Message Boards

Topic : 05/29 Parenting Dilemmas

Number of Replies: 283
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, May 25, 2006, 09:42:01 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Are you a parent whose household is spinning out of control? Cindi says her daughter, Kristina, used to be a fresh-faced all-American beauty, but now, with seven tattoos, she looks like a freak! Cindi says that if her daughter gets inked one more time, she’ll cut her off. Then, Nancy was heartbroken when she learned her 17-year-old daughter had been keeping a devastating secret. See this teen's message about how opening up saved her life. And, when Nancy Davis was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis 14 years ago, the doctor said her life was over. She knew she had to get better for her three young sons. See her heartwarming message for anyone dealing with an illness. Then, a mom struggles with 7-year-old triplets competing to be the best! Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 27, 2006, 8:36 pm CDT

Help us to protect our children!!

I wish Dr.Phil would do a show on these tattoo parlours because  they are to accessible to under age kids. My own daughter 16 got a belly piercing and hid it for two months until her shirt slid up  and I discovered it.The business card was in her purse and when I phoned the place, the man had no record(says he throws them out every 3 months).What if my daughter contracted HIV.Hepatitis or had toxic shock sydrome??Also to shock me the man said he has pierced  11yr old girls privates.Also other parents have posed a guardians to the under age kids to obtain piercing and tatoos.These places are cropping up on every street corner and the laws are not stringent.We have to go to our law makers................................VIOLATED PARENT!!  

May 27, 2006, 9:59 pm CDT

Forget the tattoos!

Tattoos are the least of my worries at the moment.  I want to hear about those triplets!  My kids are almost triplets the twins are 17 months older than the baby.  The oldest is 6 years older than them.  

I helped raise 3 kids I was blessed to be the stepmom of from my first marriage. They are grown now with quite a few tattoos.  Unfortunately,  we broke up and I was no longer an influence in their lives. Drugs came next, years before the tatts. I will take a needle mark on my kids' skin making a tattoo over one pumping herion in their vein  anyday!  

At Sam's club, I saw a young lady dressed "punk", maybe13 years old.  She was a very sweet child and polite.  I knew how it was to want to be unique.  Only problem is, in this world getting the wrong tat, or even the wrong color shirt, might get you killed so choose carefully.    

Sorry I seem to babble.  I just wanted to air my few thoughts, varied as they may be.  

May 27, 2006, 10:54 pm CDT

Teen self-expression, etc

It's hard enough being a teen in this day & age. All teens go thru this phase of finding their own identities. I have a 13yr old girl, an almost 11yr old girl, and an 8yr old son. If my teen wanted something like this done to her body, it's her body whether I made it or not. But, I would sit her down and explain the pros and cons of tattoos & piercings. There are medical issues associated with these things, and they carry risks. There are also other ramifications later in life to deal with. I've seen some beautiful tattoos out there that I might like to do for myself, but I chose not to tat or pierce myself because I have a rare blood type, and the rules for donating blood through United Blood Services say if you have ANY tats or piercings no matter how long ago, you can't donate.  If this mom's only problem is with her child's tattoos, she should consider herself lucky. I haven't seen the show yet, but I hope Dr. Phil can get to the bottom of the issues to help the families involved. I can sympathize with the mom with MS. I'm medically disabled on SSDI for alot of medical problems stemming from a near-fatal MVA I had in 1992. When the pain gets real bad, I try to think of others who have it worse than me. I could be in a wheelchair feeling nothing. Or worse, I could of died back then and never had the chance to have my kids. People these days need to take a step back and be thankful for what they have, and help others who are suffering. That's all for now. Peace, Angie

May 28, 2006, 6:06 am CDT

I Cant Believe It!

I cant believe it.  How could a mother say that she will cut off her OWN child just over some art.  I am a mother of 3 and have 2 tattoos (soon to have more)one of my tatts have my childrens & hubbys name.  It expresses my love for them.  I would never Ever say that to my kids, you bring them into this world so they can enjoy life, not control them.  At least her passion is tatts, not drugs, stealing, murder etc.  Be grateful that she is a healthy lady.  You should be ashamed of yourself!!!!

