Message Boards

Topic : Potty Training

Number of Replies: 526
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:08:55 pm
Author : dataimport
Looking for advice on potty training? Share your trials, tribulations, tips and tricks with others here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 11, 2005, 8:57 pm CDT

My 4 1/2 doesnt go poop

I have a 4 1/2 year old who has just started showing interest in the potty,but not that much.He will go pee on the potty,but the other one is another story.I myself have gone with the Pull ups route.Ive told his teacher about it.She has told me put him in Underwear and then if I felt more comfortable put a pull upover the underwear. When he is on the bus and in class.But Ive noticed there are days when he comes home clean. As soon as he gets in the house he pees in his underwear even though hes a couple steps from the potty.Can anyone give me some pointers?Im just about ready to beat my head against the wall lol.

September 12, 2005, 8:27 am CDT

How will I know?

Hi, I was wondering how I will know when my little boy is ready to be potty trained? He is 23months old and will tell me when he goes #2 in his pants and wants to be changed, but he seems so young to start trainning.

September 12, 2005, 11:35 am CDT

Potty Training

Quote From: jillian32

Hi, I was wondering how I will know when my little boy is ready to be potty trained? He is 23months old and will tell me when he goes #2 in his pants and wants to be changed, but he seems so young to start trainning.
I would start sitting him on the potty and see how he reacts and let him know that when he poopies int he potty, he will get some kind of an award, such as maybe a sticker on a chart or a cople m&m's, whatever, if he is showing any kind of interest, it would be worth trying, you have nothing to lose. My oldest was potty trained during the day before the age of two, regressed when her baby sister was born but 23 months is not too early to start, just be consistent and patient.

October 3, 2005, 4:15 pm CDT

does anything work??

My little girl is two and doesn't even tell me that she needs to potty until she has already started and by that time it is too late. I have tried that reward system with no luck. Pull-ups seem to be pointless because even with the ones that have the wetness liner she doesn't seem to be able to feel that she has peed. As for pooping I know she knows when she has to poop because even when she was strictly in diapers she would disappear for a few minutes then come back stinky. I have done away with diapers completely now and am thinking about doing away with the pull-ups except for at night and when we are going to be away from the house for a long period of time. I just don't know what to do at this point. I don't force it but I do try to get her to set on the potty every so often and at least try but she won't do anything until she has her pull-up or big girl panties back on.

October 3, 2005, 6:54 pm CDT

Potty Training

Quote From: just_tracy

My little girl is two and doesn't even tell me that she needs to potty until she has already started and by that time it is too late. I have tried that reward system with no luck. Pull-ups seem to be pointless because even with the ones that have the wetness liner she doesn't seem to be able to feel that she has peed. As for pooping I know she knows when she has to poop because even when she was strictly in diapers she would disappear for a few minutes then come back stinky. I have done away with diapers completely now and am thinking about doing away with the pull-ups except for at night and when we are going to be away from the house for a long period of time. I just don't know what to do at this point. I don't force it but I do try to get her to set on the potty every so often and at least try but she won't do anything until she has her pull-up or big girl panties back on.
I personally do not stress over the potty training, in my opinion, it is a waste of time. Maybe try the panties and see what happens, it worked with my oldest. My youngest is 2 in a half and still not completely potty trained, though Iwo rk with her, I don't fuss about it.

October 3, 2005, 8:28 pm CDT

potty training

I have a little girl who is almost three and she is wee trained (mostly we have our days!) but I can't seem to get her interestedd in poop training I have tried offering rewards but she isn't interested I have tried putting her on the potty when I know she needs to go but she won't I find that she just dissapears off to her bedroom and does it in her pants. Any advice?

October 5, 2005, 10:54 am CDT

Potty Training

I have a 2 year old son and we have been potty training for about 3 weeks now.  He has done great with the peeing, but not with pooping...I don't stress over that part of it.  For the past 2 days now he has had accidents several time a day...not just once or twice.  We do the reward system, everytime he pees in the potty he gets to choose a sticker and place it on a piece of paper.  When the page is full he gets to go to the dollae store and pick out something special.  Any other advice..he just turned 2 in July.

October 5, 2005, 7:16 pm CDT

PLEASE HELP ME

I have a 4 year old boy and he knows when to use the potty, my son has chosen not to he is just being lazy. I put him in pull ups and big boy underwear he just takes them off and run around following me with diapers. He would rather be in diapers and he wont stop screaming till he gets a diaper on and if I dont do it he does it him self. The only reason we have diapers is because I have a 20 month old boy. What do I do to make him use the potty chair I swear I have tried everything. PLEASE HELP!!!

October 7, 2005, 6:32 am CDT

Try this

Something I did with my son that has helped is setting a timer for 30 min. and putting him on the potty when the timer goes off. He finally got to the point where he heard the timer and would go himself. This really worked great for him!!

October 10, 2005, 10:26 pm CDT

to potty or not to potty

It's good to know others are struggling with potty training as well.  I use to work in a class of 11 two year olds and helped potty train every single one of them, but with my daughter it has been a struggle.  About three months ago she decided that she didn't like wearing wet diapers any more so she started taking them off and running around naked.  So we started a little potty time.  She will tell me peepee and run to the bathroom, usually when she gets there she's already done it in her pullup.   She'll take her pull up off and climb up to sit on the toilet, ask for toilet paper and wipe herself and flush.  She then jumps off pushes her little stool over to the sink and washes her hands.  NOW if only I can get her to pee in the toilet!  She also tends to take off her pullup if she has a BM and of course it ends up on the floor.  I have a four month old right now and the panty idea just seems too much of a hassle.  We've tried the doll idea, but had to put a stop to it because she liked to put the doll IN the toilet.  I'm not sure if she just does not understand the concept of her peeing in the potty and just enjoys going through the motions or if she does and is being a little stinker to get my attention away from the baby.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last