Message Boards

Topic : *Dr. Phil Prime Time Special: Escaping Addiction, Part 2

Number of Replies: 169
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 19, 2006, 04:00:50 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Wednesday, May 24 at 8 p.m. (ET/PT) only on CBS

It's an epidemic that is out of control. This year, Americans will spend more than $90,000,000,000 on beer, wine and spirits. Jake and Shellye know firsthand about alcohol addiction. This suburban couple seems to have it all, but they're hiding a dangerous secret. Their excessive drinking threatens to cause serious harm to them and their children. Jake is a heavy drinker who has abused Shellye both physically and emotionally. Dr. Phil stages an intervention with the couple, who confess to risky behavior while under the influence. Will they take his help before it's too late? This important prime time special airs at 8 p.m. (ET/ PT) on CBS.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 23, 2006, 1:16 am CDT

beer drinker

this lady who says no one comes before her beer.  wow, how sad.  since she is a threat to her-self and her children, the authorities need to step in here.  no intervenion is going to help her, in my opinion,  she will resist  rehab, maybe not on the surface if she choses to enter just to show  she does not want her children taken away for good, but the minute she is released she will head for the nearest beer.  Re-hab and AA are good tools but are not the means to an end for some people.  (I, remeber the ending to the movies  "THE DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES', this sounds like that kind of ending).  she is to be pitied.  she is weak.  in much need of coping skills.  needs to know where her priorities lie.  again my opinion, maybe she needs shock treatment.  redirect the braines thinking.  open channels that r alcohol clogged.   

it is so easy to get caught up in this mess of alcohol.  in my case was there without knowing it just by having those drinks.  not realizing i was dependent on alcohol til it was too late.  i, was a drunk.  am one lucky guy that re-hab and AA worked for me.  just past my 16th AA birthday. am now 73 years old, and would not be had i continued on as i was.  this lady is young.  whole life ahead of her.  Dr. Phil, my hat off to u if u pull this one off.  but  but but.     JACK DANKS      

May 23, 2006, 3:00 am CDT

Alcohol

I had or should I say a drinking problem myself.  Started at 15 , I lied to myself for years on how many years I had been drinking. I am now 53.  Played with drugs in my teens. But the booze is what I liked best.  I have been sober now for 16 months , With the help of detox , a therapist and AA meetings.  I hurt my family the most and no matter what I always took the Brandy first.  My brother died form this disease.  I hated myself  just knew god had turned on me. Why else was life so lousy.  It was not me. I did not make myself be a loner , nobody wanted to play with me at a kid. was not my fault that I had been molested as a child and did not tell, Or the old man that tried to kidnap me at 3 years old. Not my fault that my 1st husband cheated and used to beat me. After all the police would not help so it must have been my fault. The booze got me through that. Oh yes and the black outs helped.  I tried to kill myself 3 times.  The last time  I cut myself was the last time, That was 2-2-05 .  MY husband said thats it you are getting help this can't go on. Before that all he could say is I want you to stop drinking I want you to live. But only you can do it.    

On 2-3-05 I went into the hospital with so much fear but I was ready and I knew it. I have so much to live for 7 wonderful grand babies 3 adult children. A husband that would go to the ends of the earth for me.  I put my husband through living hell. In the hospital it was the first time I could tell anyone about my DEEP BACK HOLE I was living in.  I could not let go of the past no matter what.  

Nobody hurt me more than me.  I now own my part in life that went wrong. and understand more about myself than ever.  I sleep much better now, no more nightmares. 

As soon as I got out of the hospital I went AA meeting 90 days 90 meetings. Took me 3 weeks to get a sponsor. I have worked my steps 4th of the worst and the best thing I have ever done for myself. I now have many people in my life . My husband and I not had a fight some things we don"t agree on but no fights. My daughter gave me one of the best gifts of all. She told me how great it is to have her mom back , the one she always wanted and the grandparent she was wanted for her kids. Thats a gift.  

I hope this family can get the help they need.  I hope they are ready.  

God bless them.  

