Message Boards

Topic : Picky Eaters

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:19:25 pm
Author : dataimport
Is your child a picky eater? Share your tips, tricks, and menu ideas to help your child eat right, and enjoy it.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 13, 2006, 4:04 pm CST

Picky Eaters

Quote From: vkieran

Hi everyone, I am having an issue with my daughter. She will not eat meat or Vegetables. We eat dinner together as a family, the tv is not on. She refuses to eat anything other than pasta. She had problems with food when she was on formula and onto the baby food. She was in the 10th percentile of weight, meaning she was under weight. She is good now weight wise but she will not eat anything but pastas. how can I get her to eat more things that have more nutritional values in them??? I am open to suggestions.
Man, do I hear you!! Dinner time at our house is NEVER a good time. My son, like your daughter will not eat meat or vegetables or pretty much anything else for that matter. He will only eat a very limited list of dinners. I refuse to keep making the same things over and over. I am a pretty good cook and my husband enjoys all the different items I make. The TV is NEVER on during dinner and I have tried the 2 big bites of everything on the plate but all that turns into is a screaming match between the 3 of us. I keep telling myself, he will get better. He ate fantastically as a baby but as soon as the table foods started, he went downhill, and fast.  He is now going on 5 and still horrible. He will not try anything new and will not even taste anything. I am at wits end. He won't even drink pediasure because he doesn't like the taste. I don't know what else to do.

November 13, 2006, 7:18 pm CST

Picky Eaters

I think most kids rae picky eaters and we as parents just have to be creative and patient when it comes to our kids eating. I do not force my kids to eat anything but they do know that if they want a snack they have to eat well. My kids love pasta, so I mix in some veggies, I mix  frozen peas in my spaghetti sauce and lasagna dishes and we love it. chopped up brocoli always goes into the tuna casserole. I always keep campbell tomatoe and veggie soup on hand as my girls do like those.  I have also mixed veggies into a meatloaf. Peanut Butter is good to keep around as well, as it is protein. my girls do like salad so I will fix up a salad and mix in some grilled chicken, I cut it up very small, they don't even know it's there. My girls are not too  good at drinking milk so I do let them have chocolate milk on accasions, and of course alot of foods are made with milk and when I fix the tomatoe soup, I always mix it with milk instead f water, mush tastier that way, I put cheese on certain foods. These are just  a couple of ideas that I do but I  have learned that stressing over eating just is not fun and I don't do it but I do remind my girls of the rules, if you don't eat the good for you food then there are no snacks.

December 20, 2006, 10:25 am CST

Picky Eaters

I'm a vegan but i don't make my children be vegans i just cook that way but sometimes will add fish or something to there plates. My problem is that my daughter used to eat that without saying anything but since we moved closer to family they give her tons of junk all the time and even hide it from me everytime she goes to her grandmas house all they do is make cookies and stuff so much so that she has become obsessed with food. i try not make a big deal but she is starting to gain a lot of weight she is 4 and 43 in and weighs 42 lbs she has gained over 10 lbs in a year. How do i change her eating habbits back to the way they were before without her wanting junkfood? Thanks Casey

December 23, 2006, 2:41 am CST

Picky Eaters

Quote From: shrtconvoy

I'm a vegan but i don't make my children be vegans i just cook that way but sometimes will add fish or something to there plates. My problem is that my daughter used to eat that without saying anything but since we moved closer to family they give her tons of junk all the time and even hide it from me everytime she goes to her grandmas house all they do is make cookies and stuff so much so that she has become obsessed with food. i try not make a big deal but she is starting to gain a lot of weight she is 4 and 43 in and weighs 42 lbs she has gained over 10 lbs in a year. How do i change her eating habbits back to the way they were before without her wanting junkfood? Thanks Casey

If you simply do not allow her to even have the junk food she'll get back to healthy eating. She might go a couple days with only eating a bite here or there, but she'll get hungry enough to eat eventually. You are doing your daughter the hugest favor in the world by teaching her while young to eat healthy, natural, fresh foods.

If I were you I would sit my family down and tell them, "Do not undermine the way I choose to feed and raise my daughter. If I find out you are feeding my daughter junk food I am not going to be able to trust you alone with her anymore. I am her mother, I am in charge of her and you need to do what I say. I am sure you wouldn't have liked people telling you how to raise ME when I was a child."

