Message Boards

Topic : Where Should Your Child Sleep?

Number of Replies: 261
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:59:51 pm
Author : dataimport
Does your child sleep in a crib, his own bed, or with you? Tell us what works for your family.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 28, 2005, 5:51 pm CDT

HI TO YOU...

Quote From: ladybug7

Ok my daughter(22  months) always has been a good sleeper but recently her dad went to 3rd shift, and I work days and go to school at night. So her schedule is all confused. But I just recently changed her bed into a toddler bed! She was always crawling out of her crib. Now she refuses to stay in her bed at all!! I mean I've never went through something so frustrating in my life! Is this normal when you switch beds or is my child just doing this because of our schedule? I know Dr. Phil says that about how the child in coming into your life, your not going into your child's, so what should I do to make her stay there. Nothing is working for me? thanks so much!!   

We had the same sort of problem with our daughter when we had taken her out of the cot and put her in a big bed. For the first few nights it was very exciting to her to be in a big big bed!! And of course she could get out of the bed and that was alot of fun to her, but not to us!! 

Hubby ended up making a gate to put in her doorway, rather than having to shut the door on her which we didn't want to do, we put a gate there instead. So she can still see out of her room and she is quite happy about that. 

So maybe you could try that. Anyway, your little one will settle soon enough you'll see. Anyway please TAKE CARE. LOVE KELLY. 

August 30, 2005, 8:59 am CDT

Thanks!

Quote From: ceders2

We had the same sort of problem with our daughter when we had taken her out of the cot and put her in a big bed. For the first few nights it was very exciting to her to be in a big big bed!! And of course she could get out of the bed and that was alot of fun to her, but not to us!! 

Hubby ended up making a gate to put in her doorway, rather than having to shut the door on her which we didn't want to do, we put a gate there instead. So she can still see out of her room and she is quite happy about that. 

So maybe you could try that. Anyway, your little one will settle soon enough you'll see. Anyway please TAKE CARE. LOVE KELLY. 

Thank You Kelly I will try that tonight actually!! Thanks so much for you input! Nicole

August 30, 2005, 6:18 pm CDT

NO WORRIES, LADYBUG...

Quote From: ladybug7

Thank You Kelly I will try that tonight actually!! Thanks so much for you input! Nicole

Was more than happy to be of some help. Hope it all works out for you. Let me know. 

TAKE CARE. LOVE KELLY. 

August 31, 2005, 12:08 pm CDT

it's your choice

I don't agree with etting children sleep in bed with mommy and daddy, but you know what, you do whatever makes you comfortable.  It's YOUR decision as the parent.   I'm sure you  have issues with people giving you do's and don'ts, I have quite a few myself and it gets really annoying, but as the parnet, YOU have the OVERALL decision...NO MATTER WHAT!!!!  My daughter  Aleah is 9 months old and she sleeps in her crib for nap times and bed times, but I'm sure there will come a time when she'll want to sleep in bed with us and that's just fine...sometimes.  It'll get easier...

September 12, 2005, 6:17 am CDT

MY SON STILL SLEEPS WITH ME

I HAVE A 2 YEAR OLD SON THAT STILL SLEEPS WITH MY HUSBAND AND I. I LOVE THAT HE SLEEPS WITH US, TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH I CAN NOT SLEEP WITH OUT HIM (MY SON). MY HUSBAND ON THE OTHER HAND HATES IT.  HE SAYS THAT I AM TOO EMOTIONALLY ATTACHED TO OUR SON.  IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING FOR ME BECAUSE ME AND MY HUSBAND ARE ALWAYS ARGUING ABOUT  WEATHER OR NOT HE SHOULD STILL BE IN BED WITH US. MY HUSBAND SEEMS TO THINK THAT HIM STILL BEING IN BED WITH US WILL MAKE HIM NOT ABLE TO BE INDEPENDENT WHEN HE GETS OLDER. I THINK THAT HE IS READING WAY TO MUCH INTO IT. MY SON IS ONLY 2 YRS. OLD, HE IS STILL PRETTY MUCH A BABY. I JUST DON'T WANT HIM TO GROW UP TO FAST. I SLEPT WITH MY MOM UNTIL I WAS 10 YRS. OLD. MY HUSBAND HAS STARTED TO SLEEP IN THE SPARE BEDROOM B/C HE GETS SO UPSET. AM I WRONG TO DISAGREE WITH MY HUSBAND? 

JAMIE

September 12, 2005, 10:25 am CDT

My four year old still sleeps with us

Quote From: jcollins68

I HAVE A 2 YEAR OLD SON THAT STILL SLEEPS WITH MY HUSBAND AND I. I LOVE THAT HE SLEEPS WITH US, TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH I CAN NOT SLEEP WITH OUT HIM (MY SON). MY HUSBAND ON THE OTHER HAND HATES IT.  HE SAYS THAT I AM TOO EMOTIONALLY ATTACHED TO OUR SON.  IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING FOR ME BECAUSE ME AND MY HUSBAND ARE ALWAYS ARGUING ABOUT  WEATHER OR NOT HE SHOULD STILL BE IN BED WITH US. MY HUSBAND SEEMS TO THINK THAT HIM STILL BEING IN BED WITH US WILL MAKE HIM NOT ABLE TO BE INDEPENDENT WHEN HE GETS OLDER. I THINK THAT HE IS READING WAY TO MUCH INTO IT. MY SON IS ONLY 2 YRS. OLD, HE IS STILL PRETTY MUCH A BABY. I JUST DON'T WANT HIM TO GROW UP TO FAST. I SLEPT WITH MY MOM UNTIL I WAS 10 YRS. OLD. MY HUSBAND HAS STARTED TO SLEEP IN THE SPARE BEDROOM B/C HE GETS SO UPSET. AM I WRONG TO DISAGREE WITH MY HUSBAND? 

