Message Boards

Topic : Potty Training

Number of Replies: 526
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:08:55 pm
Author : dataimport
Looking for advice on potty training? Share your trials, tribulations, tips and tricks with others here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 11, 2005, 10:13 am CDT

Instead of "potty training" try EC-ing

There is this "way of life" not technique called Elimination Communication. You can find out more on the DiaperFreeBaby website. Escentially what it is, is listening to your BABY'S cues an dholding them over the potty. This can be done from birth eliminating the whole diaper thing. It can also be used with older children. I have used it with my son since he was 14 months. Unlike conventional potty training there are no concequences for not using the potty. I like doing this very much. We are almost totally potty trained.

October 12, 2005, 4:43 am CDT

4 years old potty training

Quote From: krbdunne

I have a 4 year old boy and he knows when to use the potty, my son has chosen not to he is just being lazy. I put him in pull ups and big boy underwear he just takes them off and run around following me with diapers. He would rather be in diapers and he wont stop screaming till he gets a diaper on and if I dont do it he does it him self. The only reason we have diapers is because I have a 20 month old boy. What do I do to make him use the potty chair I swear I have tried everything. PLEASE HELP!!!
My oldest in now 15 and I had to put him in cloth diapers at age for for about 2 weeks and then he decided on his own that he wanted to go potty.  I know it is gross but it was so worth the trouble. 

October 12, 2005, 4:47 am CDT

potty traing with 4 month old

Quote From: kaighlee

It's good to know others are struggling with potty training as well.  I use to work in a class of 11 two year olds and helped potty train every single one of them, but with my daughter it has been a struggle.  About three months ago she decided that she didn't like wearing wet diapers any more so she started taking them off and running around naked.  So we started a little potty time.  She will tell me peepee and run to the bathroom, usually when she gets there she's already done it in her pullup.   She'll take her pull up off and climb up to sit on the toilet, ask for toilet paper and wipe herself and flush.  She then jumps off pushes her little stool over to the sink and washes her hands.  NOW if only I can get her to pee in the toilet!  She also tends to take off her pullup if she has a BM and of course it ends up on the floor.  I have a four month old right now and the panty idea just seems too much of a hassle.  We've tried the doll idea, but had to put a stop to it because she liked to put the doll IN the toilet.  I'm not sure if she just does not understand the concept of her peeing in the potty and just enjoys going through the motions or if she does and is being a little stinker to get my attention away from the baby.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

give her lots of extra attention when she sits on the potty. maybe take a book and go and read to just her.  even she does not even sit try not to give her any attention for her negative behavior and really give her attetion when she does what you want her to do.  I have 5 children and also 3 triplets so this is what we try to do to encoarge them all to do it.   

October 12, 2005, 9:59 am CDT

This worked for us

Quote From: triplets05

give her lots of extra attention when she sits on the potty. maybe take a book and go and read to just her.  even she does not even sit try not to give her any attention for her negative behavior and really give her attetion when she does what you want her to do.  I have 5 children and also 3 triplets so this is what we try to do to encoarge them all to do it.   

I have a five year old boy.  He was interest in Potty training at 18 months then wanted nothing to do with it till he was 2.  I do not know how you feel about videos, but the Bear in the Big Blue house video "Potty Time with Bear" helped us bunch.  We also had a really cheesy one with real kids and lots of music.  Then we read him about the potty with Kermit.  Most of them I found at Babies r Us or Toys r Us.  I know it is a pain but regular underware works I got cheap ones from thrift stores and garage sales so if it was really bad I could throw them away.  Hope it works out for you and the best of luck.

October 12, 2005, 10:43 am CDT

Potty Training

We have been trying to potty train our two year old granddaughter.  She will tell us she is stinky, and that she has tee, teed.  However, we can't seem to catch her in time.  I am very interested in seeing again how Dr. Phil recommends that we do this.  My daughter and her future husband do not believe in spanking and I agree with them.  When my children were small we believed that when they were ready they would train themselves.  That is not working with our Sophie, she is a very smart little girl.  We really need Dr. Phil's expertise on this, she has used the potty several times and has gone but it doesn't seem to have any impact on her.  She watches Dr. Phil with her Gram when Gram is not working.  I am hoping that he can help us with this dilemma. 

October 12, 2005, 11:20 am CDT

Help.

My daughter will be 3 years old on Halloween. Because her big sister goes to school so she can't wait to go.  I use to tell her she couldn't go to school until she went pee and poop on the potty.  Well needless to say she peed on the potty once and then said I peed on the potty, you pack my lunch and take me to school.  Well when I explained to her that she had to do it all the time she got really upset and hasn't done it since.   

My main concern is I'm 8 months pregnant now and I'm worried once this baby comes she will see me using diapers on her and then she'll never want to use the potty.  Any advice would be greatly appreicated. 

Thank You. 

