Message Boards

Topic : Spirited Kids

Number of Replies: 162
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:12:56 pm
Author : dataimport
Is your child a bundle of nonstop energy? Are you exhausted at the end of the day? Share advice and support with other parents of spirited kids.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 8, 2005, 4:10 pm CST

Wild Five Year Old

My five year old is constantly doing things he is not  supposed to even after he has been told several times to where I reach the point of raising my voice. It gets very exhausting to repeat myself several times. Also to get him to do simple things like brushing his teeth I have to repeat myself. At school he is getting in trouble for the same thing the teacher will ask him not to do something or to do something and she has to repeat herself until he is on red. The school has a color chart green good, yellow you have been told once, orange you have been told twice, and red bad. We have tried time out chair, spankings, taking away toys or privilages, and also giving him a goal for the week such as going to the park on the weekend. There is not one thing that I can pin point that he gets in trouble for except that he does not listen. I do think he his hyperactive and has trouble keeping focused. I often ask him why do I have to tell him more than once and he responds with I don't know or I forgot. I don't think he doesn't know or has forgotten but, that he is being deliberatly defiant. He is not violent though. I know he is very smart because he excelling in his school work being at the top of his class, learning very quickly.  What do I do does anyone have any suggestions? I am very frustrated becasue this is a constant issue.  

December 17, 2005, 7:32 am CST

They can be cute.

Quote From: jb7ctx

I am going to check out that site and see what I can do. My youngen is driving me nuts! lol! I went to clean out her room and get rid of her old toys to get ready for Christmas and when I checked under her bed, low and behold what did I find??? Why I found half of my Christmas ornaments  under there along with a few presents! She told me the cat put them there! I thought my Christmas tree was looking bare but I figured the toddlers were rearranging the tree again, but nope, my daughter is up to her old sneaky ways again. Thanks for the advice!
That reminds me of a time when my son was that age. He kicked his older sister and when she told me and I asked him about it, he said, " I didn't do it. My foot did." I hope you have found some useful information on the website. How is it going?

December 18, 2005, 12:31 pm CST

I am with you!

Quote From: jopohoney

I have a 3.5 year old boy who is very busy.  I have 4 kids altogether.  And everything is about this Eli!  I yell way more than I would like but I get so frustrated.  I can't even go to the bathroom without him getting into stuff.  He climbs on the counter to get things.  We have tried the naughty corner and he just runs away as soon as we turn our backs.  We have tried spanking but he doesn't seem to care that he gets into trouble.  He just finds something else to get into.  He doesn't havea temper just very very busy.  He fell down the stairs a couple of weeks ago and gave himself a black eye.  the very next day he tried to do the same thing again but this time I caught him.  He has a younger brother, that thank goodness, is a easy going kid, but gets ignored because I am busy cleaning up the mess that Eli made or getting him out of things.  I barley start cleaning up one mess and he is onto the next thing.  It seems he is controlling the whole family with his busy behaviour.  We are thinking about putting him in Gymnastic in Jan because it seems that is what he needs but he needs constint entertaining and I am exhausted because he hasn't been sleeping lately either.  I can't keep up with this kid!  any advice on what to do.  all I get from people around here is that he is soo cute, and they don't seem to understand how frustrated I am. 
I have a 4yr old and a 2 yr old- both kids are whirlwinds. Both are climbers, both are energetic. yes, they are very well behaved in public, but man, when we get home, its one activity after another all day- from play-doh, to painting to snowmen outside, to sliding to barbies, to race cars to trains, beading necklaces to stringing beans-in the summer we are outside all the time, but during the winter, yikes! I wish I could get them to sit in front of the tv for a complete half hour, but they have too much to do. I talked to the Dr about this and he told me to be happy because most parents  complain about their kids in front of the tv too much.  Yes, its fun, but I would like a little time sometime for myself- my kids don't sleep either- but someday they will! Keep your chin up!

December 20, 2005, 9:31 pm CST

My sons imagination is driving me mad!!

I have a wonderful five year old son. He is very bright and energetic. The problem is, about a month ago his teacher sent a note home letting me know he had to turn his "stick" (in his class, yellow means warning, red means stop and so on) He had to do this for hitting another child, when asked why he did this, his answer was that "his brain was on backwards". He also recently started telling his teacher that he couldn't do his work because "his daddy had turned his arms into rubber, or his battery is low" Now he is our only child and has always had a wild imagination but during school I want it a little toned down. My mother says I'm overreacting and maybe I am, but I don't want to miss a sign. I would understand this behavior is there was trouble here at home, but there isn't any. My husband who is his father, get along well so I don't know where to look for answers. Any suggestions? Also, does anyone else out there have a child that is facsinated with scisorrs? He will cut anything!!!

January 9, 2006, 4:55 pm CST

Help?

My daughter is almost 4 years old now.  She is very strong willed and intelligent but she has me going crazy.  She was potty trained when she was 2 1/2 but has since regressed(only with urinating.)  At first we thought there might be a medical issue but we have ruled that out.  At this point we know she knows how to go and when she has to go but just chooses not to.   WE have tried reward, taking things away, sticker charts, ignoring it, leaving her in the wet clothes(which doesn't bother her at all,) etc with no results.  She has now begun walking past the bathroom and pulling her pants down and going on the floor.  When you ask her why she just sayd I don't know.  She also punches herself when she gets frustrated or angry which I'm not sure is better tehn the hitting me tantrums she used to have.  I don't know what else to do with her,  I think some sort of counseling is my next step.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  

January 10, 2006, 9:50 am CST

Dibeties?