May 28, 2006, 7:38 am CDT

Judgement

I think it's a shame that this mother has judged her daughter by the tattoos on her body.  I am 48 and have two tattoos; not many, but I do want more. I also have a pierced nose, ears and tongue.  I see these things as a form of art and self expression, not something to be ashamed of. I also have noticed that society is becoming more tolerant overall of different forms of self expression.  I have an older daughter, 24, who has several tattoos, and has done many other things in her short life.  she lived with her dad after we divorced and i found out later that she had gone through almost every drug you can think of.  It had nothing to do with the tattoos; the drugs were her reaction to our divorce and later, her father's alcoholism.  If this young woman has done nothing but tattoos, colored her hair different colors and tried on the "goth" scene without the drugs or alcohol, then mom really doesnt have anything to be upset about.  There is a "but" to this though, because I haven't seen the show, and don't know what the "secret" is.  And I also know that support done in a loving and nonjudgemental way can help a person get their life back on the "right" track, and ONLY if they want to.  It has to be this young woman's decision; not mom's.  Whatever the problems and solutions that come up, I wish them both the best of life!!

May 28, 2006, 9:24 am CDT

*rolls eyes*

I'm 26 yrs old, I have plenty of tatts and I go to punk shows.... thats my world.  My mom never judged me.  She was just thankful that I wasn't out on the street doing drugs. I got my first tatt at  16.  My mom was surprised but she knew I was my own person and she loved me regardless of how I choose to look.  Thats what mother's are suppose to do!!!! They are suppose to be unconditional love.  My mom even said she wouldn't want me any other way because I brought something new and interesting into her life.  She even liked some of the bands I listen to especially some of the irish punk ones.  Tattoos are beautiful!!!  My mom passed away from cancer a yr ago...  she was like my best friend and I find it silly this mother is willing to wreck having a close relationship with her daughter over tattoos.  Life is too short for that B.S.  I haven't seen this show yet but I sure hope Dr. Phil doesn't get on the girl for having tattoos and make her feel small for it.  I hope he tells that mom off!!!  If he doesn't I might have fightin' words for him cause thats just horrible to make this beautiful girl feel like a freak for having tatts.  We aren't the freaks.......  the rest of society are the freaks!!!

May 28, 2006, 9:29 am CDT

05/29 Parenting Dilemmas

Quote From: ladybug11

tattoos  and periceings  make a person look  nasty and ugly!!   its not sexy at all.  
Actually tattoos are very sexy....... I'm more attracted to men with tattoos than I am to ones without them.  They aren't ugly.  But I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  

May 28, 2006, 9:33 am CDT

05/29 Parenting Dilemmas

Quote From: melodydane

If you are wanting to be original in this day in age, you have to look around and see that the original kids are the ones without Tattoo's. Try that one on for size ppl
Mel

Actually no.... because in this day and age there are still much more people without tatttos than with.  And even your "jocks" and "soriety" chicks may have one or two tattoos they aren't covered in them or have sleves of tattoos.... no thats reserved for the people in my world cause they will go there....... most people won't.  So therefore its much more original to have alot of tatts.   Plus the kids without the tatts are just plan boring anyways.

May 28, 2006, 9:39 am CDT

05/29 Parenting Dilemmas

people that  like  the punk look, makes them look so ugly and nasty!    wearing nothing but black all the time  makes people look like the dead or halloween.   looks like they should be in a horror movie!!!  ya people change but  not to try and look ugly. like return  of the dead!!!   its makes  people look like devil  worshiperers!  evil! 
Actually its goths who normally wear black all the time not punks, though they do have alot of black in the closet.  Punks like plaid ALOT and I'm punk and my fav. color is pink!!!!!!   I have many pink shirts with skulls on it :)   Plus what you find ugly some find beautiful..... to me what you call "normal" looking is ugly to me.   OH and I LOVE LOVE LOVE horror movies!!!! And halloween is one of my all time favorite holidays!!!!!   Thing is don't judge... you can go about doing what you do and I'll pay no mind to it as long as you pay no mind to what I choose to do.

May 28, 2006, 9:43 am CDT

05/29 Parenting Dilemmas

no one says if you have tattoos  you are a bad  person!  its whats on the inside that counts. but  tattoos  and periceings   make people look  nasty  and  messes there looks up!!!   thats all i am saying!!!   god  did not want us to harm our bodys  and  put ink in your skin!  its a sin!!  
Okay don't get me started........ are you god???? don't be saying god doesn't want me to do this or that cause you don't know.   There are many religious people who hurt themselves in the name of god to feel the pain Jesus went through.   Tattoos are not harming my body!  Maybe you should be more concerned with people who smoke and eat a lot of junk and do things that actually do harm their body.   I would think smoking is much more a so called "sin" as you religious people would say than ink!!!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last