Message Boards

Topic : Where Should Your Child Sleep?

Number of Replies: 261
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:59:51 pm
Author : dataimport
Does your child sleep in a crib, his own bed, or with you? Tell us what works for your family.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 29, 2005, 9:37 am CST

Where Should Your Child Sleep?

Quote From: wendygrie

Hi, I have an 8-month-old and he has slept with me and my husband since coming home from the hospital.  we tried the co-sleeper bassinet, and his own crib but he just was not happy.  I do not believe in "crying it out".  So he slept with us up until a week ago.  Because he became very active, and a few times i woke up just in time to see him crawling towards the end of the bed . . we decided it was time to transition him.  He now sleeps on his crib mattress on our floor next to the bed.  I am still nursing him so he tends to nurse at 11pm and then again around 2pm, i just crawl on the floor and nurse him.  its a little more effort on my part but i think it is working fine.  We will move him into his room once he stops one of the feedings . . .I'll keep you posted . . 

Wendy 

I also have an eight month old baby and she loves sleeping with my husband and I. 

I also tried the bassinet and It was just not practical. When my baby turned about seven months old she became very active and able to crawl very fast. We still allow her to sleep with us at night as long as we are both in the bed. I am not a heavy sleeper and if she wakes up I wake right away although she doesn't hardly ever wake at night. I think it is great that you found something that works for you and don't worry about if there is a fire (like the other message said) because I'm sure the first thing you would do is pick up your baby before you ran out of the room. My daughter takes all her naps during the day on the floor and it works great. She doesn't like to sleep in her crib and the floor is the next safest place because she can't fall. If you don't have one they make these adorable little "couches" that also fold out into a mat they can sleep on. My daughter has one and she loves her's. They are perfect because you can fold it up into the couch and it doesn't take up much room but when they are ready for a nap you can fold it out and it is a great place to sleep. 

Anyways, good luck. 

January 3, 2006, 5:58 am CST

sleep? HA!

i have a 19 month old who will not only not sleep in his own bed, but even in bed with my husband and i tosses and turns and wakes up ALL night. he barely naps during the day either. if i leave him in his crib to attempt to let him "cry it out" he literally will cry for 3 hours, fall asleep for 10 min and wake up crying again. its only in the past couple of months that his sleeping schedule has become so erratic....any advice?

January 3, 2006, 8:45 am CST

Find the cause-

Quote From: mrsdecker

i have a 19 month old who will not only not sleep in his own bed, but even in bed with my husband and i tosses and turns and wakes up ALL night. he barely naps during the day either. if i leave him in his crib to attempt to let him "cry it out" he literally will cry for 3 hours, fall asleep for 10 min and wake up crying again. its only in the past couple of months that his sleeping schedule has become so erratic....any advice?

Maybe you're feeding him foods that don't agree with him? Still teething? Hitting another development milestone? Growth spurt that interuppted his schedule? Try to find the cause, eliminate it, and if that doesn't work, try a new method. 

If he won't nap, make him take "quiet time" anyways. Babies need consistent sleep schedules, but it does take time unless you want to push it along with CIO. My daughter, now 2, has over time set her own sleep schedule. It took a long time, and any little adjustment threw her off and we had to start all over. 

Some tips: 

Put baby down drowsy, but not asleep. 

Keep the lights low. 

Try a white noise machine or fan, depending on time of year (fan worked best for my son, 5 months, until cold weather hit. Then we bought a noise machine.) or climate. 

Be consistent. If you are going to use CIO, use it. Don't flop between methods until you've given one method a chance to work. If you don't want to buy the books, try borrowing them from your local library. If your library doesn't have them, see if there is an intra-library progam that you can use (libraries that interchange books). 

January 4, 2006, 8:35 am CST

my 18 month old is sleep with us!!!!!!

I'm a mother of 3 girls. My oldest child did sleep with us until she was 2 years old. She now goes to bed at 8pm and sleeps in her own bed. Her sister is 4 now and has never slept with us at all.  And there is Abbi she is 18 months old  and I have tryed everything to get her to sleep in her bed.(baby bed) She has been sick alot with her ears. We are going back to the doctor at the middle of the month for her ears. (tubes) I hope that will help us. Not sure what to do. The last time we try to let her cry herself to sleep in her bed she try to eat the baby bed. Big chucks of wood on the floor. I need some help any idea what to do????

January 8, 2006, 4:24 pm CST

Quote From: my_2angels

Maybe you're feeding him foods that don't agree with him? Still teething? Hitting another development milestone? Growth spurt that interuppted his schedule? Try to find the cause, eliminate it, and if that doesn't work, try a new method. 

If he won't nap, make him take "quiet time" anyways. Babies need consistent sleep schedules, but it does take time unless you want to push it along with CIO. My daughter, now 2, has over time set her own sleep schedule. It took a long time, and any little adjustment threw her off and we had to start all over. 