That's what I'd do. This is just the tip of the iceberg...as your daughter gets older this will confuse her, by watching her family undermine her mother.

Good luck, I know these things are easier said than done, but you are only trying to do the best for your kids, which is your right to do as you see fit, as long as you aren't abusing them.

January 5, 2007, 6:15 pm CST

picky eaters

ok, i am 19 years old, and i am the pickiest eater, i dont want to be yet i  dont like trying new foods...and my family is always pressuring me to try new foods, but when i do, i just dislike the food...in a way i think that i am defeating myself; but i dont know how to fix it. anything that i have read is for parents and their 2 and 3 year olds...im 19 seriously, where do i go from here? anybody else having this problem?

January 8, 2007, 7:55 pm CST

Picky 9 year old! No vegetables or Fruit!

My 9 year old grandson will not touch any kind of vegetable except for a baked potatoe.  He also refuses to eat any kind of fruit.

The only things he will eat is meat (any kind) except liver.  Bread in sandwich form with meat.  He also likes fish, but only fried.  He absolutely will not touch a vegetable and if mom tries to force it he goes into meltdown and then forces himself to spit it up.  The same thing applies to fruit. 

I am very worried about his health!  Diabetes and Heart disease are really prevalent in our family.    He is currently grounded from the computer for a week because he refused to eat 1 slice of carrot tonight.  We have tried giving him all kinds of vegetable either raw or prepared in lots of different ways.  No matter how small the piece is, like 1/3 of a green bean, he would rather have the punishment than to even try it.

I am at my wits end with this.  Please offer any suggestions.

Thank you,

Shirl

January 15, 2007, 11:17 am CST

How do you get your 2 year old to sit and eat???

I have a 6 1/2 year old son who is the pickiest eater on the face of the planet! How do you get kids to try foods? Then my two year old daughter is also somewhat picky, but loves eating. She had rather eat junk foods instead of dinner. How do I convince her to eat her dinner? And how do I convince my son that it's ok to try new foods?

January 15, 2007, 7:13 pm CST

Picky Eaters

Quote From: djw2932

I have a 6 1/2 year old son who is the pickiest eater on the face of the planet! How do you get kids to try foods? Then my two year old daughter is also somewhat picky, but loves eating. She had rather eat junk foods instead of dinner. How do I convince her to eat her dinner? And how do I convince my son that it's ok to try new foods?

solution number one: don't buy junk food

solution nunber two: cook new foods for dinner

one thing that I do is make casseroles or something similar, my girls will not eat brocoli but they love my tuna casserole even though there are bits and pieces of brocoli in it.

kids are not going to starve if they missa couple of meals, they will eat when they are hungry and if htey know they will get treats whent hey eat well, eventually, they will catch on, but if they don't eat the healthy food, they get no treat. Works here................

January 24, 2007, 2:04 pm CST

fruit and veggie solution

Quote From: jettav

solution number one: don't buy junk food

solution nunber two: cook new foods for dinner

one thing that I do is make casseroles or something similar, my girls will not eat brocoli but they love my tuna casserole even though there are bits and pieces of brocoli in it.

kids are not going to starve if they missa couple of meals, they will eat when they are hungry and if htey know they will get treats whent hey eat well, eventually, they will catch on, but if they don't eat the healthy food, they get no treat. Works here................

Kids can get all the daily nutrition of 17 fresh fruits and veggies by eating delicious gummies by Juice Plus ...read Dr. reports and order on my site www.juiceplus.com/+CL20712

Look for the gummies under STORE. Adults take capsules (I munch on gummies too!)

January 24, 2007, 5:27 pm CST

Picky Eaters

Quote From: fruithead

Kids can get all the daily nutrition of 17 fresh fruits and veggies by eating delicious gummies by Juice Plus ...read Dr. reports and order on my site www.juiceplus.com/+CL20712

Look for the gummies under STORE. Adults take capsules (I munch on gummies too!)

LOL, No one in my household likes fruit snacks.  We will stick with the real fruit, and veggies and beside my kids are happy with a glass of chocolate milk and popcorn which they do not get everyday of course) so I don't even bother buying snacks for the most part. When we get the erge for an ice cream cone, we have a family outing and we go get it, makes it a lot more fun.

First | Prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | Next | Last