Message Boards

Topic : Potty Training

Number of Replies: 526
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:08:55 pm
Author : dataimport
Looking for advice on potty training? Share your trials, tribulations, tips and tricks with others here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 26, 2007, 3:51 pm CDT

what can i do

I have a three year old. We've been trying to potty train her for a year. She won't go on the potty. I take her with me when I got to the bathroom and tell her"see Mommys a big girl she goes on the potty Shaylee needs to go on the potty too" when she does go all she wants to is play. I've tried rewarding her with candy, toys, stickers special priveleages everything I can think of. She has gone on the potty before but I can't get her to do it conisistently. does anyone know anything else that works

November 3, 2007, 7:16 pm CDT

Need to PT my 28 month old

I have a similar problem as another poster, I have a 2 yr old (28months) who will not keep his diaper on. Doesn't matter if it's wet, dry, soiled or freshly put on, he wants it off immediately. My first reaction was to PT him BUT I really don't think he's anywhere near ready. His communication skill are very behind and has been in speech therapy since April but I'm not seeing too much of a difference. So, for the most part he's not telling me in anyway I can understand, any of his needs. He is just a huge whiner and crier for what he wants and my husband and I have to play a guessing game at what it is he wants this time!

So I don't see how PTing him at this time is any where near appropriate or possible. Am I missing something here? Do any of you think it is possible to train him without good communication on his part?

Another thing was my plan was to wait until after my next child was born so we don't have a regression issue. I'm not due until April of 2008 and he'll be 3 in June of 2008. I figured for a boy that timing is just fine but I can't deal with poop all over the place (nearly every day now) for the next 5-6months!  I have a 9 month old and there are some sibling rivalry issues so I do expect them with the next baby as well.

Today I decided to try some old pull ups I have here at home from when my nephew was training. I don't like or approve of the pullups but I was thinking that perhaps he's not liking the diapers as they might be pinching him or something (since he does take off perfectly clean ones as well!)  It worked for nap time but that could have been pure luck. I have one on him for the night now so we'll see how that works come morning. I also have a sleeper on him that snaps in the back so I don't know if it's possible for him to get it off anyway.

Any other ideas? If you all think I can get him trained and it is time, where do I start? He does go into the bathroom with me all the time and has from the very start. He loves to flush the toilet and put toilet paper into it and watch it go down. He will play on his potty chair and even sit on it without diaper/pants but he's not on it long.  I don't know where to even start when it is time.

Thanks so much!

December 9, 2007, 5:39 pm CST

Potty Training a boy-telling me he has to go

I have a 2 1/2 year old son.  We have been potty training now for 4 1/2 months now.  He knows where he has to pee and poop.  If I take him every hour, he will go in the potty.   The problem is that he doesn't tell me when he has to go.  He might every blue moon, but not on a consistent basis at all.  He was telling me more the past month he had to go.   What do I do?   I will ask him if he has to pee or poop and he will tell me no and then he will pee his pants.  Then he tells me he has to go after he already went.  He usually tells me if we are in public that he has to pee though on a very consistent basis.   I don't understand why he can do it in public, but not at home.   His speech is beyond, but he grabs his croutch area to let me know and says mama.    What can I do to help him tell me that he has to go to the potty more frequently at home?      

December 25, 2007, 7:29 pm CST

Not all children learn the same!

I don't feel that pointing out she's Wrong will help in anyway. I know that you will have to figure out her way of learning. If there is so type of abuse, as her mother there should be other signs. I know as a parent I would hate to suspect something like that. But, you know who your children are around. I look at everyone as a potential preditor. Truth is when it comes to your babies, there's not any reason you should take a chance. I think maybe expressing the "big girl" advantages may help. My mother says I basically potty trained my sister. She was interested in what I was doing. I am 2 years older than she. Does she have an older sibling or maybe a cousin. Kids learn by watching others. My son is 19 mos. I bought a potty chair about 3 months ago. He had no interest at all. Now that he wants to accompany me to the potty. I talk to him about what I am doing. He was a little slow on speech. He still only says words that make sense when it's in his favor. But, I have learned whatever it is you do...stick with it! Sometimes, they just form routine. I used to chase him for a bath. Now he almost jumps in with me! They look up to us. Mommy is like a hero to them. If you feel that taking your daughter to speak with someone about it. You should! Your the mother. You care for and love this child beyond understanding of just a relative or stranger. You have a bond and instinct. If something doesn't feel right. Check into it! But, by no means let anyone make you feel that you are doing it wrong. Some kids need time. My step son got kicked out of school for going in his pants. He was over 4 years old. The last time he pooped on himself in my care. I just told him it was what puppies do. He didn't think that was very cool. The underware trick works too. Find her fav character, get some neat panties. Maybe she will need more incentive. I don't think it should all be a reward type arrangement. But, there is an understanding that can be reached. I pray that there is nothing going on that may harm her. Sometimes, kids don't want to upset or anger the parents. Check into all of your options! I wouldn't outright ask if someone has done a specific thing. Kids imaginations can wonder wildly if a seed is planted. There are hints. There are conversations that a 4 year old can understand, but not build a story with the info you provide. I hope all works out! I have seen some pretty good ideas. Ignore those who try to write off your situation as bad parenting, or lazy. Do your best! My sister wet the bed until she was 14 years old. My parents made fun of her. We all did! We would call her "pee-pot" and other harsh names. Come to find out she had a real medical condition! In this case it may be so. I have a cousin who poops himself. He 12 years old. My aunt gets so upset! She says sometimes he wil wear it all day at school. I tell her, if it is not a physical problem. He must be lacking in some other way. It is un-natural for a child to wear it at that age. But, 4 years old! They are still babies in my book. If it is for attention, give it in a positive way. Try not to seem so "put-out" by the mistake. Express she really should try harder to be a "big-girl" My son loves the Elmo's Potty time. They sing dance and it makes him think it's fun. I wish you best! Try the DVD! It could help.

