Message Boards

Topic : Potty Training

Number of Replies: 526
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:08:55 pm
Author : dataimport
Looking for advice on potty training? Share your trials, tribulations, tips and tricks with others here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 27, 2005, 5:00 pm CDT

Potty Training

Quote From: tawnia80

Hey all  I am a mom of  4 kids 10,4.5, 3.5and 2.5. And I must say that Potty Training has been A  big PROB. With the 3 youngest ones My 4 yr old is ADHD/AUTISM and my 3 yr old also has Prob and i must say i have tried everything that i can think of it seems like my 4 yr old only wants to go when he wants to go and its not always in the potty same thing with my 3 yr old and well i haven't even tried with my 2 yr old i feel like i am going crazy  any idea would be of great help
Maybe you can start by putting a sticker chart up for each of them and whenever they do go in the potty, praise them and put a sticker on the chart and when they get so many stickers they will get a little special prize/treat and maybe they will sort of feed off of each other here, I am sure if one gets a sticker another will want one as well. or maybe just start by working with the oldest first and go from there. I think if it were me, I would hold off on the 2 year old, maybe concentrate on the two older ones, especially the oldest. Maybe even do the marble trick that another person mentioned, whenever they go potty, they get a marble in their jar and if they have an accident, take a marble out and when they get it so full they get a prize. incentives are good and even a little competition is not a bad thing. It has to be consistent and maybe putting them on a potty schedule is the thing to do here, set a timer and whenever the time goes off they must go potty. May be time consuming and in your case, maybe just start with the oldest and at least get him on a schedule.

July 28, 2005, 10:46 am CDT

No #@2!!!!

my 2 year old son WILL NOT POOP IN THE POTTY!!  he won't sit on ANY potties (big or small).  he pees in the potty consistenly with no accidents.  but he insists on pooping in his pants!  we've tried reward systems, etc. but he won't sit on a potty.  he says he's afraid of the potty.  i've tried letting him run around the house without underwear thinking he'll need a place to go...BUT...you guessed it...on the floor!!!  i don't know what else to do.  HELP!

July 29, 2005, 7:45 pm CDT

pooping on the potty

Quote From: kelly123

my 2 year old son WILL NOT POOP IN THE POTTY!!  he won't sit on ANY potties (big or small).  he pees in the potty consistenly with no accidents.  but he insists on pooping in his pants!  we've tried reward systems, etc. but he won't sit on a potty.  he says he's afraid of the potty.  i've tried letting him run around the house without underwear thinking he'll need a place to go...BUT...you guessed it...on the floor!!!  i don't know what else to do.  HELP!

It is not unusual for children not to want to poop on the potty.  (boy or girl)It's almost like they are afraid to let it go.    I have many years of daycare experience and helped train alot of kids.  This is not an uncommon issue.  If you have started underwear stay with it do not give the option of a diaper or pull up to poop in.  When your son poops in his pants do not shame just say uh-oh you forgot to go in the potty lets go get changed.  Let your son clean up himself as much as possible, including if some falls on the floor.  He will not want to do it for long and would much rather go in the potty. Make sure you put on clothes that are loose fitting and easy for him to get off.  He also needs the skills to dress and undress himself. Forget reward systems try a hug, pat on the back, read a book together afterwards, or plain ol' good try.  They only learn to expect something for going to the potty.  Your son needs to figure out for himself how to poop in the potty, and when it is coming, with your guidance of course.  Watch your reactions.  If you make a big fuss it will just become a game and then you will go backwards and not forwards.  If all else fails you can try putting a cherrio in the toilet for him to "hit"  just do this long enough for him to become comfortable then continue training.  There are three things that we cannot make children do:  Eat, sleep and use the potty.  These are the biggest areas of struggle.  examine your reactions to the situation and make changes where needed.  This alone makes a big difference.  Don't give up it will all work out (No pund intended)

July 30, 2005, 11:53 am CDT

k He wont keep his diaper on

Hello,

I have a little boy who just turned two last week and he will not keep his diaper on. He has recently learned how to take his pants off and then his diaper.