Quote From: jowith

My daughter is almost 4 years old now.  She is very strong willed and intelligent but she has me going crazy.  She was potty trained when she was 2 1/2 but has since regressed(only with urinating.)  At first we thought there might be a medical issue but we have ruled that out.  At this point we know she knows how to go and when she has to go but just chooses not to.   WE have tried reward, taking things away, sticker charts, ignoring it, leaving her in the wet clothes(which doesn't bother her at all,) etc with no results.  She has now begun walking past the bathroom and pulling her pants down and going on the floor.  When you ask her why she just sayd I don't know.  She also punches herself when she gets frustrated or angry which I'm not sure is better tehn the hitting me tantrums she used to have.  I don't know what else to do with her,  I think some sort of counseling is my next step.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  
Have you had your child checked for Dibeties? My son was potty trained when he was 2 also. When he turned 4 he started wetting his bed alot. He would have angry tanturms and hit himself as well.  He craved lots and lots of water or liquid drinks. He would become confused at times. We had him checked for Dibeties and sure enough he was diabetic. He is insulin dependant. His blood sugar was extremely high and that is what caused him to wet himself and act abusively. A normal BG reading is 80 - 120, our sons BG was over 600 when he was admitted into the hospital. He is a miracle. If you havent done so yet, I would have her blood sugar tested for dibeties. Signs of Juevenille Dibeties: extreme thirst, frequent urination, headaches, confusion, leg cramps, tantrums, violent behaviors, flushed looking in the face. Please have her tested for Juevenille Dibeties. I hope she doesnt have it, but it kinda sounds like she might. Good luck and let me know.

January 11, 2006, 6:13 am CST

thanks for the reply

Quote From: jb7ctx

Have you had your child checked for Dibeties? My son was potty trained when he was 2 also. When he turned 4 he started wetting his bed alot. He would have angry tanturms and hit himself as well.  He craved lots and lots of water or liquid drinks. He would become confused at times. We had him checked for Dibeties and sure enough he was diabetic. He is insulin dependant. His blood sugar was extremely high and that is what caused him to wet himself and act abusively. A normal BG reading is 80 - 120, our sons BG was over 600 when he was admitted into the hospital. He is a miracle. If you havent done so yet, I would have her blood sugar tested for dibeties. Signs of Juevenille Dibeties: extreme thirst, frequent urination, headaches, confusion, leg cramps, tantrums, violent behaviors, flushed looking in the face. Please have her tested for Juevenille Dibeties. I hope she doesnt have it, but it kinda sounds like she might. Good luck and let me know.
Thank you for repying to me.  One of the first things her doctor did was test her for diabetes and she does not have it.  We also had her bladder and kidneys checked through a few tests with only normal results so at this point we are convinced that it is not a medical condition.  It seems to be she is doing this out of spite or anger for some reason.  Last night I caughther with her pants down peeing behind the couch.  I just don't understand why.  I want to help her but I can't get through to her.  Anyway, thank you again for taking the time to try and help.

January 12, 2006, 9:56 am CST

Nearly 3 and driving me crazy

My daughter will be 3 in a month and I am at my wits end.  I have a son 4 who is an easygoing boy.  He can watch a little movie, play nicely with his toys, draw and finger paint quietly.   

Then there is my angel.  She has no patience for learning to play her toys, 5 minutes max.  She has  a distructive streak that runs to  cutting curtains to opening up the fridge and pouring jelly and ketchup on the floor, breaking eggs on the table and biting holes in the bologna.  

I am not kidding one of her first sentences was "I'm stuck."  She has no fear, opens the pantry and scales the shelves to the top 6 feet.  She is a challenge, but also brilliant.   She is an escape artist and has always gotten out of any child proof locks that I have used.   

She is stubborn, doesn't listen and is resisting potty training.  I feel like I am scolding her all the time.  How can I harness that energy for good and not stifle her adventurous spirit?  Any help from other parents would be great.  I just need to know how to keep her safe and myself sane. 

Thanks 

February 2, 2006, 2:49 pm CST

Spirited Kids

Hi. I just became a member today because I am looking for support from people. I may have a child with adhd. She is 3.5 and struggling socially. She has no friends at all. Everytime I go on a playdate, she is constantly taking toys away from others. She pushes other kids and I hate to say this but it is so embarrassing. I don't even want to go anywhere with her. She doesn't listen to us 

and is constantly in time out. Anyone else out there with the same problem? please help. 

February 6, 2006, 9:27 pm CST

Single Daughter Needs Help

My daughter is 24 years old, she has two children (boy - 3 in May) (girl - 2 in June) and she is just not good with the children.  They are angels for Grammi, they eat well, play well and are wonderful out in public...they have respect for me and they are calm during the time that I watch them from 8:00am - 1:00pm. I worry about my grandchildren when they go home with my daughter...she is more concerned with herself, than she is with her children...she yells at them...it does no good, she told me they started throwing food at the dinner table the other night and she didn't know what to do with them...my grandson hits his sister when they are at their home, he never hits her when they are with me or when I'm watching them...I don't yell at them, I don't spank them, I talk to them or put them in the "naughty chair" and I follow through with what I tell them...I don't warn them 500 times like my daughter does.  She won't listen to me, she tells me to mind my own business that the children are her's not mine...it breaks my heart when she speaks to me this way.  If there is someone out that with "words of wisdom" I'm all ears. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last