Message Boards

Topic : Potty Training

Number of Replies: 526
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:08:55 pm
Author : dataimport
Looking for advice on potty training? Share your trials, tribulations, tips and tricks with others here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 24, 2005, 8:04 pm CDT

any tips?

I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter and  i can not get her potty trained at ALL. My sister in laws  daughter and her are 3 months apart and shes already pottytrained so i always here "you should do this or thry this" it really gets annoying because i work with kayleigh alot and i get sick and tired of hearing negative comments all the time when we get back from walking which is usually about 10:00 am. we put her panties on she has them on all day she will pee and poop in them she doesnot care she will tell u after she does it PLEASE is there any help for my daughter

October 26, 2005, 7:25 pm CDT

Potty Training

Quote From: larissantomason

I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter and  i can not get her potty trained at ALL. My sister in laws  daughter and her are 3 months apart and shes already pottytrained so i always here "you should do this or thry this" it really gets annoying because i work with kayleigh alot and i get sick and tired of hearing negative comments all the time when we get back from walking which is usually about 10:00 am. we put her panties on she has them on all day she will pee and poop in them she doesnot care she will tell u after she does it PLEASE is there any help for my daughter

hi, i just read your letter. it almost sounds like you think that just because the other is already potty trained that your daughter should be too. my son is finally just starting to get the hang of it, he just turned 2 but i have a friend that her son is 3 1/2 and will sometimes, but most of the time would rather not. he doesn't care if his pants are wet and will scream and throw a fit if they are poopy, like he would rather wear them that way.  

out of  the research that i have done, says that most kids aren't ready until 2 1/2 to 3 years. if she shows absolutely no sign of it, i would cool it for a few weeks and then start up again with an entirely differant strategy. i am just saying what worked for me.  

we had to lay off for about two weeks to let him and myself and my husband calm down (i know how frustrating it is) and just not even think about it. then i went and got 2 small food storage containers, filled them with candy and he helped me decorate them with stickers and puffy paint. i told him that these were his "special candy jars" and that everytime he went potty in the potty he would get a piece of candy, if he had and accident and didn't tell me, then he would not, and even if he had an accident but just told me too late he would, for the effort of letting me know. if he did have an accident and was just too busy to tell me i would say maybe next time (cheerfully), never acting upset, frustrated, or irritated with it.  

it has been about 3-4 weeks and he tells me all the time, just a little late sometimes. you know how busy kids get!!! anyway, some people say that this is "bribing" my child, i look at it as an award system. he does something positive and he gets a positive thing for it. morinngs and nightime are a little tricky. who do you know wants to give their child a reeses buttercup right before bed?  i did it anyway and it really never even affected him, just be sure that he brushes his teeth before bed and even if he eats it afterward, i made him rinse his month out with water before he laid down. 

i would say that half the time, he doesn't even ask for a candy now when he goes, just flushes, washes, and then we do a little pee-pee dance!!! i did set a time limit for it also, i told him that after Halloween candy is all gone, no more candy for potty. i sure that he doesn't understand that yet, but we will deal with it when it comes next week.  

i don't want to sould like a know-it-all, i just wanted to suggest things that worked for me, i hope that you have luck soon one way or another with your daughter!!!! 

October 30, 2005, 5:19 pm CST

at my wits end

I recently obtained custody of my 3 1/2 yr old nephew...... i have been potty training him over the last 2 1/2 months. He does pee in the potty most of the time unless he is playing outside. i have been doing everything i can think of to get him to poop. he will go into another room and hide and poop in his pants whether he is in underware or a pull up. when i catch him going i immediately take him to the potty. he screams and protests. my doctor suggested to lean him over a little bit and hug him and encourage him to go. that way he cant squeeze his butt and keep from going......it hasnt worked. he goes in the bathroom when someone else is going, trying to show him the process..........i even started him a sticker chart. i have gone as far as making him sit on the potty for 10-15 minutes when i catch him starting to go and he still will not go on the potty. i am very frustrated and at the end of my rope. can someone please give me a suggestion that i havent already used?