He is resistant to the potty though but does know what poo poo and pee pee are. He is still reluctant to have me change his dirty diapers most of the time as I think he is just to busy playing to be bothered.

I want to start potty training him but my husband is very resistant insisting that he is just not ready. He only likes to play with his potty chair and the big potty scares him.

I did try letting him run around with a naked bottom and he would go outside to pee on the patio and even pooped out there a couple of times. Because my husband had to clean him up one time when he did that he put the kibosh on the potty training telling me he is not ready because he is pooping on the patio.

It seems like a novelty to him to let him do it outside as I am sure he has seen his father and brother pee outside many times.

That was a couple of weeks ago, now the last two mornings he has removed his clothes and his diaper by the time I go to get him out of bed and has pooped on his sheet, which tells me he no longer likes to feel it on him anymore.

My older son never did this...he was three before he could even identify what was going on in the potty direction and by then it was easy to explain. He did love peeing outside and pooped outside too and I would just always get TP pick up the mess and bring him with me as I showed him that the proper place to put the poo was in the potty.

I have done this with my 2 year old but am not sure he is old enough to understand me or not. He does communicate pretty well but the way he looks at me when I talk about the potty stuff seems like he is confused.

Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions? Think he is ready? Acting normal for being ready? Boys seem so much harder to train than girls. The underwear is no motivator at all for him but he does love being naked. Any advice from anyone who has trained boys age two?

August 2, 2005, 2:24 pm CDT

fun on the potty

When my grandson refused to go to the potty, we bought non methol, regular shaving cream and let him play with it while on the potty.  He loved it!  He could only have it while on the potty.  The shaving cream is easy to clean up and doesn't hurt a thing and ....loads of fun!  He had it in his hair on the floor etc. but it was worth it!

August 2, 2005, 4:38 pm CDT

did that help

Quote From: mammy103

When my grandson refused to go to the potty, we bought non methol, regular shaving cream and let him play with it while on the potty.  He loved it!  He could only have it while on the potty.  The shaving cream is easy to clean up and doesn't hurt a thing and ....loads of fun!  He had it in his hair on the floor etc. but it was worth it!
 How did this help in the training?  Did it work? 
Just wondering.

August 2, 2005, 5:19 pm CDT

Hi

Quote From: tawnia80

Hey all  I am a mom of  4 kids 10,4.5, 3.5and 2.5. And I must say that Potty Training has been A  big PROB. With the 3 youngest ones My 4 yr old is ADHD/AUTISM and my 3 yr old also has Prob and i must say i have tried everything that i can think of it seems like my 4 yr old only wants to go when he wants to go and its not always in the potty same thing with my 3 yr old and well i haven't even tried with my 2 yr old i feel like i am going crazy  any idea would be of great help
 I'm not sure if this will help you but friends of mine work with adhd and autism kids and they said the way they do it (for these children) is to pretty much stay in the bathroom all day.  Bring in toys, what ever and basically camp out.  I'm sure with 4 kids this is not practical but if you can have someone watch the 10 and 2 year old and let your 3 and 4 year old train together or if needed seperatley it may work for you.  Do the best you can do.  You have alot going on.  If someone offers to help you...let them.  Good luck.  Keep us posted
Karen

August 2, 2005, 9:14 pm CDT

Just an idea

Hi Everyone,

Two years ago, I was told that I'd have to teach a molecular biology lab to college students, and let me tell you, I never knew the subject so well until I had to teach it!!  So that made me realize that "teaching" is really the best way to learn something, if that makes any sense at all. 

So this gave me a new idea when it came to teaching my friend's four-year old son how to swim.  I "pretended" that we needed to teach his plastic toy doll how to swim.  I showed him what to do, how to do it, and then said he'd have to teach his doll.  So of course, he had to do it himself, and suddenly seemed to lose a lot of his apprehension.  Within two days, that boy was swimming and so proud that he was able to show his family and friends that he could swim!

