she was 12. Dr. Phil cameras follow her as she tries on bathing suits for the first time in 30 years. Hear from other women who also have issues wearing swimsuits. Next, Julie has lost 165 pounds, but her husband, Kelly, says she's not skinny enough, and he would be embarrassed if she wore a bathing suit. Kelly says he needs Julie to weigh 150 pounds. Can this marriage survive Kelly's demands? Then, Melissa is getting married in October, so she challenged her sister, Kim, to a friendly weight loss competition, but it's turned into a fierce battle. Both girls will stop at nothing to win. See the antics they use to one-up each other and sabotage each other's efforts. And, Ed wants to be a trophy husband in time for his anniversary this summer. Can he learn to say no to the foods that call his name and tempt his tummy? Plus, big surprises for the guests and audience. Find out how you can get in on the action. If you need to shed some winter weight and slim down before stepping on the beach, this show is for you! Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 22, 2006, 10:16 pm CDT

Summer Time

I too have been preparing for this summer.....in the past 3 years I have lost a total of 148 pounds. 78 of that (and 4 sizes smaller) I have lost since September. I am VERY excited for this summer; not to wear a swimsuit but because my husband-who will have been deployed 12 months--has not saw me since the day he left. I have, on purpose, not told him of my most recent weight loss. I cannot WAIT to see his reaction once he gets off the plane during redeployment!!!!!!!!!!!!! He has always told me how beautiful I am and how much he loves me, even during my heaviest. I love that man!! It was very hard for me to do, but I have stuck it out and conditioned myself into knowing what is good and bad for my body. I have learned what works for other people, may not work for me. Once I found the right angle for me to approach weight loss, I stuck to it. I can still remember the day I weighed in at the doctor's office and was told I was no longer considered obese. That made all my work worth while. I look at my body now and get saddened by what I have done to it. Just today, I recieved a denial letter from insurance that it denied to pay for me to have a tummy tuck. Dag gum it!!! I was SO hoping to get that done BEFORE my husband redeployed....wouldn't that be a shocker for him? LOL! That's okay though....he will still be very surprised.
For the lady whose husband would be embarrassed to see her in a swimsuit, WHY? She is his wife and it should not matter what other's think. I cannot imagine she would wear even a 2 piece so WHO CARES??? The husband should praise her for the hard work she has done loosing the weight. People judge others too much and too often. I sit here typing this and wonder so badly, what does HE look like??? I will be glued to the show for this one! LOL!!!

May 22, 2006, 10:23 pm CDT

Stick to it!

Quote From: dmb1956

I want to lose this weight so badly but I just don't have the will power. I have tried any thing and every thing that I can think of  The only thing that seemed to help me was Nutri System many years back but then my father died and I not only gained the weight back I also gained much more. I am depressed all of the time casue of my weight but because of the depression I eat all the time even when I am not hungry. I stay up until 1:00 am or 2:00 am and I have been known to stay up until 3:00 am just to eat and watch tv. I am married and all this in general has caused a big strain on my marriage but I can t seem to get past it. I have taken on THREE jobs just so I don t eat and I always find the time to eat. I really don t know were to turn next....I have tried counciling and that didn t help either. I have watched shows on diets, I have read books, I have tried Weight Watchers, Nutri System again but nothing seems to help. Any ideas please would be nice.  I have even tried to kid myself into loseing weight for my daughters wedding not for my son to have is wedding vows renewed but nothing is helping

Hello for the one wanting to loose the weight......when I very first began loosing weight, I went through the same...loosing my will power. Then I began looking at myself in the mirror 5 times a day saying to myself....you are worth it. You can do this and be proud of yourself. Guess what? I did it. I have lost a total of 148 pounds. I could still loose about 20 more pounds and now, I am working even harder to do so. Dieting for me was crazy....nothing ever seemed to work. Then I began reading alot. From my own research, I found that it would take a combination of diets to work. My main idea was to cut carbs. Pretty much I eat an omlet every morning.....egg beaters and cheddar cheese. Then for lunch I have either 2 T of peanut butter, or a boiled agg, or a few chunks of cheddar cheese. Then for dinner, I have a smaller portioned meal.....usually a grilled meat on a salad. I stay away from dinner rolls! And.....EXERCISE. I try to do so one hour every day. Some days I get more in than others...... 

Good luck and remember....you are worth it....you can do it!! 

May 23, 2006, 3:27 am CDT

Been There !!!!