May 23, 2006, 4:41 am CDT

42 Days Now

Quote From: legend17

I recently quit drinking (42 days now) and I do know that I used alcohol for all of the wrong reasons. It took about a week for me to start thinking clearly again and now that I can I do not ever want to drink again. When I was drinking it was daily and as much as I could drink from about 11am on until I would black out. The black outs were the worst because I don't remember what happened. I would fight with my husband and not know what I did. The police got involved on 3 different occasions and now I am facing domestic violence charges. Alcohol is a dangerous drug and I wish I would have never started to drink. Since I have stopped my husband stopped 10 days later and our family is finally healing. Our kids are starting to get along and there haven't been any negative words in our family. We have all enrolled in counseling for the good of ourselves and are accepting all of these wonderful life changes. We now know that we don't have to drink alcohol to have a good time. I hope everyone that has a problem will not get to the extreme that I did because it is hard to pull yourself together. With the help of some A A groups I have new friends that I can truly call my family. Thank GOD!!
42 days is a long time~congratulations and every day is a new day for you, do not drink. Every day, after the day is through, say, "today is a wonderful day, I thank God, I do not drink."  I certainly feel empathy for you, and I totally know the feelings of a family healing. Nobody believed I would stop, their answer was "yeah,right". It is not about what other people think, it is about you, and your family. In my heaviest drinking time, my daughter was 15. She had no respect for me at all. I feel that (at that time), I really did not give a rat's rear what anyone thought about me, but........oh my God, my daughter, my only daughter, my sweet baby girl, when she finally told me I was going to be a homeless baglady, and she was sick of me, it burned a hole into my heart. When I think about that night, as she picked up the contents of my purse, scattered all over the driveway, as I weaved all over, crashing into the hood of the car, I still, today, 17 years later, feel that pain of that statement. She said the right thing.  You are doing the right thing, it takes a long time to regain your  trust from your family, and their respect. You should be so very proud of yourself, you are winning the battle of the devil himself, and I am just not kidding. Keep it up, you are in my thoughts. Linda.

May 23, 2006, 4:52 am CDT

escaping addiction part 2

I CAN TELL YOU WHAT SHE IS GOING THROUGH IS JUST REALLY A BAD THING,I CAN SOME HOW KNOW WHAT SHE IS GOING THROUGH FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS I HAVWE BEEN I HAVE BEEN ON PAIN KILLERS STARTING WITH ( NEURONTIN 100 MG IN THE AM AND 400 AT PM---OXYCONTIN 80MG TWICE DAILEY-IT USED TO BE 320MGS A DAY---VALIUM 10MG AT PM---AMBIEN 10MG ----AND PERCOCET  750MG DAILEY,THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON NOW FOR 5 YRS ALL BECAUSE A DOCTOR MWSSWD UP MY SURGERY ON ME BUT I COULD NOT PROVE IT AND I ALSO WALK WITH A CANE AND GUYS IM ONLY 45 YRS YOUNG,PLUS I TAKE ALL MY OTHER MEDS TO DAILEY AND ALL THAT IS FROM HAVING TWO HEART STINTS PUT IN 2 YRS AGO PLUS ASTHMA MEDS BUT I CAN TELL YOU I DO NOT ABUSE ANY OF IT WHEN I GO TO THE DOCTOR ONCE A MONTH FOR PAIN MANAGEMENT THEY COUNT ALL MY MEDS AND IF THE COUNT IS OFF IM IN TROUBLE SO THATS WHY WHEN I SEE PEOPLE LIKE THIS WOMEN WHO IS ABUSING THE ALCHOL  I CAN ONLY SAY SHE NEEDS SO MUCH HELP AND THAT MEANS IN HOUSE REHAB 24/7 AND SHE NEEDS TO BE BACKER ACTED AND THEN HER FAMILY TO  SIGN TO KEEP HER IN THERE. PEOPLE WITH DRUG AND ALCHOL ADDICTIONS CAN NOT HELP IT THERE IS DAYS I WOULD LOVE TO TRY AND SLOWLY TAKE MY SELF OFF ALL THESE DRUGS I HATE THEM ,ALSO THEY MAKE ME FILL LIKE CRAP SOME TIMES AND OTHER TIMES IM REAL GOOD IF U KNOW WHAT  I MEAN AND THEN THERE IS DEPRESSION FROM TAKING ALL OF IT SO TRUST ME WHEN ALL THESE YOUNG PEOPLE SAY WOW YOU TAKE ALL THAT I WISH I DID THEY ARE PURE (STUPID) WELL I HOPE SHE GETS THE HELP SHE NEEDS VERY SOON   (J,C) 

May 23, 2006, 4:56 am CDT

Dear waiting mom...

