Message Boards

Topic : Where Should Your Child Sleep?

Number of Replies: 261
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:59:51 pm
Author : dataimport
Does your child sleep in a crib, his own bed, or with you? Tell us what works for your family.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 9, 2005, 2:15 pm CDT

She sleeps with us

I've been told by her pediatrician, and several others that I cannot spoil my daughter at this age. (She'll be 6 weeks on Tuesday).  Before I had her, I was against infants/newborns sleeping in the same bed as their parents, but now I can't see doing it any other way. It makes feeding at night soooooo much easier, and I feel closer to my baby this way. I don't have to get up in the night to check and see if she's still breathing. (I'm super paranoid about her to stop breathing at night). I can just look over and put my hand on her little chest to be sure. I don't think we'll have a problem when she gets older, it's like anything else parents wean their children from. JMO.

October 10, 2005, 10:18 pm CDT

Cool

Quote From: girlatlast

Hi all mothers! My three year old rarely slept through the night. we tried every routine possible and still he couldn't settle himself down for a good nights sleep. My older son has Asperger's syndrome (very high functioning autism) and used a four pound weighted blanket when he was overstimulated. We purchased one for my younger non-autistic son and that very night and from that night on he has lsept all night. He is asleep withinn fifteen minutes. My older son's Occupational therapist says that weighted blankets trick the brain into relaxing. this has worked wonders for our family and I no longer dread bedtime. They are pretty expensive in special need catalogs but check ebay!

Maybe that's why my son (now 3 yrs) likes to have evry blanket he has on top of him when he goes to sleep. He has slept in his own room since he was 2 weeks old. First in a crib and the at about 2 in a toddler bed. that is still where he sleeps. The choice for us to put him in his own room was very two-sided. Firstly: I am a light sleeper and I could handle the waking up baby noise he would make for the hour before he would really wake up to eat throught the night. :) and secondly: we wanted him to be able to sleep through the night as soon as possible and night depend on us to do so. It worked for us and at 2 1/2 months he was sleeping through the night. 

Back to the original subject. When we switched him over to his toddler bed, we had few poblems. he did get up and out of bed and try to come out of his room for a few weeks but then he got used to it all and I guess just played or whatever in the dark in his room until he went to sleep. Then one morning I went in his room and he had all his baby blankets (crib sized, the ones that are like tied quilts, his grandma made him) in his bed with him. At first I didn't realize how they got there. I jsut folded them back up and put them in his organizer that stays out in his room. The next moring, it happened again and then I knew that he had pulled them all out himself. Something about being comforted and safe I assumed.  

So now that I have made this really long!!! :) I think that is a neat idea and cool that it works. 

Maybe several blankets will work to create the weight!!!! 

October 18, 2005, 2:48 pm CDT

Why must we make babies grow up too fast?

I hate to sleep alone.  If my husband is away or falls asleep on the sofa, I cannot sleep!  Why do we make these sweet little babies sleep alone from birth on??  I feel like society has made us so driven to be "INDEPENDENT" from BIRTH!  This is senseless!  There is nothing wrong with wanting to have our baby in the bed with us at night.  And as far as it being Dangerous, IT ISNT!  Studies have shown that co sleeping actually LOWERS the risk of SIDS because the baby actually mimmicks the breathing patterns of his mother while they sleep.  Not only that, I know a lot of mothers who want their babies to "sleep all night"  too early.  Babies are made to wake up several times at night, it is also a defense against SIDS. Babies need to wake up to eat in the first months.  And yes, there will be a dozen people to say "well,  my baby slept all night, alone, and she's "just fine" OR, I didnt breastfeed, and my baby is "just fine", but we need to be thinking more long term also. 

I am a  mother of 3 little boys, ages 8, 5, and 19 months.  I co-slept with all of my children, I also breastfed all of my children, my 19 month old sleeps with my husband and myself, he also still breastfeeds. 

October 18, 2005, 9:04 pm CDT

Where Should Your Child Sleep?

Quote From: brandyw79

I hate to sleep alone.  If my husband is away or falls asleep on the sofa, I cannot sleep!  Why do we make these sweet little babies sleep alone from birth on??  I feel like society has made us so driven to be "INDEPENDENT" from BIRTH!  This is senseless!  There is nothing wrong with wanting to have our baby in the bed with us at night.  And as far as it being Dangerous, IT ISNT!  Studies have shown that co sleeping actually LOWERS the risk of SIDS because the baby actually mimmicks the breathing patterns of his mother while they sleep.  Not only that, I know a lot of mothers who want their babies to "sleep all night"  too early.  Babies are made to wake up several times at night, it is also a defense against SIDS. Babies need to wake up to eat in the first months.  And yes, there will be a dozen people to say "well,  my baby slept all night, alone, and she's "just fine" OR, I didnt breastfeed, and my baby is "just fine", but we need to be thinking more long term also. 

I am a  mother of 3 little boys, ages 8, 5, and 19 months.  I co-slept with all of my children, I also breastfed all of my children, my 19 month old sleeps with my husband and myself, he also still breastfeeds. 

