Message Boards

Topic : Potty Training

Number of Replies: 526
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:08:55 pm
Author : dataimport
Looking for advice on potty training? Share your trials, tribulations, tips and tricks with others here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 13, 2008, 1:14 am CST

Please don't judge. I just need help

My daughter recently turned 6. When she was 3, she was perfectly potty trained and didn't even have accidents at night. When I left her dad shortly before she turned 4, she regressed and has never quit the regression. My son was potty trained at 2.5. I helped to train my little brother and my little sis, who were also trained fairly young too. I've tried everything with my daughter. She has a stubborn streak that was evident the moment she was born and it's never stopped. She knows under no uncertain terms that NO ONE approves of her self-admitted laziness ("I don't LIKE going potty!"). Rewards don't work; consistency doesn't work; removal of privileges doesn't work. I don't doubt that she wants more attention from me. Since I left her abusive dad, I've struggled endlessly to make ends meet and such. Right now I'm an undergrad student (full time), I have two jobs and two kids. I don't doubt she feels my stress and doesn't have enough quality time. It's hard to have quality time...like reading together or just cuddling while watching a movie...when she persists in her strong headedness. She is no longer allowed to sit on my fabric couch because she'll just sit there in her wetness, messing the couch and not telling me or changing. I've had her wash her own clothing in the tub to show her it's more work to mess than to use the toilet. She enjoyed washing the clothes. I could go on but the bottom line is I've reached my wits' end. I'm begging for REALLY good ideas/help. Will she ever stop/grow up?

February 16, 2008, 3:34 pm CST

Potty Training

Quote From: jojo5623

I am desperate for some help !! my son turned 3 in december, and I have been working with him for about 8 months now to go potty, and he absolutely refuses to go!! he throws a huge fit when i put him on it, he acts like im torturing him, I have tried EVERYTHING!! treats , privileges, anything that I can think of. when I say you have to be a big boy, nope hes not a big boy, hes a little boy. daddy does it!! nope he doesn't.. when I just take off his diaper.. he throws a fit and tries to put his own diaper on!!! I need some help...... PLEASE!!!!
Don't feel too bad.  My daughter is almost three and does the same thing.  She screams like you are trying to rip out her fingernails.  Do you have a younger child in your home?  I have been told that having a younger child use the potty before them may almost shame them into using it.  Also, Does your child "like" being wet?  I was informed to try this with my daugter, and I will be doing this starting tonight.  Don't change him unless he is poopy or is really really wet.  Most kids, according to my source, don't like to be wet.  I can write back and let you know how that worked out with my daughter if you like. 

February 18, 2008, 6:07 am CST

can not find large enough potty chair?

my son is very large 4 year old and have bough so many potty chairs, however i cant find 1 big enough,
where can i find one for a large boy?

February 22, 2008, 9:33 pm CST

potty for big boy

Quote From: omar888

my son is very large 4 year old and have bough so many potty chairs, however i cant find 1 big enough,
where can i find one for a large boy?

Use the regular one if he is large. if he cant stand and pee yet put on the child seat that goes over the regular seat, if hes still to big for that then i would leave it off.

February 27, 2008, 7:50 pm CST

Me too!

Quote From: cdeere

WOW!  I can not believe how rude and judgmental you are!  Message boards are for parents that are frustrated and seeking advice.  I'm having the same problem.  My son potty trained within two weeks of turning 3 and my daughter turns 4 next month and I have worked with her for over a year and can not get to fully potty trained.  I came to the message board to find out what other parents had success with..........but was amazed that you would write something so harsh to a frustrated parent!  I am also not lenient with my child and I do not let her run all over me.  I've considered contacting our pediatrician to see if there is a medical condition that is preventing her from making to the potty 100 percent of the time.  I am a worried, frustrated mother and seeing your e-mail response angered me.  In the future, before you respond, choose your words more carefully.

I am also having trouble potty training my 4 year old daughter and the problem is not being too lenient.  I have been working with her since she was 2 and she was very good at sitting on the potty by the time she was about 30 months, then we moved to a new house (are 1st w/2 floors) and she wouldn't use the potty at all while we lived there. 

We have since moved to a new state and a small apartment, she goes through periods when she will use the potty all day sometimes (even though her timing is mostly off) and then she will not use it at all for a while.  I let her pick out her own potty (our 2nd, she said she didn't like the 1st) and she even had her 1st bowel movement in it 2 1/2 months ago all by herself, but since then its been on and off.

She is highly intelligent (her speech and thought process is way above her age) and she knows what the potty's for and that big girls need to use it and not they're underpants, but when I ask her if she wants to use it she will say "no" or "later" or she is even in the stage where she says she doesn't want to be a big girl.  She even said she didn't want her birthday this year because she doesn't want to grow up!

I'm not sure what to do and could use advice but I am certainly not going to force her or embarrass her in public as serez03 suggests in her most definately insensitive post!

February 27, 2008, 9:29 pm CST

Potty Training

Quote From: cdeere

WOW!  I can not believe how rude and judgmental you are!  Message boards are for parents that are frustrated and seeking advice.  I'm having the same problem.  My son potty trained within two weeks of turning 3 and my daughter turns 4 next month and I have worked with her for over a year and can not get to fully potty trained.  I came to the message board to find out what other parents had success with..........but was amazed that you would write something so harsh to a frustrated parent!  I am also not lenient with my child and I do not let her run all over me.  I've considered contacting our pediatrician to see if there is a medical condition that is preventing her from making to the potty 100 percent of the time.  I am a worried, frustrated mother and seeing your e-mail response angered me.  In the future, before you respond, choose your words more carefully.
I agree. My son is three, and I have been working with him since he turned two. He goes "poo poo' on the potty, but does not urinate in it He does get the concept, I believe his body is just not ready. While possible, it is not likely that this women had her children trained by 18 months.The children have to have control over the"valve" that holds and releases urine, which only comes with maturity.If Iwere you, I would take your four year old to the doctor and not leave him alone until you are sure ths is not something physiological.