Quote From: jdd208

A waiting mom-- 

My heart goes out to you and your daughter, maybe she need to be court ordered my 2 relatives and reccommended to be in assisted living where she is monitored.  This means she will be deemed unable to make decisions for herself but with a diagnosis of dementia, I think you would have a shot.... 

Just a thought and I hope your prayers are answered. 

jdd208 

Oh my heart aches at your story of your dear daughter. What depths of destruction does this poison take? Like the tv commercial, "who does depression hurt?" EVERYBODY. Alcoholism is a sorrid, deadly depression. I thought I drank to be happy, actually I was never sober, ever, unless in jail. Just like your daughter, I took a drink the second I got out of any situation where alcohol had not been available. I do not know why. To this day, I do not know why I did it. I don't know your daughter, but I wonder if she knows why she chooses this way. I am so sorry for you, as it has to be heart wrenching for a mother to watch as your daughter goes down. My heart goes out to you, I only wish I could work miracles! So far, I have only found that ONE person doing the miracles. As the other person replied to your message, it is true, you can have your loved one Baker Acted to a facility, if she is a harm to herself OR others. The problem with this is where do these people go? Who takes care of them? I don't trust the State to care for a helpless person, sorry. Some of their hearts are huge, but their budget is 1/100th of that size. What does a mom do? Dr. Phil, what does a mom do? (((hugs to you waiting mom))). May the day come when you get your miracle. Soon.  

May 23, 2006, 4:57 am CDT

Dear waiting mom...

Quote From: jdd208

A waiting mom-- 

My heart goes out to you and your daughter, maybe she need to be court ordered my 2 relatives and reccommended to be in assisted living where she is monitored.  This means she will be deemed unable to make decisions for herself but with a diagnosis of dementia, I think you would have a shot.... 

Just a thought and I hope your prayers are answered. 

jdd208 

Oh my heart aches at your story of your dear daughter. What depths of destruction does this poison take? Like the tv commercial, "who does depression hurt?" EVERYBODY. Alcoholism is a sorrid, deadly depression. I thought I drank to be happy, actually I was never sober, ever, unless in jail. Just like your daughter, I took a drink the second I got out of any situation where alcohol had not been available. I do not know why. To this day, I do not know why I did it. I don't know your daughter, but I wonder if she knows why she chooses this way. I am so sorry for you, as it has to be heart wrenching for a mother to watch as your daughter goes down. My heart goes out to you, I only wish I could work miracles! So far, I have only found that ONE person doing the miracles. As the other person replied to your message, it is true, you can have your loved one Baker Acted to a facility, if she is a harm to herself OR others. The problem with this is where do these people go? Who takes care of them? I don't trust the State to care for a helpless person, sorry. Some of their hearts are huge, but their budget is 1/100th of that size. What does a mom do? Dr. Phil, what does a mom do? (((hugs to you waiting mom))). May the day come when you get your miracle. Soon.  

May 23, 2006, 5:15 am CDT

*Dr. Phil Prime Time Special: Escaping Addiction, Part 2

As both the daughter and x wife of alcoholics I think that this is a show long over due the alcohol problem in this country is far worse than any other .I believe instead of going after "big tobacco:they should go after the alcohol companies .I lived with this problem not disease for 30 years .Alcohol killed both my mother and x husband So anything that will expose this for the problem that it is on the scale that it exist and is excepted in this country is a very good show for everyone to watch

May 23, 2006, 5:37 am CDT

*Dr. Phil Prime Time Special: Escaping Addiction, Part 2

Shellye says that nothing comes between her and her beer - not her husband, not her job, not even her kids,  

Stevenm06 comments: 

Yes there is something that will come between shellye and her beer.Its called death.One day she will hit bottom.There are three UP`S with an alcoholic. 