I also have 3 children, ages 7, 4 and 10 months.  I nursed my two oldest until age 2.  I still nurse my 10 month old.  I coslept with them also until they were ready to sleep alone.  My children are very well adjusted.  They have their own rooms and have no problems falling asleep.  Children have a need to be snuggled and we, as mothers, have a duty to make them feel secure.  I see nothing wrong with bringing baby to bed.  It's all a matter of personal choice.  Would I prefer to be left alone at night to spend time with my husband?  Of course.  But hey the babies are only young for a short time.  The sleepless nights don't last forever.  To all the people who don't want to create dependent children...suck it up and take care of your babies.

October 18, 2005, 9:06 pm CDT

Quote From: mama_loebs

I've been told by her pediatrician, and several others that I cannot spoil my daughter at this age. (She'll be 6 weeks on Tuesday).  Before I had her, I was against infants/newborns sleeping in the same bed as their parents, but now I can't see doing it any other way. It makes feeding at night soooooo much easier, and I feel closer to my baby this way. I don't have to get up in the night to check and see if she's still breathing. (I'm super paranoid about her to stop breathing at night). I can just look over and put my hand on her little chest to be sure. I don't think we'll have a problem when she gets older, it's like anything else parents wean their children from. JMO.

You sound like a wonderful mother.  Your child is lucky to have you. 

October 20, 2005, 9:47 am CDT

Bonding

My daughter is 2 months today! She has been sleeping with us for about a month. Before I had her I was against having babies in bed with you. And when she first came home she slept in the bassinet almost attached to the side of my bed. I constantly looked over to make sure she was breathing.. (who doesn't!) & she would make all these little noises..so I didn't get the best sleep.. I just wanted to watch her sleep. She is so amazing to me. One night after a middle of the night feeding she had a hard time going back to sleep & I was exhausted.. so I laid her down next to me until she fell alseep..Well I fell asleep too!! & when I woke up a little while later she looked so peaceful. So I left her there... & she seems to sleep more soundly in bed with me. So my husband said that if that is where she wants to sleep then let her.. well now I couldn't imagine her sleeping in the bassinet. I love it. We have a little ritual. We go to bed together & we talk & smile for a little while. Then I tell her it's time for sleep & I close my eyes & she goes to sleep... its amazing! One night I laid her down about a 1/2 hour before I went to bed & when I went into the room she was just laying there quietly & when I got into bed she turned her head & gave me the biggest smile. I gave her a kiss & she went to sleep. I think she was waiting for me.  I love her so much & I have no regrets about this decision.  

October 21, 2005, 11:12 am CDT

well how old is too old for ur child to sleep with u??  my daughter is about to turn 3 and she still sleeps with us.  i think one of the reasons y is cuz we never had a crib for her just a bassinett and when she grew out of that it went to sharing our bed and still to this day all we have for her own bed is a queen size bed we have in her room which i only got for overnite guests.   i feel like i should start having her sleep alone but i am really scared to sleep without her next to me, i think it comforts me just as much as i comfort her at nite.   i just dont know how to make it easy on me and her at the same time. 

soon my husband will leave for afganistan for a yr and i definately dont wanna sleep without her.  so is there even really a problem here or have i let it go on for too long already?? 

October 26, 2005, 3:04 pm CDT

i have a 7 week old little boy, who is our first!!  He is a eater, he has to eat every 2 hours if not every hour.  So it makes it so easy for him to sleep with us, and it also makes me feel so mothering.  Although i only plan to breastfeed till he is about 6 months.  I love that closeness we seem to share when he sleeps by me!  So i wonder when is the right time to get him in his crib?  AND how in the world do you do it?

October 27, 2005, 9:21 am CDT

My daughter, who is now 13 months, has slept in bed with me ever since we came home from the hospital.  It's just better that way, her dad doesn't ever want to sleep in the same bed as me, so Anna sleeps with me.  It's comforting to both of us, and her dad says it's fine, that way I don't get a chance to initiate sex with him; but that's another message board altogether! LOL.  In case you haven't guessed, I have no sex life.  But at least I have a beautiful, well-adjusted little girl.  We have a crib set up for her, that is where her stuffed animals live! 

November 2, 2005, 2:38 pm CST

I have a 3month old son and he sleeps in the bed with me.   In the beginning he was eating every 2 hours so I just got used to it.  My husband worked graveyard shifts so he was tired most of the time.  Babies aren't exactly quiet when they eat, so he would naturally get annoyed and sleep in the baby's room.  I have the bassinet right next to our bed.  I'll put him down at night in it but when he wakes up to eat, I feed him and then we fall asleep.  It has been a bit strenuous on my marriage, I would love to sleep in the same bed as my husband but my son comes first right now.  My mother in law keeps trying to get me to put him in his crib already but I'm definitely not ready for him to be in his own room.  I feel as though nobody understands why I won't do it.  It's nice to see that there's other moms that are doing the same.  I'll put him in his own bed when I'M READY!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last