Message Boards

Topic : Spirited Kids

Number of Replies: 162
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:12:56 pm
Author : dataimport
Is your child a bundle of nonstop energy? Are you exhausted at the end of the day? Share advice and support with other parents of spirited kids.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 21, 2006, 8:37 pm CDT

"spirited alright"

My 6 years old son is something else. He is the sweetest, well behaved kid, when he wants to be. Other times, I get calls from the school saying he needs meds. From the time he was 1-1.5 yrs old he would slam his head on things. He did it so much he had siezures in his sleep. He was tested and found no brain injuries. I have to wonder on some level it has effected him. He tells me he tries to be good but his brain wont let him. It makes me sad, but i do not want to drug him up. He does not bounce off walls or act nutty or anything most of the time he just speaks his mind. Which is not good sometimes.   

May 22, 2006, 7:39 am CDT

ADHD

I need help.  I have a 7 year old adopted son who has been diagnosed with ADHD and OD. He has tried almost every medicine from Concerta, Adderal, Straterra, Methalphanadate (sorry for the spelling) and now Ritalin.  Because of his Growth spurts, he cannot have any more Ritalin.  His Psychological doctor tell me that he can change his medication yet again.  My little one has been on medication since he was 5 years old.  He is not listening to us at home. That is when the oppositional defiance comes in.  I am ready to send him to military school at this point.  I am at my wits end.  I have an appointment with a pyschologist to take hime to see now.  It is tearing my relationship with my husband apart.   Can I get any advise? 

May 22, 2006, 5:41 pm CDT

too smart

The last couple of weeks my 6 year old daughter has been talking about wanting to go to daycare with her friend and how much fun her friend has there.  I explained to her that I stay at home and she does not need to go to daycare.  She has been bringing it up almost everyday saying she wants me to get a full time job so she can go there.  Anyway, today she found a way to get to Kindercare.  The other day she had my husband show her how to write "Winnie the Pooh wants to go to Kindercare."  Then she wrote on the other side of the construction paper that "Elyse needs to go to Kindercare." She put the paper in her folder  for school and gave it to her teacher.  Well, today my oldest comes home asking where Elyse is?  I ask  "She was not on the bus with you?" The teacher thought she should go in the van to Kindercare.  So my daughter got on in the van and when she arrived she told the women that "my name is Elyse and this is my first day."  On the way to pick her up I had to laugh about how smart she was to devise this plan but what kind of consequences should she get?  When we got home I explained to her that I was scared when I didn't know where she was and that I was happy that she was okay.   My God, what am I in for when she is a teenager? 

May 25, 2006, 7:00 am CDT

is he really autistic?

my son is 4 years old. he has always been sort of a problem child as he had tantrums, slept very little & usually was in a bad mood. he has delay in language development, yet he is very smart & loves coloring & drawing. he plays with other kids but of course the communication is cyt back due to his language defficiency. we had him go to a psychiatrist who tested him for autism & said he had some autistic features but nothing serious. we had a brain graph for him & it turned out that he has some extra waves on the right side of the brain. i really don't know what this means!  

i don't know if it's  something that can be treated or not... what should i expect? would he ever be normal or would he be another Rain Man?  

i hope not!  

somebody help me...  

May 31, 2006, 1:31 pm CDT

2yr old with Diabetes

My 2yr old on March 1, 2006 was informed that he has  

Diabetes Type 1.  I am still struggling with this but my son makes me feel better about it when he hugs me every time I have to give him a shot of insulin and check his Blood Sugars.  I just want to know if there is any other parent that hides their true feelings about their child's illnesses from everyone to make everything seem OK.  I am still holding on to the fact that JDRF will find a Cure or better solutions to the daily shots and priks to check Blood Sugar. 

May 31, 2006, 1:37 pm CDT

His he Bored

Quote From: nirenotrub

My 6 years old son is something else. He is the sweetest, well behaved kid, when he wants to be. Other times, I get calls from the school saying he needs meds. From the time he was 1-1.5 yrs old he would slam his head on things. He did it so much he had siezures in his sleep. He was tested and found no brain injuries. I have to wonder on some level it has effected him. He tells me he tries to be good but his brain wont let him. It makes me sad, but i do not want to drug him up. He does not bounce off walls or act nutty or anything most of the time he just speaks his mind. Which is not good sometimes.   