Okay, so here's a suggestion for potty training.  Perhaps you could use your child's favorite doll or stuffed animal as an example.  Tell your kid that together, you need to teach this doll how to use the potty like a "big girl/boy" and then pretend to get really excited for the toy when it sits on the toilet, etc.  Pretend to throw it a party or something "BIG" and fun.  I'm sure this will actually take a lot more time and patience than other things, but who knows? 

I'm definitely interested in this topic because I have a 10-month old daughter who will be needing to learn how to do this soon!  I'll try some of these other suggestions, too, and let you all know what works! 

Take care and good luck!

August 3, 2005, 8:24 am CDT

Your doll idea has been used by Dr. Phil as well

Quote From: sushimama

Hi Everyone,

Two years ago, I was told that I'd have to teach a molecular biology lab to college students, and let me tell you, I never knew the subject so well until I had to teach it!!  So that made me realize that "teaching" is really the best way to learn something, if that makes any sense at all. 

So this gave me a new idea when it came to teaching my friend's four-year old son how to swim.  I "pretended" that we needed to teach his plastic toy doll how to swim.  I showed him what to do, how to do it, and then said he'd have to teach his doll.  So of course, he had to do it himself, and suddenly seemed to lose a lot of his apprehension.  Within two days, that boy was swimming and so proud that he was able to show his family and friends that he could swim!

Okay, so here's a suggestion for potty training.  Perhaps you could use your child's favorite doll or stuffed animal as an example.  Tell your kid that together, you need to teach this doll how to use the potty like a "big girl/boy" and then pretend to get really excited for the toy when it sits on the toilet, etc.  Pretend to throw it a party or something "BIG" and fun.  I'm sure this will actually take a lot more time and patience than other things, but who knows? 

I'm definitely interested in this topic because I have a 10-month old daughter who will be needing to learn how to do this soon!  I'll try some of these other suggestions, too, and let you all know what works! 

Take care and good luck!

For my son it didn't work because his problem was not peeing in the toilet  -- it was pooping.  He would go and hide so we knew he knew it was happening.  Sometime from February to June (I know this time frame cause he wasn't in school so when he went back he was potty trained.) he just decided to do it himself.  He would tell me he had to go and he still calls for help cleaning himself sometimes but overall he has it down now.  He was keeping dry through the night for months and just having the pooping problem during the day so we started him wearing underwear at night and then he wanted to wear them all the time...

Next I have to train my 2 year old daughter but I hear girls are easier to potty train -- we'll see.  So far, she sits on potty but forgets to take down her pull up but if you get to her and take it off she does go pee in her potty (sometimes even in the toilet!)  My big problem with her and pooping is she takes off the diaper when it is soiled and yesterday she decided to do this when she was supposed to be napping.  I went in to check on her as she was crying not sleeping to find her covered from hair to toes and the crib and walls were done too.  Oh the joys of motherhood! My hubby calls her his little artist....

August 6, 2005, 8:51 am CDT

pooping on the potty

I started my daughter potty training by putting her on the toilet when I saw she was pooping. It is the best way to get them over that fear. Yes I had a couple messy situations but I was doing that before she was 1 years old. 

If I saw her starting to poop (grunting and stuff) we would head to the toilet and she would finish there. 

Most of the time she was a scheduled pooper so at that time I woudl keep close eye on her and before I new it she was telling me she had to poop.  

Then I started working on the pee thing. 

If you have kids that hide when they poop, you already know what they are doing, try and get them to the toilet before they are done. That way they can't hold it, and they will see it is not as scary as they think... then remember you have to make the biggest deal out of it the first time and then a few times after that. I mean dancing around, call daddy at work if you can, etc. 

Hope this helps 

Tammy 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last