Message Boards

Topic : Potty Training

Number of Replies: 526
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:08:55 pm
Author : dataimport
Looking for advice on potty training? Share your trials, tribulations, tips and tricks with others here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 12, 2005, 6:44 pm CDT

Poo Poo

My daughter is in the middle of potty trainining. She pee pees in the potty and I reward her for that, but  she will not poo poo in the potty. Instead she poo poos in her panties (she goes in her room and does this) and she plays with it. She rubs it in the carpet and puts it on the walls. I ask her "where does poo poo go?" and she says "in the potty". But she will not do it. She will run back in her room for 5 minutes and then comes back to show me poo poo on her hands. I don't know what to do. It is very stressful. If anyone has any advice please let me know. Thanks.

October 12, 2005, 8:49 pm CDT

Help

I have a 2 1/2 yr old daughter and we have been trying to get her potty trained.  About a year ago we had her doing great and then she just stopped.  I have tried just about everything including potty boot camp of staying home and only wearing a long shirt for a week.  She just doesn't mind being wet.  She will just pee on the floor and stand there and laugh.  She thinks its great that there is now a water puddle in the middle of the living room.  She has never minded being wet, even as an infant she didn't mind having on a wet diaper.  My 3 month old hates wearing a wet diaper so hopefully she will be easier.  I have tried panties with her favorite characters on them and telling her that she doesn't want to get them dirty, but she thinks it is fun because she gets another pair.  I have tried the learning designs on pull ups that disappear when they get wet, but she comes to me and says momma I need another diaper my bows are all gone.  If you sit her on a potty she will stay there for up to an hour and not try to get up.  If she decides she has to go while she is sitting there she will pee or poop in the potty, but if she isn't already there she doesn't care about getting her pants dirty.  Any suggestions?

October 12, 2005, 9:37 pm CDT

pee pee is the problem!

my son just turned 2 last month. he is very good about pooping on the potty (faithfully), but the pee pee is the problem, usually it is the other way around!!! he has been pooping on the potty for about 4 months now, but last week i really decided to buckle down on the pee problem, he was really good for the whole week with almost no accidents,i took away the pull-ups and diapers (except at night) and he wears really undies now. like i said, he was really good last week, but this week he absolutely does not want to go on the potty. i used the sticker technique and the calling people to tell them technique, but he is over that.  he will pee in his pants and deny that he did and run away when i ask if he went pee pee in them, he will get really upset and yell or try to turn me around so i can't see (i don't make it a big deal, just remind him that he needs to go in the potty and tell me when he needs to go) then when i try to change them his fit gets even worse, i have even tried just leaving them on him wet until he is ready to change them, but he doesn't want to-ever!  i am so confused. why did he do ssooo good last week with almost now accidents even to speak of and now he absolutely refuses to use the potty except to poop?? any suggestion or comments? 

October 12, 2005, 9:43 pm CDT

i can sympathize!!

Quote From: dannasdogs

I have a 2 1/2 yr old daughter and we have been trying to get her potty trained.  About a year ago we had her doing great and then she just stopped.  I have tried just about everything including potty boot camp of staying home and only wearing a long shirt for a week.  She just doesn't mind being wet.  She will just pee on the floor and stand there and laugh.  She thinks its great that there is now a water puddle in the middle of the living room.  She has never minded being wet, even as an infant she didn't mind having on a wet diaper.  My 3 month old hates wearing a wet diaper so hopefully she will be easier.  I have tried panties with her favorite characters on them and telling her that she doesn't want to get them dirty, but she thinks it is fun because she gets another pair.  I have tried the learning designs on pull ups that disappear when they get wet, but she comes to me and says momma I need another diaper my bows are all gone.  If you sit her on a potty she will stay there for up to an hour and not try to get up.  If she decides she has to go while she is sitting there she will pee or poop in the potty, but if she isn't already there she doesn't care about getting her pants dirty.  Any suggestions?
my 2 year son is pretty much doing the same thing. we had him almost potty trained about 4-5 months ago, but we went on a 2 week trip and it all went out the window except the pooping part. his is still pooping on the potty, will stop anything that he is doing to go, but a refuses to pee in the potty. last week i tried to buckle down and get it done, he was really good again, but this week there are tantrums and refusing to go near the toilet at all. he won't let me change his pants when they are wet, but like your daughter, it is almost a game to them. just know that your not alone, obviously!!! good luck!

October 12, 2005, 10:02 pm CDT

Potty Training

Quote From: wicker

My daughter will be 2 on the 30th and my husbands family has been very anxious about her being potty trained. Ok, my mother in law. i would like to start her after her birthday because she seems to be ready for it, but she is lazy about it. she won't go if a movie is on or she is playing with her toys. But lately I think that my mother in law has scared her out of it. We see her alot and everytime we see her she is pushing my daughter to use the potty. my daughter will start yelling screaming and saying no. she will drag her to the potty. I've told her that I don't want to force her. but she will say things like well I'm buying her a little port-a -potty and she only needs to run around in a pullup and nothing else. she doesn't like that i use diapers. when she changes my daughter diaper she will put on her pull up because she doesn't need the diaper. i'm a little stressed. i would like to potty train my child but now she is scared out of it and always says no to the potty. what do I do????

i have a problem with my mother-in-law with the pacifier, gum, candy, you name it! i know that it is really hard to do and might cause some problems for a short time, but i think that you should tell your m-i-l to step back and let you decide what you want for your child. reading all the other comments, in alot of them, it says that if you  make it a big deal or make it a negative/bad experience, the child will connect the negative emotions, etc. with the potty training. maybe just put it on hold for a couple more weeks/months to let your child forget the negativity associated with it for the time being and try again when you think that she is ready and when your in-laws aren't forcing her to do something that she has to learn and want to do on her own. 

maybe while you are trying to potty train her, don't let your in-laws around her for that week or couple of weeks so she doesn't feel pushed by them.  

also, i read that she is putting on the pull-ups for her, i found that pull-ups didn't work at all, in fact when i put them on my son, he just called it his big-boy diaper, so we are trying just big boy underwear. i am having problems potty training as well, so good luck with it!! 