Quote From: dmb1956

I want to lose this weight so badly but I just don't have the will power. I have tried any thing and every thing that I can think of  The only thing that seemed to help me was Nutri System many years back but then my father died and I not only gained the weight back I also gained much more. I am depressed all of the time casue of my weight but because of the depression I eat all the time even when I am not hungry. I stay up until 1:00 am or 2:00 am and I have been known to stay up until 3:00 am just to eat and watch tv. I am married and all this in general has caused a big strain on my marriage but I can t seem to get past it. I have taken on THREE jobs just so I don t eat and I always find the time to eat. I really don t know were to turn next....I have tried counciling and that didn t help either. I have watched shows on diets, I have read books, I have tried Weight Watchers, Nutri System again but nothing seems to help. Any ideas please would be nice.  I have even tried to kid myself into loseing weight for my daughters wedding not for my son to have is wedding vows renewed but nothing is helping
I have been where you are emotionally with my weight and how I felt about it. I felt there was nothing I hadn't tried. My mom put me on Nutri System when I was 13. (nice huh ?). I have tried them all, Nutri System, Jenny, Atkins, South Beach, Sommersize, Carbo Addict, Susan Powter, Fit or Fat, cabbage soup.....you name it, I am an expert. My lowest unhealthy weight was 118 (I'm 5'4") when I was 18. I say unhealthy because I took Prolamine and speed to keep from eating. I wore a size 8 and family members hinted that I was heavy (????) My highest weight (non-pregnant) was 250 age 37. I saw an article about a book by  Jorge Cruise called "8 minutes in the morning". I thought to myself..."wow, 8 minutes to exercise ?" Count me in. I got the book and read it. I had my 10 year old son take my picture and my journey began. It wasn't easy at first but I managed and kept looking at my pictures (ugh). My problem with all the other things I tried was that I quit when I didn't see any immediate results. Something clicked in my head with this one and I didn't quit. From January 7 to February 19 I lost one whole size (26/28 to 22/24) I was feeling great and did not want to stop. By December of 2005 I had lost a total of 65lbs the slow healthy way and have kept it off. I now wear a size 18 and want to drop at least another 3 sizes. It is hard and I have to have some self control over my eating but whe I see old pictures of me that really helps. I should also mention that the minute I decided to do this for ME, MYSELF and I, it worked. All of the other times I tried to lose weight I did it for everyone else. They were not the ones here early in the morning making me get up and exercise....I was my own motivator. E-mail me if you want, I really understand what you are going through !

May 23, 2006, 5:53 am CDT

Weight Loss - it's about time!

Dr. Phil:   

You were my weight loss guru and I can't believe how few shows you've had on the subject of weight and weight loss.  Wha happen'?  What about all those losers a few years ago?  Are you ever going to bring them back to show us how they're doing? (Particularly Angela)  Hope so.   

Marnie   

May 23, 2006, 6:16 am CDT

I want to lose...but cant seem to do it

I've been trying since last fall to lose weight.  I was at 287 on Jan first of this year, and I lost down to about 278 at one point, but this mornings weigh in (every monday but I forgot yesterday) was 289.  I feel like bawling.   Dh and I even talked about the possibility of Lap band surgery.   I try to lose, I count calories, I've been walking 2 miles a day 5 days a week for more than 6 wks now with my neighbor, but she's losing weight and Im not.  I had blood work done and my thyroid is good...Im on medicine for it, but its leveled off.  My triglycerides were high, but everything else is fine and the doctor offered very little help on losing weight.   Its extremely hard to cook for a family of 10 and still eat right.  I do, of course, want them all to be healthy, but lets face it...to feed a big family, some of the fillers (bread, potatoes and pasta) are where you can cut costs! 

I know that at some point I will lose weight...or die trying...but I am ever grateful for a husband who tells me regularly that he doesnt care if I do or dont lose weight.  he loves me how I am.  he only talked Lap band with me because he sees how upset I get when Im trying so hard and not losing weight. 

I'll be watching this show with interest. 

May 23, 2006, 6:16 am CDT

holding on

I have lost 160 pounds, but it has been hard for me, my husband is mean to me, he made a remark one day about my weight and called me a fat -----, that was 160 pounds ago !! I would love to get out of this marraige, i am not happy at al, but i won't let him take away the controll i have of my weight, i have worked very hard to get to where i am, and i love the fact i can get the cloths i like now, he all so said about the roll on my stomach, i said to him that is skin, mr know it all, he cuts me down, when he feels bad about him self, he has adrinking problem, and mentell illnes, lucky me. I am trying to keep my head up but some days are hard, i won't go back to the size i was at least i have that much going for me.

