Message Boards

Topic : Potty Training

Number of Replies: 526
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:08:55 pm
Author : dataimport
Looking for advice on potty training? Share your trials, tribulations, tips and tricks with others here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 6, 2005, 6:58 pm CDT

Another Idea

I am in the process of potty training my 2 year old. Up until about a month or so ago, she had absolutely no desire to even sit on the potty. her sister was as easy as they come but my Anna, well, she has a mind of her own heheheh. She has been doing well this week as I put a basket of books beside her little potty and she looks at them as she sits on it and she is actually sitting at about 10 minutes at a time which is much better then about 5 seconds and continually putting her on, and she doesn't tell me no. I will also let her brush her teeth while sitting there and it has done wonders. Keep their littel minds occupied and they will be happy to sit on the potty. :)

August 10, 2005, 11:07 am CDT

No poo in potty

My 3-1/2 year old son will not poop in the toilet but WILL consistently pee in the toilet.  He cannot stay dry during nap-time or at night and, as a result, I put a diaper on him (the lack of control with urination during sleep can soak through an extra absorbency diaper).  My problem is this:  he waits until I put a diaper on him for naps or bedtime and poops then into the diaper while he is still awake.  He will withhold from defecating on overnighters at his grandparents, does not have accidents during the day, and is fully aware of when he needs to have a BM (e.g. he will run and grab a diaper and ask that I put it on - which I don't).   Has anyone else experienced this?  Please help!!

August 10, 2005, 8:35 pm CDT

Potty Training

Quote From: cawhitewtr

My 3-1/2 year old son will not poop in the toilet but WILL consistently pee in the toilet.  He cannot stay dry during nap-time or at night and, as a result, I put a diaper on him (the lack of control with urination during sleep can soak through an extra absorbency diaper).  My problem is this:  he waits until I put a diaper on him for naps or bedtime and poops then into the diaper while he is still awake.  He will withhold from defecating on overnighters at his grandparents, does not have accidents during the day, and is fully aware of when he needs to have a BM (e.g. he will run and grab a diaper and ask that I put it on - which I don't).   Has anyone else experienced this?  Please help!!
Have you tried putting regular underwear on him? maybe that will make him feel unfortable enough to want to gopotty. And have him to help you clean them. How about putting him on the potty after he brings you the diaper. One thing that I do with my two year old is to sit her on the potty while I am running her bath water, she also has a basket of books sitting beside her potty and I will sit there and read them to her and she has gone a few times during this, don't ask him if he has to go, just put something that he likes to beside the potty and that is the only time he is aloud to have those things, my daughter likes putting a sticker on her chart when ever she goes potty, maybe you can do something like this after he poops in the potty. I wish I could help you, in all honesty, my little one is harder then my oldest was with this, she is a stubborn little girl when it comes to this subject. Today, she absolutely refused to sit on the potty so I didn't make a big deal out of it, I put her in diapers and didn't attempt the rest of the day, We will be going out of town for a couple days, leaving tomorrow so I am just gonna let it go til next week and start over, I did this with my oldest at one point and having a fresh start seemed to help me not to be so stressed about it, though she was much easier then her littel sister, so we will see what happens with this techinique. Just hang in there and don't worry so much, give your self a breather if ned to. Hope I helped some, even if just a little.

August 10, 2005, 8:43 pm CDT

DR PHIL'S ADVICE

I HAD TRAINED COUNTLESS OTHER CHILDREN, BUT MY OWN CHILD HAS BEEN THE MOST CHALLENGING.  I DID EVERYTHING I KNEW THAT WORKED & THEN SOME.  I EVEN GOT THE DOLL THAT WETS FROM A FRIEND AND MY DAUGHTER HELPED THE DOLL LEARN TO GO POTTY.  SHE ENJOYED TEACHING THE DOLL, BUT WASN'T INTERESTED IN GOING HERSELF.  WE KEPT WORKING WITH THE DOLL AND ALSO HAD A POTTY PARTY.  WHENEVER SHE USED THE TOILET WE CLAPPED CHEERED & BLEW THOSE NOISY HORNS THAT YOU BY FOR BIRTHDAY PARTIES.  mY DAUGHTER LIKED WEARING THE PARTY HAT & PRAISING THE DOLL.(DR.PHIL'S ADVICE IN THE ADVICE SECTION OF THIS SITE) 

IT WORKED GREAT THE ONLY THING IS NOW EVERYTIME SHE GOES SHE SAYS,"ARE YOU READY YO SAY YEA MOMMY!?''  OF COURSE, I'M ALWAYS READY. 

SHE'S HAD A FEW ACCIDENTS.  I JUST WISH SHE WOULD POOP IN THE TOILET INSTEAD OF THE UNDERWEAR. (SHE JUST TURNED 3,WE'VE MOVED, & SHE HAS A NEW BABY SISTER: ALL THINGS CONSIDERED I THINK SHE'S DOING QUITE WELL) 

August 11, 2005, 9:48 am CDT

Yes

Quote From: jettav

Have you tried putting regular underwear on him? maybe that will make him feel unfortable enough to want to gopotty. And have him to help you clean them. How about putting him on the potty after he brings you the diaper. One thing that I do with my two year old is to sit her on the potty while I am running her bath water, she also has a basket of books sitting beside her potty and I will sit there and read them to her and she has gone a few times during this, don't ask him if he has to go, just put something that he likes to beside the potty and that is the only time he is aloud to have those things, my daughter likes putting a sticker on her chart when ever she goes potty, maybe you can do something like this after he poops in the potty. I wish I could help you, in all honesty, my little one is harder then my oldest was with this, she is a stubborn little girl when it comes to this subject. Today, she absolutely refused to sit on the potty so I didn't make a big deal out of it, I put her in diapers and didn't attempt the rest of the day, We will be going out of town for a couple days, leaving tomorrow so I am just gonna let it go til next week and start over, I did this with my oldest at one point and having a fresh start seemed to help me not to be so stressed about it, though she was much easier then her littel sister, so we will see what happens with this techinique. Just hang in there and don't worry so much, give your self a breather if ned to. Hope I helped some, even if just a little.