October 14, 2005, 11:04 am CDT

Getting Started

My son is almost 2 and a half.  I am having trouble starting potty training.  He wants nothing to do with that potty!  He watches Daddy go and if you ask him where you pee, he says the potty.  But asking him to try, he screams NO!  He even gets weird if you pull his diaper off for more than  a few minutes.  I potty trained my daughter 10 YEARS ago and don't really remember how we started.  I also put the potty in the living room and he'll sit on it like a chair with the lid down only.  Any suggestions?

October 14, 2005, 11:35 am CDT

Potty Training

Quote From: mrsmud

My son is almost 2 and a half.  I am having trouble starting potty training.  He wants nothing to do with that potty!  He watches Daddy go and if you ask him where you pee, he says the potty.  But asking him to try, he screams NO!  He even gets weird if you pull his diaper off for more than  a few minutes.  I potty trained my daughter 10 YEARS ago and don't really remember how we started.  I also put the potty in the living room and he'll sit on it like a chair with the lid down only.  Any suggestions?

I am in the midst of potty training my son, he will be 3 in January.  I actually bought the anatomically correct doll that went pee, and this seemed to really work with my son.  - We aren't completely trained in one day, but we have had some success.  Everything was going really well for awhile but then we have back slided a bit.    So with the doll, and I put him in big boy underwear and he will tell me if he has to pee- most of the time!!   the past few days have been rough, (I have a 3 month old colicy infant_ I think this is the reason for the backslide.    There is another post on here about putting marbles in a happy face jar each time they go.  I think that is a great idea, and will probably try that.      Good luck,  What I found is just once you start don't go back.  Which is the toughest thing to do...   And I only use pull ups if I know we will be away from a bathroom for more then an hour..   But I do think the Dr. Phil program does work, when he has an accident just keep taking him into the potty.  I try to be super positve about the whole thing which I think is totally key!!   

Good Luck 

October 19, 2005, 10:15 am CDT

Potty trained my son~!

When my son was 2 1/2 we started potty training and I came to fine out that depending on your child sometimes it is better to wait until they are three or much closer to three years old.  I took him completely out of diapers in January put him in big boy underwear during the day and pull-ups at night but I found all that did was confuse him. 

So  when he turned three in July we only put him in underwear and of course he had a couple of accidents which is to be expected but now here we are in October and hes perfect hes even waking himself up now inthe middle of the night when he has to go potty.  He still prefers myself or his daddy going in their with him during the night but we can handle that! 

I just wwanted him completely potty trained before my baby is born in January, because the last thing you want is to have two kids in diapers if its truly not necessary. 

October 20, 2005, 10:29 am CDT

Potty Training

Quote From: jhollow36

i have a problem with my mother-in-law with the pacifier, gum, candy, you name it! i know that it is really hard to do and might cause some problems for a short time, but i think that you should tell your m-i-l to step back and let you decide what you want for your child. reading all the other comments, in alot of them, it says that if you  make it a big deal or make it a negative/bad experience, the child will connect the negative emotions, etc. with the potty training. maybe just put it on hold for a couple more weeks/months to let your child forget the negativity associated with it for the time being and try again when you think that she is ready and when your in-laws aren't forcing her to do something that she has to learn and want to do on her own. 

maybe while you are trying to potty train her, don't let your in-laws around her for that week or couple of weeks so she doesn't feel pushed by them.  

also, i read that she is putting on the pull-ups for her, i found that pull-ups didn't work at all, in fact when i put them on my son, he just called it his big-boy diaper, so we are trying just big boy underwear. i am having problems potty training as well, so good luck with it!! 

I know how you guys feel.  I two have dealt with the self-proclaimed supermom in law!  I agree that your daughter should be separated for a bit if you think now is the time for potty training.  I had to do the same thing but do to punishment.  Since day one, I had received "advise" from my mother-in-law.  But then it got worse!  We moved and now are only 3 hrs. away from them!  I love my in-laws but my MIN is overpowering.  We have been told that we abused him for having him go to bed without dinner even though he was given many chances to eat and by this point it was his bed time.  The latest though has been about spanking him.  My husband and I do spank our son appropriately but do not allow others to do so.  My MIN had a real problem with this and so we told her that if they could not live by this rule he would not be allowed to stay at their house.  They weren't happy about it but they wanted to see their grandson!  And about the Pull-ups I agree that they are a waste of money!  My son uses them like a diaper!  Also, my son was terrified of the toilet.  I found that time, patients, and a potty seat to put on the big toilet helped.  We are still in the process and we will get there!  Good luck!

October 22, 2005, 4:45 pm CDT

What does this mean

My son is now 27months old and not extremely  interested in going to the potty. Although every once in a while he will do this most disgusting thing.  When I lay him down for a nap he'll pull his pull up off and toss his BM every where. Other times when he's walking around and has just gone poo he'll stick his hands in his pants and smear the BM all over his clothing. I have a 9 year old daughter and I don't believe she did anything like this. Well I know she didn't., thus leaving me not knowing how to handle this. I mean I am clueless. 

He seems like he may be ready. He is showing a lot of the signs but when I sit him down to go he will sit but not go. He and I sat once for a whole hour on his little potty but nothing. I'm out of good ideas.. Someone please help me!!!! 

Grossed Out and Tapped Out 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last