May 23, 2006, 7:55 am CDT

Right On!!!!

Quote From: willene

Kelly should be PROUD of Julie losing all that weight and tell her so. I have gained and lost and gained and lost. I lost 70 pounds one time and a girl made fun of me cause of me saying I wasn't  

wearing Queen size pantyhose anymore!! SO up I went again and gained all the weight back. 

I know you should do it for you and not anyone else but it does help that people notice and are 

on your bandwagon cheering you along. I say Julie, wear a bathing suit and SHINE and tell your  

hubby to go jump in a lake!!! 

I agree with that it does help when someone notices when you have lost. I lost over a 100 pounds when Dr. Phil had that weight loss program about 2years ago and then I started looking after my great Grandson right after he was born and I was too tired by the time he would go home so I would just grab something easy and then I would fall asleep. Those are excuses though and I am starting over again. We need positive and encouraging people behind us, not someone who is never happy when we succeed and lose 165. I say great going and keep up the good work!!!!

May 23, 2006, 8:01 am CDT

Yes you CAN do it!!!

Quote From: noraann

......I don't think so. LOL.....I know I need to loose, but I just can't do it. I even looked to see if there is someone in my area to join ranks with, I bought Dr Phil's book, but no one here in my town! I know that part of the reason is medical other part is ME! Guess this is one show I will be watching. Never miss it.

You can do it!!! I lost over 100Lbs and I have put it back on but I am not going to give up. We are too important to ourselves and our families to give up. I don't know where you live but we can email each other here. Don't give up!!!!  

Karilyn  

May 23, 2006, 8:22 am CDT

I´m big woman!

Hi!
I´m a big woman. I don`t know if the weigth of me is ever going go awey. But I´m for now fighting to lose at list 58 kg. Sorry but I don`t know how to translate kg to pounds. But trust me it is alot. I´m 165cm long and need to be about 65 kg. But my weight is 118 kg (heavy!) My depression doesn`t let me to lose the kg I need to lose. But one day maby I lose it.

May 23, 2006, 8:37 am CDT

I feel ,like the Pillsbury Dough Girl!

Quote From: smilee1030

Hello for the one wanting to loose the weight......when I very first began loosing weight, I went through the same...loosing my will power. Then I began looking at myself in the mirror 5 times a day saying to myself....you are worth it. You can do this and be proud of yourself. Guess what? I did it. I have lost a total of 148 pounds. I could still loose about 20 more pounds and now, I am working even harder to do so. Dieting for me was crazy....nothing ever seemed to work. Then I began reading alot. From my own research, I found that it would take a combination of diets to work. My main idea was to cut carbs. Pretty much I eat an omlet every morning.....egg beaters and cheddar cheese. Then for lunch I have either 2 T of peanut butter, or a boiled agg, or a few chunks of cheddar cheese. Then for dinner, I have a smaller portioned meal.....usually a grilled meat on a salad. I stay away from dinner rolls! And.....EXERCISE. I try to do so one hour every day. Some days I get more in than others...... 

Good luck and remember....you are worth it....you can do it!! 

I have 30 lbs of excess Diane on me and would love to get rid of it.  I do not eat enough to have all this weight on me.  Hormones and hysterectomy have reeked havoc on my system.  I have tried natural healing, hormone replacement therapy, anti depressants, only to come back to my Dr. because I felt so bad.  She put me on thyroid medication, and new hormones and Wellbutrin.  Now I am bigger than I have ever been.  I stopped taking all medications and  will be starting with a new nutritionist soon.  He told me that the estrogen I have been on causes weight gain.  Actually, it causes the body to create more fat.  Just what I needed.  I can't button my blouses, and my jeans are so uncomfortable that I want to cry when I get dressed in the morning.  I have been exercising recently and hope that with exercise and nutrition,  perhaps, this time will be the winning combo.  

I am so frustrated I could scream.  I can't stand to look in the mirror and I definitely hate getting dressed any more.  Those full skirts and black tops seem to be my wardrobe of choice.  That is not what I want my existence to be.  Plus, I am alone because I don't feel attractive so therefore, I don't think a man will see me as attractive.   I am looking forward to hearing about weight loss from all the people that feel like I do.  I keep thinking about how fit I was and how I loved to exercise.  When I am depressed, heavy, lethargic and just plain tired, it is hard to get out of bed, nevermind exercise. 

I am not giving up. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last