Some tips: 

Put baby down drowsy, but not asleep. 

Keep the lights low. 

Try a white noise machine or fan, depending on time of year (fan worked best for my son, 5 months, until cold weather hit. Then we bought a noise machine.) or climate. 

Be consistent. If you are going to use CIO, use it. Don't flop between methods until you've given one method a chance to work. If you don't want to buy the books, try borrowing them from your local library. If your library doesn't have them, see if there is an intra-library progam that you can use (libraries that interchange books). 

i found that if u put them in the bathtub with night time baby bath and then put night time lotion on them and then give them some warm milk ....before thay even finish the milk they will be asleep

January 8, 2006, 4:27 pm CST

Quote From: mrsdecker

i have found that if u will wait till he is sleepy or around bed time... put him in the bathtub withsome johnson and johnson night time bath and then rub him down with johnson and johnson night time lotion.... give him some warm milk and rock him... that most children even the sickest, illest, or not even tired children will fall asleep before they finish the milk..

January 8, 2006, 4:40 pm CST

Quote From: momtogavin

i have a 7 week old little boy, who is our first!!  He is a eater, he has to eat every 2 hours if not every hour.  So it makes it so easy for him to sleep with us, and it also makes me feel so mothering.  Although i only plan to breastfeed till he is about 6 months.  I love that closeness we seem to share when he sleeps by me!  So i wonder when is the right time to get him in his crib?  AND how in the world do you do it?

from personal experience dont wait to long..granted breastfeeding is great but why not put the breastmilk into a bottle and adda  little cereal... then he will sleep a little longer... also the longer u wait to get him out of ur bed... out of ur room...the harder its going to be.. email me and let me know how it goes and what worked for you.... brownswife21@yahoo.com 

January 9, 2006, 11:02 am CST

Quote From: kendellsma

from personal experience dont wait to long..granted breastfeeding is great but why not put the breastmilk into a bottle and adda  little cereal... then he will sleep a little longer... also the longer u wait to get him out of ur bed... out of ur room...the harder its going to be.. email me and let me know how it goes and what worked for you.... brownswife21@yahoo.com 

I just want to say that most doctors will tell you NOT to put cereal in a bottle and will tell you that feeding a baby cereal with NOT help them sleep longer. Giving a child cereal in a bottle confuses the "hungry/full" reflex and can lead to overfeeding. 

Also, there is nothing that proves keeping a child in your room for any amount of time will make it harder to get them into their own beds. This is also a matter of opinion and varies by child. My 2 year old sleeps with me, but is showing signs of being ready to transition. If you try to transition a child before they are ready, it will cause them to want to stay even AFTER they are ready to move. I and three of my four siblings shared my parents bed from birth- 2 years and transitioned with minimal problems (other then the typical problems associated with moving a child into their own bed, even from crib-bed). The youngest slept better in a crib from birth, so they didn't force him to sleep with them and had the same problems getting him into a toddler bed as they did the rest of us. 

I want to add that I understand the poster stated that this was just personal experience and what worked for her. I'm not knocking it, I'm just offering another viewpoint on what she's said. (That doctors recommend you don't put cereal in bottles and that co-sleeping does not lead to a clingy child unless the child is naturally a clinger.) 

January 9, 2006, 11:03 am CST

Forgot to add-

A 7 week old baby is NOT ready for cereal, in any way. Don't feed your baby solid foods until at least 4 months.

January 9, 2006, 5:40 pm CST

Quote From: my_2angels

I just want to say that most doctors will tell you NOT to put cereal in a bottle and will tell you that feeding a baby cereal with NOT help them sleep longer. Giving a child cereal in a bottle confuses the "hungry/full" reflex and can lead to overfeeding. 

Also, there is nothing that proves keeping a child in your room for any amount of time will make it harder to get them into their own beds. This is also a matter of opinion and varies by child. My 2 year old sleeps with me, but is showing signs of being ready to transition. If you try to transition a child before they are ready, it will cause them to want to stay even AFTER they are ready to move. I and three of my four siblings shared my parents bed from birth- 2 years and transitioned with minimal problems (other then the typical problems associated with moving a child into their own bed, even from crib-bed). The youngest slept better in a crib from birth, so they didn't force him to sleep with them and had the same problems getting him into a toddler bed as they did the rest of us. 

I want to add that I understand the poster stated that this was just personal experience and what worked for her. I'm not knocking it, I'm just offering another viewpoint on what she's said. (That doctors recommend you don't put cereal in bottles and that co-sleeping does not lead to a clingy child unless the child is naturally a clinger.) 

yes they will tell u that but that does not mean that it is not a good idea.  and every child that i have seen that has been given cereal doesnt overeat and does sleep longer.  it all depends on what the mom want to do.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last