Message Boards

Topic : Potty Training

Number of Replies: 526
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:08:55 pm
Author : dataimport
Looking for advice on potty training? Share your trials, tribulations, tips and tricks with others here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 11, 2005, 2:23 pm CST

Regression

My four year old daughter had mastered going to the bathroom a little more than a year ago. Just when my son was born. She went into minor regression but only at times. Her accidents were minimal but have seem to grow as she got older. She wouldn't have full accidents but would try to hold it and "leak" making her clothes wet. It seems that it doesnt bother her to get wet and some days she's great and others she'll have two or three accidents. This sound familiar to anyone?

November 13, 2005, 1:08 am CST

4 years and still in diapers

My son will be 4 years old in 2 months and is still in pull ups. 

About 8 months ago he would pee in the toilet,no problem.Then he stopped. 

Then about 6 months ago he started pooping on the toilet but  wont pee.  

I cant put him in preschool cause they wont take him in diapers......soooooo frustrating! 

November 13, 2005, 6:55 pm CST

Potty Training

Quote From: chevy23

My son will be 4 years old in 2 months and is still in pull ups. 

About 8 months ago he would pee in the toilet,no problem.Then he stopped. 

Then about 6 months ago he started pooping on the toilet but  wont pee.  

I cant put him in preschool cause they wont take him in diapers......soooooo frustrating! 

Try just putting him in underwear, give him a weeks warningt hat next week he is going to start wearing underwear, that the pull ups are going to be gone. I did this with my oldest and it worked, she peed in them one timea nd got upset casue she peed on Dora LOL. Maybe you need to do this, and when he goes an hour with out having an accident then compliment him on how big of a boy he is and then go another couple of hours and if he still hasn't had an accident, then compliment him again and then send him potty and if he goes in the potty, reward him with a little treat. gove compliments every hour if you have to and also make a chart and whenever he goes potty, giove him a favorite sticker to put on his chart and tell hime when he gets so many stickers, he will get a special reward, up the amount of stickers every week, eventually he will go on his own. Always let him know how proud you are of him.........

November 13, 2005, 10:25 pm CST

Potty Training

Quote From: jettav

Try just putting him in underwear, give him a weeks warningt hat next week he is going to start wearing underwear, that the pull ups are going to be gone. I did this with my oldest and it worked, she peed in them one timea nd got upset casue she peed on Dora LOL. Maybe you need to do this, and when he goes an hour with out having an accident then compliment him on how big of a boy he is and then go another couple of hours and if he still hasn't had an accident, then compliment him again and then send him potty and if he goes in the potty, reward him with a little treat. gove compliments every hour if you have to and also make a chart and whenever he goes potty, giove him a favorite sticker to put on his chart and tell hime when he gets so many stickers, he will get a special reward, up the amount of stickers every week, eventually he will go on his own. Always let him know how proud you are of him.........

I did that. 

He wants to wear underwear so i bought him some ad told him if he peed in the toilet he could have a treat,well instead he would pee in the underwear and then jump up and down in the puddle or he would hide  the underwear once they were wet. 

I might try the hourly chart/reward thing , he just dosnt seem to care though. 

November 17, 2005, 5:21 pm CST

fun on the potty

Quote From: kdabam

How did this help in the training?  Did it work? 
Just wondering.
Yes it worked. The child has fun while sitting on the potty and wants to go often.

November 22, 2005, 2:49 pm CST

Help Please

I have a two year old and a 10 month old and I need help on how to potty train a boy with a 10 month old and hardly no time.. I have tried and everytime I get him on the toliet she crys for something( bottle, shes wet, etc) Any ideas this is my first time potty training and I have no idea what to do He tells me he peed after he does it in his pull up it is like he doesnt feel it until it comes but if I sit him on the toliet he goes sometimes.. Help please someone

November 24, 2005, 5:59 pm CST

2 year old wont pottty on toilet

I have tried every thing to get my two year old to go poot on the toilet, but he wont he jusr crys. He was doing for a little bit but then stoped. He knows he he goes in his pull-ups and will tell you what he has done. If you tell him to got to the poty he tells you NO. It is so fustrating cause he wont do it. I told him he would get to wear big boy under wear and he says NO. We try to read books on the potty sing songs he just gets down. He will put his potty chair up there and flush the toilet, but no go. He will even tell you when he is stinky. So I know what he is doing. Some please help me.

November 25, 2005, 10:28 am CST

How did you get your child to tell you when they needed to go?

I'm a single mommy with 2 kids, a 2  1/2 year old, and a 16 month old.  My 2 1/2 year old will sit on her potty chair, when i ask her to.  She can pee in it and will even watch when she goes.  She is showing all the signs of being ready to potty train, except one.  No matter what I do I can not seem to get her to tell me when she needs to pee.   She will point to it afterwards or fuss as she is having the accident.  I am trying really hard not to push her.  The other problem i am having with her, is she will take her poop out of her training pants or diaper and spread it all over my walls, windows, anywhere.  I've tried redirecting, time outs, showing her where it is supposed to go, putting zip up sleepers on her, I'm at a loss as to how to get her to stop this behavior.  Has any one else ever had this problem?  I've talked to her doctor and was brushed off, even her teachers have no advice.    More than being frustrating for me having to clean it up, its a health risk for her.       

November 26, 2005, 5:41 pm CST

Dont' worry about it

Quote From: daffie1201

I have tried every thing to get my two year old to go poot on the toilet, but he wont he jusr crys. He was doing for a little bit but then stoped. He knows he he goes in his pull-ups and will tell you what he has done. If you tell him to got to the poty he tells you NO. It is so fustrating cause he wont do it. I told him he would get to wear big boy under wear and he says NO. We try to read books on the potty sing songs he just gets down. He will put his potty chair up there and flush the toilet, but no go. He will even tell you when he is stinky. So I know what he is doing. Some please help me.
He's just not ready and that is ok.  My daughter is 3 1/2 and started urinating in the toilet about 2 months ago, and is just being to poop on it.  They all get it eventually and 2 is still very young for it.  Just keep up the routine of sending him to the bathroom and stop asking him if he has to go or not.  Just say "it's time to try the potty again".  Congratulate him for trying and let him know he is very successful at that task alone.  No kid goes to college in diapers and he won't either. 

November 26, 2005, 5:45 pm CST

Yikes!

Quote From: heavens

I'm a single mommy with 2 kids, a 2  1/2 year old, and a 16 month old.  My 2 1/2 year old will sit on her potty chair, when i ask her to.  She can pee in it and will even watch when she goes.  She is showing all the signs of being ready to potty train, except one.  No matter what I do I can not seem to get her to tell me when she needs to pee.   She will point to it afterwards or fuss as she is having the accident.  I am trying really hard not to push her.  The other problem i am having with her, is she will take her poop out of her training pants or diaper and spread it all over my walls, windows, anywhere.  I've tried redirecting, time outs, showing her where it is supposed to go, putting zip up sleepers on her, I'm at a loss as to how to get her to stop this behavior.  Has any one else ever had this problem?  I've talked to her doctor and was brushed off, even her teachers have no advice.    More than being frustrating for me having to clean it up, its a health risk for her.       

Personally, I think it is great that you aren't pushing it too hard, but the bad behavior is unacceptable.   If I had that issue, I'd lay down the law on the poop smearing stuff.   

Give her the wash rag and show her how to clean it.  Then warn her that if she does this again, she will lose a toy.  She can earn it back if she doesn't do it for a day or two.  It is not ok to do this at all and consequence would be appropriate here.  IMO 

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last