Message Boards

Topic : 05/26 Summer Slim

Number of Replies: 566
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 19, 2006, 10:38:31 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The beach, bathing suits and vowing to get in shape -- all signs summer is approaching. Dr. Phil's guests are trying to overcome the roadblocks that keep them from their best bikini bodies. Helen hasn't worn a bathing suit since she was 12. Dr. Phil cameras follow her as she tries on bathing suits for the first time in 30 years. Hear from other women who also have issues wearing swimsuits. Next, Julie has lost 165 pounds, but her husband, Kelly, says she's not skinny enough, and he would be embarrassed if she wore a bathing suit. Kelly says he needs Julie to weigh 150 pounds. Can this marriage survive Kelly's demands? Then, Melissa is getting married in October, so she challenged her sister, Kim, to a friendly weight loss competition, but it's turned into a fierce battle. Both girls will stop at nothing to win. See the antics they use to one-up each other and sabotage each other's efforts. And, Ed wants to be a trophy husband in time for his anniversary this summer. Can he learn to say no to the foods that call his name and tempt his tummy? Plus, big surprises for the guests and audience. Find out how you can get in on the action. If you need to shed some winter weight and slim down before stepping on the beach, this show is for you! Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 23, 2006, 8:53 am CDT

weight loss

May 23, 2006, 9:13 am CDT

It's not about dieting

To everyone who's overweight and wants to lose the weight:   

I've been a compulsive overeater since before I can remember stealing the food (age 4 or so?) and have gone from a few pounds over, to borderline anorexic in my early twenties, then back up 60 lbs in my mid twenties, and stayed somewhere between those extremes for the last twenty years. My wisdom and advice?    

First of all, I love the saying "You're only given one body, take it for what it is and make the best of it". If you're short, you can't be tall, etc.  Don't expect to look lose weight and look like a Playboy centerfold, and then go back to eating when you don't look the way you thought you should. I really wish I could go back and erase all the agonizing I did over my weight--I never looked that bad because I always worked out with weights. Focus on being strong and healthy!! And smart and educated!!    

If you learn to have a physical lifestyle, the weight takes care of itself. I am very educated, but my job of choice is much more physical than mental, and I love it! I exercise my mind on MY time, but walk 10-15 miles a shift at work.  

However, if you're depressed or unhappy, you have to be willing to change your whole life before you can expect to lose weight--sad but true. There's a reason that you overeat, and sometimes it's pretty deep inside you. I went to Overeaters Anonymous for more than ten years (age14-26) and THEN got professional therapy for three years. But guess what? When I started having real feelings because I learned that I was a valuable person,  I stopped overeating!   

I can still be an emotional eater now, but to a much lesser degree. Pigging out now is eating one bag of pretzels, not pizza and ice cream for a week or more. And the good news is, I've never really had problems with other addictions because I became aware at such a young age that I had a compulsive personality-- fat shows--you have to deal with it!!    

Learn to like vegetables and fruits, and KEEP THE PORTIONS SMALL AND FREQUENT, and walk everywhere, and focus on being happy and the weight will come off eventually. I promise!!   

May 23, 2006, 9:51 am CDT

LOL......Thanks!

Quote From: karilyn

You can do it!!! I lost over 100Lbs and I have put it back on but I am not going to give up. We are too important to ourselves and our families to give up. I don't know where you live but we can email each other here. Don't give up!!!!  

Karilyn  

Thanks Karilyn!  

I read this and laughed and cried at the same time. I have been writing on some of the other boards but when it comes to my weight I am powerless. I guess I teared up because of seeing that someone does care about me. Thanks.....I started working on this today. I want to feel good and look good. Don't plan to look like a model. Just want to feel good and look good. God gave me this body, it is his Temple, now I have to care enough to take care of it.  

Nora 

May 23, 2006, 10:10 am CDT

is she nuts?

I have seen so many friends of mine lose weight for the wrong reason, A MAN! One of my best friend's lost weight just so that a guy would ask her out, not only did she lose the weight but she became moody and very mean and lost all her friends expect a few. Now that she realized that losing weight for him was never losing friends, she has returned to her old self. I hope Julie realizes that Kelly is not worth it if he keeps telling her to lose weight, what she needs is a real man who won't force her to lose weight. He should be happy with her body no matter what, especially if she is happy with her body. Tell him to leave if he doesn't like your body, Julie...and go out and find a real man who loves you for your mind and heart not your body!