#1.Either sober up. 

#2.Either be locked up. 

#3.Either be covered up. 

Many pursue their addiction to alcohol into the gates of insanity or death one or the two is the future of the alcoholic. 

I know shellye reads these post since she is on the show.Please for God`s sake get help before you are only a memory and are lying in a grave yard somewhere. 

My prayers go out to you. 

Stevenm06. 

May 23, 2006, 8:42 am CDT

To Jake and Shellye

I hope you two read this and I hope it helps any others struggling..... 

I was an alcoholic for over eight years. I only stopped drinking when pregnant, then would slip right back into it. I saw the promo for this show and had to post this...... 

First let me say that I haven't had a drink since March 10th of this year, and my husband quit with me. IT CAN BE DONE!!!!!!! I finally stopped because I was so tired of the guilt and so tired of feeling like crap both physically and emotionally. The worst was feeling like a bad mother, knowing I was setting terrible examples for my children. I was the "functioning" alcoholic, never been in trouble with the law, never drove around drunk. I chose to "responsibly" (ha ha) get drunk in the privacy of my home. I was an everyday drinker, cracking open the bud light while cooking dinner, then continuing to drink for the rest of the evening. Then wake up in the morning with a fabulous hangover, feeling my heart racing, feeling guilty, standing in the shower telling God "I know I need to stop this". Then go right back to it. 

My main reason at first to quit was my health. I would have episodes with my heart where it would beat like crazy and scare the mess out of me. I have since found out after going to a cardiologist and doing research that alcohol is an absolute poison to the heart. Even though it was scary at the time, I feel that the Lord gives you things to make you change. Call it incentive. I tried to quit last year, but made the mistake of trying to cut down, not totally quit. I was successful this time because I got honest and realized I was an alcoholic and had no control over it, therefore I could never drink again. The first week was hard, thank God I wasn't feeling any physical withdrawl except a headache now and then, but stopping the habit was difficult at first. You have to find things to replace the habit. Sounds crazy, I know, but doing word searches helped me, and I drank lots of fruit juices and green teas. Things I felt were good for me. 

After that, all I felt was better. I did it on my own with the help of prayer and basic willpower. I can't honestly say that I have no desire to drink anymore, I would be a liar if I said the thought doesn't cross my mind, but never wanting to be that person again keeps me straight. I really feel lucky to be rid of all the crap in my life that alcohol created, and I never see myself drinking again. I believe everyone will agree with me when I say  "alcohol is not your friend". My main strength comes from the Lord. If you go to Him, I promise He will answer you. It is so awesome to go before Him in prayer now and not feel like a fraud. Waking up in the morning guilt and hangover-free is also wonderful, I feel so clear-headed. My life is so much better now, and it's like I feel my body saying "thank you". And we are saving so much money! Until you stop buying it, you don't realize how much you spend on it.  

I just wanted to share with you and anyone else out there that it can be done. For me, it's now a matter of self love and integrity. The way I did it may not work for some, but I feel blessed that it worked for me. I hope maybe my story will help someone out there, you can quit while your ahead and not have to hit rock bottom to change.  

-Peace- 

May 23, 2006, 9:42 am CDT

Friend in addiction

I have a beautiful, smart, friend that is just killing herself.  She is sinking back into addiction of drinking, secret drinking, and taking herself down after three years of sobriety.  I just don't understand how someone so smart, can do such stupid stuff.  She has just landed a beautiful new job that she has been wanting, and she is supposed to start next week, and now I find out that she went to the final interview "blitzed"  It breaks my heart.  The most heart wrenching twist of all is that her teenaged daughter had to go live with a useless father three years ago, because of the addiction, and she was just getting back her relationship with her mother (my friend) and it's all blown away again.  I feel so sorry for the daughter, she is a sweet, wonderful, creative, sensitive soul, that is just being thrown away.  My heart bleeds, and I feel helpless - I know I can't do anything to save her and I can only help when she is ready to accept the help. Any suggestions out there??  I am so frustrated, this addiction is a killer.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last