Tara 

October 12, 2005, 11:56 am CDT

help!

My daughter will be 2 on the 30th and my husbands family has been very anxious about her being potty trained. Ok, my mother in law. i would like to start her after her birthday because she seems to be ready for it, but she is lazy about it. she won't go if a movie is on or she is playing with her toys. But lately I think that my mother in law has scared her out of it. We see her alot and everytime we see her she is pushing my daughter to use the potty. my daughter will start yelling screaming and saying no. she will drag her to the potty. I've told her that I don't want to force her. but she will say things like well I'm buying her a little port-a -potty and she only needs to run around in a pullup and nothing else. she doesn't like that i use diapers. when she changes my daughter diaper she will put on her pull up because she doesn't need the diaper. i'm a little stressed. i would like to potty train my child but now she is scared out of it and always says no to the potty. what do I do????

October 12, 2005, 1:03 pm CDT

Potty Training

I am a Grandmother now but I raised 4 children of my own 2 boys and 2 girls, the first 3 were pretty easy it was the fourth one who was threatened with being kicked out of preschool if she did not stop wetting her pants. She was going to be 4 in a couple of months and this was in the 80's I tried everything and nothing worked I even put the potty chair in the kitchen. My mother in law came for a visit and told her that she would be back for her birthday and if she did not potty her pants for the 8 weeks till then she would buy her what ever she wanted. wellll it worked and she ended up with a doll house.

October 12, 2005, 2:09 pm CDT

Potty Training

Quote From: wicker

My daughter will be 2 on the 30th and my husbands family has been very anxious about her being potty trained. Ok, my mother in law. i would like to start her after her birthday because she seems to be ready for it, but she is lazy about it. she won't go if a movie is on or she is playing with her toys. But lately I think that my mother in law has scared her out of it. We see her alot and everytime we see her she is pushing my daughter to use the potty. my daughter will start yelling screaming and saying no. she will drag her to the potty. I've told her that I don't want to force her. but she will say things like well I'm buying her a little port-a -potty and she only needs to run around in a pullup and nothing else. she doesn't like that i use diapers. when she changes my daughter diaper she will put on her pull up because she doesn't need the diaper. i'm a little stressed. i would like to potty train my child but now she is scared out of it and always says no to the potty. what do I do????

Children are so individual, and it's hard to generalize from one case to another, but you could try what worked for my daughter.  

She was and still is very much a 'girly girl'. She loved pretty things. So I took her out to a department store and let her pick out the prettiest, floweriest, frilliest panties she could find. They were panties that any little girl would love. 

Then I let her wear the panties without a diaper and said, "But if you wet in the panties, they'll be dirty and you'll have to take them off and put your diaper back on so I can wash the panties." 

There was NEVER an accident in those frillies! I don't know if I scarred her emotionally and some people would say bribing is a bad thing, but it worked like a charm - no fear, no tears, no trauma, just one happy happy girl in frilly purple panties and a big smile. I have that picture in my heart to this very day.  

October 12, 2005, 3:10 pm CDT

Potty Training

Quote From: krbdunne

I have a 4 year old boy and he knows when to use the potty, my son has chosen not to he is just being lazy. I put him in pull ups and big boy underwear he just takes them off and run around following me with diapers. He would rather be in diapers and he wont stop screaming till he gets a diaper on and if I dont do it he does it him self. The only reason we have diapers is because I have a 20 month old boy. What do I do to make him use the potty chair I swear I have tried everything. PLEASE HELP!!!

I have had a horrribly frustrating time with my five year old son.  He knows when he has to go and uses the potty most of the time, but when he is over visiting over Gma's house or too busy playing, he would just go in his pants.  This past week, I was at my wits end.  I even told him there was a shot that the doctor can give that will make him stop going in his pants.   That got his attention at first, then he went back to peeing his pants.  I felt he was just being lazy and not taking time out  when he was playing.  I had tried everything and the "shot", I figured, was the ultimate way to get him to stop....nope.  Did not work.  

Then, last week I went to the dollar store with him.  I had him pick out a journal of his choice and stickers that he liked.  We wrote his name in the front and called the journal "The Potty Book:".  After he went to the potty, he got to put a sticker on that page for that day.   If he pees his pants, he gets a red "x".  At the end of the day, he counts how many stickers he has.  At the bottom of the page he writes the total times he went to the potty.  Then, at the end of the week, he gets a quarter for each sticker.  He counts his quarters and puts them in his piggy bank.  If he receives an "x", then he does not get quarters at all for that day.   

This teaches him math skills, writing his numbers, how to wait for rewards, how to save his earned money, and he actually gets excited  when he sees how many stickers he can get.  The first day he went 10 times!! 

He has had only one accident since we have started.  Anything in place of quarters could be used, too.  You could use just about any incentive that gets your child's attention. 

Hope this helps!! 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last