January 1, 2008, 1:59 pm CST

pottytraining

i have a two year old that i am trying to potty train and she seems that she cant the potty training at all i was wondering if  you can give me some ideas to help her potty train her better thanks

January 9, 2008, 5:30 pm CST

Trying to get my stubbon 4 yr old to poo on toilet

Hey there...my son was 4 in october he is very stubbon the problem is he wont do poos on toilet!!! We have tried alot of things charts treats ect..nothing seems to work.he asks for a big boy jocky (pull up) whitch i hve taken off him since monday today is thursday to get him out of the habbit..he is still holding on but busting my now 7 yr had the same prob and didnt go for 14 days took him to doctor and ended up having supositreys which he didnt like so was either that or do poos on toilet.so he did poos on toilet ...I dont want to scare this one into doing poos..maybe  

its my parenting skills? lol i was wondering if there was any technic as to help...Ive read alot of  message boards with people with the same problem and the answer to most of them is let them do it in there own time.us as mothers dont want to here that we just want to solve the problem rite? any help would be much appreciated thanks....

January 15, 2008, 8:22 am CST

HELP!! my son is 3 and absolutely refuses to go potty

I am desperate for some help !! my son turned 3 in december, and I have been working with him for about 8 months now to go potty, and he absolutely refuses to go!! he throws a huge fit when i put him on it, he acts like im torturing him, I have tried EVERYTHING!! treats , privileges, anything that I can think of. when I say you have to be a big boy, nope hes not a big boy, hes a little boy. daddy does it!! nope he doesn't.. when I just take off his diaper.. he throws a fit and tries to put his own diaper on!!! I need some help...... PLEASE!!!!

January 18, 2008, 8:29 am CST

Parents want to spank

I am a grandma of a 33 month old grandson. I have been babysitting  all of his 33 months. His mom and I have been potty training him togather. He is doing great. But when he has a accident his parents always wants to spank him. And this is not a right thing to do. And I tell them about it too. His mom always says it worked with the other 2 so it will work with him. Not, I'm not going to have it. I know he will be trained in his own time and its OK if he has a accident oncve in awhile. I have read alot of these messages and I know alot of these parents wished that their kid was doing so good. What can I say to stop them from spanking him when its not called for?????

January 28, 2008, 5:08 pm CST

WOW!

Quote From: serez03

Wow, I can't believe it she is 4 and not potty trained my goodness.  I seems to me you are to lenient on her getting her way all the time.  I don't mean to offend in any way but 4 years old come on. She doesn't need any therapy you need to be consistant on what you do.  I have hree daughters the oldest is 2 and was potty trained at 18 months and the twins are now 18 months are I have started potty training.  They now understand what pipi and CACA (Poop) is and are starting to understand it is not riht to use it on there undies.  I get them on panties when i get home from work and I am constantly asking if they want to pipi and taking them to the potty every 15 minutes until the pipi (urine) is in the potty. piecs of chocolate as a reward if they do and nothing if they don't. 

Your daughter is now 4 years old take her to the potty make her see that she is old enough and how she feels to be in diapers and the other kids in undies. but be consistent.  Have you taken her to the store with her pants wet and tell her how everybody is looking at her wet.  Just have patience and Consistent if you notice she is needing to go to the rest room take her don't let her run over you and get her way.  Kids are very smart and can get you you trained if you are not as stubborn as they are.

Don't give up and keep at it Good Luck! 

WOW!  I can not believe how rude and judgmental you are!  Message boards are for parents that are frustrated and seeking advice.  I'm having the same problem.  My son potty trained within two weeks of turning 3 and my daughter turns 4 next month and I have worked with her for over a year and can not get to fully potty trained.  I came to the message board to find out what other parents had success with..........but was amazed that you would write something so harsh to a frustrated parent!  I am also not lenient with my child and I do not let her run all over me.  I've considered contacting our pediatrician to see if there is a medical condition that is preventing her from making to the potty 100 percent of the time.  I am a worried, frustrated mother and seeing your e-mail response angered me.  In the future, before you respond, choose your words more carefully.

February 10, 2008, 11:54 am CST

potty training a six year old

Dear Dr. Phil,

I emailed Robin also but maybe you might have some suggestions also.

anything at this point will help. we do not have great health insurance so I am unsure of who to trust at this point.

thank you, Cathy

First | Prev | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | Next | Last