November 1, 2005, 8:46 am CST

DON'T WORRY

Quote From: bjleib

I recently obtained custody of my 3 1/2 yr old nephew...... i have been potty training him over the last 2 1/2 months. He does pee in the potty most of the time unless he is playing outside. i have been doing everything i can think of to get him to poop. he will go into another room and hide and poop in his pants whether he is in underware or a pull up. when i catch him going i immediately take him to the potty. he screams and protests. my doctor suggested to lean him over a little bit and hug him and encourage him to go. that way he cant squeeze his butt and keep from going......it hasnt worked. he goes in the bathroom when someone else is going, trying to show him the process..........i even started him a sticker chart. i have gone as far as making him sit on the potty for 10-15 minutes when i catch him starting to go and he still will not go on the potty. i am very frustrated and at the end of my rope. can someone please give me a suggestion that i havent already used?

I have 3 children and they all learned everything at different times.  My oldest practically potty trained himself when he began walking everyone told me what a great job I did.  It wasn't me -HE was ready.  Now I have a 3 year old who will not even try.  He hates the potty. He hates underwear. My husband and some family members look down their nose at me - what are you doing wrong?  I'm doing the same as the other children - even added new stategies with Dr. Phil's advise.  Nothing works because he is not ready.  He will be I know.  What other people think can make you very frustrated, but fear not - he will go when he is ready.  Cherish this time, it will be over so fast.  No one else walks in your shoes but you.  GOOD LUCK! 

November 3, 2005, 1:29 pm CST

Is He Too Young

I am starting to potty train my 20 month old he is all about it but sometimes you can ask him if he needs to use the bathroom and he will tell you no But he will use it in his dipper. Should I take him out of dipper in the day time?? Or do you think that he is too young?????????????

November 7, 2005, 3:15 pm CST

Frustrated

My son is around 2 1/2 years old and we've been potty training him for awhile now, he goes pee only when we put him on the toilet, he wont tell us when he has to go, and he refuses to go poop. I know his body language enough to know when he has to go, but then he refuses to go. He will sit on the potty, go pee, get off and then immediatly have an accident. My husband and I are completely clueless as to how we can get him to start expressing his need to use the potty and how we can get him to start going #2 in the potty as well. Any ideas?

November 7, 2005, 6:53 pm CST

To pee in the potty was easy #2 is the problem for us...

Quote From: jhollow36

my son just turned 2 last month. he is very good about pooping on the potty (faithfully), but the pee pee is the problem, usually it is the other way around!!! he has been pooping on the potty for about 4 months now, but last week i really decided to buckle down on the pee problem, he was really good for the whole week with almost no accidents,i took away the pull-ups and diapers (except at night) and he wears really undies now. like i said, he was really good last week, but this week he absolutely does not want to go on the potty. i used the sticker technique and the calling people to tell them technique, but he is over that.  he will pee in his pants and deny that he did and run away when i ask if he went pee pee in them, he will get really upset and yell or try to turn me around so i can't see (i don't make it a big deal, just remind him that he needs to go in the potty and tell me when he needs to go) then when i try to change them his fit gets even worse, i have even tried just leaving them on him wet until he is ready to change them, but he doesn't want to-ever!  i am so confused. why did he do ssooo good last week with almost now accidents even to speak of and now he absolutely refuses to use the potty except to poop?? any suggestion or comments? 
 My bigest issue with my 2 1/2 year old is doing #2 on the potty. So, you are lucky that your son has that conquered. As for pee, he will do that on the potty, but once he has his diaper on he is dependant on that.