JAMIE COLLINS 

We put him in his bed at night but he always comes in overnight but the difference for me is my hubby is okay with it.  I agree that they are young and need us as parents but I wonder why he doesn't feel secure enough to stay in his bed all night and have tried to help him with this.  I love the closeness that we (hubby and I) have with our son.  I love waking up in the morning with him in our bed -- it is a wonderful feeling but I don't know that I could let it continue if my hubby did not agree. 

I don't know that I would say either of you (you and hubby) are wrong but I know that you need to come to an agreement as it isn't good to argue about and in front of your son.  You two need to discuss this and other child situations ahead of time to see what page you are each on.  This will help to avoid future arguments over how to raise your child. 

Good luck and hang in there! 

September 12, 2005, 11:42 am CDT

Where Should Your Child Sleep?

Quote From: jcollins68

JAMIE COLLINS 

How parents raise their children I believe is solely up to them but I believe the husband and wife need to be ina greement on most things when it comes t parenting, for children will pick up on tension, disagreements and can learn to play parents against another, I think the two of you need to sit down together and come up with a game plan that will work for both of you. Marriage is about two people and you do become as one, ther has to be a solution but only the two of you can come up with whatever it may be. I personally do not like the co sleeping thing though it does happen on accasions, I love my children dearly but I am thankful that I have two little ones who do not have a problem sleeping in their own beds but yet feels comfortable in knowing that mommy and daddy are there for them and available, you can have the best of both worlds if you work together at it. I strongly believe that the marital relationship is very imporant and every effort possible must be made to make the relationship work, if one is uncomfortable with a situation, then the other needs to help figure out a solution, after all, it is a marriage and I surley wouldn't such a petty thing to come in between my relationship, I say you both need to communicate and work together here.

September 13, 2005, 6:16 am CDT

Quote From: jettav

How parents raise their children I believe is solely up to them but I believe the husband and wife need to be ina greement on most things when it comes t parenting, for children will pick up on tension, disagreements and can learn to play parents against another, I think the two of you need to sit down together and come up with a game plan that will work for both of you. Marriage is about two people and you do become as one, ther has to be a solution but only the two of you can come up with whatever it may be. I personally do not like the co sleeping thing though it does happen on accasions, I love my children dearly but I am thankful that I have two little ones who do not have a problem sleeping in their own beds but yet feels comfortable in knowing that mommy and daddy are there for them and available, you can have the best of both worlds if you work together at it. I strongly believe that the marital relationship is very imporant and every effort possible must be made to make the relationship work, if one is uncomfortable with a situation, then the other needs to help figure out a solution, after all, it is a marriage and I surley wouldn't such a petty thing to come in between my relationship, I say you both need to communicate and work together here.

I agree with you completly in you saying that parents do not need to argue in front of their kids. I have a bad habit of giving my son something when my husband says no. I am trying to work on that. We are in our first year of marriage, and have alot to work on as a couple.  I am going to try to put my son in his own bed. But let him know that he can still come get in bed with us whenever he gets scared. You are right , it is petty. Thankyou for your advice. I am young and still learning, with alot more still to learn about life and relationships. 

Thanks, 

Jamie 

September 13, 2005, 6:27 am CDT

Quote From: aleahm04

I don't agree with etting children sleep in bed with mommy and daddy, but you know what, you do whatever makes you comfortable.  It's YOUR decision as the parent.   I'm sure you  have issues with people giving you do's and don'ts, I have quite a few myself and it gets really annoying, but as the parnet, YOU have the OVERALL decision...NO MATTER WHAT!!!!  My daughter  Aleah is 9 months old and she sleeps in her crib for nap times and bed times, but I'm sure there will come a time when she'll want to sleep in bed with us and that's just fine...sometimes.  It'll get easier...

Thankyou for your advice. I am open to opinions from anyone. Sometime I am just hard headed and don't take the advice. (mother-in-law) She dissagrees on everything i do.  

Thanks ,  

Jamie  

September 23, 2005, 6:26 pm CDT

8 month old wont sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone please help me I am soooooooooo physically exhausted its not even funny!!! My daughter is almost 9 months old and a little before she turned 8 months old she was hospitalized for croupe. Every since she wakes up every 2 hours in the night. Where before she was sleeping through the night! I dont know what to do. I try to give her a bottle and all she eats is an ounce and falls asleep and it seems like i just get back to sleep and shes already waking up again. I cant let her cry it out because I live in an apartment and I dont want my neighbors to think Im neglecting my child because thats not the case at all! Ive tried bath time before bedtime and even those "soothing lotions" I am all out of solutions! Someone please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last