This sounds like something that happened to my brother's child.  Come to find out my niece was bored at school and was so gifted she skipped two grades but was acting up because she was bored in school.  Good Luck!! 

June 5, 2006, 1:07 am CDT

Don't give up.

Quote From: d_ghorab

my son is 4 years old. he has always been sort of a problem child as he had tantrums, slept very little & usually was in a bad mood. he has delay in language development, yet he is very smart & loves coloring & drawing. he plays with other kids but of course the communication is cyt back due to his language defficiency. we had him go to a psychiatrist who tested him for autism & said he had some autistic features but nothing serious. we had a brain graph for him & it turned out that he has some extra waves on the right side of the brain. i really don't know what this means!  

i don't know if it's  something that can be treated or not... what should i expect? would he ever be normal or would he be another Rain Man?  

i hope not!  

somebody help me...  

There is something called Asperger's Syndrome. It is very similar to Autism. I don't know about the brain waves though. Asperger's is like a mild form of Autism. The child that is affected will be very gifted in some areas and delayed in other. Most of the time it's nothing to out there but you just can tell something isn't quite right. With some adjustments and education for you as a parent and his school the child can function well. I hope you find out soon. Just understand your child is special. I'll pray the Lord will give you strenght and patience.  

Jacki1 

June 8, 2006, 11:58 am CDT

My kids "feed" off each other

OK I have a serious problem with my girl (5) and my boy (3) when ever we go out in public they "feed" off each other... What I mean is that they are GREAT kids while alone but as soon as we bring them together they try to get each other in trouble and yell and scream and cutt up... I cant continue to live life separate from my husband, beacuse wour kids cant behave together.... does any one have any advice for me?

June 8, 2006, 2:31 pm CDT

My daughter bites

Please help me!  My daughter is 21m old, and recently has started biting  this little boy at her baby'sitters.  There is another girl her age that goes there too, and they get along wonderfully.  According to the babysitter, the little boy antagonizes my daughter, and she put up with a lot before she bit him the first time a few days ago.  But yesterday, when I picked her up, I was told that she tried to bite him 3 times, but was stopped, and today, she did bite him twice.  What do I do!?!  I am at my wits end, and I don't want to stop bringing her to this babysitter....who loves my daughter, but is starting to get exasperated.  I told the sitter not to be afraid to discipline her, and she said that she sat my daughter in a chair, and scolded her. 
I feel that Nicole is spoiled when she goes there and knows that she can get away with it because any form of punishment that she gets there is not as severe as what she would get at home.
Advice, Please!!!!!!!!!!!

June 8, 2006, 7:06 pm CDT

Spirited Kids

Quote From: ruby21

Please help me!  My daughter is 21m old, and recently has started biting  this little boy at her baby'sitters.  There is another girl her age that goes there too, and they get along wonderfully.  According to the babysitter, the little boy antagonizes my daughter, and she put up with a lot before she bit him the first time a few days ago.  But yesterday, when I picked her up, I was told that she tried to bite him 3 times, but was stopped, and today, she did bite him twice.  What do I do!?!  I am at my wits end, and I don't want to stop bringing her to this babysitter....who loves my daughter, but is starting to get exasperated.  I told the sitter not to be afraid to discipline her, and she said that she sat my daughter in a chair, and scolded her. 
I feel that Nicole is spoiled when she goes there and knows that she can get away with it because any form of punishment that she gets there is not as severe as what she would get at home.
Advice, Please!!!!!!!!!!!

My son bit out of frustration, (he got bit at an early age from a friends kid) we basically sat him down and explained that teeth are for chewing food ONLY. it takes a while to get them to stop biting out of frustration but I dont think that "yelling" and "scolding" works for this behaviour cause the kid who is biting usually does not know what else to do... they typically cant say stop bugging me..... so it is thier way of saying it... tell your child to try to use her words and not to bite.... and if some one is pestering her that she needs to tell the baby sitter......and that biting is only to be used on FOOD not people or animals.... 

this biting thing can be very frustrating.... and I wish you the best.....  

I have my own problems wqith my two kids as you can see from the post before yours!!!! 

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last