The thing that did help me out with getting him use to the potty and liking to pee on the potty is this. One morning as I was changing him out of his jammies, I changed his shirt, but no diaper and no pants. I put his potty in the livingroom, where I knew he would be playing most of the day. That morning I filled him up with liquids and set the microwave timer for 30 mins. Every 30 mins it was time to sit on the potty. We had 3 accidents that day - hardwood floor, so it was easy to wipe up - 2 the next day and none the next day, but I kept having to ask if he needs to go potty. I did put a diaper back on him at nap time, but when he woke, diaper was off. I bought padded underwear and bought transfer paper and put race cars on one pair, Diego and Boots on the other 2 pairs. He loves to wear them as they are his favorite things. We even had my husband show him how to pee in the potty and tell our son he is making bubble. We all know little ones like bubbles, so that adds to the joy of peeing in the potty. Hope this helps. If you have any tips for # 2 please let me know. I am getting frustrated.

November 7, 2005, 8:20 pm CST

Potty Training

potty training isn't always easy but one thing that I have noticed with my girls is that they go when they are ready. My oldest was easy, but my youngest, will be 3 in Feb. is stubborn about it, I finally just put her back in pull ups and didn't say anything for a while, I always put her on the potty when I am running her bath water and when she is brushing her teeth, sometimes she will go, otehr times she won't but this past week, she has been sitting herslef on the potty or going when her 4 year old sister tells her too LOL. She doesn't always do anything in it, but she will do it when she is ready. My advice is to every one potty training, be patient and go with the flow, work with them but don't get stressed, they will go when they are ready.

November 10, 2005, 12:31 pm CST

Potty Training

Quote From: iluvmyboyz

My bigest issue with my 2 1/2 year old is doing #2 on the potty. So, you are lucky that your son has that conquered. As for pee, he will do that on the potty, but once he has his diaper on he is dependant on that.

The thing that did help me out with getting him use to the potty and liking to pee on the potty is this. One morning as I was changing him out of his jammies, I changed his shirt, but no diaper and no pants. I put his potty in the livingroom, where I knew he would be playing most of the day. That morning I filled him up with liquids and set the microwave timer for 30 mins. Every 30 mins it was time to sit on the potty. We had 3 accidents that day - hardwood floor, so it was easy to wipe up - 2 the next day and none the next day, but I kept having to ask if he needs to go potty. I did put a diaper back on him at nap time, but when he woke, diaper was off. I bought padded underwear and bought transfer paper and put race cars on one pair, Diego and Boots on the other 2 pairs. He loves to wear them as they are his favorite things. We even had my husband show him how to pee in the potty and tell our son he is making bubble. We all know little ones like bubbles, so that adds to the joy of peeing in the potty. Hope this helps. If you have any tips for # 2 please let me know. I am getting frustrated.
 Try making a game of peeing on cheerios.  Put a few cheerios in the potty and tell him to try and aim at them ....to pee on the cheerios.  I have a friend that has a son and it worked for her...doesn't hurt to try it.

November 10, 2005, 12:38 pm CST

Potty Training

Quote From: dcrainey

My son is now 27months old and not extremely  interested in going to the potty. Although every once in a while he will do this most disgusting thing.  When I lay him down for a nap he'll pull his pull up off and toss his BM every where. Other times when he's walking around and has just gone poo he'll stick his hands in his pants and smear the BM all over his clothing. I have a 9 year old daughter and I don't believe she did anything like this. Well I know she didn't., thus leaving me not knowing how to handle this. I mean I am clueless. 

He seems like he may be ready. He is showing a lot of the signs but when I sit him down to go he will sit but not go. He and I sat once for a whole hour on his little potty but nothing. I'm out of good ideas.. Someone please help me!!!! 

Grossed Out and Tapped Out 

I can laugh now, but I too once had a problem like the one you have now.  My daughter now three years old she too used to do this.  At naptime she would pull off her diaper and play with her poo.  Drawing with it all over her todler bed..and sometimes on the walls and some toys.  Well as soon as the smell would reach me on the bottom floor I would just be freaking out that she did it again.  Well I watched doctor Phil one day and I forget what it was about, but something he said helped out.  He said something about replacing something you don't like with something else or other I forget.  Anyway get the kid some playdough.  That's what I did for my daughter and it stopped.  Good luck.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last