May 23, 2006, 10:28 am CDT

Weight loss is impossible for some of us

I developed a condition called "Polymyalgia Rheumatica" after starting on Dr. Phil's program last year and was sent to a Rheumatologist who perscribed prednizone. I had successfully lost 35 pounds and the doctor told me that I would put all of it back on and then some before I got well. I was going to "show him" but in spite of continuing on the program and excercizing as much as I could under the circumstances (extreme muscle pain 24/7) I have gained 50 pounds and am very discouraged. I will be tapering off the prednizone beginning next month to be off by the end of Sept. and I now have 290 pounds to lose instead of 240. The doctor said "the pounds should start falling off."  We shall see. I've never had that luck before! Good luck to all the rest of you! No one has the right to criticise anyone else because they don't have to live with what each of us have to live with. Abuse of any kind just adds to our problem!

May 23, 2006, 11:51 am CDT

Way to go Nora!!

Quote From: noraann

Thanks Karilyn!  

I read this and laughed and cried at the same time. I have been writing on some of the other boards but when it comes to my weight I am powerless. I guess I teared up because of seeing that someone does care about me. Thanks.....I started working on this today. I want to feel good and look good. Don't plan to look like a model. Just want to feel good and look good. God gave me this body, it is his Temple, now I have to care enough to take care of it.  

Nora 

That's the right attitude, Nora!! Just being here is getting me more upbeat and I am just starting!!! I am definitely going to watch this show. Kelly needs to get HIS priorities straight and give his wife credit for all the weight she has lost. He should be praising her not putting her down. It really helps when you have someone in your corner cheering you on. That's why I am so happy to be back here as everyone is so supportive.  

Have a great day Nora and ALL  

Karilyn  

May 23, 2006, 11:58 am CDT

Don't be discouraged

Quote From: maebird

I developed a condition called "Polymyalgia Rheumatica" after starting on Dr. Phil's program last year and was sent to a Rheumatologist who perscribed prednizone. I had successfully lost 35 pounds and the doctor told me that I would put all of it back on and then some before I got well. I was going to "show him" but in spite of continuing on the program and excercizing as much as I could under the circumstances (extreme muscle pain 24/7) I have gained 50 pounds and am very discouraged. I will be tapering off the prednizone beginning next month to be off by the end of Sept. and I now have 290 pounds to lose instead of 240. The doctor said "the pounds should start falling off."  We shall see. I've never had that luck before! Good luck to all the rest of you! No one has the right to criticise anyone else because they don't have to live with what each of us have to live with. Abuse of any kind just adds to our problem!

The prednizone tends to make you gain weight. I have been on it before and that's what it did to me but when I went off of it I started to lose it again. Keep the faith and remember that we are all here to support you. 

Karilyn 

May 23, 2006, 12:07 pm CDT

05/26 Summer Slim

I have stuggled with my weight for many years and everyday i say to myself today is the day  to start losing  i'm having such a struggle with it its depressing i work straight nights 11-7 and sleep all day so for having 3 meals a day never works i have 1 good meal a day only cause i cook supper for me and the kids.We walk every night but thats about the only time i have for excersing abd i just hope and pray that the kids feel like walking or we dont go  my friends list is very low kids kids kids lol  i thank god i have them but im sure i drive them crazy on this walk thing every night but as long as they love me in the morning hahaha.If anybody out there has any weight loss ideas that might work for a night working  woman please let me know.Thats  desperate.

May 23, 2006, 12:07 pm CDT

Weight Loss Ideas

I have stuggled with my weight for many years and everyday i say to myself today is the day  to start losing  i'm having such a struggle with it its depressing i work straight nights 11-7 and sleep all day so for having 3 meals a day never works i have 1 good meal a day only cause i cook supper for me and the kids.We walk every night but thats about the only time i have for excersing abd i just hope and pray that the kids feel like walking or we dont go  my friends list is very low kids kids kids lol  i thank god i have them but im sure i drive them crazy on this walk thing every night but as long as they love me in the morning hahaha.If anybody out there has any weight loss ideas that might work for a night working  woman please let me know.Thats  desperate.

May 23, 2006, 1:50 pm CDT

Me too, me too ...

Quote From: watchinu

I think of myself as being slim (that was years ago) and I think like a slim person. I am so happy to be this slim......then....I accidentally walk past a mirror! Who the heck is THAT??? Needless to say, my day crashes.  

Why don't I ever know where to sign up for Dr Phil's fat farms?  

I have the same mindset going.  It's like a weird kind of body dismorphic disorder.  Somewhere in the theoretical part of my mind I know I'm big but in the forefront I feel that I'm strong enough, healthy enough, fit enough to do anything I choose.  I'm sure my poor little horse would disagree. 

As for a swimsuit, if there's water to be had I'm in it, what I look like is of no consequence.  . (My DH swears I could have a good time in wet grass).  But when the vacation pictures come back I'm always in shock at what the camera shows.  "Yeah, the camera adds ten pounds, so how many cameras did you have on me exactly?"  It's so tough to get motivated to lose weight when my attitude is saying there's really no need.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last