March 3, 2008, 8:04 pm CST

regression in potty training

I have a three year old son who for the most part has been fully potty trained since 2 1/2 years old.  He has a little brother who is 18 months and hasn't started potty training yet.  In the last 3 weeks my three year old has been having pee accidents around our house.  I can't understand why he is doing this when he normally has done such a great job with using the bathroom.   My husband and I could really use some advice on what we could do for him. 

March 5, 2008, 12:39 pm CST

We are going through the same

Quote From: ddjrjm

I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter and a 3 week old son. My daughter was completely potty trained before I gave birth to my son. Training her at night took a little while, but everything went well. Her daddy and I were so proud of her, but now it has seemed to backfire. She did not want to wear her diaper to bed before, she pretty much let us know that she was ready to sleep with underwear on. Her first accident in the night wasn't until her little brother came home and since then we have been trying to find a way to retrain her. It has caused arguements between the two of us, feelings of hopelessness, and probably confusion for her. 

Would anyone who has went through this please send back some advice for me on this or any other future battle I might have to deal with.    

Hi, My husband and I are going through the same thing with our little boys.  Our oldest son is now 3 1/2 and for the most part has been fully potty trained since he was 2  but in the last month or so he has been having several accidents on our floors.  We also have an 18 month son who is still in diapers yet.  We think our oldest is having the accidents because he wants more attention from us.  We don't have any real answers to the problem either and it is frustrating us too - we can empathize with you.   I believe that once our youngest is fully potty trained the situation will get better with our oldest son - in the mean time we are practicing lots of Patience!  We appreciate any ideas from people who have experienced this too.

March 9, 2008, 4:41 pm CDT

4-1/2 year old going backwards

My 4-1/2 year old was potty trained about a year ago.  About 4 weeks ago he didn't wipe himself very well and ended up with like diaper rash after pooping.  So it hurt a little.  Now he won't poop in the potty he lets it out a little at a time in his underwear.  Then he went on the potty 1 time and he was trying to use his finger to get the poop out so he could make sure it wouldn't be dirty ( a 4 year old logic).  I'm so frustrated!! He was always so good about going before.  Can anyone help us??

March 30, 2008, 7:40 pm CDT

Potty Training

Quote From: mama_cat

I am also having trouble potty training my 4 year old daughter and the problem is not being too lenient.  I have been working with her since she was 2 and she was very good at sitting on the potty by the time she was about 30 months, then we moved to a new house (are 1st w/2 floors) and she wouldn't use the potty at all while we lived there. 

We have since moved to a new state and a small apartment, she goes through periods when she will use the potty all day sometimes (even though her timing is mostly off) and then she will not use it at all for a while.  I let her pick out her own potty (our 2nd, she said she didn't like the 1st) and she even had her 1st bowel movement in it 2 1/2 months ago all by herself, but since then its been on and off.

She is highly intelligent (her speech and thought process is way above her age) and she knows what the potty's for and that big girls need to use it and not they're underpants, but when I ask her if she wants to use it she will say "no" or "later" or she is even in the stage where she says she doesn't want to be a big girl.  She even said she didn't want her birthday this year because she doesn't want to grow up!

I'm not sure what to do and could use advice but I am certainly not going to force her or embarrass her in public as serez03 suggests in her most definately insensitive post!

I don't see what was so rude or insensitive about serez03's post? Just because she was being honest and at the same time offering some helpful advice? If she had said you were a bad mother or lazy, then I would think that was being rude. Honestly, I think all you people who are getting all up-in-arms over her post, know that she is right!

I have to agree with her. Unless a child has a disability, delayed in some way or has a physical problem, there is no excuse for a child not to be potty trained. I mean, 4 and 6 year old girls who aren't potty trained??!! I'm always amazed when I hear things like "Apart from not being toilet trained, she is really advanced for her age and can read" etc Then SHE SHOULD BE TOILET TRAINED! I know what you are going to say  - age of toilet training does not reflect the intelligence of a child. True, but my point is, if a child is that intelligent, they obviously understand what they have to do and it just comes down to the fact that the kids rules the roost and is in charge. I bet they still get privledges and treats, though?

My son who is five has a receptive language delay and until about 6 months ago was functioning, cognitively at a 3 year old level, yet he was fully day trained at 2 years and 5 months and at night by 3 1/2. I'm telling you this because I think my child is better then yours or that I'm a perfect mother because I'm not. I just can't understand how a "normal" child is still in diapers at an age where they are probably able to write their own name. If my child was refusing to use the toilet at 4 or older, I would take away ALL privledges and treats. It's hard, I do it with my own son when he refuses to do what is expected of him and it works. I bet they would  start going on the toilet real soon if you did this consistantly.  This is the problem with many kids today - they just think they can do what they want and get away with it. It starts of with thing like refusing to potty train,(I'm not talking about todllers here, of course this is normal in the todddler years, but kids over 4) refusing to tidy their bedrooms, speaking rudely to parents etc. It's no wonder we have problems with them as teenagers!

I know you are going to think my post was harsh, but it seems that most people on here would get offended, no matter how I'd worded my post. No one likes being told the honest truth in regards to our parenting and what we are doing wrong. I didn't come here to attack people, merely to defend serez03 who I felt was attacked for taking the time out to help another person with a problem they were having.

First | Prev | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | Next | Last