Thanks for your encouragement and tips!  Yes, my son wears underwear all day until nap-time or bedtime (then due to lack of control I put him into a diaper).  He will willingly run to the toilet to pee throughout the day.  But he's been throwing major screaming fits when I put him on the toilet to poop, even though he himself has announced that he needs to go, and withholds until he gets that diaper.  I think that I'll give the sticker chart a try ... and keep my fingers crossed.  

August 11, 2005, 5:42 pm CDT

not sure if this will help

Quote From: cawhitewtr

Thanks for your encouragement and tips!  Yes, my son wears underwear all day until nap-time or bedtime (then due to lack of control I put him into a diaper).  He will willingly run to the toilet to pee throughout the day.  But he's been throwing major screaming fits when I put him on the toilet to poop, even though he himself has announced that he needs to go, and withholds until he gets that diaper.  I think that I'll give the sticker chart a try ... and keep my fingers crossed.  

Unfortunatley your last resort may have to be the no diaper option.  get rid of them all (day and night)  don't mention it to much.  when we get wriled our kids love it.  Potty can become a control issue and he has the control because it is his body.  Just let him wear the underwear.  He has to clean him self up when there is an accident redress himself etc.  you can guide but help as little as possible make it his responsibility.  go about your day like nothing is different and just deal with the accident's as they come.  Don't make a fuss just lead him to the bathroom and let him get to work.  keep an eye out though.  I've had some boys "play" with the poop just to make a point.  But that is a mess for him to clean up as well. Make sure no big events are happening and you don't have to go any where.  You may want to camp out at home for a few days.  Sounds crazy but it may work.  be as patient as you can he won't go to college in diapers.  you'll get there.   

August 15, 2005, 3:15 pm CDT

potty training

I have a 3 year old daughter who I'm trying to potty train.  My husband and I have tried everything under the sun adn nothing is working.   Any help out there?  She has used the potty in the past but she is just not consistant with it.  You ask her where she is suppose to go peepee and poopoo and she says in the toilet.  She just won't do it.

August 15, 2005, 6:20 pm CDT

help

We have a two year old who won't go on the potty either.  She has gone pee twice and poop once and she knows what she's supposed to do, but she won't do it either.  I'm looking for tips to.

August 15, 2005, 6:48 pm CDT

Potty Training

Quote From: reag74

I have a 3 year old daughter who I'm trying to potty train.  My husband and I have tried everything under the sun adn nothing is working.   Any help out there?  She has used the potty in the past but she is just not consistant with it.  You ask her where she is suppose to go peepee and poopoo and she says in the toilet.  She just won't do it.
It is a normal thing for two and three year olds not to be consistent with going on the potty. Some kids are easier then others and they are all different. encouragement and praise is good, I use a sticker chart with my two year old and when ever she goes on the potty, she gets to put the sticker on and we cheer and make a make deal out of it, I take her in with me when I go and she will sit on her potty. I also have a basket of books there for her to look at which is the only time she is aloud to have those particular books and one of them includes the "once upon a potty" book which she loves. We also watch the video and talk about pottying. I don't stress out about it as I know eventually she will be using it like a pro.

August 18, 2005, 1:29 am CDT

potty

Quote From: tcghbroome

We have a two year old who won't go on the potty either.  She has gone pee twice and poop once and she knows what she's supposed to do, but she won't do it either.  I'm looking for tips to.
 I think it is really important to first make sure she can pull up and down her pants (this time of year is great for that.  In the winter get alot of stretch pants) She needs to do for herself.  This becomes helpful when she is wearing underpants and has an accident.  She can clean up after herself and redress.

look for readiness:
Is she dry at nap? Does she know that when she feels "full" then that is when she needs to go potty? She can express the need to you so that is good

Look at your schedule.  If lots of events are coming up then it may not be a good time to really get into training just keep letting her try until things have calmed down.

Let her watch you.  Consider a potty seat and step stool on the big potty and let her practice going up and down.

Keep it positive with lots of praise and hugs, stickers etc.

Make pottying part of her routine.  When she gets up and before bath.  Use phrases like It's time to use the potty let's go.  If she resists then tell her ok we will try in 5 minutes.  You can set your oven timer or if she is playing than say when you are done with that book or puzzle or whatever

Once she becomes fairly consistent than you can start with underwear.  Start on the weekend.  Let her go as much as she needs and ask her every so often not every 5 minutes.  She needs to know when she needs to go.  I think we want our kids to succeed in this so bad that we  may do everything for them and we become potty trained and not our kids. (ie pull up and down pants, put them on the potty, wipe them tell them when to go etc) Watch out for that.  It is really a natural response.  Just take your time and be patient it will happen.  If you get stuck.  come back and ask.  There are many experienced moms with great advice!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last